VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jun 4, 2010, 03:21 PM

Sodom, Dhalsim, and Gouki by Syun Nishigaki, Adon by Setsuo Yamamoto, and Sakura and Gen by Tatsuro Suzuki are all listed in the liner notes of Rockman 2: The Power Fighters OST.

Nash and Rose from Zero1 don't apply here because Yuko Takehara doesn't return in Zero2. The Zero2 versions of those themes reflect that in that the former was made longer than Zero1's version and the latter had one segment (0:30-0:36) almost entirely recomposed. See for yourself.

Nash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtRPfkq29U8 - Zero2 Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npQSe4U17zI - Zero Version

Rose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikGVZSWO-D4 - Zero2 Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPc0fsRsflc - Zero Version

EDIT (08/13): Ken's theme sounds like it was arranged by Tatsuro because it uses that instrument. Anyone who listened to Sakura's theme will recognize it instantly.
EDIT (08/25):
-Opening is mentioned by Tatsuro in the liner notes on Booklet 8, Sagat, Rose, and Staff Roll from Booklet 9 to Booklet 10 [Last Tatsuro on 9 becomes first on 10], and Dan on Booklet 10 [the next time Tatsuro speaks].
-Zangief includes a sax, which is a distinguishing instrument for Setsuo during this time (i.e. Geminiman in PB/PF). Setsuo mentions these instruments on Booklet 8. [Said to have bass, guitar, piano, drum set, and brass/sax, and even a cowbell throughout the liner notes]. Drums are especially noticeable at the very end of Guy's theme. Vega generally sounds like Adon.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417173/fullcredits#cast
EDIT (09/28):
-On Booklet 9, in the second Tatsuro section, he refers to Setsuo about Rolento and "Zangi;" this is merely Zangief shortened by two characters in order to save space, but it is definitely referring to Zangief. Chun-Li and Ryu both share a similar sound as Sodom.
-On Booklet 10, in the first Setsuo section, he mentions Nash.

EDIT (10/04):
-Booklet 7 uses similar words and sentence structure in the descriptions for Stage Gen and Stage Ryu VS Sagat. This tells me that Tatsuro handled the latter.
-On Booklet 9, Setsuo mentions "Sodom and Birdie," but since Sodom is definitely done by Syun, then so must Birdie. Use of Sitar (?) in Birdie's theme validates this.
-Since Tatsuro composed the Opening (i.e. main theme), it only makes since for him to handle all the other miscellaneous tracks that play off it [Player Select, Versus, Here Comes a New Challenger], just as Isao Abe must have done for Zero1.
-Game Over-Ranking Display, Stage End, Continue should still be Syun's.

Unofficial breakdown:
Syun Nishigaki: Chun-Li, Birdie, Sodom, Dhalsim, Game Over-Ranking Display, Stage End, Continue, Ken, Gouki, Cammy
Setsuo Yamamoto: Zangief, Nash, Vega, Rolento, Guy, Adon
Tatsuro Suzuki: Opening, Player Select, Versus, Sakura, Ryu, Gen, Sagat, Rose, Dan, Here Comes a New Challenger, Sagat VS Ryu, Staff Roll 1, Staff Roll 2, Staff Roll 3

Last edited by kyubihanyou; May 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:19 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Is speculation starting to spill onto the album page? I don't know quite see where the credits came from.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:22 PM

In accordance with how the in-game credits for the Capcom arcade games appear (i.e. "Music Arrange" for Rockman: The Power Battle, "Music Compose" for Street Fighter Zero, "Music Compose & Arrange" for Street Fighter Zero2, and "Music" for Rockman 2: The Power Fighters), I have started to show that information accordingly.
NOTE: All four of these games have the same game credit format, indicating a clear difference in credit assignment practices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pycY-PUV9Oo#t=7m05s - SFZ2
Since SFZ2 uses "Music Compose & Arrange," I therefore created both a composition and an arrangement list.

-The Zero 1 character stage and staff roll themes done by Isao Abe (Guy, Sagat), Syun Nishigaki (Sodom, Gouki/Akuma), Setsuo Yamamoto (Adon, Birdie), Yuko Takehara (Nash/Charlie, Rose), Naoaki Iwami (Ryu, Vega/M. Bison), and Naoshi Mizuta (Ken, Chun-Li, Dan, Staff Roll 1, Staff Roll 2) returned in this game arranged by Syun, Setsuo, and Tatsuro, but their composition credit is included in accordance with the "Compose & Arrange" credit.

