VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 1, 2021, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone know when a new page will be set up for this new soundtrack set?
Black
Red
I don't think one's been made for the bonus CD yet.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone know when a new page will be set up for this new soundtrack set?
You mean VGMdb pages? Those already exist.

Black: https://vgmdb.net/album/114949
Red: https://vgmdb.net/album/114950
bonus disc: https://vgmdb.net/album/115066

For whatever reason we've decided to discuss them all here though.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:35 AM

Now that I take a closer look at the tracklist, it would appear that the tracks for Rondo of Blood will likely be taken from the Dracula X Chronicles release as opposed to the Akumajo Dracula X album. I mention this mainly because the tracks do seem to sound a little different between the two releases, though it's only really noticeable on a few tracks such as Bloody Tears which also seems to have its fade-out cut off early in the DXC release. I'm not sure if one sounds closer to the in-games BGMs or anything like that though. I'm a bit curious if there will be any changes on the soundtrack for Bloodlines or not. If I recall correctly the version heard on the Akumajo Dracula X album sounds a bit different then the in-game tracks, possibly the result of it being an earlier or unfinished mix of the soundtrack seeing as how said album released a year prior to Bloodlines.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingAbyss View Post
Now that I take a closer look at the tracklist, it would appear that the tracks for Rondo of Blood will likely be taken from the Dracula X Chronicles release as opposed to the Akumajo Dracula X album. I mention this mainly because the tracks do seem to sound a little different between the two releases, though it's only really noticeable on a few tracks such as Bloody Tears which also seems to have its fade-out cut off early in the DXC release. I'm not sure if one sounds closer to the in-games BGMs or anything like that though. I'm a bit curious if there will be any changes on the soundtrack for Bloodlines or not. If I recall correctly the version heard on the Akumajo Dracula X album sounds a bit different then the in-game tracks, possibly the result of it being an earlier or unfinished mix of the soundtrack seeing as how said album released a year prior to Bloodlines.
Everything seems to be straight reprints of previous albums. The decision to use the DXC release for Rondo is surely because it's the only one that included the PSG tracks in addition to the Redbook.

That original Rondo recording though sounds a lot clearer and more dynamic than what's on the DXC album, which is flat by comparison (especially noticeable on Bloody Tears). I dunno if it's because there's an actual in-game difference in mastering between the TGCD and PSP versions, but it's possible they flattened the sound out for the handheld version.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 05:28 PM

Does this box set have any arranged tracks? Every disc is classified as "Original Soundtrack, Arrangement", but it looks like it's all original soundtracks from the games?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 07:04 PM

Aside from the two original tracks, all of disc 18 is arrangements. But you're right that most of the others are just OST and even cut out bonus arrangements from the albums they were taken from even though some of them would have fit.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 01:57 AM

I wanted to propose the idea of possibly streamlining the translations so that they're consistent between all of the Castlevania albums. Looking through the various soundtracks shows that there are many which have been translated differently across the various OSTs. However, to do that we would need to come to a general consensus on which translations to use.

Firstly, we should decide on if the literal translations or the titles featured in the sound tests should be used for the compilation releases (Music Box, Aka, Kuro, etc.) I'm of the opinion that the sound test titles for Aria of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow & Order of Ecclesia are faithful enough that they can be used over the more literal translations, that is with the exception of the erroneously labeled "Heart of Fire" and "Underground Melodies" from the Sorrow games. Track titles explicitly referring to the games' original Japanese titles such as "Cross of the Blue Moon" or "Gallery of Labyrinth" would of course be left alone though. Other than that I think the only debatable title from those ones would be whether to use "Ruined Castle Corridor" or just "Castle Corridor," I personally prefer the former even though the sound test for AoS uses the later. Harmony of Despair and Smash Bros. kept the "Ruined" in the title so I feel that it being an exception is justifiable.

Curse of Darkness' sound test titles are probably fine as well, although I personally prefer "Cordova Town" over "A Town Called Cordova," especially since the former is what's displayed on the in-game map. I also think that with the exception of "Dark Desires" that the Rondo of Blood track titles featured in Dracula X Chronicles should be acceptable, however the sound test for the Advance Collection release of Dracula X uses the more common "Den" rather than "The Nest," so I suppose that one is still up for debate. I should probably mention that doing it this way would still result in a few instances of the same track having alternate titles since for example, DXC's sound test used "Cross Your Heart" while PoR's used "Crucifix Held Close."

