VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:50 AM

Interesting idea for an album! Apparently it's going to contain 30 different staff credit and ending themes from various Nintendo games. (Despite the title, I don't think it's restricted to just the Mario series.)

What are you all hoping appears on this album? We'll probably get something from one or both of the Mario Galaxy games I bet. And given that the staff credit theme to Paper Mario is "Mario & Peach's Theme," I'm pretty sure that means something from the PM series will be on here too, most likely the original on N64.

From the Zelda series, I really hope Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword get some love here (NOT Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, or A Link Between Worlds--as much as I love their ending themes, they already have full OSTs). I'm also hoping for Metroid Prime 3, but we'll most likely get the standard Metroid ending or maybe Metroid Prime's.

Kid Icarus: Uprising would be a great addition to this OST, and so would some of the ending themes to Xenoblade Chronicles (particularly "Beyond the Sky").

Last edited by Rew; Feb 27, 2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 05:02 AM

I hope that ALttP's Staff Roll Theme will be on the disk. It didn't make a reprise in ALbW.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 04:00 PM

I'd like to see something from Super Mario Sunshine, Thousand-Year Door, Wario Land 4, Wario Land: Shake It, Pikmin 2 and Luigi Mansion

Last edited by Gaiden; Mar 12, 2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 06:55 AM

Hmmm... This is supposedly due for release in three days, but no mention of a tracklist yet?

(Also, I agree about wanting PM:TTYD on this too.)
Old Mar 15, 2015, 01:49 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Redemption was bumped back a week to March 25 and they changed the title to just a placeholder, but they've also released the tracklist so that's nice. I'll add the new info in a bit.

EDIT:

More notes, because this probably won't have composer credits and everyone loves tedious notes. If I don't comment on a song or game, assume its composer or sound staff can be found on a soundtrack or MobyGames.

1.13: Masami Yone is credited for the reprise of this song in English Training: Have Fun Improving Your Skills.

1.15: credits

1.16: I don't believe the Spirit Tracks ending theme is included in the piano book that has composer credits; if it is, it's under an unusual name. The song has some Koji Kondo and Toru Minegishi reprises in it.

2.01: Koji Kondo only did one song for Twilight Princess and it's not this one so I left him out

2.03: Credits. This is a collection of games by different developers, each of whom have their own credits and sound staffs. I've included all the sound staff for completeness but the staff roll theme probably wasn't done by one of the minigame sound teams. The Nintendo sound staff are Toshiyuki Sudo and Daisuke Matsuoka, and CHAMY.Ishi is there with T's Music.

2.04: Kondo only did one song again, and Takeshi Hama didn't write this song either. "Music for cinematic scenes" was done by Mahito Yokota and Takeshi Hama while "other music" was done by Hajime Wakai and Shiho Fujii.

2.05: This is a combo of the original Star Fox 64 ending theme and the new one composed by Satomi Terui.

2.06: credits

2.10: credits

2.11: Credits. This is a combo of the original staff roll theme (arranger unknown) and the new staff roll arrangement that Mahito Yokota says he didn't write (so it's Naoto Kubo's).

2.13: Discussion about Tropical Freeze's confusing credits here

2.14: This is the staff roll from NES Remix 2. Sudo did the music for NES Remix 1 and probably the sequel, but I haven't seen credits for the latter.

Last edited by CHz; Nov 25, 2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 05:37 PM
VGMdb Staff

I'm pretty sure Yokota says in this interview that he didn't do the staff roll for Majora's Mask 3D: http://www.2083.jp/contents/201501zelda/page_01.html
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:30 PM

So I went over on the Club Nintendo Japan's website, but didn't see anything for this over there. How is this already "available" for 500 points if its not even listed yet?

Edit: Nevermind.. lol http://www.nintendo.co.jp/club/tokut....html#item_026

Last edited by Vegeta; Mar 18, 2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 04:41 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Hey, it's just like Konami Ending Collection!

Seriously, is it THAT hard for someone at Nintendo to come up with a properly descriptive album title? Please?
Calling it "Sound Selection" is so unbearably generic (and misleading) that it hurts.

