VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:15 AM

Messed with the tracklist#1. My mistake, sorry.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:51 AM

bleh I had deleted the good one
I resubmitted it tho, also that thing looks like an enclosure

btw, there are too many platforms
Old Aug 11, 2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
btw, there are too many platforms
Well, BoFI-II is also available on GBA, BoFIII on PSP and BoFIV on PC so why not include it? Virtual Console versions (Wii, Wii U) was too much though, I agree.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 05:51 AM

maybe because those tracks were initially present only on first releases not on port
it makes no sense to add platforms for tracks of new albums when the original has none

bof iii ost has no psp selected for example
in a general way, it'll only make sense if the original music had been rearranged (like vp lenneth etc)
Old Aug 11, 2014, 06:00 AM

I'm not OK with Capcom trying to make "Breath of Fire 6" seem like it's a real entry in the series.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I'm not OK with Capcom trying to make "Breath of Fire 6" seem like it's a real entry in the series.
Yes, it's a BS move, but they have been shoehorning various franchises into the Megaman Universe for years, so its not totally unlike them.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I think it's unfair to say that without actually having played it to see how it holds up in comparison to previous entries. At the very least, the developers seem to really respect the series' lore. Plus, the music samples I've heard so far of the game's music are pretty great.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:17 AM

I agree that the music sounds fine. I'll be looking into it.

However, this is a browser-based game made by no former Breath of Fire developers. It's not a true Breath of Fire game, and I don't think I'm being unfair or unreasonable about that.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:29 AM

And next we can discuss how, when the singer leaves a group and they get a new singer, nothing that group does is really that group's stuff anymore.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:48 AM
Trusted Editor

Well except for Breath of Fire III and IV no Breath of Fire ever had the same staff of composers. That does not say anything about the musical quality, does it? Actually, I thought every Breath of Fire game has had its own distinct BGM and music style.

I guess it's more of a reservation towards mobile RPGs, which I don't understand because a lot of them look and play like neat SFC RPGs / early PS1 RPGs (and the lack of good stories is omnipresent in jRPGs right now..)
Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
And next we can discuss how, when the singer leaves a group and they get a new singer, nothing that group does is really that group's stuff anymore.
I agree. I'm fine with applying that logic to Final Fantasy as well, since Uematsu left.

Just throwing that tasty morsel of discussion out there.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:45 AM

Shit, you guys took the musical part of that analogy too literally. I just meant to point out the ridiculousness in Jormungand's statement. It's not like I got on my computer, booted up RPG Maker and called my game Breath of Fire 6. It's the official release, developed by Capcom and called Breath of Fire. I guess that pretty much makes it a real entry since it literally is Breath of Fire 6.

As for soundtracks... I don't even know where to start there. Yes, FFXI isn't actually the FFXI soundtrack because Uematsu didn't compose it. It wasn't actually the background music to the game. Oh wait, it was, so it's the FFXI soundtrack.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:16 AM

So, does that make Final Fantasy: All the Bravest a true Final Fantasy game?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 02:14 PM

A "true" Final Fantasy game? I kind of don't even know what you're asking. Final Fantasy is a franchise. All the Bravest is a spin-off game in the franchise. I hope that answers the question. I don't really understand what the question is though because I don't know what we're supposed to subjectively consider a "true" game in the series. Do you have some criteria or something? Have the criteria been agreed upon by a certain number of people?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 02:32 PM

My point is you're a little too hung on the names of the games. Most of us see these web-based tablet games as crappy, low budget alternatives to console RPG's and most of them turn out to be junk, which is the direction this game is headed. Okay, Capcom can call it whatever they want, but the facts behind the game dictate this is different from the previous games in the series. I mean, you can't pick up FFXI or FFXIV and play them like you would FFVI or VII, despite the name. Likewise, just because someone enjoys the soundtrack to FFVI doesn't mean they'll enjoy Mizuta on FFXI or Hamauzu on FFXIII. Just like if someone enjoys 80's Metallica, doesn't mean they'll enjoy them when they went through their alternative phase in the 90's. The literal name of the product means nothing, especially nowadays.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 05:23 PM

And my point is that you're a little too hung up on personal expectations for a product to remain as similar to its previous incarnations as you would like it to be.