The Advance Collection sound test titles for Circle of the Moon (the original release didn't have one) should be fine with the possible exception of "Clockwork Mansion," I don't mind that translation too much myself, but something like "Trick Mansion" would be more accurate in context. The Advance Collection also changed "Fate to Despair" to "Fate of Despair," but since it was originally written in English as "Fate to Despair it makes more sense to leave it that way here. I'm not sure how Castlevania 64 should be handled, some of the titles that were used on the English release actually make more sense in context than their literal translations such as "Malus Reappears" rather than "Malus' Disaster," but some of the translations are pretty loose or omit parts of the title so it's probably better to stick with the unofficial translations for that one.

I'll list out the rest individually below:
Spoiler:
ドラキュラ城本館: We have both "Dracula Castle Main Building" and "Dracula Castle Main Hall." I'm leaning towards Dracula Castle Main Building. Also, should we translate "ドラキュラ城" as "Dracula's Castle" since that's how other titles such as SotN and CoD translated it?

地下道ステージ: We have both "Underground Path Stage" and "Underpass Stage," but I'd actually recommend using "Underground Passage Stage" as that is what it's listed as on the map featured in the Book of the Crescent Moon from the Castlevania Anniversary Collection.

メンバー参入デモ: We have "Member Joining Demo" and "Member Entry Demo." I would instead recommend going with "Member Introduction Demo" since the characters will always introduce themselves, but you can chose to not take them with you.

ドラキュラ城地下: We have "Under Dracula Castle" and "Dracula Castle Underground," I prefer the latter.

魔物の森: We have "Demon Forest" and "Forest of Evil Spirits." I prefer "Demon Forest" since it's less of a mouthful while still saying essentially the same thing. Based on what I could find online it appears that "魔物" is most commonly translated as either "demon" or "monster/beast" so I guess Monster Forest would also be a viable translation as well.

登城: We have "Ascension to the Castle," "Going into the Castle" and "In the Castle." I would instead recommend, "Ascent to the Castle."

獄幻界乱舞: We have "Wild Dance in Phantasmic Hell," "Dancing in Phantasmic Hell" & "Dance in Phantasmic Hell." The Advance Collection used "Wild Dance in Phantasmic Hell" while Grimoire of Souls used "Dancing in Phantasmic Hell." I could go either way on this one, but I suppose the latter is less of a mouthful.

悲劇のWedding March: We have "Tragic Wedding March," "Wedding March of Tragedy" & "Wedding March Tragedy." I'm not sure which would best fit the context.

十字架を胸に: We have "Cross in the Heart," "Cross on the Chest," "Crucifix Held Close," "Cross on the Breast" & "Cross Your Heart." I'd say we should probably go with either "Cross Your Heart" or maybe "Crucifix Held Close" as those are the ones that have appeared in the sound tests, if it matters at all, Smash Bros. used the former.

聖霊の扉: We have "Door of Spirits" and "Doorway of Spirits." SotN instead went with "Door of Holy Spirits" and DXC weirdly went with "Fairy's Doorway." However, unless I'm mistaken, isn't it referring to the Holy Spirit," (as in the Holy Ghost) rather than a regular spirit(s?)

しもべたちの祭典: We have "Festival of Servants" and "The Horde's Festival," the former being from SotN and the latter from DXC. I'm partial towards the former.

神々たちのレクイエム: We've got "Requiem for the Gods," "Requiem of the Gods" and "Requiem to the Gods." The first one was used in SotN and GoS, the second was used in DXC and the LoI sampler CD, but I don't believe that last one was ever used officially anywhere. I think I lean more towards "Requiem for the Gods" since it fits well with some of the other similar titles from the series like "Requiem for the Nameless Victims" & "Requiem for the Dark Souls."

水晶のしずく: We have "Crystal Teardrop," "Crystal Teardrops," "Crystal Drop," "Crystal Drops," and weirdly, "Misted Crystal Ball" in DXC. SotN used "Crystal Teardrop" and Grimoire of Souls used "Crystal Drop" which was also the name of one of the stages in that game as well. Crystal Teardrop has a better ring to it, but I think that Crystal Drop would be the most faithful translation.

パール舞踏曲: We have "Dance of Pearls," "Waltz of Pearls" & "Pearl Dance Music." Considering that the original title uses "舞踏曲" rather than "舞曲" (like "Dance of Gold") I guess it would make more sense to use waltz rather than dance here.

