VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:19 AM

This seems like a small OST. Does it contain all of the game's music?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
This seems like a small OST. Does it contain all of the game's music?
Yes, it does. This reprint is a little more complete.

Hope you make a composer breakdown for this one too, BTW! Some tracks in this one are too hard to guess (e.g. "The Treacherous Woods"). I'm confident that Sonoda composed tracks like "Two Love", "LA VALSE POUR XANADU ~ XANADU NEXT BATTLE", "Xanadu Labyrinth" and "Egret Mountains". Final Boss BGM in Guardian Heroines Final essentially confirms "Evildoer" as Murayama.

Last edited by 《J》; Oct 23, 2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 04:09 PM

Thanks J, that's helpful! I was just thinking about the composers today while listening to it. I completely agree about your Sonoda picks.

"The Treacherous Woods" and "The One" both had me thinking of the more sophisticated field and dungeon themes from TITS FC. It's a bit trickier because the overall tone of the score is darker than Falcom's other titles.

Regarding the Guardian Heroines Final track you linked, I'm confused about Murayama. That track lists Eiichirou Yanagi as the composer, right? Is that an alias of Murayama?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 04:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Takahide Murayama = Eiichiro Yanagi has been "known" for a good while on the Japanese side of the net, but I've never been sure exactly how so I've never bothered to link them. This seems like a good time to ask actually, 《J》 do you have any details about that?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
"The Treacherous Woods" and "The One" both had me thinking of the more sophisticated field and dungeon themes from TITS FC. It's a bit trickier because the overall tone of the score is darker than Falcom's other titles.
Agreed. I haven't heard anything like the two tracks you mentioned from Jindo, Sonoda or Unisuga during that period, and nothing post-2005 Falcom/Xanadu Next sounds like these. I feel we can safely credit them to Murayama by process of elimination. Other potential Murayama candidates include "Harlech", "Clover Ruins", "The Eternal Maze" and "Time Crevice".

The problem is we have plenty of information about Sonoda (via composer codes) and Ishibashi (and Yanagi), but almost nothing about Murayama and Unisuga. The only things we know about Unisuga are the five 5 songs he composed for Nayuta no Kiseki and that he likely composed "Fateful Confrontation", "Confrontation", "Silent Desert" and "Water Prison". I think he's more skilled than Sonoda, but Sonoda has definitely improved a lot over the years.

(And we also know Murayama composed "Fight with Assailant" and "The Enforcers" from TitS SC, thanks to Takeshita on Twitter.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Takahide Murayama = Eiichiro Yanagi has been "known" for a good while on the Japanese side of the net, but I've never been sure exactly how so I've never bothered to link them. This seems like a good time to ask actually, 《J》 do you have any details about that?
The best (and only) evidence I have is Yanagi's own profile section, where he says he worked on the "sound team" of a "game company located in Tachikawa" after graduating from high school. Look at the very same page with archive.org and you'll see he explicitly mentioned Falcom.

Last edited by 《J》; Oct 24, 2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 01:24 PM

"The One" is clearly Murayama/Yanagi based on the intricate drumming you hear in tracks like "Pinch!!" from Sora FC. His work on Guardian Heroines, and tracks in Gurumin like "sight of silence" which clearly differ from anything by Ishibashi/Sonoda/Unisuga, tells me he prioritized unique guitar and drum lines that don't loop too often (like with Ishibashi or Takeshita). "Treacherous Woods" falls more in line with Yanagi's style, but could still be Unisuga since there's enough differences between this and "Clover Ruins", the latter being Yanagi's most emblematic track in Xanadu Next. I'm not sure about "The Eternal Maze", but wouldn't be surprised if Yanagi did that. He poured all of remaining energy and commitment into Xananext's OST before leaving the sound team, so I imagine he did more of the "maybe" tracks than Sonoda or Unisuga who had just joined.

(Meanwhile I disagree with part of Jormungand's Sora FC breakdown attributing tracks like "Tetracyclic Towers" and "Peace Bestowed by Twilight" to Yanagi. Those first two tracks land in a middle ground between Sonoda's and Yanagi's styles. They don't particularly aim for complexity in percussion or dramatic note doubling between instruments (in later phrases) the way Yanagi focused on—I think Ishibashi did them instead.)

Unisuga did "Beginning of the End" if we assume, based on evidence like Nayuta, that he did more radical electronic tracks in later Falcom games ("Person Who Brings End" from Ys Seven comes to mind). Me and a few others think "Devil Advent" could be Unisuga's since the orchestral style matches "The Final Choice" from Sora 3rd, and that piece differs in production/dynamics/echo from Sonoda's usual. The harp intro and restrained development in "Devil Advent" really stands out from "Castle Strangerock" and "Xanadu Labyrinth", let alone "Bump in the Road". Sonoda arranged "Xanadu Next Event" despite it featuring the accordion instrument that Yanagi introduced and frequently used at Falcom; phrasing style and French horn use speaks more of his involvement than Yanagi's.

Here's my current breakdown of who did what for this OST: http://pastebin.com/435y6xJh

Last edited by DragoonEnRegalia; Oct 24, 2016 at 01:25 PM. Reason: At least we still have credits coming in from Shirakawa/Kaneda!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 03:29 PM

This is all really helpful discussion, and I'm pleased to finally have an idea who composed virtually all my favorites from FC. Murayama--or I guess we're going to call him Yanagi now--if indeed the composer of those "Group D" themes from my breakdown, is a remarkable talent.

Quote:
Group D (This composer has a striking style--very crisp, sophisticated arrangement; great sequencing technique, very natural, not so tightly quantized (like Sonoda), skilled used of velocity; harmony, instrumentation, and voicing very rich and colorful. I'm certain the same person composed all of what's listed below. Though it's certainly NOT Sonoda, it could very well be Ishibashi. The Ishibashi tracks of Group C are in a very distinct style, but doesn't necessarily mean Ishibashi isn't the Group D composer. Then again, we know next to nothing about Murayama. The process of elimination would tell us that he is the one. It's interesting to note that this group contains almost all the field and dungeon themes and 3 of 5 town themes.)
1.03 The Byway of Departure
1.04 Provincial City of Rolent
1.05 Rock on the Road
1.06 Sophisticated Fight
1.08 Tower of the Four Wheels (uses TTOE theme)
1.09 Under the Moonlight
1.11 Secret Green Passage
1.18 The Steel Floor Blocking the Way
1.21 Pinch!!
1.23 Seaport City of Ruan
2.02 Wandering in the Darkness
2.05 Peace Given by Darkness
2.06 Leiston Fortress
2.08 Capital City Grancell
2.17 Let's be Lively
2.22 Decision to Leave