VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 7, 2016, 03:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Zethe: it's all good, mate. I had a feeling you were looking into Laswell, heh. That CD isn't spoken of too much (until recently I guess)..

Cyberdyne387: wish I could help. I don't think I've heard it before. But those samples all sound down-pitched for sure. Maybe you'll recognize it if you increase the playback rate? That last part sounds like something Aphex Twin might have done (but maybe you already found the source for that).
Old Dec 7, 2016, 09:33 AM

Not a sample spot, but something I think would be of great interest to the people in this thread.

My research on this subject has repeatedly led me to Crypton. While they are best known today for their involvement with the popular Vocaloid software, they were founded in 1995 to import sample CDs from the west. As far as I can tell, they were basically the only dedicated dealer in Japan at the time. And wouldn't you know it, their website is archived in the Wayback Machine. Most developers probably ordered at least some of their sample libraries through them. You really could not ask for a better catalog than this. They even offer a number of foley/sound effects CDs that were doubtless used in games and other Japanese media, as well. If you're stuck for what to investigate if you want to find game samples from the mid to late 90's, look no further.

I noticed that AMG products were conspicuously absent from their catalog. Some developers like SEGA seem to have gone out of their way to acquire libraries like Skip To My Loops, or the earlier Polestar Magnetics CDs. In other words, it's not exhaustive, but I can't think of a better place to start (or continue). More recent archives of their website obviously have newer products, but the shift to an integrated searchable database makes it difficult, if not impossible, to navigate.

Also, don't suppose anyone could help me source some of the samples from Rage Racer? I recognize a lot of them from other games, or know the original source, but for the life of me, I can't find the library they were actually sampled from. If anyone knows the source of "our crew" or Nixon's Apollo 11 phone call from Industria, or the rap or "you are engaged in an unauthorized procedure" from Mathemabeat, that'd be super spiffy. The rap also appears in Vatlva (and many other places), the THX 1138 vocal sample is also in Einhander.

e: Found most of them on Zero-G's Interface Dance!

Last edited by Vera; Dec 8, 2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:08 AM

Nice info on Crypton there, thanks for the Wayback link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarukameiKasumo View Post
Only semi-related, but i just came across a movie clip with the famous Capcom lead guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK9X41GxWSo

Also notice another guitar, sounds like the mega man guitar, though it seems to stem from the same patch, but it just at a lower key...That's interesting.
That's definitely the Capcom guitar, alright! That patch came from the Roland S-50 sampler, and it consists of 4 multisamples. The highest one of the 4 is the one Capcom used a lot back in the day, but if you were playing the original patch as is on the S-50 sampler, you'd get other samples in the lower notes, as you noticed.

Last edited by felineki; Dec 23, 2016 at 12:24 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 04:47 AM

Sorry to double post, but over my New Year's vacation I finally got around to playing around with the set of expansion cards for my Roland U-220 I bought earlier this year. And it turns out the lead electric guitar in Super SF2 Turbo is from the electric guitar card. Considering how much of that game's samples came from this one module and its cards it's not a particular surprising discovery, but it's nice to nail more things down!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 09:16 AM

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Track 11 (sample 7) from "Sounds Good New World Order Journey 1" was used in "Dark Beast Ganon"
  • Track 23 (sample 3) from "Sounds Good New World Order Journey 1" was used in "Gerudo Desert"
  • Track 23 (sample 5) from "Sounds Good New World Order Journey 1" was used in "Gerudo Desert"
Old Feb 4, 2017, 09:08 AM

Kaiser Knuckle
Old Feb 10, 2017, 05:51 AM

I don't know if this the right thread to post in and my apologies if it is not, but I've been looking for a sample for ages and I haven't been able to find it.

It's from MSHvsSF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXVY3s2o8qo

19 seconds in, would anyone be able to help me find the sample for this?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 05:23 AM

I think it should be high time for this list to be updated given the huge amount of discovery.

Super Mario Galaxy
  • "CueTip" form "Roland Fantom G6" was used in "Bunny Chasing"
  • "Paradise" from "Roland Fantom G6" was used in "Drip Drop Galaxy"
  • "VeloVoicez" from "Roland Fantom G6" was used in "Space Fantasy"

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • "Hal_Nuns Aahh" from "Best Service Hallelujah" was used in "Legend of Hyrule"
  • "Hal_Greg.Mmh Uni" from "Best Service Hallelujah" was used in Temple of Time"
  • "SPACEOSPHERE" from "Zero-G Ambient" was used in "Dodongo's Cavern"
  • "LORE DRONE" from "Zero-G Ambient" was used in "Dodongo's Cavern"

The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • "OMINOUSITY" from "Spectrasonics Distorted Reality" was used
    in "Snowhead"
  • "TUNNEL RAIN" from "Spectrasonics Distorted Reality" was used in "Great Bay Temple"

