VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Nov 16, 2007, 08:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Getting some of the updates out of the way first...

- Artists who have multiple aliases credited in a single album will now have those aliases displayed properly in their discography. (thanks CHz for pointing this out)
- Alias entries and alias linking now possible (see this thread)
- Graphical tweaks to the latest album submission queue
- Artist names now switchable between languages on album pages

Additional updates:
- Unassigned artists in artist management are now compared case insensitively to the assigned artist list.
- Alias list in artist profiles is now also obtained via case insensitive comparison, so no more alias duplicates with different case.
- Reprints no longer show up under the related albums section.
- (Internet Explorer 6 specific) Browse menu no longer takes two clicks to open.
- Release date and composers added to upcoming albums list.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:04 PM

Borked uploading a scan on Rock Beat album. It wasn't recognizing the source file, yet it created the scans anyway. I would have fixed it myself but to delete them but you need staff powers, so sorry about that leaving it like it is.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:30 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish View Post
Borked uploading a scan on Rock Beat album. It wasn't recognizing the source file, yet it created the scans anyway. I would have fixed it myself but to delete them but you need staff powers, so sorry about that leaving it like it is.
Fixed that with Carl's covers
Old Nov 28, 2007, 06:23 AM
VGMdb Administrator

- Fixed the issue of alias-type artists not being listed in the dropdown suggestions for artist management.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:19 AM

Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh dear, that's horrible. Steps will be taken to punish the parties responsible.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 01:33 PM

Just send 500€ to my PayPal account and everything will be just fine.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:45 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Fixed the mistake.

I also added a warning in the album edit moderation panel, which will alert the reviewer if one of the edits is on a field that has already been assigned/linked. That way, they can investigate more thoroughly.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 01:36 PM

Nice!

Just wondering if it's more appropriate to use "image(s)" instead of "images", because when only one image is actually in the gallery it says "This gallery contains 1 images".
Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:55 AM
VGMdb Administrator

- Alias list now shows up for group-type artists
- Artist browse list changed to three-column format
- Secondary sort for discography is now catalogue number instead of album title
- Album discussion feature
- Recent updates expanded to include ratings

Also including fixes by Secret Squirrel such as
- Bootleg entries now denote "bootleg of" rather than "reprint" in both Parent and Child displays
- The website link has been removed from dispaly for Bootleg entries
- DVD and VHS media types separated
- Sharp X1 added to platform list
- Ratings changed to a 5-star format, with new images.
- Advanced search updated to include search by username for album submission/edit and tracklist submission/edit
- Several warning messages added to the album-edit moderation panel to alert staff if a linked field is updated, or a credited tracklist is edited.

The next update will roll over to 0.12.0 and incorporate the new "organization" database table (publishers, labels, doujin groups) and artist portraits. Stay tuned!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 03:10 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'd been neglecting to increment the version counter, so I'll just edit your post and add the rest of them.

The recent ratings page is a great addition. I'd never even thought of that.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 04:51 AM

http://www.vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=2639 has tracks duplicated, is it a bug or an error on the submitter's part? Doesn't seem to be a double tracklist issue like the one FPI mentioned earlier.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 05:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Good find. That kind of error was possible if you submitted a tracklist twice using our old interface (2006), long before alpha. Anyway, I've taken care of it.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:28 AM

http://www.vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=22074 sorry I uploaded the wrong pic
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:36 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T View Post
No problem. All taken care of.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:18 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Fixed a bug that prevented the submission of an override tracklist for a reprint. Please let me know if there are any other peculiarities in the tracklist submission system.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:32 AM

The "Submission System" link in the Add a New Tracklist / Add Scans / Manage Scans is broken.

It seems new albums added by staff (e.g. Gaia, Teioh) do not appear in the submit albums page. They do appear in the recent changes, however.

Last edited by R-T; Jan 2, 2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 05:38 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Fixed the link. Thanks for catching that.

The list on the Submit Albums page is mainly to track the acceptance/rejection of user submitted changes. In practice though, it's not really that useful because of the sheer number of edits. Also, the original intent was to also sho edits, tracklists submission, and scan submissions, which we'll still have to do at some point, but it's rather low priority right now.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 05:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I removed the "submission system" link and replaced it with a link back to the album viewing page, to make it consistent with the newer interfaces.

