VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 5, 2016, 02:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Trailer for Kirby: Planet Robobot, a.k.a. Triple Deluxe With Robots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o-T60We6Gk

Sounds like Ando ◕ ◡ ◕

(maybe Ishikawa for that third, orchestral song)
Old Mar 6, 2016, 01:47 AM

1:46 is the big giveaway for me. Hirokazu Ando is working on this game. I'm satisfied
Old Apr 4, 2016, 08:12 PM

Here are some samples from the Game, who do you think composed which song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw_H1J0eTfA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3E7ezjb4Ns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GToV...JJg-hGgwN0oXDz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xg8...JJg-hGgwN0oXDz

I gotta say...I'm lovin' the Music so far in this Game!!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 08:30 PM
VGMdb Administrator

First and third are definitely Ando (chords and ridiculous piano are the giveaways). Second I'm not really sure about, could be Ishikawa or another composer. Fourth is originally Ando's composition from Return to Dream Land so I'm going to guess him, but I'm not 100% positive it's his arrangement.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 01:51 PM

Credits for Kirby Planet Robobot are already out, and they credit Hirokazu Ando for "Lead Sound" and Jun Ishikawa for "Sound".
Old Apr 28, 2016, 01:55 PM

given what i've heard of the robobot ost i would say just "sound" is an apt description of what ishikawa did for that game (not in a bad way, lol)

also hal updated its blog yesterday with a picture of the robobot staff. pretty sure ando is standing in the back, and ishikawa is probably standing to his right.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:57 PM

Kewl. Will need to listen to the soundtrack in full as soon as I have the means. The Ishikawa tunes should stick out, if there are any. I can't be sure where he is in the photo, tbh. I thought possibly second row from back, second from right, but it could equally be the guy next to Ando, which would make most sense. The image quality is too low.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:44 AM

GilvaSunner (THE REAL ONE) is uploading robobot tracks w/ composer credits so i can only assume the sound test is similar to triple deluxe's. there's some no-brainers here, even among reused tracks. (like machine passage, did anyone need to be told who wrote machine passage)

JUST BE AWARE THERE ARE SPOILERS IN THE TITLES OF SOME OF THEM so if you don't want to be spoiled, don't click. here ya go.
Old May 1, 2016, 01:00 PM

Has there been any official confirmation on that breakdown? I mean, it could be true that the sound test (if there is any) would give away composers like in Triple Deluxe, but I couldn't find any evidence of that (specially considering the game just released).

I prefer treating that composer breakdown as guesses (although both Ando and Ishikawa are really easy to identify tbh). Personally I'm going to wait until I play the game before hearing the ost =P
Old May 1, 2016, 01:27 PM

i have been looking high and low for footage of the sound test, to no avail. might be easier if i could write in japanese/korean (there's a korean robobot playthrough) to see if anyone uploaded footage of the sound test in those languages
Old May 1, 2016, 02:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I just asked GilvaSunner and the sound test has the same red note/blue note attribution deal as Triple Deluxe: http://twitter.com/GilvaSunner/statu...00308467703808
Old May 1, 2016, 03:16 PM

OK, thanks a lot. I must say that HAL Laboratory is getting pretty generous as of lately with composer confirmations haha. Nintendo and some others should learn from them...
Old May 2, 2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I just asked GilvaSunner and the sound test has the same red note/blue note attribution deal as Triple Deluxe: http://twitter.com/GilvaSunner/statu...00308467703808
This is most excellent news. I was convinced of both Ishikawa and Ando's involvement anyway, but I am glad that none of us have to attempt to disambiguate their responsibilities.

I've given the soundtrack a bit of a listen now, and there is some really outstanding new music. Refresh.dspadpcm and TRhythm.dspadpcm are already amongst my favourite Ando tunes.