As for the soundtrack thing, again, I'm not even sure where to start. "Final Fantasy music" kind of isn't even a thing. "Uematsu's style" is a thing, sure, just like "Sakimoto's style" is a thing. But calling that style "Final Fantasy Tactics music" instead is just mislabeling one composer's music as the only way the music in any game of that series can sound like. Sakimoto has a style, sure, and you can hear that style in a completely different series of games and think "Oh, this is Final Fantasy Tactics music" and you would be wrong because Final Fantasy Tactics doesn't own Sakimoto's music style. Similarly, there is no onus on the original Final Fantasy series to only have Uematsu's compositions in the background.

Similarly still, it's not fair to say that FFXI is no longer a "true" Final Fantasy based on changes. After the 11th incarnation, you'd really hope the series makes some changes. I thank the heavens that Omega Force/KOEI had the good sense to make the changes they made to Dynasty Warriors 6. They took a slowly stagnating game and breathed completely new life into it; new combo systems, new leveling systems, new skills systems... yet I would call it just as much a "true" Dynasty Warriors game as anything else in the series.

I will say this: if you took a game in the RPG genre and turned it into a racing game and then went from Blahblahgame 2 to Blahblahgame 3 with the transition, that would be a little weird. But what I'm seeing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
Most of us see these web-based tablet games as crappy, low budget alternatives to console RPG's and most of them turn out to be junk, which is the direction this game is headed.
is that your opinion is more about "I'm not going to like this thing" than "this thing has absolutely nothing to do with any of the previous games."
Old Aug 17, 2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
And my point is that you're a little too hung up on personal expectations for a product to remain as similar to its previous incarnations as you would like it to be.
Not what I said. What I said was a product will begin to differ and the company will still put the same name on it, if it's part of a franchise. This boosts sales. Whether you end up enjoying it depends on more factors than simply the name and consumers need to do their homework. That goes for both games and music.

As for tablet gaming, I haven't seen anything to make me think this way of making games results in anything good for the industry. An opinion, yes, but one that is shared by the vast majority of console gamers I talk to. See below and weep for anyone that bought this because it had "Final Fantasy" in the title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYd12L4iE4
Old Aug 17, 2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teioh View Post
Well except for Breath of Fire III and IV no Breath of Fire ever had the same staff of composers. That does not say anything about the musical quality, does it? Actually, I thought every Breath of Fire game has had its own distinct BGM and music style.
I was mostly referring to the game not having the same director, scenario writer, character designer, etc. I'm actually pretty flexible about who composes for series installments. But this new game is like having an Ivalice game without Matsuno, or Chrono with Kato.

GoldfishX expressed it precisely: mobile development lacks quality across the board, and just because a company brands a new game a certain way, doesn't mean it automatically meets the quality expectations set by previous titles. All the Bravest is a perfect example of that: F2P, paywall-driven gameplay, which constitutes a large part of mobile and browser gaming. These are not the games which earned the companies their (former) reputations.

Quote:
I guess it's more of a reservation towards mobile RPGs, which I don't understand because a lot of them look and play like neat SFC RPGs / early PS1 RPGs (and the lack of good stories is omnipresent in jRPGs right now..)
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I feel like you're a person who maybe doesn't play RPGs anymore? I only say that because... well, all those Kemco RPGs that get churned out on a monthly basis lack quality in all possible domains. I assume that's what you're referring to. If you can cite some other turn-based, classic style RPGs I'm missing on mobile that are as good as their decades-old descendants, I'll happily give them a look.

Mobile games are the bread and butter of gaming development in Japan right now. It isn't because people want to play games on their phones, it's because people spend so much time away from home and they need something to occupy them during train/subway rides. Quality does not matter here. Developers know this--even the big ones--and put minimal effort into their mobile releases. Thus, low-quality games.

