VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:45 PM
VGMdb Administrator

We've currently got four different ways of rendering the series title of 探偵 神宮寺三郎 in the display titles of different albums: "Detective Saburo Jinguji," "Tantei Jinguji Saburo," "Tantei Jinguuji Saburou," and "Tantei Saburo Jinguuji." Let's pick one and stick with it!

First off, the official rendering of the name is "Saburo Jinguji," which can be seen on a few of the albums here and a few of the games' websites (like this one for Innocent Black), so I don't think we should be going with "Saburou" or "Jinguuji" for display titles. It might be a good idea to include the full vowel version as an alternate for searches, though.

I don't believe "Detective Saburo Jinguji" or "Detective Jinguji Saburo" has ever been officially used, so I think we should probably go with "Tantei." And as for name order, I don't really have a strong opinion either way, but I'm kind of leaning toward leaving it in the Japanese order of "Jinguji Saburo" if we're just romanizing the game title.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:51 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am pretty sure no game from the series was released outside of Japan.
So again, i am personally for Romanization: "Tantei Saburo Jinguji" as a main title.
let's keep both detective... and the full vowel versions as alternate.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:32 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I agree with standardizing these albums using our current Romanization philosophy.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:34 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
I am pretty sure no game from the series was released outside of Japan.
So again, i am personally for Romanization: "Tantei Saburo Jinguji" as a main title.
let's keep both detective... and the full vowel versions as alternate.
Someone hasn't been paying attention. Saburo Jinguji = Jake Hunter.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/jakehunter/index.html

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/jakehu...otp/index.html

Aksys Games localized two titles in the series. Once as Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles, and another time as Jake Hunter: Detective Stories.

I don't see the problem with changing "Tantei" to "Detective," but I know you guys are romaji whores around here, so go ahead with Tantei Saburo Jinguji if you want. It's no skin off my nose. Just wanted to call you out on the "this series hasn't made it to the US" statement. I think Myrkul's suggestion of listing both ways (Detective Saburo Jinguji and Tantei Saburo Jinguji) might be best. But then, yeah, standardize it across all album releases. I think there are 5 albums released for this series to date.

Last edited by Ramza; Mar 31, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:50 AM
VGMdb Staff

I'd standardize is as either 'Tantei Saburo Jinguji' or 'Tantei Jinguji Saburo', whichever seems most prevalent. I don't see a need to add a translation of the title though, since we don't usually use fan translations.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:02 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Saburo Jinguji is by far the most prevalent.

And since Aksys rendered "Tantei" as "Detective," that's *sort of* official. But I mean, they did name the guy Jake Hunter. :P
Old Feb 6, 2011, 02:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I've standarized the title to "Tantei Jinguji Saburo", romaji whore or not , since it's written in this album's spine.
It's also in the booklet 3 of this album so it seemed more official (though the obi/spine also writes "DETECTIVE STORY SABURO JINGUJI"...).

Other albums don't seem to romanize it.
I'm not sure which albums correspond to Jake Hunter though.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I don't believe "Detective Saburo Jinguji" or "Detective Jinguji Saburo" has ever been officially used, so I think we should probably go with "Tantei."
Not sure if it really matters now, but "Detective Saburo Jinguji," was officially used in the description of the prequel game, "The Awakening of Golden Jazz."

The latest addition of the Detective Saburo Jinguji,
a hard-boiled adventure series that boasts a 30 year history.
The adventure will intrigue newcomers, and delight long time fans.
Jinguji's adolescence is explored in this never before told origin story!