VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 5, 2009, 07:04 AM
VGMdb Staff

Default buying VGM on YahooJapan with shoppingmall service

Hi guys,
recently I've started to buy VGM from YahooJapan with the famous middleservice shoppingmalljapan, after reading some reviews on the net.
Well I'm very satisfied with the service considering the reasonable commissions compared to other similar services available.
But the only defect I've found is the system storage (to save money) which has a limit of one month for non-U.S. customers like me compared to the 3 months limit for american friends.
I've also read there's a possibility for us (europeans) with a request, to store items in the US office of shoppingmall paying additional shipping costs (don't know how many) that normal american customers pays and have so the 3 limit month.
I know there are some european users here that use that service so how do you behave?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 09:18 PM
VGMdb Staff

I haven't used their services for quite a while but I don't remember there being a one month limit for local (Tokyo) storage, before. Maybe they had to add that recently. Anyway, one month seems like a decent amount of time to me, it would most likely become more expensive to have your items shipped to the US and then to Europe.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:57 AM

Definitely not long enough...

:-|
Old Nov 13, 2009, 06:34 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Can this service be used to buy stuff on Amazon.co.jp? Or would anyone know of another service best for that?
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:54 PM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, Kaleb, it should be alright. While I've never used them for anything but YJA personally, they do provide help with ordering from websites as well ["We can order from nearly any website!"]. They have a link for 'Web Orders' at the top of the main page there.

Last edited by seanne; Dec 13, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 01:35 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Just an update: SMJ now allows up to 60 days (2 months) storage in Japan for small items (meaning CDs, DVDs, etc).
Old Dec 13, 2009, 06:47 AM

Kenji and Nick do a good job of running SMJ, but the deputy fees are expensive and something that's 2000円 will run you almost $50 USD after shipping. Using anything below EMS would be gambling.

Also note that they charge shipping after the item has been sent. I've had a few items arrive and then had to pay EMS on them afterwards. It's backwards as hell but that's what you'll be up against. Unless you have someone in Japan who can order stuff for you, try using them as a last resort.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 03:23 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalixir View Post
Kenji and Nick do a good job of running SMJ, but the deputy fees are expensive and something that's 2000円 will run you almost $50 USD after shipping. Using anything below EMS would be gambling.
I typically try to use their local storage as much as possible to save on shipping, so I tend to buy things in bunches. Another thing which can save you money on fees is to bid on auctions with several items included, as you pay 'per-auction'.

And considering Japanese people always package stuff with the greatest of care I've never once had problems using either Airmail or even SAL (I typically use Regular Airmail, which takes about 4 days to get here from Japan). Even SAL is no problem, sure it might take several weeks for it to arrive but it's cheeeap!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
I typically try to use their local storage as much as possible to save on shipping, so I tend to buy things in bunches. Another thing which can save you money on fees is to bid on auctions with several items included, as you pay 'per-auction'.

And considering Japanese people always package stuff with the greatest of care I've never once had problems using either Airmail or even SAL (I typically use Regular Airmail, which takes about 4 days to get here from Japan). Even SAL is no problem, sure it might take several weeks for it to arrive but it's cheeeap!
This only applies, however, to Yahoo Japan. If you request multiple items from the same store (I've bought stuff off extenal sites before) they will charge you additional fees per item requested. Still really useful though.

Japanese do not always package their stuff with great care, that's as stereotypical as saying that they're all nice.

Here's what SMJ have to say about their shipping:

Quote:
>>>-SAL: This service should be used on a heavier lot of items when shipping cost is a major concern. EMS may be quicker and safer, but SAL can be around 20 to 30% cheaper on average for larger / heavier packages, but can take 3 times longer to arrive and has no guarenteed time frame (it can take over a month in some rare cases). The only major drawback we've had with SAL is that it can no longer be insured. We always recommend EMS over SAL.

>>>-SAL-printed: This is a very cheap service designed for small packages with only printed matter. Check the link on the shipping request page for restrictions. (we will not ship non-printed matter or other items that do not qualify via this service even if requested) Its not insured nor trackable, and in our experiance takes usually 10 to 14 days to deliver.

>>>-Surface: The only time you should ever use this service is when you need to cut shipping costs dramaticly, the items are not easily broken, and you don't mind if it takes forever and a day for them to arrive (can take 3+ months in some cases) This type of package can't be insured, can't be tracked, and has litterally no time frame for delivery. Even though average shipping times may be stated on the postal site, in our experiance it shows up when it feels like it. Should a Surface package get lost or damaged, there is no option to file a claim, no recouperation, and SMJ will not assume any of the costs. Use at your own risk.
From http://animecelsforum.yuku.com/topic...ns.html?page=1

So just be careful. Basically if you don't use EMS, it's not insured nor tracked. It's a gamble, so use it at your own risk. If it goes missing, nothing can be done.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:49 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

SMJ helped me out big. I was able to get the PSO BB ep4 OST new! More info here if needed.

The process could have been much smoother, but aside from being rather slow, they did what I needed 'em to do. Kudos.