By the way, I added that list on the Submit Album page only to track new additions, not edits. The intent is to let non-staff check up on the status of their submissions. Ideally, the album title should be preserved on that list even when the submission is rejected, with an explanation message from the staff member who moderated the submission (currently not implemented).
Old Jan 2, 2008, 07:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I totally forgot that the submission system worked quite differently back in the initial (GFA) days. Probably what we really need to keep track of (and provide feedback for) is the rejections. However, some changes are fixed by edit (usually from a trusted editor), so those won't be able to be reverted via the moderation panel, for fear of losing additional edited content.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 02:29 PM

)I have a weird numbering for http://www.vgmdb.net/db/tracklist-su...o=edit&id=8465

:O

I entered
Code:
1 I'm on your side - Corticarte Character Song

2 Way to go - Phoron Character Song

3 Watashi dake no Melody - Perserte Character Song

4 SAVING - Prinesca Character Song

5 REAL - Renbart Character Song

6 Melody - Eufinley Character Song
So the extra blank lines shall come from the fact I copy-pasted CRLF'd text from a Linux (LF) machine. Can the system automatically strip the extra characters?

Bug2:
http://www.vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=1431
It seems impossible to add a 2-disc tracklist, maybe because there are no time specs in the English tracklists?
Edit: Album CD count was set to 1. Fixed.
Please delete the first Japanese tl. (id=8516)

Last edited by R-T; Jan 4, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 07:30 AM

Not sure if I'd call this a bug or just a wtf kinda thing. If you look at the list of member collections that contain the ANUBIS soundtrack, you see an Unknown User at the top. Click on that member and you get an error page.

-Mike
Old Jan 6, 2008, 07:35 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker View Post
Not sure if I'd call this a bug or just a wtf kinda thing. If you look at the list of member collections that contain the ANUBIS soundtrack, you see an Unknown User at the top. Click on that member and you get an error page.

-Mike
Yeah, that's a biproduct of the fact that we used to be attached to the Gamingforce database. When we started over here on the new vB, we didn't want to lose anyone's collections, so I manually replaced the old userid with the new userid in everyone's collection. Unfortunately, not everyone who had a collection has signed up.

Anyway, I'll fix this tonight by deleting those collections that belong to unused member id's. That'll fix the problem once and for all.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:41 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T View Post
)I have a weird numbering for http://www.vgmdb.net/db/tracklist-su...o=edit&id=8465

:O

I entered
Code:
1 I'm on your side - Corticarte Character Song

2 Way to go - Phoron Character Song

3 Watashi dake no Melody - Perserte Character Song

4 SAVING - Prinesca Character Song

5 REAL - Renbart Character Song

6 Melody - Eufinley Character Song
So the extra blank lines shall come from the fact I copy-pasted CRLF'd text from a Linux (LF) machine. Can the system automatically strip the extra characters?

Bug2:
http://www.vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=1431
It seems impossible to add a 2-disc tracklist, maybe because there are no time specs in the English tracklists?
Edit: Album CD count was set to 1. Fixed.
Please delete the first Japanese tl. (id=8516)
Fixed both. Had to delete the tracklist for the first issue and simply add it again without those line breaks; I believe that was the easiest way to fix that.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 01:45 PM

I edited the tracklist of Neo Geo DJ Station Live '99: http://www.vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=3545 ,but it was my first entry and i accidentally added more then 1 tracklists in English.Can you please delete the other ones?Sorry about mistake
Old Jan 15, 2008, 04:44 AM

Hi,
is posting publisher URLs now limited to trusted editors?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 05:22 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I took out the publisher URL in preparation for integration with the publisher database. They will now be linked to the publisher instead of the album.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:34 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
I took out the publisher URL in preparation for integration with the publisher database. They will now be linked to the publisher instead of the album.
The only concern I have with this is that I was using the URL field on many albums to link directly to the page of the album on the publisher's site. For example, this album was linked to this page. I don't know if you want to discontinue this practice or provide another way of doing this.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:25 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
The only concern I have with this is that I was using the URL field on many albums to link directly to the page of the album on the publisher's site. For example, this album was linked to this page. I don't know if you want to discontinue this practice or provide another way of doing this.
I liked being able to link directly to official pages for the albums, especially for digital albums being the bread and butter of what I add. They need to be right on the album page. Providing only a general publisher link unintentionally undermines attempts to spread the word on any albums in question. Most people need to be pointed straight to the goods. If you don't do that, you lose out on a potential sale or download.

The need for a generalized linking to a publisher website is only necessary on a publisher's specific page, similar to the artists' pages. The previous system, allowing direct links to official album pages when possible, is the better route, and needs to be kept available in some form.

Last edited by Liontamer; Jan 15, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Don't worry, your submitted URLs are still in the album database. Later I'm going to implement a similar website linking system for albums as well, so in the end there'll be the ability to define multiple websites for artists, publishers, and albums.
Closed Thread