VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Nov 15, 2008, 08:00 PM

Where does the composer breakdown information come from?
Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

From a Q&A article posted at the Rare website: http://www.rareware.com/extras/tepid...sic/index.html
Old Nov 16, 2008, 04:53 PM

I'm not seeing it on that page, Rimo...

I'm talking about a source where it says David Wise did tracks 1, 3-8, etc. and
Eveline Fischer did tracks 2, 9, etc.

And Discogs doesn't count, because they don't list a source either.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:30 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I didn't see the info on the page Rimo linked (maybe I missed it), but it's definitely on this one: http://web.archive.org/web/200512292...s_content.html

EDIT: Just adding in a quote from the page for the sake of archival.

Quote:
Dear Scribes,
I am hoping you can provide me with the info that I'm seeking regarding Donkey Kong Country's original soundtrack. The credits list three people working on the soundtrack (Mr. Wise, Mr. Beanland, and Ms. Fischer). I was wondering if you could please list who did which song, individually. Although most of the songs have those memorable and distinct Wise-style melodies, some are leaving me scratching my head.
Yours truly,
Jean-Marc Goulet

Rare: Let's see. Once he'd polished off the new DKC3 GBA score Dave found the time to dig up a full list, and it looks like this: Robin did Funky's Fugue, Eveline did Simian Segue, Candy's Love Song, Voices of the Temple, Forest Frenzy, Tree Top Rock, Northern Hemispheres and Ice Cave Chant, and the rest was the doing of Mr. Wise. Hot damn! It always makes me feel empowered when we can provide actual, genuine, non-fabricated information.

Last edited by CHz; Jan 29, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 04:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Oops, yeah, its not in the page I linked, sorry. I remembered it came from a tepid seat article and just picked up the music one to link without re-reading it. Got a bit mixed up, yet the page CHz linked to is what I had in mind.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:13 PM

Ah! Okay then. Thanks all!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 08:38 AM
VGMdb Staff

What is this? An alternate print on sleeve card?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:59 PM

Who would be dumb enough to professionally resurface game soundtracks?

Never seen this release, we should ask the seller for a picture of the back of the sleeve.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:12 AM
VGMdb Staff

Added "German release" of DK Jamz (http://vgmdb.net/album/15975)
Removed from the notes "An alternate image was used on the back for the European release" & added to the child album now.
I think the release date of the US version (Mar 01, 1995) is incorrect, the german one shows 1994 on the disc.
Also added another child album of DK Jamz on sleeve card only for reference but it missing some infos.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 03:57 AM
VGMdb Administrator

1994 Could be the game copyright, too, and not necessarily any kind of release date.

Also, so these other 2 printings don't have the 2 hidden tracks? If you're sure that's the case, then I'll unlink them from the parent since the tracklistings would technically be different.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 07:45 AM
VGMdb Staff

The German release yeah has only 23 tracks. All my CD players (Pc included) recognize only 23 tracks, also the Clone CD software read 23 tracks.
Discogs (http://www.discogs.com/Rare-DK-Jamz/release/514350) report a track number 50 with no playing time. Maybe an error?
About DK Jamz on sleeve card I don't know. I put it here only for reference for now.

Last edited by depa; Oct 23, 2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 06:14 AM

Yukio Kaneoka should be creditted as co-composer for track 1. (for the first 35 seconds of that track)
Old May 15, 2013, 02:09 AM

Default Some audio defects & weird track

Hey there. Although my version is the reprint http://vgmdb.net/album/15975, I'd like to try and find out in this thread first.

I've got some issues with my CD, anyone else?

Firstly, the beginning of track 3 - DK Island Swing - is the opening fanfare (?!).
Then, there are some cracks or noises, at least in the following locations:

Track 2 - 0:52 (almost not to hear)
Track 2 - 1:57 (loud)
Track 10 - 1:59 (loud)
Track 11 - 2:25 (low)
Track 14 - 2:01 (loud)
Trck 20 - 2:09 (loud)

Actually, right now I'm realizing that it's virtually every song in the last few seconds.

So, does this only affect my copy or do you experience the same... inconveniences?

Last edited by SailorB; May 16, 2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 01:21 AM

Anyone have a high-quality scan of the cover? I see an 1800x1800 jpeg floating around, but it's a blurry mess.

The one here is more sharper.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 09:07 AM

Uhh, can anyone explain to me what's with those 'blank and unlisted tracks'? i'm confused...
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:54 PM

They're there to separate the two unlisted tracks at the end, which are supposed to be hidden.

Why there are several 4-second clips instead of one long blank track is beyond me, however. Was it so the CD player would keep reading track after track, weirding people out as it kept starting over?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:45 PM

So I'm thinking about buying this soundtrack. What should I look out for?

As far as I know there isn't a bootleg version floating around, but I could be wrong.

Also what's the going rate for this CD?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 06:01 PM

Why didn't this get bumped to the top? How's anyone going to see my question when this topic is buried behind several pages?

Edit: Okay, that worked.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 03:15 PM

Question: Where did the track titles for the 2 bonus tracks "End of Turn" and "End of Stage" come from? They're not on the back of the album. Are they on the booklet inside? There is no booklet scan for this album on the page, and Google didn't turn up anything as well. Are those two titles fanon or are they hidden somewhere in the album's packaging that hasn't been scanned yet?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:39 PM

There's no booklet; only a one-sided insert (front artwork) and the tracklist on the back of the case. So "End of Turn" and "End of Stage" should probably be in parentheses or labeled in the notes instead.

I doubt this information is out there, but... anyone know who composed those last two tracks?

Edit: Now that I look at it, I should probably submit a larger scan of the back as well.

Last edited by Jedi QuestMaster; Oct 7, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 09:14 AM

Didn't this used to have a catalog number on it? DIDX-02something? Where'd it go?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 01:56 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It used to. We don't consider DIDX- codes to be catalog numbers because they're not assigned by the publishers/labels; they're manufacturing IDs from the plant that pressed the CDs. There's more info in Secret Squirrel's and Anders's posts in this thread: https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=9529

(This album is one of a few cases though where the DIDX- code is actually printed on the disc label too, not just the inner ring.)
Old Jun 2, 2019, 07:11 AM

Isn't "End of Turn" technically a combination of two tracks? Part one is "End Of Turn" and the latter part is "Bonus Room Failure."
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
Isn't "End of Turn" technically a combination of two tracks? Part one is "End Of Turn" and the latter part is "Bonus Room Failure."
Yes, the first jingle in that track plays when you get hit with only one Kong left, the second is when you fail at a bonus room objective.

Also, does anyone know who composed the two hidden tracks?