The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • "BA FX 02" from "Best Service Peter Siedlazeck's Advanced Orchestra" was used in "Twilight"
  • "RUBBER WALLS" "from Spectrasonics Distorted Reality" was used in "Lakebed Temple"
  • "LION BREATH" from "Spectrasonics Distorted Reality" was used in "Arbiter"s Ground"
  • "Indian 13-01" from "Zero-G Ethnic Flavours" was used in "Zant Battle".
  • "EMRECDUM01" from "Q Up Arts Voices of Istambul" was used in "Ook"
  • "SNAKE BYTE" from "Spectrasonics Distorted Reality" was used in "Forest Temple"
  • "STAR SHOWER" from "Spectrasonics Distorted Reality" was used in "Temple of Time"
  • "DEPTH PROBES" from "Spectrasonics Distorted Reality" was used in "Twilight Realm"
  • "Hal_Greg.Basses" from "Best Service Hallelujah" was used in "Gerudo Desert"
  • "Hal_Greg.Basses" from "Best Service Hallelujah" was used in "Armogohma"
  • "RAPTUROUS" from "Spectrasonics Distorted Reality" was used in" Before Battle With Zant"
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:19 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Ohhh, that's a great find, that Great Bay temple sample! Didn't know about some of those TP samples either. I hope I can get around to updating the "index" sometime..
Old Feb 12, 2017, 04:54 PM

In the second song, could i possibly be hearing the source of the Mega Man X brass? It's sort of there in the first/third one, but i hear it better in the second one, though i think i hear it better in the third than the first. If so, it sounds like it has an effect put on it for both MMX and for the warehouse theme here. Without the effect, it also sounds like the lead instrument found in another game, i'm guessing either x2 or mega man 7. But having it be the lead in the second one gives it that boomer kuwanger feeling.

What do you think? Could i be on to something, or am i crazy?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 07:16 AM

Hello everyone,
I am new here! :-)

I found this thread and I was hoping someone could help me.
I am desperately looking for a drum loop or sample that is used in Kingdom Hearts 2 Darkness of the Unknown.

Here is the Youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpaE-_sU4aY

You can hear it in the background. I found out that this loop is used in so many TV series. I have heard it for example in numerous tracks of "Pretty Litte Liars" and I'd love to find it.

Does anyone happen to know more about it? Has it been found?

I'd be so happy if anyone could help me! :-)
Sorry if I made any mistakes, English is not my first language

Thank you so much in advance! :-)

Last edited by DomiXoxo; Mar 30, 2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 07:36 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Hi there, welcome DomiXoxo.

I believe that sample is from a Spectrasonics library/VST. Or possibly "Percussive Adventures" (the first one) by East West. I bet peronmls, if anyone, would know. He's the guy to ask for KH samples.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 07:40 AM

Thank you so much for your fast reply! :-)

Does he come to this thread more often? Or should I send him a message and ask him?

Another question: Where or how can I listen to these samples from Spectrasonics library/VST or Percussive Adventures?
I haven't found anything :-(
Old Mar 30, 2017, 08:40 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't know if he checks this thread anymore, but yeah, you can try sending him a message. He may be more active on Silent Hill Heaven.

You can still buy all Spectrasonics products on their official site, so that's one place to get their VSTs and legacy libraries.
https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/index-legacy.php
https://www.spectrasonics.net/produc...here/index.php

Percussive Adventures was made in 1995 IIRC and has been out of print for a long time. It's quite rare now, so your best bet is finding a used copy on eBay or something.

(I can not legally provide you with any downloads, sorry.)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 08:47 AM

Thank you, I sent him a message.

Okay, thanks for sending me the links!
However, I only want to get them if I know for sure that that loop is in the library. I would be pretty sad if I spent my money on these libraries and later on find out that the loop is not in there, since they are very expensive

So just to be sure: Are you sure that the loop is in one of these libraries? Or was it more of a guess?

Thanks again!

Last edited by DomiXoxo; Mar 30, 2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:39 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Yes, I'm fairly certain it's in one of those libraries or VSTs. I'm pretty sure peronmls posted specifically about that sample somewhere. Maybe if you do some digging in this thread, or here, you may find the post. Good luck!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 05:00 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • "Anklung Pad" from "Roland: SC-88Pro / SC-8820" was used in "Lakebed Temple"

Xenosaga Episode II
  • "RODENTS A" from "Spectrasonics: Metamorphosis" was used in 1.12 "Albedo"

Last edited by Nisto; May 4, 2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old May 14, 2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiXoxo View Post
Thank you, I sent him a message.

Okay, thanks for sending me the links!
However, I only want to get them if I know for sure that that loop is in the library. I would be pretty sad if I spent my money on these libraries and later on find out that the loop is not in there, since they are very expensive

So just to be sure: Are you sure that the loop is in one of these libraries? Or was it more of a guess?

Thanks again!
Yoko used:

Symphonic Choir
Symphonic Orchestra
Stylus RMX
Percussive Adventures 2
Atmosphere
Noise Loops 1/2
Liquid Grooves
Metomorphisis

I found most the loop samples besides a few. Still looking for Deep jungle. DX
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:32 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Resident Evil 2 (Biohazard 2)
  • Track 35 (sample 2) from "Creative Essentials Vol. 7: Dream Zone" was used in 01 "The Beginning Of Story" (0:12)
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:25 AM

Hey everyone!