さまよえる魂: We have "Wandering Ghosts" and "Wandering Souls," unless I'm mistaken the latter is the more faithful translation.

深淵への扉: We have "Door to the Abyss," "Doorway of the Abyss" & "Gates of Hell." The first one is used in SotN while the last one is used in DXC, I can see what they were going for with the DXC translation, but "深淵" would be "abyss" not "hell," although "Gates of the Abyss" would still be a valid translation.

天界への扉: We have "Heavenly Doorway," "Doorway to Heaven" & "Gates of Heaven." The first one is used in SotN while the last one is used in DXC, the second was featured in Grimoire of Souls.

Furthermore, these were some general translations that I wanted to bring up and discuss.
Spoiler:

場内潜入: Instead of "Sneaking into the Castle," I was thinking either "Castle Infiltration" or "Infiltrating the Castle." I feel that this is more fitting as Simon doesn't really "sneak" into the castle considering that he just nonchalantly walks right through the front door.

: I was curious if there were any other potentially more appropriate translations that could be used here or not. I suppose it is a "Cellar" on the basis that it's below the main area of the castle, but it's more like a dungeon than a standard cellar or basement.

お城でゴーゴー: The current translation, "Go Go at the Great Castle" appears to be taken from the Kid Dracula vinyl release. However, it doesn't look like there's a "great" in the original text. I think that "ゴーゴー" is referring to "Go-Go" as in the music/dance genre. Thus, it should probably be "Go-Go at the Castle" unless it's actually meant to be read like "Go! Go!"

お水でチャチャチャ: Like the above, the current translation, "Cha-Cha-Cha in the Great Waters" is taken from the vinyl release, but yet again there doesn't appear to be a "great" in the original text so it should probably just be "Cha-Cha-Cha in the Water."

ティファニーでドロン: This one I'm not sure about, the vinyl translated it as "Disappearing at Tiffany’s," but is that actually accurate? I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly "でドロン" is supposed to mean, but DeepL gives me "droning" which might either be referring to someone talking ad nauseam or perhaps a repetitive humming sound.

闇の時計塔: Instead of "Clock Tower of Darkness" I was thinking "Dark Clock Tower," kind of like how "呪縛の時計塔" was translated as "Cursed Clock Tower" in Dawn of Sorrow.

城最上階: I think that "Castle Top Floor" would sound more natural than "Highest Castle Floor."

地下水脈: I think that "Underground Waterway" would be better than "Underground Watercourse."

沈黙の牢獄: I think "Silent Prison" would sound better than "Dungeon of Silence," but that could be a bit confusing considering that PoR also has a track titled, "Silent Prison" ("寡黙の牢舎.") There is a subtle difference between "沈黙" and "寡黙" though, the former would simply be silence while the later would be more like "reticence," someone who can talk, but rarely does so.

漆黒の扉: Couldn't "漆黒" also be read as just "black" or "dark?" I feel like Black or Dark Door sounds more natural than "Pitch-Black Door." For example, AoS translated "漆黒の太陽" as just "Black Sun" and while not an official translation, Legends original subtitle, "漆黒たる前奏曲" is often translated as "Dark Night Prelude."

悪魔たちに送るララバイ: I think that "A Lullaby for the Devils" would probably sound more natural than "A Lullaby Sent to the Devils" unless there's something from the original reading that I'm missing. Also, wouldn't saying "demons" make more sense than devils here? Granted, "Lullaby of the Demons" doesn't sound as good as "Lullaby of the Devils."

焉道: SotN and DXC both used "Abandoned Pit," Grimoire of Souls used "Departed Way" and the LoI Sampler used "Path of the Departed." "Departed Way" would be the most direct translation, but I think "Path of the Departed" sounds more natural.

失われた彩画: We have both "Lost Painting" and "The Lost Portrait."

地下水路—"深緑の罠": "深緑の罠" could also be translated as "Deep Green Trap" which I think sounds a bit more poetic and it works on two levels since the "green trap" in question is green water.

地下室のメロディー~時計台の恐怖: The common translation for this one is "Basement Melody." The LoI Sampler used "Melody of Basement" and DoS used "Underground Melodies" (but as mentioned before the track in DoS is actually Clock Tower Fear.) Considering that the area looks to be more like a catacomb than a basement, I think that "underground" would be the better choice of word here. I also think that Melody would make more sense than Melodies here as the BGM is rather monotonous, at least compared to much of the rest of the game's stage music. I can understand why DoS would label it as plural though as Clock Tower Fear is a lot more lively and dynamic. Regardless, I think either Underground Melody or Underground Melodies would be more fitting than Basement Melody.