I would have ignored this album altogether if I hadn't looked at the comments to see that it's really an "ENDING COLLECTION" album.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:51 AM

Certainly any material not yet released is welcome. MP3 is definitely a true ending theme to include.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 09:31 PM

The final title is revealed. It's called ニンテンドーサウンドセレクション
エンディング&スタッフロール

Nintendo Sound Selection Ending & Staff Roll
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/club/tokut....html#item_026
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:02 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Was getting rid of the Japanese titles really necessary?

2.03 I had the credits formatted like that for a reason; some people are credited under the banner "music & sound effects" and others just "music."

2.05, 2.11, 2.14 Do you have this album? As I noted above, each of these could conceivably be one of two songs from the game, which is why the credits were they way they were.

2.13 Wise has said unambiguously that the Nintendo team did some of the music in Tropical Freeze. Why is this piece Wise's?

Last edited by CHz; Apr 14, 2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 02:29 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Was getting rid of the Japanese titles really necessary?
I added them back now, but honestly, it just seems redundant to include both titles.

Quote:
2.03 I had the credits formatted like that for a reason; some people are credited under the banner "music & sound effects" and others just "music."
Fair enough, I'll change it back.

Quote:
2.05, 2.11, 2.14 Do you have this album? As I noted above, each of these could conceivably be one of two songs from the game, which is why the credits were they way they were.
Fair enough, I'll change it back.

Quote:
Never seen this, or I wouldn't have changed this. I'm still sure it's a Wise song though, with the prominent saxophone parts.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 02:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Sorry I came off kind of snippy there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
I'm still sure it's a Wise song though, with the prominent saxophone parts.
Agree!
Old May 19, 2015, 07:31 AM

This album is not cheap.
Old May 20, 2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
This album is not cheap.
But still cheaper than on eBay!
Old May 30, 2015, 07:10 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
2.05: Can't tell from the title whether this is going to be the 3DS version of the original Star Fox 64 credits theme that plays over the first section of the credits, the new song that plays over the 3DS version staff credits, or both in one track.

2.11: Credits. Like Star Fox 64 3D, I can't tell if this is going to be the original MM staff roll or the new song that plays over the 3D staff credits, but the new song is just a medley of Kondo songs so we can call him the composer either way.
Okay, for Starfox they went with the 3DS reproduction of the original 64 credits, so music by Kondo.

And for Majora's Mask it's the new medley track, so music by Kondo and arrangement by Kubo.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 06:38 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
And for Majora's Mask it's the new medley track, so music by Kondo and arrangement by Kubo.
Why Kubo and not Yokota? Curious.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:58 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Why Kubo and not Yokota? Curious.
From this interview with Yokota: http://www.2083.jp/contents/201501zelda/page_01.html

-- Will there be any new songs in Majora's Mask 3D? In Ocarina of Time 3D, the second staff roll had an orchestra recording.

Yokota: Yes, I added a song to the staff roll again. A different person is in charge this time, not me, and it's not an orchestra recording.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 07:24 PM
Trusted Editor

Perfect, thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:33 AM

I think the English tracklist might need a bit more info.. can't just have it say.. "Staff Roll" on half of the tracks lol
Old Jun 21, 2015, 01:41 AM

It's taken straight from the Japanese list. This is where the notes come in.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalgenius12 View Post
It's taken straight from the Japanese list. This is where the notes come in.
True, but on the back cover, the game titles are listed in parentheses as part of the track titles. (And it's a bit cumbersome to have to scroll down to the notes section and then back up again.)
Old Jun 21, 2015, 04:37 PM
Trusted Editor

Yeah, the games really should be listed too.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 06:52 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Since I apparently can't find any pics of the back cover without the obi, any owners of this album want to do me a solid and check the Japanese track titles for songs 2.09 and 2.10? Specifically:
  • 2.09: Is the song title "シンボルツリー(とびだせ どうぶつの森)" or is it just "シンボルツリー" without the bit in parentheses
  • 2.10: Is the song title "スタッフクレジット ~『トモダチコレクション 新生活』より~" or is it just "スタッフクレジット" without the bit between ~~
Those subtitle bits were on the Club Nintendo site, but every page/auction/etc. about the album I've seen doesn't include them.