-The ending themes for everyone, however, are new compositions, and therefore are done by the same person that arranges the character's stage theme.

-The Power Fighters OST liner notes has more readily understandable credit information for this game, as it refers to Dhalsim, Sodom, and Gouki in Syun's box, Adon in Setsuo's box, and Sakura and Gen in Tatsuro's box.

-In this game's OST liner notes, the following are found:
---->"Opening" is mentioned by Tatsuro on Booklet 8 [second time he speaks], "Sagat," "Rose," and "Staff Roll" from Booklet 9 to Booklet 10 [Last Tatsuro on 9 becomes first on 10], and "Dan" on Booklet 10 [the next time Tatsuro speaks]. Therefore Tatsuro was responsible for arranging Sagat, Rose, and Dan's stage themes and composing and arranging their ending themes, composing and arranging the new opening, and composing and arranging the new Staff Roll [Staff Roll 3].
---> On Booklet 9, third Tatsuro section, he mentions Sakura and Gen, so he definitely handled all of their themes.
--->On Booklet 9, third Syun section, he mentions Dhalsim, so he definitely handled all of his themes
--->On Booklet 9, the second Setsuo section mentions "Sodom and Birdie," but since Sodom is definitely done by Syun [in accordance with Power Fighters liner notes], then so must Birdie. Setsuo therefore must of been referring to Syun in that statement, meaning that Syun arranged Birdie and composed and arranged his ending themes. Use of Sitar (?) in Birdie's theme validates this.
--->On Booklet 9, in the second Tatsuro section, he refers to Setsuo about "Rolento" and "Zangi;" this is merely Zangief shortened by two characters in order to save space, but it is definitely referring to Zangief.
--->Setsuo mentions the instruments he uses on Booklet 8 and throughout the liner notes: bass, guitar, piano, drum set, brass/sax, and even a cowbell. Zangief's and Rolento's themes include a sax; therefore Setsuo definitely handled all of Zangief and Rolento's themes. Rolento is also mentioned by Setsuo in his second section on Booklet 9.
--->On Booklet 10, first Setsuo section, he mentions Nash. Therefore he arranged his stage and composed and arranged his ending themes.
---> Gouki and Adon are not mentioned in these notes, but their presence in the Power Fighters' notes confirms that Syun and Setsuo respectively handled all their themes.
--->Stage Sagat VS Ryu is only referred to on Booklet 7, along with the other 5 new stage theme compositions, where their own descriptions are given.

-Opening: Tatsuro Suzuki [Compose & Arrange]
-Stage Sakura: Tatsuro Suzuki [Compose & Arrange]
-Stage Zangief: Setsuo Yamamoto [Compose & Arrange]
-Stage Ryu: Naoaki Iwami [Compose], ????? [Arrange]
-Stage Chun-Li: Naoshi Mizuta [Compose], ????? [Arrange]
-Stage Sodom: Syun Nishigaki [Compose & Arrange]
-Stage Birdie: Setsuo Yamamoto [Compose], Syun Nishigaki [Arrange]
-Stage Nash: Yuko Takehara [Compose], Setsuo Yamamoto [Arrange]
-Stage Dan: Naoshi Mizuta [Compose], Tatsuro Suzuki [Arrange]
-Stage Vega: Naoaki Iwami [Compose], ????? [Arrange]
-Stage Dhalsim: Syun Nishigaki [Compose & Arrange]
-Stage Rolento: Setsuo Yamamoto [Compose & Arrange]
-Stage Gen: Tatsuro Suzuki [Compose & Arrange]
-Stage Ken: Naoshi Mizuta [Compose], ?????? [Arrange]
-Stage Sagat: Isao Abe [Compose], Tatsuro Suzuki [Arrange]
-Stage Guy: Isao Abe [Compose], ??????? [Arrange]
-Stage Adon: Setsuo Yamamoto [Compose & Arrange]
-Stage Rose: Yuko Takehara [Compose], Tatsuro Suzuki [Arrange]
-Stage Gouki: Syun Nishigaki [Compose & Arrange]
-Ending Sakura 1~2, Ending Dan, Ending Gen 1~2, Ending Sagat, and Ending Rose: Tatsuro Suzuki [Compose & Arrange]
-Ending Sodom, Ending Birdie, Ending Dhalsim, and Ending Gouki 1~2: Syun Nishigaki [Compose & Arrange]
-Ending Zangief 1~2, Ending Nash 1~2, Ending Rolento, and Ending Adon 1~2: Setsuo Yamamoto [Compose & Arrange]
-Staff Roll 1: Naoshi Mizuta [Compose], ?????? [Arrange]
-Staff Roll 2: Naoshi Mizuta [Compose], ?????? [Arrange]
-Staff Roll 3: Tatsuro Suzuki [Compose & Arrange]
-Stage Sagat VS Ryu: ?????? [Compose & Arrange]

NOTE2: Since SF Zero's credits was simply "Music Compose" and therefore didn't refer to Yoko Shimomura or Yoshihiro Sakaguchi [would have if those credits were "Music Compose & Arrange"], then neither does this one, as has always been the case for this album.

