VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:44 PM

The "buy at" link to CDJapan links to the wrong item, and CDJapan no longer has it listed.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:58 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for the alert. I've removed the link.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 06:53 PM

Based on the fact that Teruhiko Nakagawa's only track on here that isn't a Blazy Mix is Enemy or Friend?, a story event track, wouldn't that make Teruhiko the one behind the story events (and the Blaze-exclusive ones, fittingly enough) not featured here?

In addition, wouldn't it make sense that Chamy Ishikawa and/or Hiroyuki Hamada were the ones who did I Wanna Breathe and Just A Breath! (SE) along with all the other miscellanious in-game fanfares, as neither Hideki nor Teruhiko are given credit for them? They might not have originally composed I Wanna Breath and Just A Breath [Yukifumi Makino did**], but somebody had to have arranged them for the DS, right? (Especially how the last note of I Wanna Breath is held instead of a quick jab and Just A Breath! is in a different key). In either case, Yukifumi Makino needs to be turned dark blue in the artists section.

**NOTE: The Sonic Colors OST (http://vgmdb.net/album/21444) confirms that Makino composed this.

Furthermore, if Hideki did, in fact, do tracks 23 and 24, then wouldn't it have said "& Re-Arrangement on 23, 24" after it?

Mini-breakdown:
Hideki Naganuma: A New Day (Title Edit), Invincibility, Medley Rush #1

Teruhiko Nakagawa: The Ordinary Zone (aka Zone Select), Theme of Sonic's Event, Theme of Blaze's Event*, After the Fight, Kick the Eggman, Theme of Comical Event, Theme of Warm Event, Theme of Strained Event, Theme of After the Fight, The Last Zone (aka Zone Select 2), Anxiety, A Flicker of Hope, The Metamorphosis, Blaze Pinch!, Groove Rush #6**/*** (aka "It's a New Record!"),* Invincibility (Blazy Mix), 1-Up! **** (aka One-Up!), I Wanna Breathe****, Just A Breath! (SE)****, The Secret, Leaf Storm Zone (Demo Version)*****, Act Clear (Demo Version), Boss (E3 Demo Version), Boss - Pinch (E3 Demo Version)

*Through Enemy or Friend? (aka Blaze Appears) (aka Leaf Storm Zone (Demo Version)). The rest share the same general composition style, much like all the tracks credited to Naganuma. Another way to think about is if, based on Enemy or Friend?/Blaze Appears, Nakagawa is assumed to have done all post-boss cutscenes or all cutscenes period. These include After the Fight, Kick the Eggman and Blaze Pinch!, which all share the common elements of all the other tracks I've credited to Nakagawa.
**Groove Rush #7 = "It's a New Record! (Blazy Mix)" [Groove Rush #6 is a Re-Arrangement by Nakagawa that is reused for BOTH characters in SRA]
***Reused in Sonic Rush Adventure (under the name "Out of Breath" [official name now?]) [Naganuma is not credited]
****Used again in Sonic Rush Adventure and Sonic Colors (DS) [Hideki Naganuma, Masayoshi Ishi and Hiroyuki Hamada are never credited again]
*****Original version of "Enemy or Friend?"/"Blaze Appears;" first section was used to create that particular song heard in the final version of the game

Masayoshi Ishi: What U Need is PSG, Groove Rush #1 PSG, Groove Rush #2 PSG

Hiroyuki Hamada: A New Day (PSG Title Edit)

Credits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fmb-jax7p8#t=1m41s
Sound Director: Teruhiko Nakagawa
Sound Creators: Hideki Naganuma, Masayoshi Ishi [Chamy.Ishi (T's Music)], Hiroyuki Hamada (T's Music)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 26, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 02:58 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I take it the credits for track 23-24 come from the coverscans for SONIC COLORS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK ViViD SOUND x HYBRiD COLORS? If so, it would be useful to post that information here to ease verification.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:13 PM

I Wanna Breathe and Just a Breath! have been reused in other Sonic titles for the Nintendo DS, namely Sonic Rush Adventure and Sonic Colors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KtqiHDyEyw - Drowning in Sonic Colors

Since Teruhiko Nakagawa is the only one of the four sound team members involved with all three titles, then Tracks 23 and 24 are therefore his arrangements.

