VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 21, 2009, 02:28 AM
LuxKiller65's Avatar
LuxKiller65 LuxKiller65 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 819

No first-print slipcase for this second volume?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 22, 2009, 06:46 AM
seanne's Avatar
seanne seanne is offline
VGMdb Staff
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,291
Default

As far as I know there wasn't one, no. Of course that's really only based on never seeing a copy with a slipcase for sale, but still I'm pretty sure there wasn't one.
__________________
VGMdb group on last.fm

Last edited by seanne; May 22, 2009 at 06:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 22, 2009, 07:07 AM
PsychoZeke's Avatar
PsychoZeke PsychoZeke is offline
Trusted Editor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sector 2814
Posts: 459
Default

I bought mine off eBay a couple of years ago, mint+ condition, pristine content, but definitely no slipcase.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:24 PM
Jodo Kast Jodo Kast is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 325
Default

I have new information about the track list. Track 9 is SLASH FIGHTER from Lifeforce. I have no idea where "Kidney Stage" came from.

Also, tracks 1 and 4 are from Gradius III, while track 8 is from Gradius II: Gofer's Ambition.

Should I update the track list or simply leave the incorrect "Kidney Stage"?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:32 PM
Metroid's Avatar
Metroid Metroid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 231
Default

Track 9 is translated to English, it could be viscera stage or kidney stage. The back cover has more info. The album notes info could be updated with your info as track origins.

Last edited by Metroid; Nov 16, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:53 PM
Jodo Kast Jodo Kast is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
Track 9 is translated to English, it could be viscera stage or kidney stage. The back cover has more info. The album notes info could be updated with your info as track origins.
I just added the info to the album details. I decided to leave the tracklist alone. If you have the Salamander (Lifeforce) soundtrack, I recommend doing a comparison. Of course, Konami has been known to make mistakes, most notably, mixing up Slash with Op.13 on Dracula Battle. And they screwed up on the Snatcher Battle tracklist. Oh well, at least the music is perfect.

Oh, and I scanned that back cover, sir.

Last edited by Jodo Kast; Nov 16, 2009 at 11:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:24 AM
seanne's Avatar
seanne seanne is offline
VGMdb Staff
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
I have new information about the track list. Track 9 is SLASH FIGHTER from Lifeforce. I have no idea where "Kidney Stage" came from.
Kidney Stage is a translation of the original tracktitle, as previously mentioned. Though while 腎臓 literally means 'kidney', the stage in the game takes place in what looks like various parts of the human body (yuck).

Quote:
track 8 is from Gradius II: Gofer's Ambition.
The booklet states that the track is from the MSX exclusive 'Gofer no Yabou Episode II', also released in Europe as 'Nemesis 3: The Eve of Destruction'. The track is also included on From MSX Gofer no Yabou Episode 2.
__________________
VGMdb group on last.fm

Last edited by seanne; Nov 17, 2009 at 01:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Nov 17, 2009, 01:28 AM
Metroid's Avatar
Metroid Metroid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
Oh, and I scanned that back cover, sir.
You should have been credited for that unless you don't bother about it.

Could you scan some high resolution images? It would be great.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:52 AM
Jodo Kast Jodo Kast is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
Kidney Stage is a translation of the original tracktitle, as previously mentioned. Though while 腎臓 literally means 'kidney', the stage in the game takes place in what looks like various parts of the human body (yuck).
What I meant was, where did "Kidney Stage" come from? I understand that it's the translation. But that's not what it is called on the soundtrack. Why did Konami suddenly decide to change "Slash Fighter" to "Kidney Stage"? I don't expect you to have the answer, I'm just curious and I'm surprised that no one else has caught this strange substitution.

I played Salamander all the time as a youngster, so I remember that stage. Calling it "Kidney Stage" is rather appropriate, but it does not explain the inconsistency. Why did Konami not change the other track names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
The booklet states that the track is from the MSX exclusive 'Gofer no Yabou Episode II', also released in Europe as 'Nemesis 3: The Eve of Destruction'. The track is also included on From MSX Gofer no Yabou Episode 2.
I didn't know the European equivalent title. I've always called the Japanese release Gradius II: Gofer's Ambition.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:03 AM
Jodo Kast Jodo Kast is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
You should have been credited for that unless you don't bother about it.

Could you scan some high resolution images? It would be great.
Sorry, I wish I could. And I certainly would. I sold the CD several years ago and I made all those scans more than 7 years ago, back when smaller scans looked quite alright. I was using a much smaller monitor at the time and much lower resolution. (Secret Squirrel got a copy of the disc with 2,000 or so scans.)