Also re. the other discussion, game titles aren't song titles and I don't think they should be in the tracklist. Same reason we don't put the singer or anything else in there, because that's all ancillary data to the song title.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Also re. the other discussion, game titles aren't song titles and I don't think they should be in the tracklist. Same reason we don't put the singer or anything else in there, because that's all ancillary data to the song title.
Sorry, I just edited the tracklist but didn't see this until after I'd finished making the edits.

Nevertheless, in this case the game titles actually *are* the track titles. I looked at the back cover (that we have scanned in here), and the main song title is the title of the game, then with some variant of "Staff Roll", "Ending", or whatever in the Japanese equivalent of parentheses after that. So I think game titles are very much justified in the tracklist in this case.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 09:37 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
Nevertheless, in this case the game titles actually *are* the track titles.
Just because it's in the same line as the song title doesn't mean it's part of the song title. If that's the case, then every song on this album has ★☆◯◎※ symbols in the title, and every song on this album has one of ⒶⒷⒸⒹⒺ in the title, and every song on this album has "Composition & Arrangement: XXXX" in the title, and I could keep doing this for a long time but honestly that would waste my life compiling it and your life reading it.

If you want to make the argument that including those would be silly because those marks are just there to signify information about the song separate from the title, that's exactly the same argument I'm making here about the game titles. The game titles and song titles are each in their own separate columns, just as they were on the Nintendo site under the headers "game title" and "song title." It's just additional information about the songs.

And I get that it's a pain in the ass to have to jump to the notes to find out which of fifteen staff rolls is which, but you have to do that on every album in the database anyway to look up composers, singers, and all that jazz. The game titles aren't special in that respect.

Quote:
Japanese equivalent of parentheses
「」 are more like quotation marks, just by the bye.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Just because it's in the same line as the song title doesn't mean it's part of the song title. If that's the case, then every song on this album has ★☆◯◎※ symbols in the title, and every song on this album has one of ⒶⒷⒸⒹⒺ in the title, and every song on this album has "Composition & Arrangement: XXXX" in the title, and I could keep doing this for a long time but honestly that would waste my life compiling it and your life reading it.

If you want to make the argument that including those would be silly because those marks are just there to signify information about the song separate from the title, that's exactly the same argument I'm making here about the game titles. The game titles and song titles are each in their own separate columns, just as they were on the Nintendo site under the headers "game title" and "song title." It's just additional information about the songs.

And I get that it's a pain in the ass to have to jump to the notes to find out which of fifteen staff rolls is which, but you have to do that on every album in the database anyway to look up composers, singers, and all that jazz. The game titles aren't special in that respect.
I don't think you get what I'm saying. The song titles on the back of the album ARE THE GAME TITLES. The ancillary information (in the Japanese version of quotation marks) is the "Staff Roll" or "Ending" bit. Look at the back cover again. It's not like the main title of the song is "Staff Roll" then with the game title off to the side in quotes--it's the opposite.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 04:55 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
I don't think you get what I'm saying. The song titles on the back of the album ARE THE GAME TITLES. The ancillary information (in the Japanese version of quotation marks) is the "Staff Roll" or "Ending" bit. Look at the back cover again. It's not like the main title of the song is "Staff Roll" then with the game title off to the side in quotes--it's the opposite.
Actually, most of the time it's the other way around and the stuff outside the 「」 is the additional information while the song title is inside them.
Random example: http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=228502
Old Jun 22, 2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
Actually, most of the time it's the other way around and the stuff outside the 「」 is the additional information while the song title is inside them.
Random example: http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=228502
Dang, for real? That's really bizarre.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 09:21 AM

http://i.imgur.com/80WLm8h.jpg

Not sure how to scan this, or if I'd want to, dont want to ruin my book lol