VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 18, 2009, 11:20 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

She states in her interview that she was no longer involved with Castlevania after the first couple games. She states on her MySpace page that she didn't even know her music on Castlevania was being orchestrated (i.e. Video Game Live) until well after the fact. Because of this, I've marked her as "Feat." on newer albums that credit her for Castlevania music.
Old May 20, 2009, 08:12 AM

Eww, if we are starting to discern whether the composer of reused music was actually involved or not we'll need to adapt plenty of other composers' work list accordingly (and in many other cases the actual involvement can't be verified either way).

Also I don't see how to mark a composer "feat.", I assume this is a staff-only feature?
Old May 20, 2009, 11:22 AM

She worked on Mega Man X3? I wonder why she wasn't credited on the OST.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:03 AM

Couldn't it be possible that she's "Minakuchi Engineering Staff"? Supposedly that's a unit, but who are its members? Toshihiko Horiyama, Syusaku Uchiyama, and Yoshino Aoki?

After hearing the arranged side of Mega Man X3, her style seemed to be there, especially in Ending 1 (track 67).
Old May 28, 2009, 08:55 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Eww, if we are starting to discern whether the composer of reused music was actually involved or not we'll need to adapt plenty of other composers' work list accordingly (and in many other cases the actual involvement can't be verified either way).

Also I don't see how to mark a composer "feat.", I assume this is a staff-only feature?
I'm not sure if it's staff only or not, but it's listed on the artist linking page as a check box. Also, this is already being used on the pages of several artists using our best judgement to discern. (Innocent until proven guilty!) The best aspect of this feature is that it oft separates a composer's new works from their reused works on their profile page.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:52 AM

In OSV's recent interview with Yamashita she says
Quote:
for Rockman X3, I composed and programmed all the music.
...so, mistranslation? Perhaps it meant to say that she composed some music and did all the music programming?

One of the commenters also pointed out that she only wrote one track for Walk It Out on the Wii. I wondered about that as well, since the title is also credited on Akari Kaida's web site.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:07 AM

According to the OSV-Interview she also did Rockman X3. Should we add her to the Rockman X1-6 Box entry?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 09:18 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
According to the OSV-Interview she also did Rockman X3. Should we add her to the Rockman X1-6 Box entry?
I say we should. Even if "Minakuchi Engineering Staff" is an alias for her, we have no way of knowing for sure. I'll add her to the artists for the album and put some info in the notes.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Even if "Minakuchi Engineering Staff" is an alias for her, we have no way of knowing for sure.
I've asked her whether it is, but awaiting publishing he interview till a couple of months since didn't expect OSV to be interviewing her at same time.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoZeke View Post
Couldn't it be possible that she's "Minakuchi Engineering Staff"? Supposedly that's a unit, but who are its members? Toshihiko Horiyama, Syusaku Uchiyama, and Yoshino Aoki?

After hearing the arranged side of Mega Man X3, her style seemed to be there, especially in Ending 1 (track 67).
According to her Youtube page, she favorited a Rockman X3 video that had the Ending and Cast Roll tracks. Because they share a similar melody, I believe she is responsible for the composition of both tracks. Minakuchi Engineering Staff is on top solely because the person/people involved helped in the arranging process for the majority of the tracks. Kinuyo, on the other hand, might have solely been responsible for the two aforementioned tracks. Even so, Minakuchi Engineering Staff is represented by/under Kinuyo, therefore Kinuyo holds the greatest share of the X3 soundtrack.

Furthermore:

MINAKUCHI---> K I N U M A C H I

K I N U Y O Y A M A S H I T A

Assume that the C can be replaced with an S in terms of how close they sound (chi/shi) or simply due to mistranslation and the answer is right in front of you. Kinuyo Yamashita = Minakuchi
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:14 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
Furthermore:

MINAKUCHI---> K I N U M A C H I

K I N U Y O Y A M A S H I T A

Assume that the C can be replaced with an S in terms of how close they sound (chi/shi) or simply due to mistranslation and the answer is right in front of you. Kinuyo Yamashita = Minakuchi
That's rather clever, but a lot of Japanese names have similar syllables and letters. I'd call it a stretch.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
In the same interview it's mentioned that she composed for King's Valley II - The Seal of Elgiza. Do we know if she is the composer of those two tracks "Sandfall" and "In search of the secret spell" that were arranged in Gallery of Labyrinth?

I mean, there must be a reason to include those two tracks in the game (and I think it's a first for a Castlevania game to reference music from another series), other than the obvious egyptian mood of the stage. I'm pretty sure the liner notes in the soundtrack would explain this, anyone care to translate?

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=9491

Track 24 & 25 are the ones in question.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:11 AM

Exclamation

I just recently received a friend request from Kinuyo herself over at YT and a PM following the acceptance of her request:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinuyo Yamashita @ YouTube

Thank you for adding me and friendship.
And, thank you for the video of Mega Man X3.
I was able to listen to the music of Mega Man X3.
I composed all music of Mega Man X3.
Minakuchi Engineering is a name of the company.
I'm a composer of free-lance.
The request of this work was received from the company of me.

