VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:27 AM

Yes, Yoko Shimomura's Midiplex official site confirms she was a guest contributor on MM5, along with quite a few other things she wasn't directly credited for.
Old May 3, 2010, 03:36 PM

Good job getting the correct breakdown for composers for the Rockman and Rockman 2 games.

Now, if it is possible... we can have the very same for Rockman 4?
I have the feeling that "Ojalin" did all of it, or almost all, but I prefer a confirmation from a official source.
Old May 8, 2010, 11:49 AM

So really though, there are no composer credits AT ALL in the booklet anywhere? Not even a vague "THESE FIVE PEOPLE: THIS ONE GAME" kind of thing like Capcom usually does? I can't spot anyone's name in English or Japanese anywhere in this booklet. Quite strange. Maybe it's on one of those huge-wall-of-text pages that I just don't want to read through? I know that we can get credits from game staff rolls, but it's just a bit disappointing if they weren't credited for their work in this release too.
Old May 8, 2010, 05:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I've skimmed through the liner notes and it's mostly general info about the discs, but the last page has comments credited to Manami Matsumae with her thoughts about Rockman 1 (she was given less than three months).

I guess the people in charge of making these sets couldn't be bothered to find out who-did-what asking around, much less beating the actual games.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:39 AM

Or even looking up videos that roll the credits on them, as many of us have probably done (I haven't dusted off my games in a long time).

Well, what a shame. But anyway Yuko Takehara will always have a very special place in my heart. Plant Man is a track that just rules so much. And Yamato Man. And...
Old May 10, 2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina View Post
Well, what a shame. But anyway Yuko Takehara will always have a very special place in my heart. Plant Man is a track that just rules so much. And Yamato Man. And...
OMG! I LOVE Plant Man as well! Just an awesome track. I also like her work on Breath of Fire II (have both versions of the soundtrack, the original one-disc release and the amended version in the box) which is pretty underappreciated. Got to ask, do you like the Complete Works version of Plant Man from the PS1 as well? It's pretty good as well.
Old May 10, 2010, 02:39 PM

I actually don't care for the Complete Works arranges that much. And yes, not to go off topic but I generally like the soundtrack to Breath of Fire II the most of any Breath of Fire soundtrack (although Dragon Quarter is also excellent). I wish she still blessed us with her talents... I would love to know what tracks she did for Mega Man X also (since she's just generally credited for it along with others).
Old May 10, 2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina View Post
I actually don't care for the Complete Works arranges that much.
I propably gave the wrong impression but I'm not to big on them either, but certain tracks work and appeal to me more than others in those versions.
Old May 25, 2010, 08:17 AM

Stage Clear for 5 and 6 is actually the same as 4, so "Minae Fujii, Yasuaki Fujita" should be the proper credit for those 2.

Rockman 2's Dr. Wily UFO SE is different from Rockman 1's, which is done by Yoshihiro Sakaguchi, therefore it must be Manami's because the old one could have just been reused, but it wasn't.

Clear Demo and Last Stage for Rockman 2 are both SFX (Manami Matsumae, Yoshihiro Sakaguchi), but more likely Manami than Yoshihiro, but unconfirmed.

As for the recent revelations, I now believe 100% that Minae did all the BGM for 4 while Yasuaki was SE only.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; May 25, 2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
Rockman 2's Dr. Wily UFO SE is different from Rockman 1's, which is done by Yoshihiro Sakaguchi, therefore it must be Manami's because the old one could have just been reused, but it wasn't.
Then technically it would be an arrangement, right?
Old May 25, 2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
Then technically it would be an arrangement, right?
Here's 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXlfUHdVRAw

Here's 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4eNUjQpUP4

Hmm, guess it is, just as Takashi took Manami's Game Start.

Here's Clear Demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP9G3T59AIM

Here's Last Stage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni0wxC8tGo0

Here's the SE of Rockman 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6jvb...eature=related
(0:03-0:05 is interesting because two pause sounds are included, the first is new in 2, and the second comes from 1. A good number of the other SEs are also better-pitched recreations of 1's SE [including Wily's UFO], so it's hard to tell if Yoshihiro recomposed them or Manami arranged them. At the very least, my earlier point proves that least one of Yoshihiro's old SEs made into 2 if his name in 2's credits is there for that reason. If not, then I believe he is solely there because he created the original versions of 2's SEs in 1 and is being given proper credit for them.)

...That, or he simply managed to create at least one new SE for Rockman 2; whether or not it's based on his old work is not an issue.

Lastly, here are the SEs of Rockman 1 to compare and contrast with 2's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zty-OwP3cb0 (starting at 1:48)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jun 5, 2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 03:23 PM

Yoko Shimomura's contribution to Mega Man 5 is disc 3, track 20, Dr. Wily Stage. I don't have a single source or a shred of evidence; but I "know" that track is her. At the very least, it's not Mari Yamaguchi's.

