VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 4, 2015, 09:25 AM

Default Secret of Evermore on Ebay

Has anyone noticed this?

I don't know how that happened, but they are going for very cheap. I bought one and it appears to be legitimate. This is for anyone that is looking for this one.
Old May 4, 2015, 06:36 PM
VGMdb Advisor

As soon as I read your thread, I was like "no way. There's no way this is legitimate. You are a dumb person."

But you are not a dumb person. If that is a fake, it'd be a well-reproduced fake. The other reason I suspect it's legitimate is that the seller's current stock of other stuff for sale all looks perfectly legitimate. AND I've never even heard of someone creating a bootleg look-alike of Secret of Evermore.

Maybe the seller just dug up an old box from a Babbage's or something, that had ordered copies from Squaresoft back in '95 to sell next to the cash register, they didn't all get sold, and only now are they seeing the light of day. Could be possible.

I'm very close to ordering one. Before I do, though ... Spirit_Chaser, are you familiar with the difference between a pressed CD and a laser-burnt CD? That'll be the ultimate tell.

There are tests you can do in the dark with a red laser-pen. Or you can look for a "burn mark" where the album would end.

Also, could you check to see if what's written on the disc's inner rim appears on both sides of your disc? The "ZOMAX-OPTICAL PLYMOUTH MN-Z11715 0L1Y3<1005>" bit?

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=53783

The last 4 digits might even be a serial number, so you'd have a different one? Not sure?

I'd really appreciate if you could look at that inner rim before I order one. Thank you!

Last edited by Ramza; May 4, 2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:54 PM

I don't blame you. As far as I know, there aren't any bootleg Secret of Evermore soundtracks. I was a bit skeptical, but because of the price I got one and just decided to play my luck. As soon as I got one, I analyzed it. It came as it was described, and the inner rim does match. I've imported it and everything sounds great. My first thought was the same; that a box of Evermore cd's was just unearthed somehow. I don't think I am too familiar with pressed CD tests besides how bootleg CD's have an obvious terrible quality cover.

Besides this seller, I've seen Secret of Evermore sell used on Ebay for $20 once on auction and another "buy it now" for $100. It's just a shame that it's not a complete soundtrack.

Last edited by Spirit_Chaser; May 4, 2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old May 5, 2015, 04:39 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Well, I'm sold. Literally. Just ordered one now.

Thank you SO MUCH for the heads-up Spirit_Chaser.
Old May 8, 2015, 03:27 AM

Looks like this seller may have found a couple of boxes. Yesterday after I ordered mine stock was at 7 remaining 23 sold. Today it has been updated to read "More than 10 available" again. Found the same seller on Amazon, too (the price is actually better on eBay, though). Stock numbers haven't changed there. I may be the only one fascinated by availability numbers, but there they are.

Maybe while this guy is unearthing treasure he could find a big ol' box with a Makaimura Ongakutaizen for me, a Konami Shooting Collection for Spirit_Chaser and various other OOP OSTs folks are looking for offered at low low prices. Stranger things have happened. Who says they haven't?!

Thanks for the heads up on this Spirit_Chaser!

Retro Gamer's Top 100 Games of All Time voting now open!
http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/...e-voting-open/

Last edited by waxattax; May 8, 2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old May 10, 2015, 01:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Received today. Did red laser test ... can't get good photos, but with my own eye, it was obvious. I had a burnt CD, a pressed CD, and the SoE album. This album is definitely pressed.

Beyond that ... the plastic seal (which I unwrapped, because I don't intend to sell this ever) ... it felt like the wrap jobs they did in the '90s. I don't know how best to explain that, but I'm sure you all have noticed over the years, and in different regions, the way that plastic wraps are applied to a standard jewel case? There are a bunch of variants ... in Japan, the horizontal strip near the bottom to peal away has been popular. In the US, you tend to have to rip at thin-edged corners where they're folded over, like gift wrap. This was like that, but not skimpy, as they've been in the past decade. It was ... old. It felt like the adhesives had begun to wore and it just ... felt like the '90s.

Definitely a pressed CD, and by all accounts something from awhile back. Totes legit.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:49 PM

Awesome. I was hoping you'd add a new post once yours arrived. Mine arrived Monday as well.

Examining it I would have wagered it was legit, but I'm no expert. Thanks for the crazy level of detail, Ramza (though my breath caught when I read: ...with my own eye it was obvious I had a burnt CD... On my Vita's small screen I initially overlooked the punctuation!) . And again to Spirit_Chaser for finding and posting this. Very cool. Gonna make listening to it that much sweeter.

Last edited by waxattax; May 12, 2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:14 AM
Trusted Editor

I already own it but I bought this one, too because why not? I can always compare my old copy to this one if necessary.
Old May 13, 2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
I can always compare my old copy to this one if necessary.
If you decide to open it, please do.

Old May 25, 2015, 10:10 AM

got mine today!
Old May 25, 2015, 07:23 PM

Holy crap, they were legit! No wonder nobody wants my copy!
Old May 27, 2015, 03:33 AM

Hey, has this turned anyone else's CD player green?

Only kidding, friends. They're legit.

dancey, even if you kept yours sealed, what say you?

Last edited by waxattax; May 27, 2015 at 03:36 AM.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:11 AM

Thanks for the heads up Spirit_Chaser
Old May 30, 2015, 06:53 PM
Trusted Editor

I opened my copy and ripped both. They're identical, right down to the laser imprint on the inner clear part of the CD. Both rips are identical, with an identical CTDB TOCID, copy CRCs, AR v1 modified CRC. They're even identical at the byte level. I think we can safely say these are 100% legitimate unless someone can prove he has access to glass masters and a cd manufacturing plant.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:02 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
I opened my copy and ripped both. They're identical, right down to the laser imprint on the inner clear part of the CD. Both rips are identical, with an identical CTDB TOCID, copy CRCs, AR v1 modified CRC. They're even identical at the byte level. I think we can safely say these are 100% legitimate unless someone can prove he has access to glass masters and a cd manufacturing plant.
We are blues clues super sleuths. HIGH FIVE!
Old May 31, 2015, 11:11 AM

looks like he has plenty of them i don't see him running out anytime soon
Old Jun 3, 2015, 04:49 AM

I normally don't check the forums so I just happened to be in the right place at the right time for picking this up. Why do I feel so smart for doing so little? I mean, it's something that shouldn't exist in the wild at this point- at this price or in these quantities. Makes me feel like a kid, somehow. Even if I couldn't buy anything (just like then!) it'd be cool to visit the old Electronics Boutique from my youth just to see SNES and Genesis game boxes on the shelf again- in all their shrink-wrap broken-on-one-end glory. *sniff*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andvari View Post
looks like he has plenty of them i don't see him running out anytime soon
Good because now that dancey's also confirmed it I want to buy another one hahaha!