Capcom can call this new thing whatever they want. And Square can make a sequel to All the Bravest and call it Final Fantasy XVI. And maybe they'll even make a new browser-based Chrono game where you have to purchase each era you want to visit.

Yes, these developers can do whatever they like with their franchises. But they can't compel me to buy their low-quality products. That's of course what they are counting on when they make this stuff: slap on a brand name and call it a day. What's embarrassing is when people come to the defense of these purposefully low-quality products, suggesting that well, hey, Capitalism, and that's supposed to be the end of the argument. As if consumers--people--should just settle for and accept the lowest common denominator.

To be clear, I'm not saying that's what you're doing, Teioh. But I want to clarify why many, myself included, will not (and are not obligated to) settle for less.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
As for tablet gaming, I haven't seen anything to make me think this way of making games results in anything good for the industry. An opinion, yes, but one that is shared by the vast majority of console gamers I talk to. See below and weep for anyone that bought this because it had "Final Fantasy" in the title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYd12L4iE4
Ow hellz yeah, that game iz awesummm >___<
Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:30 PM

Likewise, I would love to see a tablet game prove me wrong (RPG or otherwise). Stuff like Flappy Birds or even Candy Crush is cool for maybe a week then it dies out fairly unceremoniously.

People need to remember their history...The videogame crash in the 80's happened because the market was flooded with low budget, low quality, unregulated games that were churned out to make a quick profit and people got fed up with it. I'm pretty much a retro gamer at this point, so I'm immune to whatever happens, but I feel that may be the direction we're headed once again.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:18 AM
Trusted Editor

There's no denying that the app market has given us a lot of low quality and cheap products with horrible pay to win models.

What I'm saying is with so many famous designers (e.g Hideo Manaba), producers (e.g. Sakaguchi) and composers (Uematsu, Ito) lately switching to the development of mobile titles we should continue to give it a chance. A new one is coming up with Yoko Shimomura and the Mother 3 art director. Most of this is covered on Siliconera and interesting to follow.
If there's a legacy like Breath of Fire, even better. There's no shortage of new IPs either (Granblue Fantasy, Chaos Rings, FlyHight Cloudia).

Let's not talk about what makes a game good or bad because that's entirely subjective, as is the quality. You can find great art design, good music, etc. in some of these. From a budget perspective entirely or size/length/features we might as well compare handheld RPGs with PS4 titles. Dragon Quest 9 on DS? Why not..Dragon Quest 8 has just been ported to mobiles.

Back in 1995 not every game was a Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI either. so I suppose Final Fantasy Dimensions (which has awesome music by the way) is more true to the Final Fantasy franchise than a Final Fantasy XIII-2. If you consider innovation or immersion a measure of game quality, handheld titles have never been state of the art.

I might not be the right person to talk about this because yeah, I'm not playing a lot of RPGs anymore (the last good one was Xenoblade). And I wouldn't spend any money on mobile games.
But I still like to check out the free to play games that peak my interest. And I'm discovering some free to play titles have regular soundtrack releases for retail price (e.g. Brave Frontier). I like this trend and I consider it a proof of quality.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 03:54 PM

Hey all, I finally got this artbook/CD combo in the mail. Would it make more sense to scan the CD label for an image, or the artbook front cover? There's no CD insert/booklet that it comes with, unfortunately.

Also I added English names for the CD, using the existing names from Breath of Fire Original Soundtrack Soundbox while also translating the BoF6 song titles.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be ANY composer credits in the artbook, so we still don't know who BoF6's composer(s) is/are.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 04:58 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukaCola View Post
Would it make more sense to scan the CD label for an image, or the artbook front cover? There's no CD insert/booklet that it comes with, unfortunately.
You could scan both, but the disc will be used as the display picture.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 08:04 AM

Got it! Scanned the CD and the front/back covers of the artbook it came with.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 01:57 PM

Edited the tracklist to be more on-par with the official Steam tracklists.