NOTE3: The other themes (i.e. Player Select, Continue, Game Over, etc.), be it the Zero 1 or Zero 2 versions, were never discussed in any of the liner notes at all, and are therefore excluded.

All of that is what's currently on the album page. There is only one other track directly mentioned in the liner notes, "Stage Sagat VS Ryu," that I can't get a positive lock on, though I have a good feeling it was done by Tatsuro, along with the arrangement of Staff Rolls 1 and 2 based on how Staff Roll 3 sounds.

Anything beyond THAT... is speculation.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 11, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:40 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
-The ending themes for everyone, however, are new compositions, and therefore are done by the same person that arranges the character's stage theme.
Is there anything in the album that supports this, or are you basing this on that being the case in the first game and maybe other Capcom games too?

Quote:
-In this game's OST liner notes
Your phrasing for the liner notes findings sounds to me like you're picking character names out and then assigning roles from there. I have no idea what your Japanese proficiency is, so I apologize if that's not the case. But I do want to ask to be sure: are you just picking words out, or are you actually reading the sentences and getting the context?

I feel like context is really important for liner notes in particular, because just because someone talks about a track doesn't mean they composed it or whatever; maybe they're just talking about it. (This is one reason I don't mess with liner notes.) For example, as you said, Setsuo Yamamoto talks about Sodom's theme, which is confirmed in the Power Fighters booklet to be by Syun Nishigaki. That by itself makes me dubious enough about assigning roles from anything else in the liner notes without a translation. If the person who translates them happens to be you, great!

So this post isn't all contrarianism, I'll just add that I'm totally fine with the reprises from the first game and credits from the Power Fighters OST.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:49 AM

Yeah, while I don't have much time and ablility to do a verificating translation (Dag? Xenofan? Anybody?), I have to repeat for sure "Please don't conclude that track is composed by him/her just because you find their names in the liner notes". In this case, there are at least two wrong conclusions;

Quote:
--->On Booklet 9, third Syun section, he mentions Dhalsim, so he definitely handled all of his themes
I never heard this soundtrack (even don't bother to look at the tracklist), but this already sounds logically incorrect to me. In one track someone arranging Dhalsim doesn't mean other Dhalsim related tracks are from the same person. Plus, Syun doesn't state he composes/arranges Dhalsim, in the first place; just how he plays the game.

Quote:
--->On Booklet 9, the second Setsuo section mentions "Sodom and Birdie," but since Sodom is definitely done by Syun [in accordance with Power Fighters liner notes], then so must Birdie. Setsuo therefore must of been referring to Syun in that statement, meaning that Syun arranged Birdie and composed and arranged his ending themes. Use of Sitar (?) in Birdie's theme validates this.
Same as above.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Yeah, while I don't have much time and ablility to do a verificating translation (Dag? Xenofan? Anybody?), I have to repeat for sure "Please don't conclude that track is composed by him/her just because you find their names in the liner notes". In this case, there are at least two wrong conclusions;
Despite my recent adjustments, the information given, save a few character ending credits and the Staff Roll 1 and 2 inferences, were exactly the same as what Dag wrote; he was the first person to look through these notes and assess them. That includes the Syun arrangement for Birdie credit you find so questionable. One of the few character endings Dag credited was Sakura's; all I did from there was add a little more common sense. SF Zero2 wouldn't be the only game in which all the character-specific themes would be by the same person (ex. Marvel Super Heores, Vampire, Vampire Hunter, SF Zero, etc.); that's just how they do it. For the most part, all of this elaboration exists because of Dag; you just didn't notice it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I never heard this soundtrack (even don't bother to look at the tracklist), but this already sounds logically incorrect to me. In one track someone arranging Dhalsim doesn't mean other Dhalsim related tracks are from the same person. Plus, Syun doesn't state he composes/arranges Dhalsim, in the first place; just how he plays the game.
As I said in my last post, the Power Fighters OST liner notes show the information better, as it clearly credits Syun Nishigaki to the Zero 2 versions of Dhalsim, Gouki, and Sodom in the green "past works" box. Those notes are also the only place where Sodom is credited for Zero2, as well as Adon for Setsuo Yamamoto. Syun is also known to use instruments like the Tablabaya, Tambra, and Sitar, which are in fact used in Dhalsim's stage theme. [Booklet 7 - Stage Dhalsim description].