As for Clock Tower Fear, the only official translation we have is from the LoI Sampler which used the somewhat clunky "Fear of Clock Tower." Would "Clock Tower Fear" actually be grammatically correct though? I think something like "Clock Tower Terror" might be more proper, however there is another Castlevania track called "Cross Fear" (somethings "Cross a Fear") so I suppose Clock Tower Fear is probably still fine.

宿命の十字架: Instead of "Cross of Fate" the LoI Sampler used "Destined Cruz." This title is a bit of a pun as Cruz means "cross" and it's also the surname of Soma. Furthermore this track is a remix of "Ruined Castle Corridor" which is also Soma's theme. However, I'm not sure whether this translation should be used or not, since although it was an official translation it isn't applicable to the original version of the game as Soma's surname is "Kurusu" in the Japanese release.

青い墓標: Can "青い" actually be read as "pale?" From what I could find it seems to more commonly be read as "blue." However, in context "pale" would make more sense since the grave in question isn't blue. In regards to "墓標" would it specifically be "Grave Marker?" I feel like "Grave" or "Gravestone" would be the more natural sounding word choice.

誓いとその影: We have both "Oath and the Shadow" and "Oath and Shadow." However, wouldn't it be more like "The/A/An Oath and its Shadow?" The title appears to be referring more to Carrie's bad ending that Reinhardt's with the "oath" being her getting pressured by Malus to promise that she'll marry him when they're older with the "shadow" likely being the true nature of either Malus and/or his request as her consent creates a "binding contract" as he forebodingly puts it.

Misc. Questions

Iron Blue Intention: Some of the soundtracks have the track listed as Iron-Blue Intention with a hyphen and I was wondering which would actually be the more "proper" way to write it.

Wood Carving Partita: Since "Wood Carving" is being used as an adjective for a noun in this title, shouldn't it be written as "Woodcarving" or "Wood-carving?"

マリー・サンバ: I was curious if "マリー" could also be read as "Maria" or not as "Mary Samba" always seemed like a random title to me. I suppose it could be in reference to the Virgin Mary, but that still wouldn't have anything to do with the scene where it's used.

Bizarre Room (Undead Parasite Theme): Shouldn't it be "Undead Parasite's Theme?" Unless the lack of an apostrophe is due to the Undead Parasite not really being a character or something.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 05:57 PM

I think it's best to stick to official translations in any case. That is, actual Konami translations, not the ones they copied from VGMdb for their 2019 digital releases. That's not to say the official translations for Castlevania aren't inconsistent and pretty horrible all around. But if you look at track titles such as "Divine Bloodlines", they've stuck over the years no matter their accuracy.

I can't answer to all of these, so I'll focus on the one that really bugs me: "Cross Your Heart" is complete gibberish and only ever appeared on a badly translated 2007 iTunes release in an official capacity before it somehow crept into Smash Bros. (it's not even in the Dracula X Chronicles sound test). I think I'd give precedence to in-game sound test titles from the Castlevania series which would mean "Crucifix Held Close" is the "most official" translation (as per the Portrait of Ruin Sound Mode). KDE-CVDXC-OST's "Cross on the Breast" is also accurate. What the Japanese title is trying to convey here is "With the Cross Held to his Chest" (think courageous vampire hunter). "Cross Your Heart" instead makes me think of the sign of the cross, Reinhardt Schneider style, but it's not what's meant here.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 06:47 PM

I'll disagree about 十字架を胸に; I think "Cross Your Heart" is exactly what it's meant to convey. It's usually expressed as 胸に十字を切る but 十字架を切る also works. It could be the more literal meaning like you say, but I never considered it as such. And the later Smash Bros. games have much higher standards for their translations than the garbage that Castlevania translators spat out in the PS/GBA/DS era, which is why they also correctly rendered 黄昏の聖痕 as "Twilight Stigmata" instead of the nonsense "An Empty Tome" (??? seriously, where tf did Konami's translators come up with that)
Old Dec 24, 2022, 06:11 AM

