VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 19, 2020, 08:18 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I added a link to the official Square Enix page for the soundtrack. That has links to seven different online shops where you can pre-order both the limited edition and standard edition from.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 08:21 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I'll say one good thing and one bad thing about this announcement.

First, seven discs! Plus a bonus disc for the special edition! That is a ton of music and I can't wait to hear it all.

Now the bad thing: I really dislike that they abbreviated the limited edition to "Special Edit Version". It makes it sound like it's actually an abbreviated version, one that's been edited down.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:43 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

The track lists are up for both the limited edition and regular edition (and if you change the page to English using the toggle at the top of the page, it has a fully translated English track list as well)! I've added both the English and Japanese track lists to this page and the standard version. There is no track list (or even number of tracks) for the eighth disc yet, so I just put in a single untitled track for it. We'll have to create a new track list once that information is known. Also, there are some pictures of the full package contents for both versions. I added those images to each entry on in the database.

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/music/sem/page/FF7R/ost/

Something interesting I noticed is that there are two tracks called "???", one on the second disc and one on the seventh disc. Either those are actually the titles, or there the titles are a major story spoiler so they didn't want to reveal it yet.

Last edited by Chris Porter; Mar 31, 2020 at 12:35 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 06:48 AM

Amazon Japan is selling this for 7,777 yen if you preorder.

I don't know how long that will last, but I preordered day one, and saved 800 yen or so.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:09 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
Amazon Japan is selling this for 7,777 yen if you preorder.

I don't know how long that will last, but I preordered day one, and saved 800 yen or so.
I pre-ordered from Amazon Japan on day 1 and it was ¥8,555. That’s the price that’s showing up for me now too.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 01:26 PM

It shows up for me as ¥8555, but when I proceeded to check out, it changed to ¥7777.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 01:47 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
It shows up for me as ¥8555, but when I proceeded to check out, it changed to ¥7777.
iirc it shows the price incl tax on the store page, but removes the tax if you order to outside of Japan.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 01:56 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbtz View Post
iirc it shows the price incl tax on the store page, but removes the tax if you order to outside of Japan.
Ah, okay. I live in Japan, so that explains why the price remains as listed for me.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 08:51 PM

Question Shipping to Australia?

Hi there, I'm just curious if there's any way at all for the soundtrack to be purchased and shipped to Australia? So far I've found no such way to do so :/
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:04 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzEEPzEE View Post
Hi there, I'm just curious if there's any way at all for the soundtrack to be purchased and shipped to Australia? So far I've found no such way to do so :/
I know that Amazon Japan has the option to ship to at least the U.S. (and probably many more places) because I know people who use it from there, but you'll need to create an account on the Japanese version of the site. There should be an option to change the language to English if you can't read Japanese.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 05:36 PM

Really shocked that there is no blu-ray release. I wonder if they plan on enticing people to double dip after they finish all the CD format releases.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damned View Post
Really shocked that there is no blu-ray release. I wonder if they plan on enticing people to double dip after they finish all the CD format releases.
That collection I'm already thinking will be mad expensive but it will be so tempting... I think we might get a better idea of a Blu-ray release if this soundtrack gets released on Hi Res online shops like mora. I'd even be down for a USB release with all tracks in Hi Res.

Side note, not sure why but cannot edit the Disc 8 tracklist - if anyone wants to give it a go, here's the tracklist from the updated official site:

01 The Prelude
02 Hip Hop de Chocobo
03 Barret's Theme
04 Stamp
05 Electric de Chocobo
06 Costa del Sol
07 Gold Saucer
08 Descendant of Shinobi
09 Tango of Tears
10 Under the Rotting Pizza
11 Honeybee Inn
12 Don of the Slums
13 Farm Boy
14 Let the Battles Begin! -REMAKE-
15 The Midgar Blues
16 The Oppressed
17 Let the Battles Begin!
18 Turks' Theme
19 Fight On!
20 Good Night, Until Tomorrow
21 Wutai
22 Lurking in the Darkness
23 Stamp
24 The Midgar Blues

Last edited by blue490246; Apr 13, 2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 06:27 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue490246 View Post
Not sure why but cannot edit the Disc 8 tracklist, if anyone wants to give it a go, here's the tracklist from the updated official site

01 The Prelude
02 Hip Hop de Chocobo
03 Barret's Theme
04 Stamp
05 Electric de Chocobo
06 Costa del Sol
07 Gold Saucer
08 Descendant of Shinobi
09 Tango of Tears
10 Under the Rotting Pizza
11 Honeybee Inn
12 Don of the Slums
13 Farm Boy
14 Let the Battles Begin! -REMAKE-
15 The Midgar Blues
16 The Oppressed
17 Let the Battles Begin!
18 Turks' Theme
19 Fight On!
20 Good Night, Until Tomorrow
21 Wutai
22 Lurking in the Darkness
23 Stamp
24 The Midgar Blues
You can edit existing track lists, but can’t add more tracks. We’ll have to copy and paste the existing tracks to a new track list and add disc 8’s tracks now that we know what they are.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
You can edit existing track lists, but can’t add more tracks. We’ll have to copy and paste the existing tracks to a new track list and add disc 8’s tracks now that we know what they are.
Ah I see, sorry! First time doing this - will give that a try. Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2020, 06:32 AM

cd8: best of ff7 ost?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
It's the jukebox tracks from the game. They are all rearrangements in different genres. I think there are a few new/original tracks in there too.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 06:37 AM

I know it's from jukebox, so I'm gonna widen my question to ost / arrangetracks / brassff7 / any album made with ff7

I won't be surprised if all tracks come from existing albums
Old Apr 13, 2020, 06:41 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
Brand new arrangements! They're all new and quite original takes on the classics. "Stamp" is a brand new one and it's pretty awesome. Haha! I won't spoil it for you if you haven't heard it in the game yet.

