VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 8, 2011, 05:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor

While the current title which is a direct translation of the japanese original title is definitely subject to change, I'm not sure for which title I should. Most of the Ghibli album have their localized titles (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away) with the exception of Porco Rosso. It seems now that we have to choose between "Ponyo Soundtrack" or "Gake no Ue no Ponyo Soundtrack".
Considering the newest developments, I think it would be best if we stick with the second option since the soundtrack doesn't give any other titles but 崖の上のポニョ サウンドトラック.

Last edited by AcidBeast; Jan 8, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 05:28 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I think it all depends of what we follow regarding the "title" guideline..
But nothing have been really set yet.

I am for the romanization of asians release even if localized (if no english title is visible on covers), and that explain why "Porco Rosso" is romanized.

Feel free to change it, if that's the good thing to do.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 04:31 PM
Trusted Editor

Updated performer to link to Fujioka Fujimaki. It's a group, not a person so Fujimaki Fujioka was backwards.

Gake no ue no Ponyo doesn't lend itself well to immediate recognition but I'll leave that up to others to decide. I added the cd single and labeled it as Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, since that is the literal translation and it doesn't take away anything from the English title of just "Ponyo". The direct opposite would apply if you were to literally translate "千と千尋の神隠し", since "Sen and Chihiro's Mysterious Disappearance" wouldn't immediately be recognized as "Spirited Away".

I vote for literal translation of the title unless it takes away from the English and makes it unrecognizable.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 04:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

We've had a lot of discussion about how to title albums:

http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3985

Our policy here is to never literally translate a product (game, anime, etc.) title, because it's essentially a proper name. You can translate other parts of an album title, but not the game/anime name.

The single CD might be a grayer area, especially if it's a song about Ponyo sitting on a cliff by the sea.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post

I am for the romanization of asians release even if localized (if no english title is visible on covers), and that explain why "Porco Rosso" is romanized.

I find that a bit strange, because, when I put the title of the iria ost available on the cover, myrkul-sama re-edited it with a fantasy title (I never understood why, if that could be explained to me -am I the only one bothered by that?)

my opinion is clear about it: using the title of the cover (and romanizing it if it's in jap whatever localizations)

so I wonder, shouldn't the album title to display be the one on the cover or the one who is the most used (booklet, cover, etc. -I could give an example if asked) ?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:29 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

What's the matter with the IRIA album?
(not the place to discuss this, either answer on the album thread, or PM me)

I am not going to read our actual discussions on the title guideline (that have NOT been finished and validated)..
But i think we'r supposed to romanize the titles printed on the cover (generally the front one), but yet it's a real mess since it can be different on several places (front, obi, back..)
Old Mar 6, 2011, 09:40 PM

how many incomplete guidelines are there? (as I said in a previous post, me not like reading too much)

because, honestly, sometimes I wonder if I submit stuff as it's supposed to (I was wondered about that limited edition thing a while ago)

(note: pm answered)
Old May 21, 2013, 03:19 AM

I've changed the english title to one that's inclusive of the alternate english titles (Ponyo, Ponyo on the Cliff, Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea). It'll also make it easier to search.