VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 2, 2008, 01:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Does this album belong here? I think the Zillion game is based on the Zillion Anime, not the other way around.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 02:39 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Zillion was originally a laser tag game (as in, actual real life laser tag, not a video game). Sega was responsible for publishing or distribution or something about the game in Japan. After that, a manga and anime followed. I don't know if Sega had anything to do with the manga, but they were involved with the anime; Opa-Opa from Fantasy Zone being a character in the anime is a blatant example.

The first episode of the anime aired on April 12, 1987. The SMS game Zillion was also released in 1987, but I've never been able to find a specific release day, so I don't know which one came out first. All information I've seen points to the game being based on the anime and not vice versa, though. I suppose it's possible development was concurrent.

BIG EDIT:

The music to the game Zillion was written by Tokuhiko Uwabo. The music that plays on the surface of the planet is a chiptune version of the anime OP theme, Pure Stone (track 1 on this album). Now, if Uwabo had written that track first, you'd think his name would appear on this album, but composition credit for it is instead given to Yoshiaki Ohuchi. So, it seems pretty clear that, at the very least, that song preceded the game.

Last edited by CHz; Oct 2, 2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 01:19 PM

Here's the whole story: Sega developed in the 1970's a toy gun which was very popular in Japan. Due to its success, Tatsunoko Productions released an anime series. The game is based in the anime and the Lazer Phaser of the SMS is based on the original design of the toy gun. In the game copyrights it can be read "1987 NTV/Tatsunoko Productions"

Since both the video game Zillion and the Lazer Phaser came after all this, maybe this soundtrack should not be listed here.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:35 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Interesting that even the home version light-gun was based on the design and success of this laser tag game.