The fact that you're unfamiliar with the music, doesn't exactly help your case, either. Leave to the people that actually listen to the stuff.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 11, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
he was the first person to look through these notes and assess them. That includes the Syun arrangement for Birdie credit you find so questionable.
Okay, so there would have been a different source than the Booklet 9 which you cited. That Setsuo talking about Sodom and Birdie thing has nothing to do with the role in the soundtrack production, either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou
As I said in my last post, the Power Fighters OST liner notes show the information better...
Then you should have quoted those more definitive sources instead. I just didn't see how Syun liking to use Dhalsim to flight with Zangief (Yoga Kick~ Yoga Fire~) confirmed that all the Dhalsim themes were from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou
Leave to the people that actually listen to the stuff.
Yeah, but you also sometimes need to clarify your edits to convince the one who doesn't actually listen to the stuff. I even think it's very important, since not every VGMdb member can afford to buy all the soundtracks that have been ever released, nor is a musician of nearly 7 years who can easily pin-point who composed what.

Anyways, the liner notes of this soundtrack certainly confirms the credits as below;
Quote:
Tatsuro -> Opening, Sakura, Gen, Sagat Ending, Rose Ending, new Staff Roll theme, Dan Ending
Setsuo -> Rolento, Zangief, Zangief Ending
This and the credits from the Power Fighters OST are definitely valid to stay here, but didn't we in the past avoid specifying the track numbers but just write the overall responsibility in the Note? I think we can handle this case in the same way, since it's still not clear whether the same person always did both the stage and ending theme of each character or not.

Last edited by Cedille; Dec 11, 2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Just to recap, I originally added to the notes here and in other Capcom OSTs something like "credits liner notes: ...", which was later modified by Kyubihanyou based on other notes (the extent I don't know). I can't remember if I put Birdie because of other notes or I just misread but either way I apologize for the confusion I caused. I'll recheck all the liner notes later.

I think it's always better to say where info comes from, so other people understand without having to do the research themselves (that's why I try to specifically say "info from the liner notes"; and yes, composers talk about random stuff in liner notes so a character's name near doesn't mean anything without context).

So what I suggest you Kyubi, for our sanity and posterity's sake, is to create a general thread for SF (or Marvel/etc capcom), with credits as given per album, then derived credits/track numbers and 'assumed' credits clearly marked (I think it's 'common' Capcom composers handle the characters' stage+ending, but it's not necessarily 'confirmed') and the sources. I'll try to help and add clearer liner notes, and once all is sorted we can extract the info. The references are clear this way and maybe this will encourage more scans.

EDIT: temporally moving the credits here until I can recheck:
Quote:
Composition:
Tatsuro Suzuki (Disc 1 - 1, 2, 21 / Disc 2 - 5, 17, 20, 23)
Setsuo Yamamoto (Disc 1 - 3, 7, 15 / Disc 2 - 4, 9)
Naoaki Iwami (Disc 1 - 4, 10)
Naoshi Mizuta (Disc 1 - 5, 9, 23 / Disc 2 - 6, 22)
Syun Nishigaki (Disc 1 - 6 / Disc 2 - 3, 11)
Yuko Takehara (Disc 1 - 8 / Disc 2 - 10)
Yoko Shimomura (Disc 1 - 12)
Isao Abe (Disc 1 - 13 / Disc 2 - 7, 8)

Arrangement:
Syun Nishigaki (Disc 1 - 6 / Disc 2 - 3, 11)
Setsuo Yamamoto (Disc 1 - 3, 15 / Disc 2 - 4, 9)
Tatsuro Suzuki (Disc 1 - 1, 2, 21 / Disc 2 - 5, 17, 20, 23)
Please, keep the featured composers credits separate or clearer from those that actually worked on the album because my head can't handle so much stuff.