Btw, according to SEMO's recent interview, Sakaguchi didn't do sound effects for the first two games, so I removed him from the notes.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:06 AM

So if Sakaguchi did no sound effects in 1 & 2, and Matsumae and Tateishi did their own sound effects in their respective games, then for what is Matsumae credited for 2? Old SE? I'd think the Airman bit would have been left out of the credits, even if it didn't get past Sakaguchi, since the same thing happened when Tateishi returned the favor in Area 88 (for Stage 3 [Forest]) and his name went uncredited.

If it is for SE, then Yasuaki Fujita (for Mega Man 4) can only be credited for two reasons, either as (1) a sound programmer, or (2) sound effects. I'd say it's the latter because they are both credited as "Sound Composer" in the game credits.

Furthermore, a "Programmer" section is Present in Mega Man 4's credits that is not present in the subsequent games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66saBEEI78#t=2m21s - Mega Man 4 Credits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JI1S-FuKsU#t=6m47s - Mega Man 5 Credits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCwH8I4FXBI#t=6m11s - Mega Man 6 Credits

*I'm guessing that "Special Designer" in Mega Man 4 is the same thing as "Adviser" in Mega Man 5, since they have the same position. The only other big difference is the big miscellanious section that comes first [without a heading], which may or may not be Special Thanks, but the credit headings and order beyond that remain largely unchanged.

*For Mega Man 6, there is a different structure than Mega Man 4 and 5. The miscellanious section is listed first [and without a heading], just like it was in 5, then "Planner" [as usual], then "Helper," then "Object Designer" and "Scroll Designer" [as usual], then "Programmer" [back from 4?], then "Sound Composer" [as opposed to before the Programmer in 4], then "Advisor [not the same as "Helper"; now below Sound Composer instead of above like it was in 5], then "Super Test Player" and finally "Special Thanks"

Mega Man 3's credits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eaGNHWQEUU#t=2m22s) list "Programmer" after "Sound Compose," much like it does later in 4, but "Planner" (and "Sub Planning") are now near the bottom as opposed to the top in the later 3 games. Special Thanks are still last, like in 4 and 6. "Character Designer"[listed first before "Sound Compose"] appears to be the same as "Object Designer" and possibly "Scroll Designer." Otherwise, "Scroll Designer" would be under "Programmer."
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:16 PM

OMG, I just sealed the deal with Mega Man 4.

Observe:
http://www.hcn.zaq.ne.jp/first_circl...n_shoukai.html - Yasuaki Fujita's list of works from his web site.

Under the Famicom (FC) section, he only lists four games:

-ロックマン3 (Rockman 3/Mega Man 3)
-天地を食らう2 (Tenchi wo Kurau 2) / 天地を喰らう2~諸葛孔明伝~ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WSi4q1qrn8#t=3m27s) --> I can't tell who the three people at 3:42 are, however
-リトルマーメイド (The Little Mermaid)
-ダークウィングダック (Darkwing Duck)

Because Fujita didn't list it among other games where he definitely composed music (i.e. Rockman 3), I can now safely conclude that Minae Fujii composed all of 4's music as well as the new sound effects (i.e. "Menu choice cancel" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TjIEl6IrEA at 0:03])

Yasuaki Fujita, therefore, must only be there for carried-over sound effects, much like Manami Matsumae's sound effects from 1 were originally intended to be used in 2, thus the credit remained. This is supported by the fact that 移植作業 (porting) roles found under the JAVA, PS, PS2, SS, D-CAST sections are also included, as well as パルスター (Pulstar) in the NEOGEO section: a game where he is only credited for Sound Effects and Sound Programming, suggesting that all of his roles are present here.
http://vgmdb.net/album/3303

Whatever reason he was listed in Mega Man 4's credits, it certainly wasn't an active role.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 17, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:42 AM

kyu, thank you for this. I will be scouring these soundtracks to help with Breath of Fire credits. One question though... are we certain Yasuaki and Harumi are two different people? It's especially irritating that on Yasuaki Fujita's list he says he worked on games that were also evidently worked on by this person: http://vgmdb.net/artist/1455

This soundtrack seems to suggest that they are indeed two different people... I guess?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:07 AM

@Jormungand
I thought Pulstar would've answered that question. Here's the in-game credits for the sequel, Blazing Star. In both games, Yasuaki handles sound effects and sound programming while Harumi handles music composition and arrangement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZPU1EMUvsA#t=2m23s

...So just so we're clear, you're OK with my conclusion that Minae Fujii did all the sound-related work in Mega Man 4, right?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
@Jormungand
In both games, Yasuaki handles sound effects and sound programming while Harumi handles music composition and arrangement.
This seems to be the case with a number of SFC soundtracks I just checked. snesmusic credits only Harumi for the composition in some of them; but if the same games were listed in Yasuaki's works, that means he must have done the programming. The two seem to have collaborated on a number of titles, so I would have to think it's a husband/wife team. Or was, anyway.

Quote:
...So just so we're clear, you're OK with my conclusion that Minae Fujii did all the sound-related work in Mega Man 4, right?
I certainly am. Not sure about everyone else... but I don't see any other logical conclusion here.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:59 AM

it'd be pretty funny if it turns out that the first six mega man games had one unique composer each respectively. as for discerning BoF credits based on them... sounds tough different type of game, different sound capabilities, etc. i wouldn't be able to do it. best of luck though.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
it'd be pretty funny if it turns out that the first six mega man games had one unique composer each respectively.
Exactly.

