VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:03 PM

Sasai's name is written 「笹井隆司」 in the booklet, not 「笹井りゅうじ」. The artist section should reflect this.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:45 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
Sasai's name is written 「笹井隆司」 in the booklet, not 「笹井りゅうじ」. The artist section should reflect this.
A shortcoming of the current artist system is that the Japanese name that's displayed in the artist section on album pages is always that artist's default Japanese name. So, when the printed Japanese name differs from the default one, the printed name can be added to the artist's page as variation, but the default name will still be shown on the album page no matter what. It'd be nice if we could capture Japanese variations in artists links too, though that would add some complexity to the system.

The name variations can always be given in the notes section. It's possible to add them as suffixes too, so the name would show up as "Ryuji Sasai (笹井隆司)" in English and "笹井りゅうじ (笹井隆司)" in Japanese in the artist field.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:10 PM

Is the notes section right? Compared to the track list, 28 is only Y.K and no R.S. It also mentions YK did the first two tracks but the Cover says RS did.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:03 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The new translations generally look better after a cursory glance, but I question this one:

光のほこら

New translation is "Life Temple", but I don't generally see Hikari translated as "Life". I'd go with "Temple of Light", or "Temple in the Light". Thoughts?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:22 AM
Trusted Editor

Well, the US version of game does have place called Life Temple.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:29 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh, ok. It's a place, so these are localized location names.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:20 PM

Mostly they are.

6 Beautiful Forest was Changed to Level Forest because that is the English dungeon name, and I am not sure where beautiful came from.

9 City of Forest (Foresta) I removed the S since it sits in a single forest.

10 Fossil Labyrinth to Bone Dungeon is a localization However same basic name really

13 Shrine of Light to Life Temple. However the song does play in 3 places I know of, Life Temple, Kaidge Temple and Light Temple. So Light Temple should be put back.

14 Rock Theme to Tristam's Theme, it is probably More likely translated as Lock, He is a treasure hunter http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Tristam so it can be edited it is a localization.

16 Dungeon of Ice to Wintry Cave a localization I presume, is about the same though.

17 Dungeon and waterfall to falls basin is a localization and sounds better

18 City of fire (Faeria) to Fireburg I assume a localization, don't know if it had another name

19 Rock'n Roll to Rock 'n' Roll for a correction in spelling

21 City of Wind Windaria to Windia, I assume a localization didn't see another name

22 Mountain Range of Whirlwinds to the english name in the game of Mount Gale, is also pretty much a translation

23 The Crystal Appearance to Appears, just sounds better

24 Last castle to Doom castle, english localization

I am not sure if battle should be battlefield since they are special places in the game and fanfare of friendship may be changed to Friendship Fanfare to be in concert with Victory fanfare, maybe friendship should be changed to companion or something?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:06 PM

Can someone re-look over the credits list? The booklet and list below don't match. Or am I reading something wrong?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:32 PM

I looked over it and everything matched up. What did you notice that's out of place?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:20 PM

I see this:

Composer:
Ryuji Sasai (3, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 15, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28)
Yasuhiro Kawakami (1, 2, 6, 8, 9, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 21, 26, 28)

And then i see this:

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=41637

Which shows (for example) RS (Ryuji Sasai) as credited on tracks 1-5 where as the text I posted above shows Ryuji on 3,4,5 and Yasuhiro on 1 & 2.

I did also notice that the underlying text does list Ryuji as arranger for 1 & 2.

So is there an explanation for this somewhere within the booklet that I missed?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:41 PM

Hmm, now I noticed that Fearin brought this up on the 15th of February (happy birthday to me :P). That is a little strange and I always wonder where information like this comes from. I think it's why Secret Squirrel has urged people to post when they add information or change things. Sorry, I can't answer the questions about the compositions versus the arrangements.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Hmm, now I noticed that Fearin brought this up on the 15th of February (happy birthday to me :P).
Hehe, just saw that too...

Arrangements weren't really a concern per se, i was just thinking if maybe that was why the booklet credited Ryuji for tracks 1 & 2 (thinking maybe they credited the track to the person who last touched it). Well, whatever, thanks for humoring me =p.

Last edited by VncentValntine; Sep 12, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:25 PM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, could someone clarify the composer credits for tracks 1, 2 and 28? These are medley tracks, right? I'd guess the credits given in the booklet for these refer to the arrangement, but it could include composition as well if the tracks only include their own work.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:04 PM

The first two definetly include some Sasai music (battle themes)....someone else with more patience than me would have to note all that's arranged but for now it seems both should get composer credits for all three, probably.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:48 AM

I don't think there's anything in tracks 1 and 2 composed by Kawakami. Track 1 is an arrangement of what we're calling "Doom Castle" and track 2 is an arrangement of "Battle 1", both written by Sasai of course. Track 28 is made up of "Level Forest", "Falls Basin", "Light Temple" (I want to say the section from 4:42 to 5:32 is from something but I can't place it. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself if someone can come up with it, but it may be original. Definitely very similar to Kawakami's other stuff), and "Mystic Ballad", all of which were written by Kawakami. So I'd say we should make the notes reflect the booklet as it appears to be accurate.