Last edited by Dag; Dec 19, 2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old May 6, 2011, 06:22 PM

Syun Nishigaki: Stage Chun-Li, Stage Sodom, Stage Nash, Stage Vega, Stage End, Continue, Ending Chun-Li, Ending Sodom, Ending Nash 1~2, Ending Vega, Stage Dhalsim, Stage Gouki, Game Over-Ranking Display, Ending Dhalsim, Ending Gouki 1~2, Stage Cammy

Setsuo Yamamoto: Stage Zangief, Stage Ryu, Stage Birdie, Ending Zangief 1~2, Ending Ryu 1~2, Ending Birdie, Stage Rolento, Stage Guy, Stage Adon, Ending Rolento, Ending Guy, Ending Adon 1~2

Tatsuro Suzuki: Opening, Stage Sakura, Stage Dan, Here Comes a New Challenger, Ending Sakura 1~2, Ending Dan, Staff Roll 1, Stage Sagat VS Ryu, Player Select, Versus, Stage Gen, Stage Ken, Stage Sagat, Stage Rose, Ending Gen 1~2, Ending Ken, Ending Sagat, Ending Rose, Staff Roll 2, Staff Roll 3

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jun 23, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old May 7, 2011, 01:47 AM

Kyubi, where did you officially read that Syun did the theme of Dhalsim? From what i read, it seems that no one is quite certain if he did or not and no liner note proves this. I'm not getting on you for it, i am just wondering. In a way, i also suspect it might have been Tatsuro Suzuki, i could be wrong, though.

Also, why is cammy's stage listed? I thought she wasn't in this game, if you mean the one found in Zero 2 Alpha, that one was reused from X-Men vs Street Fighter and i am 100% it was composed by Yuko Kadota(unofficially confirmed, but knowing yuko's style well enough, i find it pretty obvious it's her's, however i will back away from posting it on the XvS page as i also want to be responsible and respect your people's rules).

I am not mad in any way at all, just a little confused.

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; May 7, 2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old May 7, 2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarukameiKasumo View Post
Kyubi, where did you officially read that Syun did the theme of Dhalsim? From what i read, it seems that no one is quite certain if he did or not and no liner note proves this. I'm not getting on you for it, i am just wondering. In a way, i also suspect it might have been Tatsuro Suzuki, i could be wrong, though.
Christ. Very first line of the very first post.

"Sodom, Dhalsim, and Gouki by Syun Nishigaki, Adon by Setsuo Yamamoto, and Sakura and Gen by Tatsuro Suzuki are all listed in the liner notes of Rockman 2: The Power Fighters OST."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarukameiKasumo View Post
Also, why is cammy's stage listed? I thought she wasn't in this game, if you mean the one found in Zero 2 Alpha, that one was reused from X-Men vs Street Fighter and i am 100% it was composed by Yuko Kadota(unofficially confirmed, but knowing yuko's style well enough, i find it pretty obvious it's her's, however i will back away from posting it on the XvS page as i also want to be responsible and respect your people's rules).

I am not mad in any way at all, just a little confused.
Since it's now been found that Syun composed the original, it only makes that much more sense for him to have done this one as well. Both XM vs. SF (09/96) and Zero 2 Dash (09/14/96) came out in the same time frame, and all the sprites, voices etc. for SF were basically just lifted from Alpha 2. That includes Cammy, right? It also shares similarities with Vega/M. Bison, which I why I swapped him and Birdie. So yeah, I think the Gold version came first.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; May 8, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old May 7, 2011, 08:21 PM

Well, Cedile said it mentioned that he liked to use Dhalsim, not that he did his theme. You must have missed that post.

Also, to comfirm, Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha was indeed released before X-Men vs Street Fighter in the arcades in August of 1996, however, if i remember correctly, cammy wasn't in the arcade version, i think she was only in the 32-bit ports? Which, if i remember correctly, were released in 1997, which would be after X-Men vs Street Fighter. Even if i'm wrong, it doesn't seem her XvS song was ever in the arcade version as i only hear one SFZ2 version, and that's the arranged version from the 32-bit ports. Even if that's the case, X-Men vs Street Fighter was being made at that time, and i take it the music was made at least a few months before its release so even then, they might have picked it up to use by then.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 09:30 AM

Am I the only one who thinks names for track 1-18 "ENDING SODOM" and track 1-19 "ENDING BIRDIE" may be switched in the tracklisting on the back cover? The endings on each disc are in the same order as the previous stage themes, but I'm sure track 18 is Birdie's ending and track 19 is Sodom's as Sodom's ending has one of his vocal samples in it.

