VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 30, 2011, 01:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The Abyssea music, and the added music for the last portions of Wings of the Goddess, are sure to please.

I'm also happy to *finally* have the rest of Matsueda's PlayOnline music. What they put on that best of disc was a ridiculously small portion of Matsueda's work on the project.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:40 PM

Maybe we need to rethink if PlayOnline is seen as a product by VGMdb.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:13 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Is PlayOnline a game ? or Playable..?
I thought it's a gaming service like steam.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:33 PM

It's a game client that provides access to FFXI and Tetra Master. It's the interface through which users log in to and manage their account, download patches, get links to news updates, etc. It also has a messaging system. It's also, of course, how you start up both FFXI and Tetra Master.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:43 AM

Exciting news! Definitely gonna be pre-ordering this.

Random nostalgia: I genuinely hated FFXI's music way back when I first heard it. I think I listened to the soundtrack once and then stashed it on my shelf and went back to FFIX and FFX. So disappointed. Eventually I came back to it and segments began to grow on me. After a while I found I was listening to it on a regular basis.

After a massive computer upgrade I finally started playing FFXI (I think Chains of Promathia had been out for a while and Aht Urhgan was already announced). The moment I created my character I was totally hooked. The game, the world, the music; I loved them all. I played for several years and made some great friends and had a lot of fun times. During the summer I literally lived in my room playing FFXI. The only time I stopped was to go to work and, only when necessary, sleep.

Now FFXI is one of my favorite soundtracks. I know a big portion of it is the memories I associate with the music, but I think the music genuinely grew on me too. I didn't understand it at first, but Mizuta really did capture the world of Vana'diel. If I had the time and energy I would go back in a heartbeat. But alas, growing up means being responsible and so I'll just have to settle for the music and the memories. :3
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:21 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Myrkul -- right. It's like Steam, but with only 2 games as opposed to 1000+. And instead of browsing in silence, Matsueda wrote about 10 different songs for the different menus.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
...Matsueda wrote about 10 different songs for the different menus.
My count is 25.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 07:46 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
My count is 25.
damn. even better.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 02:17 AM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist500 View Post
So let me get this straight. This will be the most complete FFXI soundtrack ever? The original tracks, the expansion packs, add-on's, unreleased tracks along with PlayOnline OST? I'm so ordering this!
Well, since this release is only 2 discs, it's really only "added" stuff, so I would guess you would still need the previous Boxset as well as Wings of the Goddess (unless they include the previously unreleased material from the Boxset here as well) - overall, I'm also a big fan of FFXI's music but I'm still hoping that we might get a "proper" and really complete Boxset with everything in it, perhaps at it's 10th anniversary?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 02:35 PM
VGMdb Advisor

yeah, what FPI said. This is all the stuff you haven't gotten yet. So basically, you'd need the Box, the WotG soundtrack, and this new release to have all the original content.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 03:23 AM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:40 AM

The Square Enix North America store is now taking pre-orders for this CD:
http://store.na.square-enix.com/stor...ctID.235462500

$29.99 plus shipping and the first edition comes with a code for an exclusive Mog House furnishing.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 08:54 AM

Based on the samples, Uematsu's Final Fantasy theme is featured.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:32 AM

I wonder if the obi or another part will get that -PLUS- because the cover only has PLUS
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Well, we'll get the answer when it releases!

Strangely enough, they have used romaji names for the PlayOnline tracks, even when they were in English in the US client. I'll put them here just for reference. Not so sure how to integrate them to the album page.
Quote:
Space
Jazz 1
Silver Pocket Watch
Dance of the Fairies
Peace of Mind
Jungle
Change of Rhythm
Dance
Warm-heartedness
Jazz 2
Dolphin
Grand Voyage
Fluffiness
Funky Monkey
Solid Wax
Filter Branch
Baby Herbie
Technorider
P'z
Foster Family
Hairy Worm
Beyond the Hill
Pacific Payload
Reminiscence
Last 3 tracks from disc 2 are by Kumi Tanioka. I don't know where they come from.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:28 PM

Could they be additional PlayOnline tracks? In addition to the opening song and the background tracks that users could select, there were a handful of PlayOnline areas that had designated music. I can't find the songs in question on Youtube, but I know one of them played on the screen for registering Content IDs.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:02 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
Could they be additional PlayOnline tracks? In addition to the opening song and the background tracks that users could select, there were a handful of PlayOnline areas that had designated music. I can't find the songs in question on Youtube, but I know one of them played on the screen for registering Content IDs.
They have added all samples on the website and the last 3 tracks by Tanioka are actually BGM from the FFXI section of the PlayOnline viewer such as the Tribune and FAQ (as far as I remember). I always thought they were by Mizuta.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:13 PM
VGMdb Staff

Regarding the second tracklist, doesn't the album feature only the fully romanized tracklist?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:41 AM

Yeah, I know but I found that traklist somewere on internet.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
They have added all samples on the website and the last 3 tracks by Tanioka are actually BGM from the FFXI section of the PlayOnline viewer such as the Tribune and FAQ (as far as I remember). I always thought they were by Mizuta.
Nice! Those are the tracks I was talking about. So glad they made it onto the CD as well.

I guess at this point the only music that hasn't seen a CD release are the Tetra Master tracks. Although I'd like to have those too, I can understand why they weren't included.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:01 PM
VGMdb Advisor

User NAiJU was kind enough to scan the booklets and the obi. I just put the rest of the packaging scans in. This thing comes in my favorite case format, the "double-wide" where both sides have a tray, but there's no center thingy. If you owned the Grandia OSTs, or any number of old King Records double disc releases, you know the type. The spine on the "Back" scan should give you an idea.

One other note about the packaging: the insert card had a unique code to give out an in-game FFXI item. I blurred that code in my scan. This is different from a S-E member card, and the other side of the insert has ads for all the other FFXI CDs.

Enjoy.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
I guess at this point the only music that hasn't seen a CD release are the Tetra Master tracks. Although I'd like to have those too, I can understand why they weren't included.
I never logged in for Tetra Master on POL. Was it any different from the music one heard in playing Tetra Master in FFIX?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:29 PM

Yes, it featured new music. There were a couple of arrangements of "Melodies of Life", but mostly it was original compositions. I think there were about 8-10 tracks total. I actually enjoyed them quite a bit.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:02 AM

Is one of these tracks the same as "POL Window" from Memories of Dusk and Dawn under a different name?