Anybody wanna check my work before I make the edit?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
I don't think there's anything in tracks 1 and 2 composed by Kawakami. Track 1 is an arrangement of what we're calling "Doom Castle" and track 2 is an arrangement of "Battle 1", both written by Sasai of course.
Though it doesn't change the outcome, for the sake of precision, MYSTIC RE-QUEST I consists of Last Castle and then Lava Dome and then Last Castle again.

MYSTIC RE-QUEST II has a bit of theme switching. It consists of the full intro of Battle 3 leading to Battle 1, then Battle 2, then Battle 3, then Battle 1.

Quote:
Track 28...

...4:42 to 5:32
4:42 to 4:50 sounds like "Arcade" (walking around town in 3D theme) from Shin Megami Tensei I (Super Famicom).

4:52 to 5:05 is a few mid-way notes from the town theme (all towns have the same basic melody). I'm sure it's been noticed before (maybe I did too but forgot) but where's the Water/Ice town theme?

5:05 to 5:31 I don't recognise. But call me crazy because the wind sound effect sounds similar to the wind from the "endless desert" theme from Secret of Evermore. It's probably just recentism though.

5:31 to 5:52 sounds like a vocal arrange of "Underground" (cave stage) from Super Mario Bros. 1 (Famicom).

5:59 sounds like the elephants from Dhalsim's stage (Street Fighter II). Or you can call me crazy.

While I'm on the subject of sound effects, the bells at the beginning and end of the track sounds like the bells from Chrono Trigger (beginning of the game). Or I'm crazy.

Last edited by layzee; Mar 25, 2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 07:06 PM

Here's the basic usage of each track in the game. Note the dungeon themes are used in more than one dungeon, but generally their given names in the game (which are employed in the track list) are very good descriptions of the areas they play in.

Spoiler:
01) Mystic Re-Quest I
Not In Game / Arrange Medley / Unique To Soundtrack

02) Mystic Re-Quest II

03) Mystic Quest
Event (Title Screen), Event (Ending) [Main Theme]

04) Hill Of Destiny
Event (Danger Theme) [Overrides Battle & Fanfare Themes]

"Hill Of Destiny" only plays once at beginning of game.

05) World
Location (World Map)

06) Level Forest
Location (Dungeon: Forest)

07) Battle 1
Event (Battle: Random Encounter)

08) Victory Fanfare
Event (Battle: Victory Fanfare [After Battle 1 & Battle 2])

"Victory Fanfare" does not play after "Battle 3" at the end of the game.

09) City of Forest (Foresta)
Location (Town: Forest)

10) Bone Dungeon
Location (Dungeon: Bone/Earth)

11) Battle 2
Event (Battle: Normal Boss Encounter)

12) Focus Tower
Location (Dungeon: Tower)

13) Light Temple
Location (Temple)

The "temples" in the game aren't really temples per say, they're just small (non-dungeon) areas where you usually end up meeting party members.

14) Tristam's Theme
Event (Character Theme)

15) Fanfare of Friendship
Event (Character Joins Party)

16) Wintry Cave
Location (Dungeon: Cave/Cold)

17) Falls Basin
Location (Dungeon: Cliff/Waterfall)

18) City of Fire (Fireburg)
Location (Town: Hot)

19) Rock 'n' Roll
Event (Listening To Live Band At Fireburg Hotel)

20) Lava Dome
Location (Dungeon: Volcano/Hot)

21) City of Wind (Windia)
Location (Town: Wind)

Note that Aquarius (the water city that is initally frozen over) uses the Windia theme for it's BGM minus the wind SE. "City Of Wind (Windia)" on this album unfortunately has the wind sound effects in it, so the only way to get a clean version of this track is the gamerip.

22) Mount Gale
Location (Dungeon: Mountain/Wind)

23) The Crystal Appears
Event (Crystal Appears)

24) Doom Castle
Location (Dungeon: Castle/Last Dungeon)

In a certain sense it somewhat hard to qualify Doom Castle as a "castle" as it's technically the bottom part of Focus "Tower" but the music is so iconic you can't really argue about it.

25) Battle 3
Event (Battle: Final Boss)

26) Mystic Ballad
Event (Battle: Game Over)

I COMPLETELY forgot how this track was used, only one I couldn't recall before checking.

27) Ending
Event (Credits)

28) Re-Mixtic Quest
Old May 21, 2019, 11:18 AM

Some additional observations.

13 光のほこら 3:14
English Translation: Shrine of Light.
Hokora can refer to smaller scale shrines, whether it's a small building or a small stone platform/altar as shown in the following images. With that in mind, the in-game cave-like environments can be considered shrines. The first shrine you go to is the 砂漠の祠 (Desert Shrine).

12 中央の塔 1:25
English Translation: Central Tower.
In-game, that is literally the case: the tower is in the middle of the world map. However, it is named Focus Tower.