Sodom's Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yHTcV8Dcao

Birdie's Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Yblwi_C2I

Last edited by Brad Evans II; Jun 2, 2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
Am I the only one who thinks names for track 1-18 "ENDING SODOM" and track 1-19 "ENDING BIRDIE" may be switched in the tracklisting on the back cover? The endings on each disc are in the same order as the previous stage themes, but I'm sure track 18 is Birdie's ending and track 19 is Sodom's as Sodom's ending has one of his vocal samples in it.

Sodom's Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yHTcV8Dcao

Birdie's Ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Yblwi_C2I
Nevermind, the error was on my end.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:10 AM

I'm not a Street Fighter game or music expert, and I don't know where we currently are in this debate but I thought I'd check on some of the claims here. I am only checking the liner notes for this album, nothing else.

Quote:
-Opening is mentioned by Tatsuro in the liner notes on Booklet 8, Sagat, Rose, and Staff Roll from Booklet 9 to Booklet 10 [Last Tatsuro on 9 becomes first on 10], and Dan on Booklet 10 [the next time Tatsuro speaks].
Tatsuro's involvement in Opening appears to be correct. In addition, Tatsuro mentions that he has received some "help" while composing Opening. This is probably referring to his fellow (two) co-composers, since Tatsuro is the "new guy".

Tatsuro's involvement in Ending, Sagat and Rose also appears to be correct. He also mentions a song that plays during a scene in which somebody departs in Gen's ship that brings you to tears, but I'll need more game-context information to make sense of that.

Quote:
-On Booklet 9, in the second Tatsuro section, he refers to Setsuo about Rolento and "Zangi;" this is merely Zangief shortened by two characters in order to save space, but it is definitely referring to Zangief. Chun-Li and Ryu both share a similar sound as Sodom.
Setsuo's involvement in Rolento and Zangief is correct. It is explicitly stated.

This is also the part of the conversation where Setsuo (briefly) changes the subject from music to gameplay.

Quote:
-On Booklet 10, in the first Setsuo section, he mentions Nash.
I'm not completely sure about this. They briefly talk about the endings in SFZ2 and Setsuo mentions that there was quite a lot of "dark endings". Right after, he also says that Nash remains "unchanged" though I am unclear whether he is talking about Nash's ending or music. He then says that since he is a "minor rock guy", he has difficulty with cheerful songs. Nash's theme sounds pretty dark and is rock, so I guess it is implied that he did it.

Quote:
-Booklet 7 uses similar words and sentence structure in the descriptions for Stage Gen and Stage Ryu VS Sagat. This tells me that Tatsuro handled the latter.
What are these "similar words" and "sentence structure"? As far as I can tell, the descriptions seem to be pretty general and could be made by anyone.

Quote:
-On Booklet 9, Setsuo mentions "Sodom and Birdie," but since Sodom is definitely done by Syun, then so must Birdie. Use of Sitar (?) in Birdie's theme validates this.
He does mention Sodom and Birdie, but he doesn't seem to do in a musical sense. In particular, he is glad that Zangief has returned (after being missing from the character roster in SFZ0). It may be implied that he is involved in Zangief's music but I do not have enough information to say for sure.

Quote:
"Opening" is mentioned by Tatsuro on Booklet 8 [second time he speaks], "Sagat," "Rose," and "Staff Roll" from Booklet 9 to Booklet 10 [Last Tatsuro on 9 becomes first on 10], and "Dan" on Booklet 10 [the next time Tatsuro speaks]. Therefore Tatsuro was responsible for arranging Sagat, Rose, and Dan's stage themes and composing and arranging their ending themes, composing and arranging the new opening, and composing and arranging the new Staff Roll [Staff Roll 3].
Tatsuro's involvement in Dan appears to be correct. He says it is a happy song (as opposed to dark, see above).

Quote:
---> On Booklet 9, third Tatsuro section, he mentions Sakura and Gen, so he definitely handled all of their themes.
Tatsuro's involvement in Sakura and Gen is correct. It is explicitly stated.

Quote:
As already mentioned in the previous posts, in this section of the interview, Shun states that Zangief is a difficult character as an opponent, so one should use Dhalsim, flying around, keeping away from Zangief's reach, while using "Yoga Kick", "Yoga Punch" and "Yoga Fire". The topic of music does not enter into it.

To conclude and summarise the interview, some of the composer involvements in songs are explicitly stated and we can safely say who did what. Some of them may or may not be implied so will require a native Japanese speaker who can glean further information/context/assumptions from it. Some of the character mentions are simply brought up for the sake of conversation and not necessarily always on the subject of music.

Last edited by layzee; Jun 3, 2019 at 10:24 AM.