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; May 7, 2016 at 01:49 AM.
Old May 2, 2016, 02:02 AM

GilvaSunner had "refresh" credited to Ishikawa yesterday and that messed me up bad because that did not sound like Ishikawa at all. Don't make me all confused like that, GilvaSunner ;_;
Old May 2, 2016, 01:47 PM

I really like Ice Cream Factory. Not sure if it's new or not.
Old May 6, 2016, 02:58 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I finally set aside a whole day to listen to this and I flat out don't understand how it's mathematically possible at this point for Hirokazu Ando to keep getting better every game. How did this song get even better and what even are these bass licks and oh man it's final boss time and BRASS EXPLOSION and god this makes me happy to be alive and

(Also, Ishikawa's still got it)
Old May 7, 2016, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Thank you for finding TRhythm.dspadpcm my reaction was very similar. The sound palette from the original Toy Rhythm seems to have been used as the basis for many of the new arrangements in Planet Robobot's soundtrack (as far as I can tell), but I like that Ando decided to give the original song the opposite treatment. I really love both versions, it's just a great song.

Really like all your other picks, too. Still familiarising myself with this stuff, that probably won't happen properly until I have access to a tagged set locally.

EDIT: this Ishikawa tune might be my favourite by him on the soundtrack, so far as I've heard. Vintage stuff

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; May 7, 2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:09 AM

the more i listen to ando's triple deluxe/robobot stuff the more bitter i grow that they didn't get him to do something for smash 4, smh

(not to mention they picked some of the most eh triple deluxe songs to be in smash 4. in a game that had dirty&beauty and moonlit blossom and y'all pick the grassland theme and some generic uh oh boss music???)

as for ishikawa's stuff i like... all of it? all of it. yes. my technolord is back (with better dubstep) im so happy
Old May 8, 2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddledoodles View Post
the more i listen to ando's triple deluxe/robobot stuff the more bitter i grow that they didn't get him to do something for smash 4, smh
I guess he could have been involved, but I think the main reason he wasn't is because Smash is no longer developed by HAL.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:52 AM

I found a random HAL employee interview with Ando from a few years ago and he mentions that his first project with the company was HyperZone, which otherwise has always been credited solely to Jun Ishikawa.

Looking at the staff credits there is an "EEE H A" credited; I wonder if that's him?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMNintendoGamer View Post
I found a random HAL employee interview with Ando from a few years ago and he mentions that his first project with the company was HyperZone, which otherwise has always been credited solely to Jun Ishikawa.

Looking at the staff credits there is an "EEE H A" credited; I wonder if that's him?
I bet it is. Did the interview specify the role, or just that it was his first project?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 04:20 PM

Well that clears up which mysterious sound team member recorded sounds of their pet chickens for Robobot's final boss! (For my own mysterious reasons, I figured it was him long before seeing that interview.)

Speaking of interviews, evidently both he and Ishikawa were interviewed for a magazine last year: https://www.rittor-music.co.jp/magaz...il/3117122001/

Last edited by waddledoodles; Mar 22, 2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 04:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Did the interview specify the role, or just that it was his first project?
Just that it was his first project as a "sound creator."

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddledoodles View Post
Well that clears up which mysterious sound team member recorded sounds of their pet chickens for Robobot's final boss! (For my own mysterious reasons, I figured it was him long before seeing that interview.)
It seems like he finds a way to bring up chickens whenever he can lmao, it's in multiple profiles of him.

And never forget the chicken shirt
Old Mar 22, 2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
It seems like he finds a way to bring up chickens whenever he can lmao, it's in multiple profiles of him.

And never forget the chicken shirt
Oh lord I thought I was the only one who noticed these things--so when they said an unidentified member of the sound team had chickens, I knew. I just knew.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 01:12 AM

Somehow this English language interview with Hirokazu Ando wasn't linked on VGMdb yet afaik, so putting it here for posterity:

The Music of Kirby: Still Tickling Gamers Pink
Old Jan 18, 2019, 04:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Just noting that I added three more songs to the Melee breakdown post with credits from Smash Ultimate: Ando did Saria's Theme and Fourside and Sakai did Jungle Japes. (Though we did already know Ando did Fourside from the Melee sound team interview.)

I believe this means that we now know the person responsible for every single new arranged stage theme in Melee!