VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 26, 2011, 11:27 PM

The release date is actually in June according to sellers.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:53 PM

This gets into the definition of what the release date is. We've had some discussions in the past, but I don't remember so much was determined. We have multiple choices; the shipping date, the receipt date, or the date Nintendo starts to accept the trade. I see why the first two are also supported here, even if the last one is the most easily investigable.

That being said, is there the official release date provided by Nintendo? We'll go with that, then (although I know some publishers give a date which, by our definition, is a pre-release date).
Old May 27, 2011, 02:33 AM

I'm slightly confused, this release wasn't originally made available for purchase at Club Nintendo Japan in date May 24th, 2011? I'd personally stick with that as a release a date...

To speak the truth, I don't know how things work with these Club Nintendo releases. What date has been picked as the release one on this album?
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; May 27, 2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:54 AM

Well sellers are expecting them early June. So if the release date is 24th May then its a bit silly to then ship the units 2 or 3 weeks later as that sort of negates the release date.
Old May 30, 2011, 04:29 PM

It doesn't seem like a "complete" soundtrack album to me either. I don't know why Nintendo doesn't subcontract other record companies to distribute their videogame soundtracks across Japan like many other 3rd party publishers are able to do. If they do this kind of practice to SKYWARD SWORD, I won't be happy about it.
Old May 31, 2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuaki Hagishima (Nintendo Dream)
- Why doesn't Nintendo release CDs?

We have never published a single CD.

Instead, record companies have suggested a CD release plan, and we have let them publish it under license. However, game soundtrack CDs didn't sell well, and you'd often hear news about poor sales of general CDs lately. It's just a few thousand, at best. It requires a lot of labor to make a CD, and even if we do, we think we still should utilize our musical assets for such promotion that you can enjoy games more. we'll try to help more people enjoy the sound of Nintendo, through enclosures like this issue of Nintendo Dream and the guide book of Chibi-Robo!, the rewards of Club Nintendo, or the launch of Nintendo Mobile. Game is what matters most to us, and we'll use game music as promotion.
sucks, but there it is.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 09:18 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:12 AM

Does 1-13 suggest something like "Shell" Bird? ("貝"鳥). I think it can be just a variant spelling of "怪鳥" (you can see a similar thing in 1-17, where "追せき", instead of "追跡", is used). Never played a single DK game, but the boss' appearance doesn't look like a shell (but a pot). http://www.mariowiki.com/Stu_(Donkey...ountry_Returns)
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

For track 17, I know the news sites reported the boss's name as マンゴルー (Mangorupy), but I think that's a typo and it's supposed to be マンゴルー (Mangoruby). The boss's name is Mangoruby in the U.S. version, and the Japanese Wikipedia article for the game uses マンゴルビー.

Nintendo's page for the album uses an image for the tracklist, so it's hard to tell.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:36 AM

A rejected edit added some of the past DK composers, but I feel it was right aside of Robin Beanland, since many tracks from this soundtrack are arranged here (reference). Given the popularity of this franchise and its music, however, I guess many have already noticed but not pointed it out...
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:50 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So do you think that (Minako Hamano, Masaru Tajima, Shinji Ushiroda, Daisuke Matsuoka) should be added as Composers/Arrangers on this soundtrack, since the composers we have listed only composed music for the prequel.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:20 AM

Technically speaking, since none of us knows who (of the 'music' staffs) were involved with what roles (composing or arranging), we couldn't add anyone but in the note.