Similarly, the 1-Up jingle is unchanged, therefore it is composed and arranged by Nakagawa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKaZ2qtne5g - 1-Up in Sonic Colors
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:10 AM

Has anyone been able to rip their own copy? I've tried ripping it using EAC v1.03 (Will not detect gaps it stays frozen at Track 1) and dbPoweramp CD Ripper and none of them work properly when extracted, just 'silence' wav/flac files?

Is this AP?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Chip View Post
Has anyone been able to rip their own copy? I've tried ripping it using EAC v1.03 (Will not detect gaps it stays frozen at Track 1) and dbPoweramp CD Ripper and none of them work properly when extracted, just 'silence' wav/flac files?

Is this AP?
Sorry bro, you're not supposed to talk about ripping albums here. Illegal and such.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:01 AM
Trusted Editor

Since when ripping albums is illegal?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:20 AM

Not even that, since when are we not supposed to talk about it? lmao. I've seen over a dozen EAC logs posted, that's talk enough about ripping, it's the physical rip log. Is there some rule or announcement I missed?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:24 AM

@Neo_Chip:
Didn't encounter any problem, here. EAC 0.99 prebeta 5.

DXAshram:
LuLz. I always thought it was totally legit to create a digital copy of your album, at least until you keep it to yourself (along with the album) and don't share it
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
@Neo_Chip:
Didn't encounter any problem, here. EAC 0.99 prebeta 5.

DXAshram:
LuLz. I always thought it was totally legit to create a digital copy of your album, at least until you keep it to yourself (along with the album) and don't share it
Thanks nice to know its rippable, my laptop just got a BLOD time to use the desktop. Hope it works
Old Apr 15, 2020, 04:58 AM

Nowadays I've been starting to feel that the event tracks (save for "Enemy or Friend?") were actually composed by Masayoshi Ishi and Hiroyuki Hamada, and not Teruhiko Nakagawa. Sega Retro claims those two were brought in just to do PSG versions, but I don't see any proof of that. Those tracks also feel different from Nakagawa's stuff, as his work sounds closer to Sonic Advance 2 and the E3 Demo (his tracks are PSG heavy). It would make more sense for T's Music to be brought in to finish off the soundtrack than editing a few tracks. Maybe Ishi could clarify his role.

The drowning jingle is also said to be Nakagawa's, but I don't think the fact it was reused in titles he worked on is enough proof.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 09:44 AM

I believe this CD specifically contains all the music by SEGA (Nakagawa and Naganuma), with the music not included being (primarily) done by the T's composers - probably a mixture of lower production costs for only needing one CD and not having to deal with the complications of releasing music made by non-SEGA employees.

It's worth mentioning the game also credits Dimps' Hironobu Inagaki and Atsuyoshi Isemura for "Sound", arguably even more vague than the "Sound Creator" credit of Naganuma, Ishi, and Hamada. We know from what Tomoya Ohtani said about his involvement with Sonic Advance 3 that "Sound Creator" doesn't specifically mean composer. If I had to guess, though, the Dimps people were mainly involved with sound programming, while the sound creators (and Nakagawa) did music and sound effects.

Taking this CD's breakdown at face-value, tracks 23 and 24 are completely uncredited, being excluded from Naganuma's "All Trax", but unlike track 15 it doesn't get covered by Nakagawa's credits. We know they're Yukifumi Makino's composition, but arrangement is left uncredited.

I am fairly confident the event and map themes are by the T's composers - they are in a distinct style that's different from Nakagawa's 'Enemy or Friend?' - but I have no idea which of the two could have done what songs. For the PSG tracks, could be anyone, Nakagawa, Naganuma, Ishi, or Hamada. Naganuma is credited for What U Need is Remix and, though it isn't a PSG track, it is still a "lesser arrangement" of a Naganuma track, like the PSG tracks.

All in all, lots of questions, not enough answers. Maybe we'll get a full breakdown some day.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:19 AM

Honestly I would doubt that T's Music were involved with either 23 and 24 or the PSG mixes, seems they were cheaply brought in just to do the event and map themes as you said, likely that Naganuma and Nakagawa didn't have enough time to work on those. They were likely work-for-hire so Sega most likely have complete copyright control.

Back to 23/24/PSG tracks: I suppose we can't rule out that Dimps made those themselves, likely later towards the game's development. I'm sure most of what Isemura and Inagaki did was writing code to trigger music/sound effects in-game, but it's still possible they quickly whipped up these mixes (and perhaps some sound effects too). I'm assuming Nakagawa did most of the sound effects though.