VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 2, 2010, 09:42 PM

Default Lime Odyssey OST

Is there any more info on this release? All I can find is the streaming service on the official site (download isn't not prepared yet). Our database has a similar entry (e.g. Ys Online), but I think this is a borderline case.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:25 PM

This really isn't a "soundtrack release." It's more like they just posted some samples online. I'd say delete it.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:31 PM
Trusted Editor

Yeah, it also looks like some samples to me. If we start to classify this as free soundtrack releases we'd have to add an entry every time some samples for an upcoming OST appear on the net / publisher's site.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 05:40 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I agree, we probably don't want to add this one until there is a more finalized substantial soundtrack release.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:19 PM

Finally someone's uploaded samples to youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcQxq8wp_r4

Grrr, why don't we have this soundtrack yet!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:05 PM

Yeah, I asked Mitsuda on Twitter yesterday and he says there isn't a release scheduled at the moment.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 01:05 AM

What seems like a hundred years later, it appears unlikely we're going to know much more about Lime Odyssey. Because we now know (and it's obvious from listening to the game rip) that there are composers beside Mitsuda on the score, I want to provide a partial breakdown of assumed composition credits.

Before I begin that... I have a theory about the unusual state and incomplete knowledge about this soundtrack. To put it bluntly, I have a feeling that Mitsuda's portion wasn't finished. That is, most of his synth tracks sound like they are mock-ups meant to be performed in part or wholly by live instruments. One clue is the expanded use of piano, often an instrument used to create mock-ups but also an instrument Mitsuda tends not to feature quite so heavily (without a substantial ensemble to back it up) as he does here. Another clue is the actual arrangements of the music. That's not to say they sound bad--Mitsuda always sounds good--but they may lack the polish in terms of arrangement of his other "final" work.

To be clear, I actually really love all of Mitsuda's tracks here, even if some are really not technically "finished" (which I could be utterly wrong about). I wish Mitsuda started doing more RPGs again so we could hear more work like West Tumbara (Dark) and Nunudito Town. I consider them some of his best work, and the latter two are among my all-time favorites of him.

Without further ado, here's my breakdown. It's divided into two sections: those by Mitsuda, and those by the other composer(s) (Sirius Entertainment). I'm using track titles provided by the game rip. To my knowledge this is the most complete rip to date, but I would be happy to be proven wrong!
----------------------------------------------

MITSUDA
Alsarvana
Bluecoral Dark
Bluecoral Light
Bluecoral Town
Class Change BGM (live orchestra version)
Class Change BGM 2 (synth version)
Dungeon Field
Game Over (at the end, briefly uses "B" section of the main theme)
Krakunta Town (live orchestra)
Level Up BGM (live orchestra version)
Level Up BGM 2 (synth version)
Login BGM (main theme, live orchestra version)
Login BGM 2 (main theme, solo piano version)
Make Zone (live orchestra version of "Setup BGM")
Setup BGM (synth version of "Make Zone"
Nunudito Town
Opening Theme (Long) (live orchestra)
Opening Theme (Short) (live orchestra)
Overture Orgel (main theme, orgel version)
Pam Haze Dark (an arrangement of "Nunudito Town)
Pam Haze Light
Quest Complete BGM (echoes the main theme, live orchestra)
Saint Heaven Light (is there a Saint Heaven Dark?)
West Tumbara Dark (<3)
West Tumbara Light (live orchestra)

SIRIUS ENTERTAINMENT
Alharpran Town
Dubal
Dungeon Herograve
Dungeon Krona
Dungeon Nospeller
Dungeon Talun
Farm
Louran
Port
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (arrangement of the titular Holiday song)
Valkaras Town
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:40 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Great research! I've heard Mitsuda didn't release this because he was really dissatisfied with the quality of the recording. I think if he would release his part of the soundtrack, he would want to record everything anew.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 03:17 AM

I suppose he would. I think it's possible that the game's developer used Mitsuda's tracks as-is, and funding ran out (or was withdrawn) to record more live performers. Considering Lime Odyssey's very long beta stage, this wouldn't surprise me.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 07:20 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I suppose he would. I think it's possible that the game's developer used Mitsuda's tracks as-is, and funding ran out (or was withdrawn) to record more live performers. Considering Lime Odyssey's very long beta stage, this wouldn't surprise me.
it makes alot of sense, I agree.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:34 PM

Isn't Lime Odyssey confirmed to never leave beta now? I remember reading that somewhere earlier last month. If so that will be a major disappointment, for years I've been anticipating hearing Mitsuda's soundtrack in context.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ultimate Mario Fan View Post
Isn't Lime Odyssey confirmed to never leave beta now? I remember reading that somewhere earlier last month. If so that will be a major disappointment, for years I've been anticipating hearing Mitsuda's soundtrack in context.
Same here. I managed to track down every available track that people had posted from game rips and such, but I really was hoping for a true release of the game, and definitely wanted an OST. Some of the music from that game I regard as among Mitsuda's best work.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitch_84 View Post
Some of the music from that game I regard as among Mitsuda's best work.
I agree. West Tumbara Dark and Nunudito are especially great. A cross between Lime Odyssey, Shadow Hearts 2, and Chrono Cross would be the perfect mix for Chrono Break.

*proceeds to nearest corner to cry, cursing Square Enix with various obscenities*
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:32 AM

@Jormungand: I've only just gotten around to listening to this and as wonderful as it is, there's just one thing about your assumed breakdown above that I can't understand.

Namely, how do you have "Farm" as not being a Mitsuda track? That is legitimately coming in at about 85% on my Mitsu-radar (my own term )
Old Jan 20, 2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenissimusDux View Post
@Jormungand: I've only just gotten around to listening to this and as wonderful as it is, there's just one thing about your assumed breakdown above that I can't understand.

Namely, how do you have "Farm" as not being a Mitsuda track? That is legitimately coming in at about 85% on my Mitsu-radar (my own term )
Yeah, it could be. I guess for me it doesn't hit the usual harmonic beats that tend to give Mitsuda away. There's a part in the middle that sort of leans that way, but overall I'm not really feeling it. /Shulk

One interesting thing about this track (and a few others I marked to Sirius Entertainment) is that it's clearly a prototype for a planned live-orchestra recording (just like most/all of the Mitsuda tracks). You can tell because of the unequal EQ and balance of the orchestral instruments... omg those woodwind trills!)
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:07 PM
Trusted Editor

the game was closed due to lack of funds, apparently.