VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:33 PM

Default Do you buy legit only soundtracks?

Being a fan of video game music and enjoy collecting soundtracks is a very expensive hobby, actually more so than buying video games. With this in mind, do you always buy legit copies, or are there at times where you can't afford and go for the bootleg option?
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:34 PM
Trusted Editor

Buying bootlegs is stupid, you can just as well download the album then.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Look at this thread. http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9788
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:14 PM
Trusted Editor

I think I never posted in that thread, maybe because I already outlined my position here: VGMDB's A Beginner's Guide to Buying VGM
Old Jun 22, 2013, 08:36 PM

If your buying a bootleg at least you know your buying a fake. However when sellers get fishy with providing information on rare cd's that get pirated, like Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, even though their stock photo, info, catalogue # seems correct, or believe thats its the legit shiz and try to pass it of as the real thing that's were the fun stops.

This happened to me on eBay recently and CS never replied me back. Took a gamble and got fukd right on the ass with a 'dud'. I keep it to remind myself that deceptions may occur when taking chances...

watayougunado...
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:44 PM

It's true collecting is very expensive, plus the space they take up, but it can be a little more manageable if you shop around, bide your time and limit spending. I have a hefty wish list with lots of super rare expensive soundtracks, but there are plenty I want in the $20-30 range, so I am trying to focus on these and hopefully I will spot a rare one at a cheap price in the meantime, it happens.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Buying bootlegs is stupid, you can just as well download the album then.
Yes, but this was not the case when dial-up was king of the internet and sharing options weren't as varied as they are today. That is one of the reasons there aren't nearly as many bootlegs available for game/anime soundtracks as there were in the mid 90's/early 2000's. Son May "releases" are actually quite rare because they are nearly all out of print and no place carries them and no one really got them because they were perceived to have no value when they were in print (not saying they have value now, but the irony is they are harder to find than the originals)

I still have a number of bootlegs floating around my collection, mostly due to monetary issues and their availability (there used to be a store in my local mall that stocked them, so I'd occasionally pick one up here and there). They helped open my VGM listening up, when buying $30+ OSTs (many being curiousities than outright desires) was simply not an option.

I've been a longtime VGM fan, but my stance on bootlegs is that it's up to the individual publishers to police them and prevent their distribution. For the most part, this did not happen. I think a lot of fan sites took it upon themselves to inform people about the existence of bootlegs and they succeeded, but the hands-off approach of the various publishers never sat right with me. If they wanted to prevent their sales on ebay or in stores, a couple cease-and-desist letters would have sufficed.

My only issue with bootlegs is if someone is stupid or crooked enough to sell them as official releases.

Edit: And heh, I said the same thing in that old thread. Ah well, it's always a fun subject and recurring VGM theme.

Last edited by GoldfishX; Jun 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 06:05 AM

I too bought SonMay stuff when I didnt knew about bootlegs which pisses me off now since I paid up to 80$ for "rare" soundtracks back then.

These soundtracks actually cost like 5-10$ when you buy them in HongKong or Taiwan...

so for my VGM collection, legit only!

I'm used to shelling out big money for rare retro games, so why not the same for rare game music cds?