Alright, so it sounds like we can agree that the official translations should take precedence, at least in the cases of Aria of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia, Curse of Darkness & Dracula X Chronicles. Barring the aforementioned inaccuracies of course (Heart of Fire, Clock Tower Fear.) I assume that there's no objections to going with "Ruined Castle Corridor" over just "Castle Corridor" as it was also used officially in other games and is more faithful to the original text. In regards to Rondo of Blood and Dracula X Chronicles should we go with "Den" or "The Nest?" The later was featured in DXC's sound test whereas "Den" was featured in the Advance Collection's sound test (not sure if DX's titles were copied from VGMDB or not.) There's also the matter of whether to use "Wild Dance in Phantasmic Hell" or "Dancing in Phantasmic Hell" as unlike the other DXC translations, "Dark Desires" does not reflect the original text at all and I honestly think that they may have just used that instead of a proper translation due to character limitations in the sound player. Grimoire of Souls used "Dancing in Phantasmic Hell," however it looks like GoS may have copied some of its track translations from VGMDB as well so that one might not exactly be an "official" translation.

There's a few tracks in Harmony of Dissonance where using the sound test titles might not really work. Those being "Entrance" (宿命を継ぐ者,) "Marble Corridor" (攻防) "Shrine of the Apostates" (慟哭参道,) "Chapel of Dissonance" (礼拝堂の空) and "Castle." (悪魔城の中心へ.) Barring "慟哭参道," none of these titles directly correlate to the titles used for an in-game areas like the other stage tracks do.
  • "礼拝堂の空" plays in the "Sky Walkway" (Corridor in the Air) and the "Chapel of Dissonance" (Chapel of a Heretic) The original text would be "Chapel Sky" or "Sky Chapel/Chapel in the Sky" if you were to go with something more grammatically correct.
  • "慟哭参道" is "The Approach of Deplore" in the Japanese version and "The Wailing Way" in the English release which sounds far better, imo. However the sound test instead labels it as "Shrine of the Apostates" (Heretic's Grave) which shares the same theme. I can sort of understand the logic of this decision though as The Wailing Way is essentially just a connecting area (it doesn't even feature a boss) while the Shrine of the Apostates is more of a proper location.
  • "悪魔城の中心へ" is used for two areas in the game, the "Castle Treasury" and the "Castle Top Floor," the sound test simply labels it as "Castle," but a vague title like that doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you consider that every area in the game is within the castle.

Lament of Innocence has a few odd sound test titles. The sound test titles which aren't currently featured on its albulm page are "Prelude to the Black Abyss" (黒き深淵への序章,) "Old Man's Cottage" (リナルドの小屋,) "Statue Born of Darkness" (闇に魅せられし彫像,) "Aria of Nightmare" (夢魔のアリア,) "Snakeheaded Medusa" (蛇頭メディウサ,) "Misty Moon Pagoda of the Demonic Realm" (魔天朧月宮) & "Admiration of a Clan" (ある一族への憧憬)
  • 黒き深淵への序章: The in-game area is called "Prelude to the Dark Abyss."
  • リナルドの小屋: I'm not sure why they decided to go with "Old Man" when the text clearly says "Rinaldo," he introduces himself right at the start of the game too so it isn't like his name is meant to be a secret or something. However, the use of "Cottage" over "Cabin" (like what is currently being used on the albulm page) actually makes more sense since it's referred to as a cottage in both the game and manual.
  • 闇に魅せられし彫像: This one is probably okay, while the original text would be "enchanted" (as in animated by dark magic,) I can understand what they were going for as the statue was given life (born) via dark magic.
  • 夢魔のアリア: "Aria of Nightmare" sounds a lot less natural than "Nightmare Aria."
  • 蛇頭メディウサ: This one might be fine too, but unless I'm mistaken wouldn't "Snakeheaded" sort of imply that Medusa just has a snake-like head rather than being a giant snake-like head without an actual body? "Snake Head/Snakehead Medusa" might make more sense in context here, but I could be mistaken.
  • 魔天朧月宮: The in-game area is called "Pagoda of the Misty Moon"
  • ある一族への憧憬: This one is probably okay as it is, but since the title is clearly referring to the Belmont Clan, "Admiration of the Clan" might makes more sense as it's referring to a specific clan. Currently we have "Admiration Towards the Clan" on the albulm page.

