VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 5, 2013, 03:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
If you're a fan of Nakagawa check out C3-bu. There's this 4 minute long jazzy track near the end of the first episode and it's excellent.

Fun show too.
I saw it today and yes that track was amazing. I like developement of track from single bass line to whole big band sound.
I also like Nakagawa tribute to Goldsmith´s Rambo music.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 07:15 PM

Gotta say i was a bit worried when i noticed Nakagawa was doing a simple slice of life anime because honestly that's NOT where his music usually shines. After seeing that rambo scene though i can see where he can potentially get more freedom to work with.

Maybe there will be a lot of scenes reenacted from movies that will allow him to give use that Nakagawa flare i've come to love .

Honestly no other soundtracks have interested me as of yet besides Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi which had some decent pieces and a somewhat interesting plot. I'll have to keep my eyes on that one.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:57 PM
VGMdb Staff

A few samples of Tatsuya Kato's work for Genei Taiyo for anyone who isn't watching: http://www.geneitaiyo.com/music/

Looks like Aniplex published a bit of biographical info about him too.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 01:16 PM

oh, I'm older than he is, didn't know his bd =)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 07:38 AM
VGMdb Staff

Haven't really been a fan of recent Iwasaki but his work on Gatchaman Crowds didn't seem that bad and the main theme is super catchy. He's not back to his old style or anything though.

Also, best first episode of the season.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:21 AM
Trusted Editor

I haven't found anything that interests me yet. I tried the first ep of Blood Lad, but, oh my god, this is just horrible... I don't think I can keep watching this, even if I want to see Hayashi's music in context.

Anything good (first of all in terms of story) you guys can recommend?

For the time being, I'll just rewatch Toradora.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 09:51 AM
VGMdb Staff

Well it's summer so there's not much. Let's see, in terms of story...

Uchoten Kazoku is an adaptation of a novel by Tomihiko Morimi, author of The Tatami Galaxy. It is being adapted by P.A. Works, a studio known for their high quality art. The director is Masayuki Yoshihara, who has been very involved with Kenji Kamiyama's work serving as assistant director for Eden of the East and an episode director for the Ghost in the Shell series. It's interesting so far and I'm wondering where it will go.

Silver Spoon is an adaptation of a shounen manga by Hiromu Arakawa, creator of Fullmetal Alchemist. It is being adapted by A-1 Pictures, a studio with a history of subpar manga adaptations. The director is Tomohiko Ito, a former employee of Madhouse who last directed Sword Art Online. It's quite different from Arakawa's previous works in that it isn't action focused. It's a slice of life series set at an agricultural high school. The manga has been well received, winning both the 58th Shogakukan Manga Award and the 5th Manga Taisho Award. I have not watched this yet.

Gatchaman Crowds is the latest show from director Kenji Nakamura (Mononoke, C, Tsuritama). He's a director with some neat ideas and known for his interesting art styles. His previous shows have all been pretty good so I'm looking forward to see what he does with Gatchaman. The first episode was very entertaining but the story (being written by Tsuritama's Toshiya Ono) is anyone's guess at this point. Both the art style and main character are very colorful.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:39 AM

In this anime season are some really excellent and promising music scores but series are little bit weak...even Futari wa Milky Holmes got some good music by Jun Ichikawa (I would never watch first episode if there wasn´t involved Ichikawa)
I am following now mostly for music:
Stella C3, The World God Only Knows, Free, Uchouten Kazoku, Makai Ouji, Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou and Symphogear G
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:16 AM
VGMdb Staff

I got used to watching max two anime shows per season; it's not like I don't try more, I just end up dropping a lot of shows. This time I dropped Devils and realist, Blood lad, Genei and Fate/kaleid.

If the music seems promising I just wait for the OST to be released without forcing myself to watch something I'm not interested in.

That being said, I'm currently watching only C3 (really light show it seems) and apparently having trouble to find a second show.

btw from previous season I ended up with Gargantia (pretty disappointed in the end but oh well - could have been much better but then again it could have been much worse too) and Hataraku Maousama which was the most pleasant surprise and I've enjoyed it a lot (have to bear with some usual cliches but nothing serious). [yup I dropped Attack on Titan lol]
Old Jul 15, 2013, 03:50 PM

Why would you do such a thing? D:

Honestly imo Attack on Titan is still going strong as it just went into the second season (and what a good way to start it with a great episode, with a awesome new op and ed with a lot more foreshadowing to what is to come as well).

But anyway i just recently finished watching every new show this season and here are the ones that stick out to me.

