VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jun 25, 2017, 01:37 PM
VGMdb Staff

is really Satoko Yamato the scat singer? it's not reported on the album, maybe that wrong info comes from s..t discogs.
Listening it on youtube it seems Kazuko Kawashima
Old Jun 25, 2017, 08:56 PM
Trusted Editor

I hear too the voice of Kazuko Kawashima.
I'm nearly sure that's her who did the scats for this album.
She does always the scats for Seiji Yokoyama's albums.

I didn't open a thread about that in part because Anison.info said that was Satoko Yamano who did the scats in this album, but now that I know Anison.info does some errors sometimes, I think that is a mistake. If this is the only source, that's not enough.

Gerald Ory, big expert of Seiji Yokoyama/Kazuko Kawashima, says in his blog that is Kazuko Kawashima who did the scats in this album. I have more trust in him than Anison.info about that.

The question is: is the name of Satoko Yamano mentioned somewhere in the text of the insert? If not, I think we should delete her name from this album page.

Last edited by SaintSquall; Jun 25, 2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:20 PM

I'm not sure if you guys were aware of this, but a few months ago this album was re-issued:

https://www.discogs.com/Seiji-Yokoya...lease/10311843

This release looks really suspicious, though. It's supposedly part of the "Columbia Sound Treasure" series but there's barely any info on it, and it was released in Europe only...

Somebody on YT uploaded a sound clip of one of the tracks from this reissue and it honestly doesn't sound that bad. I may consider getting a copy myself.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 09:23 PM
VGMdb Staff

It can't be a Europe release, sure the code match a vinyl release but I prefer waiting a real picture to check. Anyway I know that release is a vinyl rip of the original one.

EDIT..
there is a picture of back cover here.
1) printed in Japan
2) it seems released in 2016
3) it can't be COJX-9297 simply because Columbia new vinyls are not sorted by genre as in the past but simple follow the number release, and they changed only the last letter which represent the genre (X for animes). There's a COJY-9297 which seems a jazz album... so as always I say discogs is shit.
4) if they released really as COJX-9297 to follow the double "Umi no Triton" LP (COJX-9295/6) is a proof of bootleg release
5) there isn't a japanese page with this re-release

Last edited by depa; Oct 25, 2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 02:04 AM

http://columbia.jp/soundtreasure/
I'd like to know where you got that info that it's supposed to be a part of CST

... X for animes ...
huh actually X isn't only for animes, but also for games, sentai, albums etc.

... There's a COJY-9297 which seems a jazz album
if they released really as COJX-9297 to follow the double "Umi no Triton" LP (COJX-9295/6) is a proof of bootleg release ...

actually, depa you're not very familiar with columbia cataloguing?
because columbia failed at cataloguing some releases, i.e. some releases have the same serial number (in that example 9297 is the serial no.)
so you can't assume it's a bootleg from that catalog no. (because columbia isn't consistent like a lot of labels)

however, the pix don't seem to have any visible catalog, so it could be a bootleg with some columbia info to deceive people (that and the fact columbia site has no info)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
Anyway I know that release is a vinyl rip of the original one.
Would it still be worth getting just so the very low-quality upload that's already out there can be replaced?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqz96b4sRBQ

This is what the re-issue sounds like
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:27 AM
VGMdb Staff

Hey Phono, look the lower left part of back cover. They forgot to remove the "Umi no Triton Original Soundtrack" (海のトリトン オリジナル・サウンドトラック)... CASE CLOSED!!!
Those idiots can't bootleg something without remove proof, ahahhahaha

Last edited by depa; Nov 2, 2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:30 AM

sorry depa but some labels can also forget to correct some info used from album to album
example: WM-0516 (sonic) & WM-0516 (mushiking) they forgot to change some infos (doesn't mean it's bootlegs ;p)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:43 AM
VGMdb Staff

that case is ok about cat.no release but here there no Obi, no JAN or codebar.
They have pasted from that double LP release of Umi no Triton, changed the date and number of vintage vinyl, removed JAN but "strange case" forgot to remove that long title... simply because they don't read japanese.

Last edited by depa; Nov 2, 2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:49 AM

don't misunderstand me, I don't say it's not a bootleg
I just say labels make errors, not only bootlegers

Last edited by Phonograph; Nov 2, 2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:57 AM
VGMdb Staff

I understood your point, sometimes it happened with official label.
This is maybe the most wanted LP of Columbia label, tons of people still search it... so someone have tried by himself to make money.
Columbia if still have the original master tapes, would release in CD to commemorate master Yokoyama who passed away recently
Old Nov 2, 2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
Columbia if still have the original master tapes, would release in CD to commemorate master Yokoyama who passed away recently
The chances of that happening for this anime are very low since Marvel apparently hates this movie...
Old Nov 3, 2017, 02:13 AM

That scan of the 2016 re-pressing is mine - I own the LP physically. I would not ordinarily support bootleggers, but a copy of the original cannot be had for less than £250 at the moment, which is plain insanity.

Everything about it cries out "bootleg" - and not just errors on the cover which don't prove anything.

Signs:

1. The cover is printed with a matte finish and is slightly blurred; suggesting someone scanned an original LP cover at a fairly low resolution, photoshopped away blemishes and what have you, and had it reprinted.

2. The label on the vinyl itself is blurry. Again, they look like reprints from scans.

3. The vinyl itself is OK but the cutting is very non-standard, with an enormous lead-in and a lead-out which ends less than 1mm from the label. It looks like the master was cut in a rush, or by someone who didn't entirely know what they were doing.

4. Nonetheless, it sounds very good - I have no complaints at all about the sound quality.

I wish I could learn the true story behind this release. It is completely non-sensical. Why on earth would you release a bootleg vinyl in 2016, with all the attendant costs - mastering, cutting, manufacture of stampers, manufacture of records, printing of artwork, shipping from the plant, etc? A CD would sell ten times better, cost ten times less to produce, and would fill a genuine gap in the market - making this score available digitally. Why would you just try to duplicate an LP? This must have been a labour of love for someone.

Also... where did the sound come from? Did they digitise the original LP, clean it up, and have it pressed again to vinyl? If so, who did the digitising, was it done properly, was the source in good condition? Did they somehow manage to get their hands on a master tape? If so, why not copy the master tape to CD, make copies as you need them, and sell it for £10 a pop with no lead costs and no need to involve third parties who might work out that they're pressing a bootleg and call the police on you?

In the dead wax of the LP, there is the following text.

"SIDE A (or B) - TOD"

That's it. Anyone fancy doing some Sherlock Holmes work???