When Another Soundscape and Chris originally respectively confirmed Matsumae for 1 and Tateishi for 2 in terms of music, I knew how it would go down for 4. The SEMO interview made it even more obvious when it was confirmed that the sound effects in both games were also done by the same people as music. If Fujita, Yamaguchi, Takehara, Matsumae, and Tateishi handled all of the music and sound effects in their respective games, then Fujii must have as well.

That official worklist of Fujita's is just the final nail in the coffin.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
as for discerning BoF credits based on them... sounds tough different type of game, different sound capabilities, etc. i wouldn't be able to do it. best of luck though.
Well, I already tried using MM3-5 to help with that; wasn't too successful.

I'm talking about the SNES scores that Fujita may have composed music for--which, regrettably, I only found one from that list where he is the only one credited for music. The rest he either co-composed with Harumi Fujita, or did the sound programming.

However, at this point I am still poised to defend Yamaguchi as having the dominant role in BoF's score; and I am certain she was responsible for most of the orchestral music.

I will admit to coming across a tune in Little Mermaid (NES)--one of the games Yasuaki Fujita lists on his site--that reminds me a lot of Song and Dance from BoF... until today I had previously attributed that track to Shimomura.

More questions than answers. :P
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:18 PM

For
Quote:
DISC3 01~26 from Mega Man 5
Composition & SE: Mari Yamaguchi (Mari) (expect 15 [same as Mega Man 4])
Yoko Shimomura (unknown contribution)
(and lol expect) is it supposed to mean that Mari composed all except 15 for a fact?
I guess the unknown contribution part and one track not credited makes it funny, and also makes me wonder if it's confirmed Mari did 1-14, 16-26.

also this may make people think again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
Yoko Shimomura's contribution to Mega Man 5 is disc 3, track 20, Dr. Wily Stage. I don't have a single source or a shred of evidence; but I "know" that track is her. At the very least, it's not Mari Yamaguchi's.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary09 View Post
For

(and lol expect) is it supposed to mean that Mari composed all except 15 for a fact?
Well, yes. Stage Clear from Mega Man 4 is reused in 5 and 6 unchanged, therefore Minae Fujii is credited for those tracks, and the rest are certainly Mari's. The only exception would be if Shimomura's contribution involved a track of the game's music, be it a small portion or a whole composition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercenary09 View Post
I guess the unknown contribution part and one track not credited makes it funny, and also makes me wonder if it's confirmed Mari did 1-14, 16-26.

also this may make people think again:
I agree with Raizen on Dr. Wily Stage being the supposed Yoko track: it really is the only one that doesn't sound a thing like the others. It has neither the high pitch that Darkman Stage had, nor is it upward-inflecting like most of these themes, particularly the game's "main theme."

Regardless of whatever Yoko did for Mega Man 5, this is definitely the final mystery of the NES Rockman series. The rest is solid truth; I made sure of that.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:38 PM

Harumi Fujita (the Mrs.) via an old twitter message:
Quote:
ロックマン3発売・・・昔、ロックマン3の担当で、何曲か作ったわ!
Interesting.

She's credited under special thanks as "Mrs. Tarumi" in the game.

Last edited by strugglepoo; Feb 11, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:14 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Saw it a while back, strange wording though.
Interesting but please *please* don't spread it blindly in every Rockman album ever, at least for now.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Harumi Fujita has a website now, and on her works list she says "three pieces" for MM3.

Quote:
ファミコン ロックマン3
(3曲。藤田靖明氏と共同)
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:12 AM

Might we ask her which three?

EDIT: and on a whim I visited her husband's blog on which he posted about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAuEsoJU2Zk

...which confirms he is the composer of the opening theme of MM3.

Last edited by Jormungand; Aug 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Nice find, actually Yasuaki Fujita's blog reveals the 3 tracks Harumi Fujita did: Geminiman, Needleman and Staff Roll (part).

(seems Harumi was originally in charge of MM3, but she gave birth and retired so Yasuaki became main, these were the only 3 songs she did.
He also comments seems he's credited in MM4, but was just supervision and doesn't remember composing anything)

He has also some info you'd like about BoF1, I'll check it later

Btw, is there any confirmation they are married? By the surnames you'd think so, but the way he talks about her seems rather distant.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:54 PM
VGMdb Staff

and who composed the others tracks of Megaman 3?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Yasuaki Fujita (Bunbun) as credited in the game... right?

Also, relevant blog post I forgot to link: http://yasuaki-fujita.blogspot.com/2...blog-post.html
Quote:
F田氏が残した曲はジェミニマン、ニードルマン、スタッフロール一部のみ
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
He has also some info you'd like about BoF1, I'll check it later
!!!

I am extremely intrigued!

Quote:
Btw, is there any confirmation they are married? By the surnames you'd think so, but the way he talks about her seems rather distant.
Nope, no confirmation that I know of. They've worked together on a number of projects together throughout their NES and SNES days, so I just assumed. I wonder...?