VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old May 16, 2010, 08:26 AM
Trusted Editor

Default BUG: iPhone browser crashes when trying to login

When I enter the main page and click the "Login" dropdown, as soon as I select the username field, the browser completely crashes. I don't see this as previously reported and I did a search for iPhone and all that came back was SS looking for emulators to test.

Not a huge deal for me and probably others since I doubt there's much demand for a mobile vgmdb.net site outside of just querying albums, which you can do without logging in, or viewing your collection, which you can do without being logged in -- just a few extra clicks.

Also a mobile friendly version of the site would be nice. The regular site is heavily laden with images and tends to load slow on mobile browsers over 3G/over-the-air networks.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:51 AM
Trusted Editor

Uhm, why do you post this here? If the browser crashes then it's a browser bug, not a bug in the VGMdb code...
Old May 16, 2010, 08:52 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I didn't encounter this problem on my iPhone 3G, but that's probably because my software version is ancient. And yeah, VGMdb is indeed slow on mobile. I'll put this in the idea pile.

And no, the login dropdown doesn't use Flash =)
Old May 16, 2010, 09:22 AM
Trusted Editor

Yeah I know, if the login dropdown was flash it just wouldn't even work. I'm using the latest iPhone OS version if there's any question there, and I have a 3GS though there should be no difference in browser version there.

And for the record, I don't know where the bug is, but even if it's a browser based bug it's easier to fix vgmdb to workaround a browser bug in a mobile phone that will likely never see it fixed than it is to go post on the Safari forums and try and troubleshoot whatever it is. iPhone OS updates are few and far between compared the visibility this bug would see on these forums.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:09 AM

WebKit browsers are seeing very regular updates, I highly doubt iPhone OS updates are excluded from that.

A work around makes only sense if the crash is also reproducible on other browsers with the specific WebKit version. To find out your WebKit version e.g. test this JavaScript example and note the version number right after the "AppleWebKit/" part.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:19 AM
Trusted Editor

Example: Available
You are using Netscape Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16
Old May 16, 2010, 11:20 AM
Trusted Editor

I just posted that from my phone and logging in from the login redirect page works, just not that dropdown up top :P