VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 14, 2007, 02:02 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Default Related albums by game

Since everything is generated automatically by games entered in the database, y'all already see how an album with multiple games never has the association work since the database is looking for an exact text match in "Contains music from".

If/when the additional functionality is put into place, I'd like to see a multi-level system to determine strength of relationship. The hierarchy is just a rough idea for now.

1. The album entirely or mostly contains music from XYZ game
2. The album entirely or mostly contains music from XYZ series, including XYZ game
3. The album contains some music from XYZ game

Beyond that there could be some sub-hierarchy in the relationship levels by listing in the order of Official Release, Enclosure / Promo, Doujin, Works, Game Animation & Film, Demo Scene, [Bootleg], Other. It wouldn't really come into play except for the very frequently arranged games/series. But imagine it for a very popular game like Super Mario Bros. for the NES:
1. The album entirely or mostly contains music from Super Mario Bros.
a. Official Releases
b. Enclosures / Promos
c. Doujin
d. Works
e. Game Animation & Films
f. Demo Scene
g. [Bootlegs]
h. Other
2. The album entirely or mostly contains music from the Super Mario Bros. series, including Super Mario Bros.
album list generated through a-h schema
3. The album contains some music from Super Mario Bros.
album list generated through a-h schema
Lemme know if you need more clarification, or I can mock up an example list.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Isn't it possible to do like in the artist\composer fields and seperate each game by a comma and then the database seeks out the titles?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

This is already in our plans. I'm still trying to work out all possible relationships between series or games, and then relationships with publishers / companies / labels before I implement the table structure.

"Strength of relationship" is one factor I haven't considered though. Thanks for bringing that up, it's a great concept.