VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 28, 2020, 12:05 PM
Mentalo's Avatar
Mentalo Mentalo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: France
Posts: 38

I have not received the limited edition yet so where does that composer/arranger breakdown come from ??

ACE+ and Yoko Shimomura are listed as composers and arrangers for track 9 "A Tragic Decision" but it was originally composed by ACE+ only.
Also, Tsutomu Narita as an arranger for this track ?? He isn't even cited in the credits featured at the end of Future Connected (but they may not be the credits of the full remaster).

And why isn't there composition/arrangement credits for the new Future Connected tracks (11 and 12) ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 28, 2020, 12:50 PM
rpbtz's Avatar
rpbtz rpbtz is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denmark
Posts: 117
Default

There are no credits on the release itself, so credits were taken from the original CD soundtrack release submission on here.

I am in no way super familiar with the artists involved for this, so please make changes and adjustments if something is incorrect.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 28, 2020, 01:14 PM
Mentalo's Avatar
Mentalo Mentalo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: France
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbtz View Post
There are no credits on the release itself, so credits were taken from the original CD soundtrack release submission on here.

I am in no way super familiar with the artists involved for this, so please make changes and adjustments if something is incorrect.
The main game's tracks featured in this release (1-10) are all brand new arrangements so in that case we should not credit any arrangers.
And there are indeed some mistakes even if we consider the original game's credits (Shimomura and Narita weren't involved with composition and/or arrangement for track 9 in the original game).

The only thing we can say for now would be the following :

Quote:
Tracks 1, 2 composed by Yoko Shimomura

Tracks 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 composed by ACE+

Tracks 5, 10 composed by Manami Kiyota
EDIT : I edited album info with what I said

Last edited by Mentalo; May 28, 2020 at 01:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 28, 2020, 03:13 PM
Jormungand's Avatar
Jormungand Jormungand is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalo View Post
The main game's tracks featured in this release (1-10) are all brand new arrangements so in that case we should not credit any arrangers.
And there are indeed some mistakes even if we consider the original game's credits (Shimomura and Narita weren't involved with composition and/or arrangement for track 9 in the original game).

The only thing we can say for now would be the following :



EDIT : I edited album info with what I said
Agreed that no arrangers should be credited yet.

However, we do know from an interview with Tetsuya Takahashi that no cut-scene BGM has been re-done, with the sole exception of Engage the Enemy:
Quote:
Next, how only some of the music tracks in the game are new recordings is pointed out, and Takahashi is asked how they chose said tracks. He says that as a remaster, there were limitations on how much they could do, and this also applied to the music, meaning they could not have an orchestra perform new recordings for every track in the game.

Thus, they ranked the tracks by priority, and did new orchestral recordings for high-priority field and battle tracks, while using other methods such as remixing or using new digital files to improve others. Takahashi also says that the compression rate for music tracks is lower than that of Xenoblade 2’s, resulting in improved sound quality.

As tracks for cutscenes were made to match said cutscenes, modifying them would result them in having to edit the cutscenes as well, and so they used the original versions. However, Engage the Enemy alone is a new recording due to its popularity and how no editing would be required.
source



I'm interested to know who got to compose the new field music for Bionis' Shoulder and whatever else the new scenario required. It's clear from the disc titles that someone arranged Shimomura's main battle theme into a new one for the new field (for all we know it could have been Shimomura herself).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 28, 2020, 06:04 PM
Mentalo's Avatar
Mentalo Mentalo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: France
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Agreed that no arrangers should be credited yet.