Fantasia Doll: Call me a Takanashi fanboy but i NEVER get tired of hearing his compositions. He seems to have a thing for cute shows now a days it seems. After finally letting go of precure here he is with another moe infested show lol. Sadly his soundtrack is getting the Blueray enclosure over 6 releases treatment.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi: Nothing special came from the first episode but there were some really nice choir pieces in the 2nd episode of this one. The anime itself also has a pretty interesting scenario as well. There is lots of talking and i honestly don't mind that if what comes out of it is deep and meaningful in some way.

Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou: Out of all the shows Tatsuya Katou is doing this season this one is easily the best. Great battle tracks and the anime is somewhat interesting show to boot(if you are into a dark magical girl story).

Kiniro Mosaic: VERY enticing tunes here. There are many moments in the first episode where you get to just listen to the music for a decent amount of time by itself and what a treat is it. If i had to compare it to something recent i'd say it's kind of like photokano. Only the tracks are WAY longer and were a bit more enjoyable for me. The show is very hilarious. Watching japanese people trying to fluently speak engrish had me rolling for at least an hour. Overall it's another moe show though so it might not be everyones cup of tea.

Gatchaman: I agree with nextday about the main theme. It's really catchy and i found myself replaying the scene a couple times to listen to it. Honestly though the anime itself was very bland and the animation (aside from the CG scenes) was bad at least imo.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 05:56 PM
VGMdb Staff

The Attack on Titan anime has been getting worse every week in my opinion. The recaps keep getting longer and the animation quality keeps getting lower... I think I might just stick to the manga.

And it doesn't help that Sawano and Revo both failed in the music department. Trashy soundtrack and trashy opening theme.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:40 PM

personally, I wasn't wanting to watch attack on titan, but some people on irc was like "why don't you want to see it?" like it's the best anime of this year
I gave a try and saw --the rest has already been said =)
however I like some tracks in the ost like DOA

to me, it's more and more difficult to find a watchable anime, I'm forced to lower my standards to simply watch some animes otherwise it could be like 2 animes a year
too much crap for creepy otakus, fans of fetishism (scissors anime, for example) or lolis
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
The Attack on Titan anime has been getting worse every week in my opinion. The recaps keep getting longer and the animation quality keeps getting lower... I think I might just stick to the manga.

And it doesn't help that Sawano and Revo both failed in the music department. Trashy soundtrack and trashy opening theme.
Please keep in mind most anime episodes are around 200,000-500,000 per episode. It's likely about the time Attack on Titan is all said and done they will have blown 2-5 million. The production values have probably been toned down since the anime in the slow part of the story so there isn't really any need to go over the top and blow unnecessary money. Once the fighting starts again it's likely we'll see why it's still the best animated show of this season and last.

Of course this all opinion based but still i don't see how one can say Attack on Titan is a BAD show. At the very least it's decent and throws you for a wild ride from the very first episode. I mean i honestly think it actually deserves much of it's popularity MUCH more than Sword Art Online did (which failed at the 2nd season).

I'm certain it will sell well though so hopefully we'll get to see more after it's over (i think the manga is still ongoing).
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:36 PM

I really like ending song from Attack on Titan with good arrangement work by Takayuki Negishi.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:22 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead333 View Post
The production values have probably been toned down since the anime in the slow part of the story so there isn't really any need to go over the top and blow unnecessary money. Once the fighting starts again it's likely we'll see why it's still the best animated show of this season and last.
Am I the only one who thinks this should be the other way round? I mean, in high speed action scenes I'm probably won't even notice this increased quality. It's in the slow speed scenes with little to no motion where I notice image quality deficiencies. Simply because there I have the chance to see stuff for more than a split second.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this should be the other way round? I mean, in high speed action scenes I'm probably won't even notice this increased quality. It's in the slow speed scenes with little to no motion where I notice image quality deficiencies. Simply because there I have the chance to see stuff for more than a split second.
If you need an example the colossal titan vs Eren fight is probably the best animated fight so far. There is a CLEAR difference if you watch that scene. There are various times when the characters are swinging building to building and seeing the awesome camera movement and angles makes them a real treat to watch. You do have a point though, it would be nice if they would increase quality for normal scenes. But again seeing that this show probably has been blowing quite a bit of money (more than anyone else too) you have to cut corners SOMEWHERE. And in my opinion they are doing it in the correct fashion and i honestly can hardly see any difference in quality since the show started.

That's just me though.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:58 AM
Trusted Editor

Well, for me it doesn't matter anyway, since I thought from the beginning that the show is utter crap.

EDIT: Any thanks to nextday for the recommendations. I'm going to give these a shot, but nothing really sounds too enticing.

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Jul 17, 2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:19 AM

Ahahaha. You know what they say.

