VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 29, 2013, 07:32 AM

So it looks like this will have ~5 hours of music and (apparently?) have all the music from the first version of FFXIV. Also the disc will have mp3's on it that you can use (much like how it was on the FF Orchestral blu-ray disc).
Old Aug 20, 2013, 03:06 PM

There is a discrepancy between the credits in this and the FFXIV Field Tracks album about "Aetherial Slumber"; Field Tracks credits Kenichiro Fukui for arrangement, whereas this album credits Tsutomu Narita. I'm guessing it is Fukui and that it was just a copy/paste error since that track is in the midst of a long stretch of Narita-arranged music. Fukui and Michio Okamiya are named in the general credits at the end of the book for arrangement, but neither ever come up in the track-by-track credits.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:26 PM

Last edited by Guitarist500; Dec 29, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 06:29 AM

Yes it has mp3s in a zip file you can either copy from your PC if you have a BD drive or connect your player to your network and get them. They are standard 320 44.1/16.

The music is 96/24 PCM so that means you don't need a Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD lossless decoder since any system will play PCM, so better then lossless formats for most like me.

My only complaint is no surround 5.1 mix, but most music works best in 2.0 unless it's a concert.

Does anyone know if this was seqenced on PS3 or if it's pure studio? The quality sounds to good for ps3 seqence.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 07:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor

There's another discrepancy with the track "Freedom", here it's credited to Nobuo Uematsu, but in the Eorzean Frontiers album (the iTunes one) it was credited to Masayoshi Soken. It's most likely from Uematsu though, as it was one of the very first tracks we heard from the game. Plus the iTunes credits were a mess.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:58 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeBar View Post
=Does anyone know if this was seqenced on PS3 or if it's pure studio? The quality sounds to good for ps3 seqence.
PS3 doesn't have a on-board sequencer like the PS1 and PS2 did. And normally I would say the soundtrack is composed by a sequencer such as Cubase or Pro Logic (as in the case with the majority of Japanese game soundtracks nowadays), but the liner notes credit:
Quote:
"Guitars: Nozomi Furukawa
Flute & Quena: Hideyo Takakuwa
Violin: Koichiro Muroya
Saxophone: Yoshinari Takegami
Chorus: Mami Shitara, Music Creation"
without any mention of a specific song. The fact that Uematsu's songs are arranged here, I'd say the songs incorporate real instruments as much as possible, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by dissident93; Sep 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:06 PM

For those who are interested in the claim of this album containing 24-bit/96kHz music, here is an example spectogram of track 4, "Freedom", showing the frequency spectrum of the uncompressed 96kHz sampling rate music files on the Blu-ray:
Spoiler:

This indicates that these 96kHz files were upsampled from 44.1kHz. The spikes sticking out above the rest are distortion, the result of clipping. A close examination of the end of the fade-outs of the tracks shows they drop in volume from about -90 dB directly to silence, indicating the original files were also 16-bit. If they had been 24-bit originally, the fades would progress from -90 down to about -140 before reaching silence.

Though there wasn't a big deal made about this being 24/96, it does say that in some places online, like the Sony Music Shop, which could be construed as advertisement, the fact is that's misleading and it is actually sourced from from standard CD-quality audio.

Although I don't believe there is an audible difference between 16/44 and 24/96, I still think that's pretty lame. It technically would have been better not to upsample at all, and I'm still baffled as to why clipping ever still occurs at all since all digital audio workstations come with very easy methods of preventing it.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:43 PM

The code for the Dalamud minion works over here for the game too if anyone is actually playing the game.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:42 AM

Should it be possible to get the MP3s via this disc using a PS3? When I go to the home network download option in the Extras menu, I get an error saying the network could not be detected (though the PS3 is most certainly online).
Old Sep 2, 2013, 08:58 PM

Hm, same issue with me connecting to my network.

Additionally, strange, when I play the Blu-ray, I get no sound unless I play at faster than 1x speed. Went back and played the FF Orchestra Album too, same problem. I know I was able to listen to FFOA in the past... wonder if I changed some setting?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 03:47 PM

Whoa, an audio BD I guess. Did anyone do something like this for DVDs?

edit: Wow, English translations right on the album, that's classy. here the japanese titles would still be default though ww

Last edited by Despatche; Sep 4, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
PS3 doesn't have a on-board sequencer like the PS1 and PS2 did. And normally I would say the soundtrack is composed by a sequencer such as Cubase or Pro Logic (as in the case with the majority of Japanese game soundtracks nowadays), but the liner notes credit:
without any mention of a specific song. The fact that Uematsu's songs are arranged here, I'd say the songs incorporate real instruments as much as possible, but I could be wrong.
That's why we don't see any PSF3 music rips I guess? I thought the sound quality was "amazing" to say the least and would have been surprised if the PS3 hardware could do that.