Actually, I've posted here because of the inconsistency in the track list. Little things like that bother me. As an example, as far as I know, no one in the vgm community pointed out the inconsistency on Dracula Battle prior to my discovery. That is, the replacement of Slash with Op.13. Do people actually listen to this music or just put the CDs on shelves?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:05 AM
Gigablah's Avatar
Gigablah Gigablah is offline
VGMdb Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,403
Default

What Jodo is saying, is that the BGM for the "Kidney Stage" is actually titled "Slash Fighter" but they decided to call it by the stage name on this tracklist.

Considering the amount of CDs we've run into with inconsistencies or mistakes in the printed tracklist, perhaps I should actually make it a flag in the database.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:55 AM
Metroid's Avatar
Metroid Metroid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
Sorry, I wish I could. And I certainly would. I sold the CD several years ago and I made all those scans more than 7 years ago, back when smaller scans looked quite alright. I was using a much smaller monitor at the time and much lower resolution. (Secret Squirrel got a copy of the disc with 2,000 or so scans.)
Thanks for the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
Actually, I've posted here because of the inconsistency in the track list. Little things like that bother me. As an example, as far as I know, no one in the vgm community pointed out the inconsistency on Dracula Battle prior to my discovery. That is, the replacement of Slash with Op.13. Do people actually listen to this music or just put the CDs on shelves?
I do listen to VGM at least 10 hours per day. I'm sure most people here do it as well. The problem is we do listen to VGM but we do or did not have time to actually play the game, even though we listen to CD's we don't know where the music came from certain games i.e origin, stage and or so on, most of us relies on the back cover.

It is a good thing for the gaming music community to have players like you, I and many others who exactly know the music origin of some games because nowadays time is precious and most of us play only selected games.

It is also good for the VGM community to have people like us to help if any kind of error comes to happen. There may be many more inconsistencies here at VGMdb, hard and at the same time challenging to spot or find one of them.

As a reference I will give you this thread http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=433 . I actually had to listen and know exactly the origins of both tracks to spot the error on the back cover. That is just an example of many.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:59 AM
seanne's Avatar
seanne seanne is offline
VGMdb Staff
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo Kast View Post
I played Salamander all the time as a youngster, so I remember that stage. Calling it "Kidney Stage" is rather appropriate, but it does not explain the inconsistency. Why did Konami not change the other track names?
I agree it's a rather strange that only this track was given an, as far as I know, new Japanese title. There were some Salamander cds released back in the 80s, predating the 'Again' and 'Arcade Soundtrack' albums - possibly the title is mentioned there in some way, I don't know. Either way though, it's still the title they choose to go with here so we should go with it.

Quote:
I didn't know the European equivalent title. I've always called the Japanese release Gradius II: Gofer's Ambition.
Just to clarify, since indeed it's confusing, Gofer no Yabou Episode II is not the same game as Gradius II: Gofer's Ambition. As while Gradius II was a sequel (if you can call it that) to the first game released exclusively in Japan and Europe (called 'Vulcan Venture' over here), Gofer no Yabou Episode II is really a spin-off of the 'Nemesis' spin-off series (hence it's European title) and was released exclusively for the MSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
What Jodo is saying, is that the BGM for the "Kidney Stage" is actually titled "Slash Fighter" but they decided to call it by the stage name on this tracklist.
I'm not sure if it's an official stage name, as of course being an old-school game there are no stage names present in the game. Unless it's mentioned in written form somewhere (game booklet, etc), they might just have come up with it when they made this CD.

Quote:
Considering the amount of CDs we've run into with inconsistencies or mistakes in the printed tracklist, perhaps I should actually make it a flag in the database.
While this case is a little weird it's not too uncommon for arrange versions to have a different title than the original sound version. Wouldn't issues like this solve themselves once we have "track-specific linking"? (if we're still going with a system like that). One could just link together every individual release/variation of a given piece of music then.
__________________
VGMdb group on last.fm

Last edited by seanne; Nov 17, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:07 PM
Metroid's Avatar
Metroid Metroid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 231
Default

seanne you are totally right. I would not call this an inconsistency at all. It is just a name they gave to the arrangement track of the "Slash Fighter" stage as jodo said.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KICA-1145: PERFECT SELECTION DRACULA BATTLE Kewing Album Discussions 18 Nov 29, 2019 05:50 PM
KICA-1189: PERFECT SELECTION KONAMI BATTLE the BEST Lucy Album Discussions 12 Oct 24, 2019 07:22 AM
KICA-1136: PERFECT SELECTION KONAMI SHOOTING BATTLE LuxKiller65 Album Discussions 10 May 18, 2019 08:17 PM
KICA-1162: PERFECT SELECTION DRACULA BATTLE II Carl Album Discussions 8 May 12, 2019 04:40 PM
Konami Perfect Selection Dracula New Classic on eBay RIGHT NOW! Ghaleon64 Video Game Music Discussion 83 Jun 1, 2011 09:30 AM