Haters gonna hate son
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:57 AM
Trusted Editor

I'm just not the type that likes shows which define themself merely by the amount of fighting scenes. Gore, guts, excessive violence -- this stuff might have attracted me 15 years ago.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:19 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's wrong to think of us as haters, leatherhead. Something could be considered a top show and be a top seller but that doesn't mean it should be worshipped by everyone. Sword Art Online anime is a commercial success. I think the show was shit. Entirely. Attack on Titan will undoubtedly have massive sales. Again, I just didn't like it and definitely thought it wasn't worth my time.

If we have a different opinion (vs. the mass), saying that we're haters isn't always the best solution

Last edited by Efendija; Jul 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:36 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
I think the show was shit. Entirely.
This. I honestly don't understand what people see in that shows. I didn't even find the music particularly noteworthy, although I mostly like what Kajiura does. But this is just bland stuff, nothing more.

Also the story is inconsistent, too many characters are introduced which are totally redundant and sometimes more a hindrance to the development. The romantic part is poorly developed. When people die in front of the main character, you don't care because the show never takes any time to develop some kind of "bond".

And don't let me start about the second part...

And yes, I've seen the entire show. But if I could, I would kick myself in the ass for wasting so much precious time.

</rant>
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:59 AM

Lol i mostly said that because i needed something to go with the silly pictures thats all :P.

I know people have negative opinions on things the mass or myself likes. That's completely fine. I also thought SAO wasn't good enough though it was well received.

It's just when you call something garbage, crappy etc. you should know that there is ALWAYS someone out there who likes it despite how bad you think it is. And some people will defend it to the death. I'm one of those people >:I

But i just think some people just need to watch anime with more of an open mind these days. Anime really has no room to innovate anymore. Just about every good idea has been done already in some form. The only way to be original is to make a REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY silly concept or trait for the main character (like the having a zombie fetish or something of the sort). Anime veterans will always complain about such things which somewhat annoys me. You might as well stop watching anime all together if that's the case.

There are certain shows where it's best to just switch the brain off and enjoy how the show presents itself. Whether it be in a silly, funny, philosophical or entertaining way.
I still get a kick out of at least a hand full of shows each season. Sure you have to lower your standards but like i said it isn't easy to do your own thing as much anymore.

Just my 2 cents
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:33 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
But i just think some people just need to watch anime with more of an open mind these days.
You're confusing "open mind" with uncritically.

Quote:
Anime really has no room to innovate anymore. Just about every good idea has been done already in some form.
I strongly disagree. You could say the same thing about literature and movies. And still good books and film are coming out every year.

No, the problem is that once something becomes mainstream enough, creators/publishers/etc. want to play it safe. And that means catering to the largest audience possible. And we all know what happens if you try to please everybody. Things start to loose their "edge". The product might not be exactly bad, but it doesn't stand out either. And here lies the problem. To make something that stands out, you have to sacrifice compatibility with the masses.

And this trends gets worse and worse, mainly because productions get bigger and bigger and therefore also more expensive. And nobody wants to invest huge amounts of money into something, where there is no clear guarantee that it will also generate at least the same amount of revenue.

Quote:
The only way to be original is to make a REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY silly concept or trait for the main character (like the having a zombie fetish or something of the sort).
Again, disagreed. For me a concept for a story has to be credible. That's not to be confused with realistic. I think people often mix these two up. You can have an unrealistic story e.g. set in a magical world, etc., but it still being credible. For this development has to be consisted. Actions got to have a reason, even if they're explained much later in the story. You have to understand what characters do, even if they're doing the wrong thing. Also applies to the antagonist.

You make things too silly, you instantly lose all credibility. Some people might enjoy this, but not me. The only things that are worse that this, are probably these american sitcoms with laugh track to indicate where people are supposed to find something funny.

Quote:
Anime veterans will always complain about such things which somewhat annoys me. You might as well stop watching anime all together if that's the case.
And I'll keep watching because there are some gems from time to time. And I think it's worth to salvage them from the large amount of junk.

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Jul 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
You're confusing "open mind" with uncritically.

I strongly disagree. You could say the same thing about literature and movies. And still good books and film are coming out every year.

No, the problem is that once something becomes mainstream enough, creaters/publishers/etc. want to play it safe. And that means catering to the largest audience possible. And we all know what happens if you try to please everybody. Things start to loose their "edge". The product might not be exactly bad, but it doesn't stand out either. And here lies the problem. To make something that stands out, you have to sacrifice compatibility with the masses.

And this trends gets worse and worse, mainly because productions get bigger and bigger and therefore also more expensive. And nobody wants to invest huge amounts of money into something, where there is no clear guarantee that it will also generate at least the same amount of revenue.