It would be helpful if we had a more 'generic' role to credits composers.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:03 PM

Inner CD Ring states:
"NTDO-17230"

Seems fair enough to label as the catalogue number since its published by Nintendo itself.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:27 AM

Who can I credit the tracks to?
Stuff like this is so annoying.
Cheers
Old May 27, 2013, 02:56 PM

Is this music all from the Wii game? If so, Kenji Yamamoto is credited for music.
Old May 27, 2013, 03:51 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalgenius12 View Post
Is this music all from the Wii game? If so, Kenji Yamamoto is credited for music.
Yamamoto's credit is Music Supervisor right?
Minako Hamano, Masaru Tajima, Shinji Ushiroda, Daisuke Matsuoka are credited for the music, and really should be added add composers. And Fischer & Wise should be added as featured on only.
Old May 27, 2013, 04:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think the idea behind not linking any of the Nintendo staff was that, since the music here is a mix of original compositions and reprises and four people worked on the soundtrack (maybe five with Yamamoto, because Nintendo music supervisors/directors/etc. often write music too), we can't actually know who composed and who arranged. So if we add them all as composers, we might be miscategorizing them. That's why Cedille made the suggestion of a generic "music" credit.
Old May 27, 2013, 07:11 PM

Thats what I meant, because this was the case with Metroid Prime 3, although it did not recieve a soundtrack.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:36 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I think the idea behind not linking any of the Nintendo staff was that, since the music here is a mix of original compositions and reprises and four people worked on the soundtrack (maybe five with Yamamoto, because Nintendo music supervisors/directors/etc. often write music too), we can't actually know who composed and who arranged. So if we add them all as composers, we might be miscategorizing them. That's why Cedille made the suggestion of a generic "music" credit.
But there is other albums where the same thing has happened and we've put up the composers, for example Genso Suikoden V OST.

And currently the entry is miscategorising Wise and Fischer as sole composers of the album, unless someone is actually gonna go down and check the notes. :P
Old May 27, 2013, 10:05 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh it's totally misleading that we're only crediting Wise and Fischer right now, don't get me wrong. I just think it's kind of lousy to credit everyone as composers too.

Basically, I just hate everything.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:32 AM

Got to love Nintendo's ability to label their work.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:39 AM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 01:43 AM

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 02:23 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The issue is that we don't how many of the four actually composed new music, so we shouldn't dump every single person who may have written music into the composer field and hope for the best.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 02:59 AM

I don't have much of a horse in this race, but it strikes me that the current crediting makes no sense. We already know that attributing composition entirely to Wise and Fischer is false. Whereas at least some of the 4 Nintendo composers definitely did compose new music, and it's possible all of them did. So you have one possible credit attribution that's demonstrably wrong (Wise and Fischer only), and another attribution (with the additional Nintendo staff) that may be fully accurate, and is at least partially accurate. Why would you choose the attribution that's definitely inaccurate?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 08:59 AM

Or maybe we just skip all the bullshit entirely and credit no one like the album does, because we really don't know anything for sure.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:25 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm actually with Raizen on this one; I don't think our artist system is capable of handling the ambiguity here, so we just... shouldn't. We can put the pertinent info in the notes for anyone to see, but any linking of artists is going to be a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychonotes View Post
So you have one possible credit attribution that's demonstrably wrong (Wise and Fischer only), and another attribution (with the additional Nintendo staff) that may be fully accurate, and is at least partially accurate. Why would you choose the attribution that's definitely inaccurate?
I wouldn't choose either. As a factual resource, we have a responsibility to present only verifiably accurate information to our users.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 08:41 PM

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 04:27 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 02:52 AM

I'm honestly not sure what makes this soundtrack different from other such releases. It's not the first time there are no composer credits in a soundtrack and no per track credits are known. My impression so far was that the most sane approach to this is crediting the company group (in this case Nintendo) and putting the people credited in the game's staff roll in brackets for that group. I think this way conveys the current knowledge the best (we know Nintendo was responsible for the music in DKCR, and we know that Minako Hamano, Masaru Tajima, Shinji Ushiroda, Daisuke Matsuoka were credited as part of that, the only thing we don't know is whether this soundtrack release does contain contributions from each of these).
Old Apr 11, 2015, 06:20 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think it's better to under-credit rather than over-credit. I read
Quote:
: Composer: John, James
as John and James are composers on this album, not John and James composed all tracks on this album. This is especially true with performers, where we aren't always able to credit every person in an orchestra.

If we over-credit to get it partially right, then we end up with an album showing up on someone's discography when they were not involved at all. I think that is something we want to avoid, and we do so by only crediting artists who are verifiable.