VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 25, 2020, 06:25 PM

Default Purchase agent that doesn't require 100% deposit

Any suggestions? My current agent is OK, but requires me to deposit each and every time I want to bid. Even when I want to increase a bid because someone outbid me, I need to add the difference.

I've been a customer for years and this is starting to piss me off. Especially since credit card refund has to convert JPY again so I end up losing money for all the lost bids that the agent refunds me.

Looking for an agent where at least after a while they can sort of trust me...? And not ask me to pay upfront up to the last yen.

thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 06:16 PM

Zenmarket gives you ¥5000 credit to purchase items, but I think you have to be a frequent customer. They also keep funds in your account, so if you plan on buying from Japan often, you can just leave your converted currency there.

But once you place a bid, you can't increase it unless someone outbids you, so place your highest bid (they also do delayed [snipe] bidding)!

They also give ¥500 to referrals, but I can't find the link!

They charge ¥300 for purchases and a 3.5% deposit fee, so if that sounds like a better deal than what you have, check it out!

They also have their own shopping platform called ZenPlus and won't charge extra fees for using it.

By the way, which proxy service are you using? (please don't be ZenMarket!)
Old Jan 27, 2020, 04:17 AM
Trusted Editor

I've been using FromJapan for a few years and have been pretty happy with it. They used to do the deposit-thing, but switched away from it not that long ago. So now they only charge your card if you actually win an auction.

But yeah, they also have a ¥300 minimum service fee (higher service fee is optional and adds some extra insurance) per won auction.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 05:12 AM

those 2 sound great, i'll check them out asap. thanks for the tips

i'm using jpshopping.jp for some reason. i think the original reason was that their system is anal about payments (which are required before bidding no matter what), but once you are outbid, you can easily increase your bid and in a few minutes it bids for you. that saved my butt a few times.

i just can't stand losing auctions and receing back my payments with credit card/exchange fees charged. i'm paying for my money going away on monday and coming back on tuesday, it's ridiculous.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 07:18 PM

can zenmarket and fromjapan keep your items for x weeks/months and combine them for a single shipping??

fromjapan says that deposits are only valid for 20 days, that's way too short...

https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/help/fee#payment_methods

I totally forgot I had an account with Goody-Japan. They do the deposit thing, but it has no time limit, just found out I had 5,000y on it since 2015 and it's still there. They say they keep items up to 60 days which isn't bad.
I'll ask them if they have special treatment for long-time customers about exceeding the deposit. I don't think Japanese make exceptions though

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Jan 27, 2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:12 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
can zenmarket and fromjapan keep your items for x weeks/months and combine them for a single shipping??

fromjapan says that deposits are only valid for 20 days, that's way too short...
The deposit you're linking to here is payment deposits, which are optional, and it was my understanding that those were what you were trying to avoid? They still offer them, but you're free to use credit card or paypal instead.

FromJapan will store items for up to 45 days so you can combine for shipment, yes: https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/help/logistics
Old Jan 28, 2020, 04:38 AM

I went through their guide but there doesn't seem to be any mention of how it works. So they just record the credit card number and actually charge after you win the auction? Or do they charge first and refund if the auction is not won? It's the charge-first-refund-later I'm really trying to avoid. Deposit is still better than nothing, since it can be used later if you lose an auction.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 06:09 AM
Trusted Editor

They only charge if you actually win an auction.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:15 PM
VGMdb Staff

Not being able to bid for more than your deposit sounds like a real pain. I haven't used them in years but shoppingmalljapan always worked without any problems for me. It seems they allow you to bid for 5 times your deposit these days. To add to that, everything always went very smooth when I used their services - for example they allow you to store stuff in their Tokyo warehouse so you can ship 'everything at once' and their packaging was always top-notch.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:28 PM
Trusted Editor

Just a short note that SMJ is closing down. I'm not sure how long they still operate, but at this point you can't initiate any new orders. The only thing still working is shipping stored packages to your address.

EDIT: The closing down bit comes directly from the admins. It's not a guess from my side.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 01:05 PM
VGMdb Staff

Really? What a shame if that's the case. I can't see anything about it on their site, did they say why they are closing down?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 01:33 PM
Trusted Editor

No, I spoke with Nick (if you use SMJ you probably know him) and he didn't want to comment on the situation. He just confirmed that they're closing down. He mentioned that he might be able to share more information once "everything is said and done".
Old Jan 28, 2020, 02:00 PM
VGMdb Staff

Oh yeah I remember Nick. Well that's a shame, they were always so reliable. Perhaps the competition is too fierce these days.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Zenmarket will hold items up to 45 days. After that, they charge ¥50 per day per item.

There's more information regarding fees here: https://zenmarket.jp/en/fees.aspx
Old Jan 29, 2020, 04:55 AM

well, fromjapan confirmed they don't need deposit if you register a paypal account or credit card. seems weird but i'll give it a try
Old Feb 5, 2020, 05:57 PM

FromJapan's website is much better than I expected, and indeed I can bid freely like an Icelandic horse can run freely on his island. Wish I had asked before.

rpbtz: do you use the basic forwarding service or the premium one that includes insurance and item checking etc. ?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 03:40 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
FromJapan's website is much better than I expected, and indeed I can bid freely like an Icelandic horse can run freely on his island. Wish I had asked before.

rpbtz: do you use the basic forwarding service or the premium one that includes insurance and item checking etc. ?
Sorry, didn't see this until now. I mostly use the basic service and have never had an issue. I've used the premium one on just a few occasions where I was a bit paranoid about rare or expensive items.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 07:49 AM

That's cool, thanks for the info