Again, disagreed. For me a concept for a story has to be credible. That's not to be confused with realistic. I think people often mix these two up. You can have an unrealistic story e.g. set in a magical world, etc., but it still being credible. For this development has to be consisted. Actions got to have a reason, even if they're explained much later in the story. You have to understand what characters do, even if they're doing the wrong thing. Also applies to the antagonist.

You make things too silly, you instantly lose all credibility. Some people might enjoy this, but not me. The only things that are worse that this, are probably these american sitcoms with laugh track to indicate where people are supposed to find something funny.

And I'll keep watching because there are some gems from time to time. And I think it's worth to salvage them from the large amount of junk.
I'm entirely aware that most companies can't afford to take chances on stuff that isn't guaranteed to make a profit or at least break even. No one likes to lose money. The anime business can't be as creative as it used to be. The majority of anime these days don't even make a profit until about after a year if they are lucky. There aren't very many run away hits that sell crazy good like Attack on Titan or SAO these days.

Now do i agree with them always taking the safe route? No. But in all honesty can you blame them? Let me ask you this. Let's say company makes a show that is a cut from all the rest (in other words not the same stuff we've been seeing for years). However this show ends up being a big flop because it isolates most of their fanbase. They end up blowing thousands of dollars for no reason. Sure they appeased fans of the manga or people who wanted something different but in the end what does that do for them? It doesn't get them their money back. It ends up just being a completely raw deal for them. If you want a recent example just look at free! I predict the anime won't sell well at all because they pretty much completely gave the middle finger to all the otakus of the world and are trying to appeal more to women with it's pure manservice. Basically they are taking a shot in the dark and it's likely to bite them in the butt. Perhaps this is an experimental thing but i don't see it working out well.

That's how you end up going bankrupt and losing investors in future projects.
These people KNOW what people will buy or what is currently the trend (there was a trend not to long ago where shows that had a OP main character would sell extremely well and there were about 3 shows that ended up having that in one season).

I hate to say it but that's business for you. It's not possible to appease everyone so you must go with pleasing the people that will get you the most cash.

@ 3rd point

That's not really my point. By concept i mean the over all layout of how the series plays out. For example shows that good vs evil, human corruption considering matters of politics or ethics, engineering technology to make super humans, revolutions against oppression etc. It's honestly not hard to see how a show will play out these days. It's mostly all pretty predictable. Which is why i like shows that leave a bit to the imagination and have a bit of mystery. Why? Because it lets fans speculate and converse about different topics and try to predict what will happen to which characters and why. That's part of the reason why i like Attack on Titan. The Titans have a lot of mystery surrounding their very existence and actions which i find very interesting.

In my opinion what makes a story truly unique is HOW the story unfolds not the overall result. And as you said it helps if the reason a character does something or an event happens is reasonable or interesting. A show that has the characters stay the same throughout the series is almost never good imo. If a character makes reasonable changes through the development of the plot that makes them a crap ton more realistic/relate-able.

Though of course most shows play the same anime tropes over and over again for the sake of playing it safe. A cruel world isn't it?

Last edited by leatherhead333; Jul 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:31 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Any thanks to nextday for the recommendations. I'm going to give these a shot, but nothing really sounds too enticing.
Please do not expect much. I get the feeling that there will a only couple worthwhile shows this season but nothing excellent (in terms of story).

It may be too early to tell.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:22 PM

the only thing I'm really looking forward to this year (supposedly this year) is evangelion:final
the rest... belongs to void
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:30 PM

Hey, nextday. Thanks a lot for the short synopses. Uchouten Kazoku sounds extremely interesting since Tatami Galaxy is the last great anime I watched (one of the very few series I ever completed and hence this username).
Old Oct 5, 2013, 09:38 AM

Kyoukai No Kanata contains some excellent music by Hikaru Nanase - there is orchestra and choir and also few light pop tracks.
Music fit scenes like a glove + I quite like the anime, good mix of action, comedy and romance.

Coppelion - almost 2/3 of 1st episode was without music but close to end there was music and what I heard is similar to "K" sound and that is great.
Mikio Endo can produce some good mix of piano and electronics.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:18 AM

Looks like Masaru Yokoyama pulled a "Tatsuya" this season. Composing for 3 different shows like a boss .

Sucks that all his work seems to be only in enclosures now but that's what happens when you compose for perverted anime all the time. Seriously though ever since queen's blade I've loved the guys work. Just wish he would compose for something.......not ecchi related lol.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:

... that's what happens when you compose for perverted anime all the time. ...
oh, you have info that nobody has?