17 洞窟と滝 2:22
English Translation: Cave and Waterfall.
Also taken literally in the game: The dungeon environment is one of waterfalls and caves. However, the actual dungeon name 凍った滝壺 (Frozen Waterfall) makes it clearer (as well as the actual frozen waterfall on the world map).

22 疾風の山脈 2:16
Simply called 風の山脈 in the game.

SaGa 3, FFUSAMQ, Rudra no Hihou... Ryuji Sasai needs to do another RPG soundtrack. Motoi Sakuraba pretty much mastered normal battle themes by now but I'll have to say that FFMQ's battle theme is still my fav of all time.

Last edited by layzee; May 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old May 21, 2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
SaGa 3, FFUSAMQ, Rudra no Hihou... Ryuji Sasai needs to do another RPG soundtrack. Motoi Sakuraba pretty much mastered normal battle themes by now but I'll have to say that FFMQ's battle theme is still my fav of all time.
Agreed. He's one of my favorite composers and sadly obscured to a just a handful of forgotten games. Between this game and Rudra, he made the best battle themes ever to grace the SNES imo.
Old May 21, 2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
Some additional observations.
13 光のほこら 3:14
English Translation: Shrine of Light.
Funny, that's what I put down when naming my files for Super Famicom Magazine October though I haven't played Mystic Quest.

Also disappointed to hear Ryuji Sasai hasn't done much music.
Old May 21, 2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Yeah, it's kind of a downer. I mean I came on board with FFMQ, which is great, but I have Rudra (which I think I'd appreciate more if I could hear the pieces in context; need to watch a play through at some point) and I've heard Bushido Blade 2 before.

Actually, now that I think about it, didn't he do some tracks on the GameBoy SaGa games as well? I don't have that music myself, I bought the BluRay release for a friend last year however.

And yeah, Sasai knows his way around a battle theme. All the battle themes in FFMQ are great and The Spirit Chaser from Rudra is amazing.
Old May 22, 2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
He has actually been pretty active composing games again since 2015 according to his Japanese wikipedia page, though it's mostly mobile and digital only games.
Old May 25, 2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
He has actually been pretty active composing games again since 2015 according to his Japanese wikipedia page, though it's mostly mobile and digital only games.
Thanks for pointing this out. I went looking for samples of all the most recent Mobile RPGs (4 of which are Kemco titles):

ドラゴンシンカー 竜沈めの末裔

Magia Connect
Fairy Elements (hear that awesome dungeon BGM?)

Dragon Lapis
アルバスティア戦記

カドバトうぉーず!

There's a few other miscellaneous the wikipedia page that I didn't get to, but that's everything from the timeline section. I think we'd all be eternally grateful to whomever could hunt down some BGM rips...

Last edited by Jormungand; May 25, 2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old May 26, 2019, 05:45 AM

For the first game "Dragon Sinker" there exists a game rip as well as a video on Niconico. But we should move this discussion to Ryuji Sasai's page.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
6 Beautiful Forest was Changed to Level Forest because that is the English dungeon name, and I am not sure where beautiful came from.
So what's the real reading of 麓の森 here? Because "Level Forest" is obviously wrong on Square USA's end, like they didn't even try (or had no editors).

If you look at this place on the world map, it is indeed a forest situated just at the foot of a mountain range... literally the foothills!

Is there any reason this title can't be read as "Forested Foothills" or "Forest in the Foothills" or something like that?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:49 PM

Yeah something like that or maybe "Foothill Forest" would be more accurate.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I don't think there's anything in tracks 1 and 2 composed by Kawakami. Track 1 is an arrangement of what we're calling "Doom Castle" and track 2 is an arrangement of "Battle 1", both written by Sasai of course. Track 28 is made up of "Level Forest", "Falls Basin", "Light Temple" (I want to say the section from 4:42 to 5:32 is from something but I can't place it. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself if someone can come up with it, but it may be original. Definitely very similar to Kawakami's other stuff), and "Mystic Ballad", all of which were written by Kawakami. So I'd say we should make the notes reflect the booklet as it appears to be accurate.

Anybody wanna check my work before I make the edit?
Track 1 is an arrangement of the Doom Castle and Lava Dome combination

Tracks 2 is arrangemens of the Battle 1, Battle 2 and Battle 3 tracks combination
Old Dec 5, 2023, 04:23 PM

Speaking of this album, man, I need to reacquire this one. I get the game gets a lot of guff (I don't think the game is bad even though why it was created could be seen as insulting) but the soundtrack is a heck of a slapper.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
Speaking of this album, man, I need to reacquire this one. I get the game gets a lot of guff (I don't think the game is bad even though why it was created could be seen as insulting) but the soundtrack is a heck of a slapper.
I personally think a remake using the Trials of Mana engine would actually be a really good game right out of the gate. All five characters become permanent, party system, each has their own combat style.

And naturally we'd want to bring back Sasai and Kawakami (if he still exists) to do their own arrangements with 100% live recordings.