Also, do we think that this eighth disc might account for the huge list of arrangers credited for FF7R? I wonder if the main three or four (Hamauzu, M. Suzuki, Kawamori) handled the majority of the in-game arrangements, then a lot of those other names credited as arrangers did some of these jukebox arrangements. Just speculating. I really have no idea. I'm hoping the soundtrack has full, track-by-track credits for composition and arrangement...but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
Brand new arrangements! They're all new and quite original takes on the classics. "Stamp" is a brand new one and it's pretty awesome. Haha! I won't spoil it for you if you haven't heard it in the game yet.

Also, do we think that this eighth disc might account for the huge list of arrangers credited for FF7R? I wonder if the main three or four (Hamauzu, M. Suzuki, Kawamori) handled the majority of the in-game arrangements, then a lot of those other names credited as arrangers did some of these jukebox arrangements. Just speculating. I really have no idea. I'm hoping the soundtrack has full, track-by-track credits for composition and arrangement...but I'm not holding my breath.
Quite possibly! There's actually so much diversity in genre across the entire game's soundtrack this time round for a FF game. It'd be hard to arrange in so many styles as a single arranger (not impossible though, I guess haha).

Stamp was an interesting one. I love what they did with Under the Rotting Pizza too, actually both the Jukebox version and the Remake version.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:30 PM

The title for disc 3 track 15 was changed and corrected from "Who Are You?" to "Who Am I?" per the official website.

I tried to edit the tracklist but my submission was rejected for some reason. It was approved for the standard version anyway.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 02:48 AM

After a few listens of gamerips, I can say that this soundtrack is one of the best to come out of FF in a while. Leagues better than FFXV imo. All of the arrangements are rather good, even cutscene music is quite listenable, and Masashi Hamauzu and Mitsuto Suzuki have certainly contributed a good chunk of music. I'm really surprised they didn't use Yoshitaka Suzuki as much as I thought, but that's good, because I really dislike his arrangements and music in general.
There's a lot of original tracks that FF13 music fans will adore. Very diverse OST.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 09:49 AM

To me, this is the appropriate evolution from the XIII trilogy soundtracks while adding some of the elements from the myriad of gacha and mobile game arrangements (for better or worse, Y. Suzuki) and even XIV in the past six or seven years. It reminds me a lot of the spirit of FFXIII-2's soundscape without sounding directionless or incohesive, which is a major gripe I had with XV.

Also, those final boss themes? It's like Nascent Requiem and Mißgestalt had a love child.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 07:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

So does anyone know if we'll get a digital version of this? I want all 8 discs of music and I want it digital. Haven't seen a place to buy that yet.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:12 PM

Default A Solution!

CD Japan will ship to Australia and New Zealand. I am from California and now live in New Zealand, and have received packages from CD Japan in both countries. EMS shipping from Japan is usually a day faster to NZ than California, so I assume the same would be for Australia. And if you pre-order from them they don't charge your credit card until it ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzEEPzEE View Post
Old Apr 26, 2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
So does anyone know if we'll get a digital version of this? I want all 8 discs of music and I want it digital. Haven't seen a place to buy that yet.
I imagine we will, though standard practice for Square digital releases doesn't typically involve a digital pre-order. SD3 Trials of Mana being a notable exception.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 05:51 PM
Trusted Editor

It looks like the Special Edition sold out on Amazon Japan and all the listings for it there are from resellers now. First time I've seen a non-limited edition soundtrack actually sell out there so this one might become rare/expensive sooner rather than later.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad King View Post
It looks like the Special Edition sold out on Amazon Japan and all the listings for it there are from resellers now. First time I've seen a non-limited edition soundtrack actually sell out there so this one might become rare/expensive sooner rather than later.
It seems like it might be going back and forth being in and out of stock- I thought I missed my chance at first, since I had been debating purchasing it and it went out of stock while I was deciding, but it came back like two days later and lasted for a while
Old May 4, 2020, 01:22 AM

OOS on Cdjapan, Play-Asia, Yes Asia, Square Store (EU/JP), etc... dunno if we will see it back very often.
Old May 4, 2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
OOS on Cdjapan, Play-Asia, Yes Asia, Square Store (EU/JP), etc... dunno if we will see it back very often.
Also out of stock at HMV, Amazon.co.jp (available from resellers double the price), Rakuten, 7Net, Tower Records, basically every store. Yodobashi mentions that the reservation period has ended. I was not aware it would be this short.
Old May 6, 2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad King View Post
Isn't this edition by definition limited? Both Amazon.co.jp and CDJapan have it listed as a Limited Edition product, anyway.

When the Xenoblade2 special edition OST was an Amazon.co.jp exclusive, it easily sold out early.