VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 13, 2008, 05:34 AM
VGMdb Advisor

So, considering the thousands of Touhou Arranges by other doujin groups, does ZUN get the same "Nobuo treatment" where everyone thinks he's a god already? It's nice to finally have a pic of him on vgmdb, as I've never seen him until now.

I'm wondering how much appreciation he gets from either the doujin scene or the official game making scene.

Has he gotten job offers from any big companies? Or would he probably turn them down even if official offers were made?

Last edited by Carl; Oct 13, 2008 at 05:39 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:15 AM
VGMdb Administrator

By 'job offer' you mean as music composer? He's currently with Taito as a programmer.

Some interesting tidbits: http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Intervi...ayer1_Magazine
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:22 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Oh really? Anyone know how long he's been at Taito?

If he's been doing the Shanghai Alice stuff as a side project on his own time, they are really UNDER UTILIZING his talents by not making him a full Producer rather than just programmer.
(Not to mention under utilizing the huge fan base of Touhou by not scooping it up to publish in the majors).

Thanks for the interview link, I'll have to read up some more

Last edited by Carl; Oct 13, 2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:25 AM

I was wondering why there hasn't been a picture of him on here yet, so I decided to upload one on here along with editing out the biography to explain a little more about him. As for the 'job offer' you were wondering about, he's currently employed by Taito as Gigablah stated. There's some interesting stuff on TouhouWikia you can read about on ZUN.

There could be people who might consider ZUN to be of that status especially with such a huge following in Japan why not? I'm not too familiar with the original Touhou songs but from over the months I've listened to arrangements of it I can see why his music is so great and such an inspiration for new arrangements every year. Although there has been a bit too much over time I don't really mind.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Oh really? Anyone know how long he's been at Taito?
If he's doing the Shanghai Alice stuff as a side project on his own time, they are really UNDER UTILIZING his talents.

Thanks for the interview link, I'll have to read up some more
Programming is just like 1/4 of what he's capable of doing. They should really have more involved than just that. Does all the music, programming, scriptwriting, art, and etc all by himself. Very talented.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:33 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal_tsukasa View Post
Programming is just like 1/4 of what he's capable of doing. They should really have more involved than just that. Does all the music, programming, scriptwriting, art, and etc all by himself. Very talented.
Yes, if Taito were smart they'd upgrade him to a Producer status or even higher.
He is developing his talents on his own rather than developing them through work, what irony.

Last edited by Carl; Oct 13, 2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Yes, if Taito were smart they'd upgrade him to a Producer status or even higher.
He is developing his talents on his own rather than developing them through work, what irony.
He could probably make a hit game for them as well if they were to let him be in charge at a better position where he can oversee the entire project or at least be more involved in it rather than programming the game and that's it. Who knows what he could come up with for Taito. Should be obvious to them especially with such a long list of works over the years hes done for so long, you'd think they already do that by the time they employed him?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:48 AM

he also drinks a lot of beer
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:59 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Unless the politics of the work environment doesn't allow the freedom to let them have control and make enough creative decisions. Obviously ZUN knows how to manage a series, and should be given more freedom & control to create at his job!!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:41 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Why is his real name not being used on the actual profile page? As far I was aware, when we know the artist's real name, we use that as the display name on the artist page no matter how they're best known.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:44 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, Zun is his display name, since that's what we want to have displayed on the album pages. Maybe the Roman Name should be displayed on the page when it differs from the display name.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 01:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor

We should be mindful of the politics of keeping doujin life and professional life seperate though, as was illustrated recently with another artist. Notice in his Touhou wiki interview he has to refrain from mentioning Taito specifically, and simply states that he works at a well known company. I'm sure it's a strain for him as well, and he probably has to walk a fine line all the time to avoid conflicts with his employer. Maybe that's why he's a bit reclusive, if it causes tensions.

Keeping his entry here entirely doujin based is easy though, as all his music is from the Touhou series anyways with no pro-composing works, so there isn't a need to make a dual entry with his full name, which is unrelated.

Back on topic, this interview shows insight of his mindset and his views of game creating
http://www.gensokyo.org/archives/92#more-92

Last edited by Carl; Oct 13, 2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 05:17 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liontamer View Post
Why is his real name not being used on the actual profile page? As far I was aware, when we know the artist's real name, we use that as the display name on the artist page no matter how they're best known.
If the artist never uses his real name in any of his works in the discography, then his most used alias should be the display name and his real name should be placed in the bio description.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 03:52 AM

Cradle -Touhou Gengaku Shiten- should be on discography.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:57 PM

From this day forward, I will now say "Oh my Zun!" when I would say "Oh my god!"
Old May 19, 2020, 02:22 PM

These should be under "Featured On" instead of the main discography list:
https://vgmdb.net/album/75543
https://vgmdb.net/album/98406

If normal members can do this, let me know.