In a way I am a bit disappointed that chip music as we know it has pretty much died, as I expected it to be able to present this type of quality, then again does it really matter? Probably not as modern VGM has gotten to the studio level, just can't think of it as chip tunes anymore
Old Sep 7, 2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
Whoa, an audio BD I guess. Did anyone do something like this for DVDs?

edit: Wow, English translations right on the album, that's classy. here the japanese titles would still be default though ww
All tracks display in English & Japanese as well. I don't recall any DVD albums like this mainly due to the quality and size limit of the DVDV format. They could have done one with DVDA but that format was short lived and taken over by BD.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
For those who are interested in the claim of this album containing 24-bit/96kHz music, here is an example spectogram of track 4, "Freedom", showing the frequency spectrum of the uncompressed 96kHz sampling rate music files on the Blu-ray:
Spoiler:

This indicates that these 96kHz files were upsampled from 44.1kHz. The spikes sticking out above the rest are distortion, the result of clipping. A close examination of the end of the fade-outs of the tracks shows they drop in volume from about -90 dB directly to silence, indicating the original files were also 16-bit. If they had been 24-bit originally, the fades would progress from -90 down to about -140 before reaching silence.

Though there wasn't a big deal made about this being 24/96, it does say that in some places online, like the Sony Music Shop, which could be construed as advertisement, the fact is that's misleading and it is actually sourced from from standard CD-quality audio.

Although I don't believe there is an audible difference between 16/44 and 24/96, I still think that's pretty lame. It technically would have been better not to upsample at all, and I'm still baffled as to why clipping ever still occurs at all since all digital audio workstations come with very easy methods of preventing it.
What source files did you use? Did you rip it yourself or use a rip online? You can't trust online rips as they could be the 441/16 upsampled like the FLAC set that's going around.

I could not rip the disc as it used a newer version of AACS. I do know the files are uncompressed PCM 96/24. Since everyone masters at that it would not make sense to upsample.

Keep in mind if you don't have the hardware for 96/24 you won't hear any difference. I have a 5.1 Pioneer that supports SACD/DVDA etc. and true 96/24 and I can hear a HUGE difference, mainly in bass and high ends but much better.

Last edited by TubeBar; Sep 7, 2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student41269 View Post
Should it be possible to get the MP3s via this disc using a PS3? When I go to the home network download option in the Extras menu, I get an error saying the network could not be detected (though the PS3 is most certainly online).
Yes as long as you have a LAN, obviously you need a PC connected to. You can't download directly to the PS3 as it's an HTML page and .zip files.

The other option is to get a BD drive or download them online, they are easy to find.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcubalis View Post
Hm, same issue with me connecting to my network.

Additionally, strange, when I play the Blu-ray, I get no sound unless I play at faster than 1x speed. Went back and played the FF Orchestra Album too, same problem. I know I was able to listen to FFOA in the past... wonder if I changed some setting?
I had to change my Samsung BD player settings to output in "PCM" as if it's set to DTS or DD it will give no sound or lossy compressed. Be sure to change the output to PCM as the album tracks are all uncompressed PCM.

You can also test the diff audio used for movies, if PCM doesn't play but DD does you know the problem.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:03 PM

Haha, "Siren Song" is a remix of Nanashi no Geemu. Awesome.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:31 AM

at the FATE in Osaka FFXIV event looks like Masayoshi Soken has finished a preliminary copy of the ARR Soundtrack, the serial number is SQEX-20016 and will be another blu-ray release.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 01:02 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Yes, he has been teasing that for a few days already on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/SOKENsquareenix/...065408/photo/1
Old Oct 29, 2015, 05:30 PM

Is anyone able to give me a hand with ripping this album? Never ripped audio from a DVD/Bluray before so I'm a bit puzzled. I'm using DVD Audio Extractor but as far as I can tell there's no way to differentiate between which titles and chapters are the actual tracks. Any pointers would be appreciated.

EDIT: Was able to figure it out, if it helps anyone in the future: DVD Audio Extractor wasn't reading the proper playlist (Not sure if it was the way the playlist is formatted or if there's a limitation to the amount of playlists it can load) so I instead used eac3to to extract WAV files from the m2ts files on the disc and went from there.

Last edited by Hydrohs; Nov 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old May 17, 2016, 06:59 AM

Anyone know which tracks debuted with which patches? The FF Wiki's page for the soundtrack only mentions that "Freedom", "Whisper of the Land" and "Widdershins" came with Patch 1.18.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:16 PM

Thumbs down YouTube

Would anyone be interested by BM and ARR YouTube releases, after their extractions?
Old Jun 29, 2020, 09:19 AM

Aren't tracks 56, 75, 94 just the victory fanfare by Nobuo Uematsu? Strange that they credited composition solely to Masayoshi Soken.

Last edited by yindesu; Jun 29, 2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 04:42 PM

I THINK the logic was they're essentially "sound effects" rather than "songs," the former of which Soken was largely responsible for in Legacy XIV. He still does that, of course, but nothing since Before Meteor has featured tracks like these.

Are you right about them just being jingles Uematsu composed? Absolutely. In fact, it kinda bugs me "Hero of Hatchingtide" is credited to Soken even as an arranger given it's just... the FFIII OSV file with some additional echo.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:06 AM

A REALM REBORN (after Before Meteor) actually has several Uematsu compositions credited to Soken too. The Preludes, track 16, victory fanfare again, Battle Scene 1.X, ...
Old Jul 1, 2020, 02:46 PM

Well, THAT I don't know as to why. It always bothered me with "Battle Scene 1.X" particularly because there's no variation on the original composition.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 01:19 PM

Would anyone be able to tell me which tracks are from which patches?