I know it is not a game but I was wondering if someone could tell me where I can find some loops Graeme Revell used in his Tomb Raider score.
I know he useless spectrasonics libraries but I could not find the samples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYrqCMVZ8Iw&t=570s

I am looking for the guitar sample in "The Letter" (sample starting at: 21:34)
I quite like the samples in this song. Does anyone happen to know any other samples of this track? like the percussion/the bells at the end?

Also I am looking for the strings in "Main Titles"(sample starting at: 1.13) Does anyone also know where to find that tribal choir in the track?

I would be very happy if someone could help me!
:-)
Old Jul 18, 2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiXoxo View Post
Hey everyone!

I know it is not a game but I was wondering if someone could tell me where I can find some loops Graeme Revell used in his Tomb Raider score.
I know he useless spectrasonics libraries but I could not find the samples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYrqCMVZ8Iw&t=570s

I am looking for the guitar sample in "The Letter" (sample starting at: 21:34)
I quite like the samples in this song. Does anyone happen to know any other samples of this track? like the percussion/the bells at the end?

Also I am looking for the strings in "Main Titles"(sample starting at: 1.13) Does anyone also know where to find that tribal choir in the track?

I would be very happy if someone could help me!
:-)
Main Titles: Could be from Spectrasonics Heart of Africa.

The Letter: "BAD BREED100" from Spectrasonics Bizarre Guitar.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 03:01 AM

If anyone could identify which library the sample lyrics "Reach for the stars, reach so high" are from in the Super Danganronpa 2 execution themes I'd be very grateful.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 01:34 AM

Thank you very much @Skull for your help! Finally I've found them! :-)

I have another question, I hope someone can help me!
I heard two percussion samples in a song that plays during a scene of a series.
I was wondering if someone could tell me which library they are from.. :-)

Unfortunately there is now way to watch the episode online anymore however I once recorded the part of the scene with audacity.
I uploaded two files in the zip data, one contains the part with the first drum loop and the second file contains the second drum loop

https://www.file-upload.net/download...loops.zip.html

The 1st drum loop starts in the file "Drumloop 1" at 3 seconds
The 2nd drum loop starts in the file "drumloop 2" at about 2 seconds

Does anyone know if the strings in Drumloop1 are also a loop?

I would be so happy if anyone could help me!! I have been looking for this loops for sooo long, please please help

Last edited by DomiXoxo; Aug 19, 2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 01:23 PM

Not hearing it at all.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Not hearing it at all.
Mkay?

Let's start with the most obvious one:

https://youtu.be/aTVPcw98S28

Or compare total_s.mp3 (01:33) with this:
https://youtu.be/Q0Bi-lcUxCk?t=17

Last edited by SehrStill; Sep 12, 2017 at 04:15 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 03:48 AM

Sorry, mixed up the thread and though this is about music plagiarism. Saw Masterbits did actual sample libraries and not just pre-made loops (that would never fit in the SNES' audio RAM anyway) so depending on whether these are their own sound creations and not stock synthesizer sounds that Wise could also have used these could be the same sounds indeed. Which sample libraries do these mp3s refer to?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 04:59 AM

Sound Collection 500 - 1000, Total Zone, Sonic Elements
Old Sep 13, 2017, 06:16 AM

Thanks. SC 500-1000 being redbook audio CD recordings of common synthesizers seem unlikely to me, but both Total Zone (sample library for AKAI) and Soniq Elements (sample library for Ensoniq ASR) sound like a good fit indeed.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:01 AM

Well, I've been following this (somewhat inactive yet rather interesting) thread for a while, but I've only recently just created an account, as there has been one sample in particular that I keep hearing which I have not been able to locate. It's a sort of bassy rumbling noise with a higher pitched whining on top. I've heard it in three locations so far:

One is in a Silent Hill 2 track, The Prison Basement. This is probably the best place to hear it. Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEYqUDhmiu8
(On a side note, I am aware there is a Silent Hill samples thread on another forum, but I already asked there and got no response.)

The second is in the TV series Farscape in one of the first few episodes, although I cannot remember which one in particular. I just remember it being in a part where it was used as a background ambience sound loop on a spaceship.

The third and final time I heard it was in the first episode of Cowboy Bebop, at the parts where the guy takes the bloody eye drug and you see it from his perspective, red screen and all. From this, I can tell that the sample is likely to be from a library before or around 1998. Any ideas as to what sample this is?

Oh, and because I feel I may as well contribute myself, here's one sample I found for an earlier post some time ago:

EastWest Scoring Tools - 60_Dark 1a Str

This relates to a post on page 9 of this thread, the one by RavenWolf, sample 1. I've certainly heard this sample in many a documentary. I don't know if anyone found this already, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I figured I might as well do so here.