VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 13, 2018, 01:31 PM
VGMdb Staff

I hoped they will release at least arcade, genesis and pc-engine ports ost.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 04:22 PM

Ooh! The NES is finally getting a release. Does this mean I can finally rock out to the disco cave music? https://youtu.be/d1Jvr8C4E04
Old Mar 13, 2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
I hoped they will release at least arcade, genesis and pc-engine ports ost.
Getting the rights to the music for the Sega and NEC ports might be a bit difficult, considering they were not directly developed by Technos, but by licensees. Then again, Arc System Works (who developed the Mark III version for Sega) owns the rights to all the Technos IPs, so who knows.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 09:20 PM

I'll buy this, great!

"Is that all, stranger?"

Yes, that will be all. Only new release I'm actually excited to see in the last, what, 10 years?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 03:14 PM

Cool. Maybe they'll release Super Double Dragon.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 05:51 PM

Is Egg Music Records usually consistent with their sample album art being final?

'Cause I'd have preferred the first NES one: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=294928
Old Apr 14, 2018, 07:58 PM

Yes and the way the art is cropped on that sample cover makes me want to cry. Hopefully it will be better on the final album.

And who knows maybe there will be some interesting stuff in the booklet? *laughs in disbelief*
Old Apr 28, 2018, 06:55 PM

If it's anything like the two Contra albums that EGG Music previously released, it'll probably be just a collage of player character sprites from all three FC/NES games. I wouldn't mind if they used the DD2 promo art, since it's so iconic, but personally I would prefer if they use something to represent the whole series.

I always wondered who did the boxart for the first NES game. I never understood why western artists always felt the need to draw the Lee brothers with headbands.
Old May 4, 2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2x4 View Post
If it's anything like the two Contra albums that EGG Music previously released, it'll probably be just a collage of player character sprites from all three FC/NES games.
Oh yeah, they did those? I wouldn't mind that.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind if they used the DD2 promo art, since it's so iconic, but personally I would prefer if they use something to represent the whole series.
That and it already was used in a pretty darn good arrangement album.

Quote:
I always wondered who did the boxart for the first NES game. I never understood why western artists always felt the need to draw the Lee brothers with headbands.
I honestly never noticed that discrepancy before, but now that you mention it, it probably has something to do with Karate Kid.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:49 PM

Looks like the cover might not get any better after all.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:12 PM

I'm more annoyed at the track listing. They reused the track titles from previous albums, but they don't necessarily match the content of the NES versions (DD1 and 2 were arranged albums, while DD3 was the OST for the arcade version). DD3 in particular had different bosses for the NES version, with Ranzou's boss music in the NES version being Hiruko's boss music in the arcade version.

Last edited by Jonny2x4; Jul 21, 2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 03:59 PM

So this is just the tracks from those old albums, not fresh re-recordings from arcade+NES?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 01:50 PM

It's the original music from the three FC/NES games plus Double Dragon IV. I would imagine they're leaving the arcade versions (and other games in the series) for Vol. 2, although the arcade version of Double Dragon 3 already had an OST album with Combatribes in 1991.

Last edited by Jonny2x4; Jul 23, 2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Aug 16, 2018, 07:07 PM

FYI, CD Japan has a few copies in stock that don't require their proxy shopping.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EMC...ab55b763bca368
Old Aug 16, 2018, 07:42 PM

Is there a special bonus exclusive to ordering from AC Mall (like the Shinji Osoe albums that had bonus discs -- those were not included when buying from CD Japan).

If no bonus exists, I'm going to buy one, thanks for the info
Old Aug 17, 2018, 01:56 AM

Interestingly, the AC Mall link now says "You can order this from CD Japan starting today", and provides a link to CDJ. My guess is that it's the same contents.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 07:44 PM

They gave foreigners 2% of the production
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:15 AM

I picked this off of CDJapan (crazily enough I bought it blind without listening to the music somewhere like YouTube first) and I was pleasantly surprised.

I've played many Nintendo games, but at the same time my knowledge is a little limited since I mainly had a Nintendo six months before getting a SNES when I was young. I played many essentials in that small window but never did get to play the Double Dragon games. I did play and own Mighty Final Fight though... hmmm.

I can't say I have favorites in the first three soundtracks (I'm going to watch some lets plays for context) but there are plenty of interesting moments and I like how the more ethic patches in the music are weaved in and don't consume everything.

There are two things I don't understand however. I think the Double Dragon IV soundtrack is a worthy successor, even if the game seems to have gotten less than stellar reviews. However, why aren't the original version of the tunes looped? I mean there's forty minutes of unused space on the second CD and the 8-bit versions appear to be looped. Somewhat odd.

Additionally, not asking that the main entry be updated, but does anyone know the credit spread for these games? I may have missed it in the booklet, but from what I read elsewhere on the net Yamane did the first two games and Akira Inoue and Takaro Nozaki did the arcade version III, but the home version of III was supposedly a parallel project, not a port, and I've seen Michiya Hirasawa and Yoshihiro Kameoka's named added to the composer list for that version of the game. Is that correct? I know places like GameFAQs and Wikipedia aren't exactly infallible sources of information.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 03:28 PM

Hirasawa and Kameoka were sound programmers, not composers. The compositions in the NES version are the same as the ones used in the arcade game, the only difference, besides the actual sound hardware used, was the fact the NES version had an arranged version of the original Double Dragon title theme instead of the new title theme they used in the arcade game.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:31 PM

Wish we'd get a proper release with at least some of the ports, including the original arcade versions of course. I don't care much about Double Dragon IV made in 2017 that tries to be a 1992 game.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 06:15 PM

Shouldn't the price be 3,000 yen ?
Old Dec 18, 2022, 09:19 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Nope, printed price is without tax (税抜) and we include tax (which was 8% at time of release)