Anyway, any thoughts or opinions on these or the other titles that I brought up in my previous post would be much appreciated. Unless there are any objections I might go ahead and start updating some of the titles on the boxes with the ones featured in the sound tests sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
the later Smash Bros. games have much higher standards for their translations than the garbage that Castlevania translators spat out in the PS/GBA/DS era, which is why they also correctly rendered 黄昏の聖痕 as "Twilight Stigmata" instead of the nonsense "An Empty Tome" (??? seriously, where tf did Konami's translators come up with that)
"An Empty Tome" was also featured on Judgement's soundtrack so while it's not an actual translation of the original text this would seem to indicate that it's still considered an official one nonetheless. Also, I assume that the "Empty Tome" in question is meant to be none other than Shanoa herself as the loss of her memories and emotions make her a blank slate, i.e. an empty tome. That or it could be in reference to her ability absorb glyphs from fallen foes into herself, like recording words into a book. The latter seems likely as the original title, "Twilight Stigmata" was probably referring to the glyphs on her body.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Dec 30, 2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
I'll disagree about 十字架を胸に; I think "Cross Your Heart" is exactly what it's meant to convey. It's usually expressed as 胸に十字を切る but 十字架を切る also works. It could be the more literal meaning like you say, but I never considered it as such. And the later Smash Bros. games have much higher standards for their translations than the garbage that Castlevania translators spat out in the PS/GBA/DS era, which is why they also correctly rendered 黄昏の聖痕 as "Twilight Stigmata" instead of the nonsense "An Empty Tome" (??? seriously, where tf did Konami's translators come up with that)
Where did you learn that phrase? I was not familiar with 十字を切る before but you're right, that's most definitely the expression for crossing yourself in Japanese as per the dictionaries. I could also find 十字架を切る as a somewhat more rare expression for the same action online.

What's bugging me is the 胸に part as 十字架を胸に切る sounds quite painful to me... Weblio has the more abstract 胸に十字を切る for the English idiom "cross my heart" (where you put your fingers in front of your heart to show you're telling the truth) and I also found it out in the wild online.

I can think of several verbs that would work with the "cross held to his chest" meaning instead, such as 置く, 当てる, 押す (or the fitting but rather more profane 持つ which could explain why they left it out of the title). But as you said, this is more a question of either being imaginable or not.

Now, for Smash Bros., their translators may be more accurate than Konami's (oftentimes contracted) translators from twenty years ago. But they still adopted embarassing typos such as "Starker" even though it's been corrected to "Stalker" on many albums. The more likely scenario here I think is that they adopted the "Cross Your Heart" translation because it seemed to be the most well-known.

Come to think of it, we don't even make the sign of the cross exclusively in front of our heart/chest, at least not with the adults' and kids' versions I learned in the Catholic church. But to tell if the Japanese would see a difference in meaning between the action and the phrase with 胸に, that's a kind of language proficiency that's bordering a near-native level and I wouldn't claim to have yet even after years of study.

I'll try to hit the books on 十字架を胸に切る and ask a native what they think. Might take a while, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingAbyss View Post
I assume that there's no objections to going with "Ruined Castle Corridor" over just "Castle Corridor" as it was also used officially in other games and is more faithful to the original text. In regards to Rondo of Blood and Dracula X Chronicles should we go with "Den" or "The Nest?" The later was featured in DXC's sound test whereas "Den" was featured in the Advance Collection's sound test (not sure if DX's titles were copied from VGMDB or not.) There's also the matter of whether to use "Wild Dance in Phantasmic Hell" or "Dancing in Phantasmic Hell" as unlike the other DXC translations, "Dark Desires" does not reflect the original text at all and I honestly think that they may have just used that instead of a proper translation due to character limitations in the sound player. Grimoire of Souls used "Dancing in Phantasmic Hell," however it looks like GoS may have copied some of its track translations from VGMDB as well so that one might not exactly be an "official" translation.
I feel it would be best to stick to the games' sound tests rather than using some select titles from other sources, at least when a complete sound test exists. Picking and choosing would be more confusing to readers, I'd wager. Especially if the sources are not documented on the respective album pages or their discussion threads. But it's still a good idea to unify them so they're the same on all pages. For the tracks you mentioned here, I'd stick to just the Dracula X Chronicles sound test even though the translations are only about halfway there most of the time. I guess that would make it "Divine Bloodlines", "Dark Desires", "The Nest" etc.
Old May 23, 2023, 10:58 PM

I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up before, but I believe that the title BGM from Haunted Castle (1.33) may have been based on this track from the 1970 film, Count Dracula. Said track plays a couple times throughout the film, however it doesn't appear to actually be featured on the film's soundtrack.