VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 23, 2016, 09:42 AM

Default Why can't I find CD vendors in anime cons?

I've been to Pacific Media Expo, Anime Los Angeles, Comikaze and Anime Impulse in Pomona. I couldn't find any good selection of CD soundtracks for sale in the dealer halls there. Other than those, there are DVD's, manga, toys, collectible cards, etc. It's not like cons in the past. The last PMX I've been to last year finally had some CD's for sale, mostly Love Live Idol School Project. That I like, but more of some Arcade game music should be there as well. Has any of you been to anime cons in the past like in the 90's (and not from a few years back)where you actually find CD vendors?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:53 AM
Trusted Editor

Because strict CD vendors don't really exist anymore, the only notable exception is Otaku.com and I think they're UK based? And they really didn't exist in the past all that much. CD sales make up such a small part of a hobby retailers profits and that is essentially all an anime/game/import vendor is -- a hobby retailer. The only vendors that ever really had large CD stock were vendors like Right Stuf that used it primarily as a promotional/cross-promotional tool for their recent license acquisitions. There were also a handful of random generic "media" vendors that had a small section of music but much, much more video. I don't think any strict import music vendor can afford or justify the cost of renting space at a major con, either. It is insanely expensive to rent those spots.