Thank you.

Kinuyo
...Ergo, Toshihiko Horiyama, Syusaku Uchiyama, and Makoto Tomozawa were arrangers.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:58 AM

That's why we love Yamako-san!

If only we could solve our doubts like this for all the other composers...
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:21 AM

Did anyone ask her if she's a Guns N' Roses fan?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:44 AM

LOL, I actually did. I'm still waiting for her reply. =P
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:29 AM

wow.
*retagging Mega Man X3 now*
indeed, if only it were that easy for all composers here's looking at you, X1...
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:20 PM

Y'know, after her insight, I'd wager that Setsuo Yamamoto, Yuki Iwai, and Yuko Takehara composed the music for X1 while Toshihiko Horiyama and Makoto Tomozawa remained as arrangers.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:34 PM

Mystery solved. Good work Zeke!

This is also further evidence that Capcom is really f'in weird. A whole team of composers at their disposal and they hire a freelancer to do the whole score. Go figure.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:16 PM

I'll say. Capcom sure likes to be ambivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJCrb View Post
Did anyone ask her if she's a Guns N' Roses fan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinuyo Yamashita @ YouTube

Guns N' Roses?
I don't know them.
I composed in the image of Mega Man.
Yes, I PM'd her anew linking her to that video. We'll see what she replies. To me it has been always coincidence, but that's just me...
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:48 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:19 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue View Post
To me, that's one of the worst things to accuse a composer of... Very, very rude.
The Yoko Kanno plagiarism stuff on YouTube is the most ridiculous I've seen so far, and people buy into it just because they can't differentiate between musical style and ripping something off.
Show them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVnMf2t7w and watch their brains melt.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:40 PM

Tell me about it... Some people just have way too much time on their hands. To be honest, I almost never catch the similarities if there are any. Taking the Neon Tiger stage theme as an example, myself, I never noticed; I knew thanks to a friend who mentioned the similarities, and all I said was, "neat". Over the years I've construed it as a simple coincidence, but it is funny seeing how many think Capcom "ripped it off" or whatever.

Many Mega Man fans, or for whatever VGM as far as I'm concerned, like to go out their way pointing out how this or that theme sounds just like this or that song, and it's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

PS: I have that video favorited, Giga. =P
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue View Post
To me, that's one of the worst things to accuse a composer of... Very, very rude.
Not being rude, I am genuinely quite curious about it, and I certainly would not lose any respect for her if she was inspired by My Michelle. The similarities are definitely there, but it could be entirely coincidental. Given that music is limited to only so many notes, it's not implausible for two different people to come up with similar melodies. It's just something I've wondered about.

Never mind the GnR references for Maverick names in the western localization of X4, although that could just be a case of a very bored localization team. :P

Last edited by KyleJCrb; Jan 16, 2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 05:53 AM

Agreed, KyleJCrb; I asked her out of curiosity and not in light of pointing fingers at her. As I said, I do believe it is coincidental...and who knows, maybe she was given directions from Capcom for it to sound like that(?). But as I said, it is coincidental as far as I'M concerned. Also, nobody here has accused her of plagiarism.

As for the Maverick names, you're referring to X5 and they were intentional. Don't ask me what they were thinking back then, but Capcom's unyielding fanaticism for GnR is sometimes a bit too much, and X5 is a prime example of it.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 06:43 PM

So Kinuyo composed Toxic Seahorse, Gravity Beetle, Blizzard Buffalo, Crush Crawfish AND Volt Catfish. She just went up 8 notches on the scale of awesome.

Excellent work Zeke, and while you're on the topic of arrangers, I would just like to point out that Syusaku has not been credited for a single 16-bit game aside from X3. I think that he, like Yoshino, was solely an arranger for the arrange version.

and Kaleb. G, I've got just four words for you:

I TOLD YOU SO.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jan 29, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:39 PM

It's a shame that MMX3 doesn't have a staff roll so we could further confirm that...
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
I'd wager that Setsuo Yamamoto, Yuki Iwai, and Yuko Takehara composed the music for X1
I'd put money on Setsuo Yamamoto being a dominant force in the soundtrack. Having heard other SNES soundtracks he has worked on, both the compositional style (hard rock but with ample funk/fusion influence) and the instrument samples are very alike. There are a few tracks that I think are Yuko's though.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
I'd put money on Setsuo Yamamoto being a dominant force in the soundtrack. Having heard other SNES soundtracks he has worked on, both the compositional style (hard rock but with ample funk/fusion influence) and the instrument samples are very alike. There are a few tracks that I think are Yuko's though.
Setsuo has been confirmed as the composer of Zero's original theme (1-07) through Rockman Zero Remastered Tracks and his name is on top of the composer list for a reason. I would like to see your other theories on Setsuo and Yuko's compositions, but please post them on their respective channels. Thank you.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 9, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 05:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
and Kaleb. G, I've got just four words for you:

I TOLD YOU SO.
You didn't tell me shit. PsychoZeke is the one who got proof. Kudos to him.