VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 13, 2009, 09:24 PM

Default An useful feature for collectors with many albumns

Well I have been here for while and like the way the search feature works however something is missing there. We have 3 fields as:

Catalogue Number
Album Title
Release Date

I have constantly been updating my collection and time to time I get confused by the fact many albums are reprints or some have identical names but differ by catalogue number of course.

I was wondering if it was possible to show the albums that we own while searching an example:

If I search for a key word like "Castle" all words or names will be showed or got from the database then they will show me all related to those 6 letters but it will never show which own I won. The only way to find them is by clicking and check if its "already in my collection" string or text.

I was thinking about to use a symbol or image like the reprint to show that we won the albums. The reprint is yellow with a letter R in the in the centre of the round yellow ball. I was thinking if was possible to create another field telling us while we were searching in a list of in the case the "Castle" word is returned 48 matches of these 48 matches it should tell us which one we won.

I think that would be an awesome feature for people with a huge collection.

What do you gentle men or women think about?

Last edited by Metroid; Apr 13, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 02:36 PM

This is another great idea, sadly still no updates.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 03:27 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So you're requesting that albums in your own collection be marked in some manner when you view the search results or browse lists?

There's no technical reason why we couldn't, but I'd want to hear how important this actually was to everyone.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 04:53 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I think it would be a neat feature, but not incredibly important to me at the time.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 05:37 PM

Yes, suppose I'm a collector with many albums when I say many I'm saying hundreds to thousands of albums.

What is the best place for a Video Game Music collector?
Indiscussable VGMdb, so I open an account.

What do I want?
Simple I want to organize my collection which contains everything as official, doujins to bootlegs albums etc...

What is it going to be the best method to find what exactly I owe or will want? The search feature is the best thing we collectors have.

Right so I just finished the addition of a final fantasy album to my collection, what happens If I forget which final fantasy album I added to my collection?
The easiest way would be go to the search, type final fantasy see the returned results and then check which one you owe.

How can I see which albums I owe?
Right now there are 2 easy ways I could see my collection, first is by clicking on my username at the top and choose the "my collection" tab, second on an album page and then "add to my collection" and then after added the album "View my collection". I know there are other ways to see it but these are the common ways I use.

A collector with many albums may forget which album he added to his collection or which album he wants, so the best way to see which one he wants or has is the search feature and that is the place where he can see clearly which albums are missing on his collection or has on his collection.

The filter implementation done by Gigablah right here into this thread http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2974 is the perfect match altogether with this feature. That would be an outstanding implementation for collectors. The search feature altogether with the filterbox would show which albums are missing on my collection or which ones I have, by just using the filterbox and I would not need to go to the my collection page all the time.

I know this is an ambitious implementation, many users are well over 100 albums, with the Touhou mania this will grow exponentially. It is just like Kaleb.G said, this feature is not that important right now because not many users have 200+ albums, but that will change.

Last edited by Metroid; Sep 22, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:10 AM

Personally, I organize my CDs into subfolders. If I want to know which Ys albums I have, I just go to my collection and check the "Ys series" folder. If there are any other Ys albums that I want but don't have, I would add them to my wishlist. I think organizing your collection helps out a lot in this regard, and I am surprised that more people don't do this.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 03:41 AM

I think that having a checkbox for restricting search with "Album is in my collection" on the advanced search panel would be really nice.
It would be simple and easy way to do extensive collection browsing.