However, we do know from an interview with Tetsuya Takahashi that no cut-scene BGM has been re-done, with the sole exception of Engage the Enemy:

source
Another exception is "A Tragic Decision" (but it can also be considered as a battle song so this may be why Takahashi did not talk about it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I'm interested to know who got to compose the new field music for Bionis' Shoulder and whatever else the new scenario required. It's clear from the disc titles that someone arranged Shimomura's main battle theme into a new one for the new field (for all we know it could have been Shimomura herself).
I could bet my money on ACE for the Bionis' Shoulder theme. It has a lot of similarities with the Kingdom of Torna and Leftheria field themes.
And the Nintendo of Europe twitter account confirmed "Time to Fight! (Bionis' Shoulder)" refers to the main battle theme for the new epilogue which is absolutely NOT an arrangement of Shimomura's "Time to Fight!". I think they just re-used the name, as they did with "Battle!! (Torna)" and "Battle!!" from Xenoblade 2. Oh and Hiramatsu is most likely responsible of this track since he tweeted about it, which is quite surprising ! I first thought it was an ACE track. He never ceases to impress me with his battle themes !
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 29, 2020, 02:47 AM
rpbtz's Avatar
rpbtz rpbtz is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denmark
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalo View Post
The main game's tracks featured in this release (1-10) are all brand new arrangements so in that case we should not credit any arrangers.
That makes good sense. I didn't know that these are all new arrangements.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 29, 2020, 04:45 AM
Mentalo's Avatar
Mentalo Mentalo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: France
Posts: 38
Default

I still haven't received my limited edition but a friend has sent me a screen of the downloadable version of the European sound selection. And it turns out that it has more tracks than the vinyl ! Actually, that's the same tracklist than the Australian CD (and maybe the Japanese ? I haven't found its tracklist yet).
And it also seems to have composers credits under the "artist" tag !



Sadly, the ACE+ main game songs credits still aren't separeted between ACE and Kenji Hiramatsu.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jun 29, 2020, 05:40 AM
MBgov1133's Avatar
MBgov1133 MBgov1133 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalo View Post
I still haven't received my limited edition but a friend has sent me a screen of the downloadable version of the European sound selection. And it turns out that it has more tracks than the vinyl ! Actually, that's the same tracklist than the Australian CD (and maybe the Japanese ? I haven't found its tracklist yet).
And it also seems to have composers credits under the "artist" tag !
Yeah, they all have the same tracklist excluding the Vinyl itself. Each regional variant should be listed as a child album of the Japanese CD (this page). Thanks for the image, by the way, I was looking for something like that.

Quote:
Sadly, the ACE+ main game songs credits still aren't separeted between ACE and Kenji Hiramatsu.
Huh that's... interesting. My credits are more or less the same, but Kenji Hiramatsu is credited separately for some tracks such as Engage the Enemy and Central Factory (which we know he worked on because of the Xenoblade 2 OST webpage). It was taken from the Gracenote database though, I think, and I'm not sure how reliable it is since users can submit their own tracklists and metadata. It's a bit inconsistent though, since it credits ACE+ for the older XC1 tracks while crediting Hiramatsu separately for his tracks, and then strictly ACE for their Future Connected tracks.

That said, it was the only tracklist there so I can't say for sure whether it's trustworthy. I've had new CDs come with no tracklists detected on Gracenote before so I've had to manually enter all the metadata on my own, but I find it interesting that the Australian CD drew metadata which was in Japanese (although this isn't anything that hasn't happened before).

Really hoping we get a full OST release at some stage. I'd imagine every composer remastered their own tracks since all 6 of them returned for Definitive Edition, but there's no way to know for sure.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition Premium Music Selection v1le Album Discussions 2 Dec 12, 2018 02:09 AM
HAC-ADENA-JPN: Xenoblade 2 SOUND SELECTION Jimby Album Discussions 25 Feb 23, 2018 04:41 AM
HAC-ADENB-EUR: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Sound Selection (reprint) Mac_Tear Album Discussions 1 Dec 11, 2017 08:43 AM
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 SOUND SELECTION (reprint) Rew Album Discussions 0 Nov 25, 2017 01:04 PM
Xenoblade Chronicles X Soundtrack Selection Rew Album Discussions 2 Feb 11, 2016 01:11 PM