VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:51 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Is this album related with VGM?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:54 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Going by the notes, it's not tied to a game. The release type is Works, so that's correct.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:07 AM
VGMdb Advisor

But the Works category isn't designated only for prolific composers or artists primarly known for game music? From what I read in the Duncan McPherson's biography written by himself, he didn't compose any game soundtrack yet.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:13 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I kind of have to question whether the artist or any of his albums should be here, since they don't seem to have any connection to VGM (or other visual arts). They were all added today by the artist, who is apparently 16 years old. Granted I haven't listened to any of them yet.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:22 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, here's hoping he breaks into the VGM scene soon =)
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:15 AM
VGMdb Advisor

But until then I'd better hide these albums because it would allow any artist that published an original work on YouTube submit an entry on VGMdb. The albums even can't be classified as Demo Scene, since don't have chiptunes.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
The albums even can't be classified as Demo Scene, since don't have chiptunes.
Demo Scene is a weird classification anyway to be honest, since it's the only classification where musical style is taken into account... which is highly volatile if it is to be the deciding factor in whether something can be added or not. this release for instance would not be allowed if it were not a chiptune album.

additionally it seems that albums that would otherwise just be called "Works" are called "Demo Scene" if there's a chiptune theme, even if they aren't in any way related to a demo release (and very often these albums aren't, and are just original chiptune albums, like stuff on 8bitpeoples and II.) could just be a misnomer. demo scene definitely != chiptunes, and vice versa. might make more sense to rename it to "Chiptune / Demo Scene" instead.

anyway that's all tangential. maybe the rules for Works submissions need to be clearer? though it's never going to be a black and white issue. how established as a professional or amateur in the wider vgm community do you have to be before your works can be listed? etc.

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; Dec 23, 2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:51 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Does the "Demo Scene" still exist? Functionally we've been using the category for both, so I agree with the name change.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:06 PM

it still exists in a way, with sites like pouet putting stuff out. this for instance isn't chiptune per se, but consists of a demo/executable and music files.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 01:04 PM
VGMdb Advisor

This Demoscene / Chiptunes issue is more complex than imagined. I had been a little hesitant after reading the comment from Liontamer on this old thread, but the albums that I added this category are chiptunes artists (YMCK, Sexy-Synthesizer, KPLECRAFT) who have collaborated on official releases and often performed in game music events, such as EXTRA.

I also agree that the Works classification is quite complex. I don't know if some albums in the database should be catalogued, like this one or the original works from doujin bands.

Anyway, backing to the topic, I think these four albums doesn't fit into any category.

Last edited by Revoc; Dec 23, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 04:47 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I also agree with Revoc.
I don't understand why we should keep these albums..
If it's not chiptune music or not related in any way to video games (nor anime!), it should not be here.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:02 AM

They are original works, based around the genre of video games. I am Duncan McPherson, the composer of the albums, and I decided, since they are available for listening to directly and are in a format that is referred to as an album (a collection of various songs), to add the listings here.

All of the albums are not linked to an existing video game, as stated, and I may be an amateur composer, but I can assure you these are legitimate creative works that are part of the category of video game music, not simply instrumental pieces. Each are based around the mechanics, story and characters of the world that was created for the related album. Might I also add that the albums are all of sufficient lengths to be VG OSTs. They are not, in any way, "spam" albums that will clog up the database with useless information.

One question: What do chiptunes have to do with the songs in any way?

Last edited by Delusional; Dec 30, 2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:39 AM
Trusted Editor

I think video-game inspired albums or "fictional video game" soundtracks fit in the database better than some albums in the "Works" category we include.
It's technically the same as for example http://vgmdb.net/album/16422 just coming from a Western composer.

The only thing I find questionable is the release form. Youtube is primarily a video platform and accepting Youtube content would imply adding e.g. all of Shinji Hosoe's videos as well.
I'm sure there are better platforms for independet musicians looking to compose game music.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:26 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teioh View Post
I think video-game inspired albums or "fictional video game" soundtracks fit in the database better than some albums in the "Works" category we include. It's technically the same as for example http://vgmdb.net/album/16422 just coming from a Western composer.
Wow, I had never heard of this release. But are there many other albums in the database like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teioh View Post
The only thing I find questionable is the release form. Youtube is primarily a video platform and accepting Youtube content would imply adding e.g. all of Shinji Hosoe's videos as well. I'm sure there are better platforms for independet musicians looking to compose game music.
Good point! I fully agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusional View Post
(...) but I can assure you these are legitimate creative works that are part of the category of video game music, not simply instrumental pieces.
I understand your point, but I think it isn't possible to characterize game music only for the music style. Even the game soundtrack structure (opening and ending themes, battle themes, character songs etc..) may be similar to an anime, for example.

Quote:
Each are based around the mechanics, story and characters of the world that was created for the related album.
I suggest you add this information in four albums, because this would legitimize the releases in the database if you consider what Teioh said about fictional games.

Quote:
One question: What do chiptunes have to do with the songs in any way?
Since chiptunes are directly related to video games because they are music composed for sound processor from a gaming system, there are some albums without any involvement of game music composers in the database because it has this type of music. The category Demo Scene is designated for this releases.

Anyway, if it is to maintain the four albums in the database, wouldn't it be better to classify them as Doujin / Fanmade like Inviseal?

Last edited by Revoc; Dec 30, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc
I suggest you add this information in four albums, because this would legitimize the releases in the database if you consider what Teioh said about fictional games.
Very well, I'll write up the storyline progression related to the tracks as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teioh
The only thing I find questionable is the release form. Youtube is primarily a video platform and accepting Youtube content would imply adding e.g. all of Shinji Hosoe's videos as well.
YouTube seemed like a good idea, since it has an very large userbase, and sports many "playlists" and music videos. I was thinking of putting a digital release website up for the albums, where 128 kbps versions would be available for download. However.... After a short discussion with a friend about this, we decided that the site would be too hard to find, and basically impractical for use. The points you make about the release format I understand fully, and as such I'm beginning to rethink my decision about the creation of a site for the albums. Perhaps a proper digital release format would be more accessible, especially through this database.

It'll be tricky, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks for answering my question by the way, Revoc.

And with that, another question: What's the policy on unreleased albums? Anima is one so far, I've been updating the tracks as I create them. Since technically they are impossible to access through a link (yet), and the release date is a simple "2010," does this conflict with any of the rules of archiving in the database?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
However.... After a short discussion with a friend about this, we decided that the site would be too hard to find, and basically impractical for use.
Youtube is really more for videos and advertising. Like the above posters, I think that actually releasing music through it isn't such a good idea. It's great for calling attention to your music, but many people prefer to be able to download MP3s or buy actual CDs.

If you're worried about people finding the site then simply link to it from your Youtube videos. At that point the site won't be any harder to find than your videos and you can release the music in a more practical fashion. It's the best of both worlds!
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
And with that, another question: What's the policy on unreleased albums? Anima is one so far, I've been updating the tracks as I create them. Since technically they are impossible to access through a link (yet), and the release date is a simple "2010," does this conflict with any of the rules of archiving in the database?
Well, unreleased albums (including both releases that were canceled, and entries for upcoming releases) are allowed.

One thing though. I'm not sure there is much informational value in updating the tracklist for your upcoming album until you've got the full tracklist firmly decided. These are all notional, so no one knows what they are before release anyway.