VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:14 PM

This guy is godly based solely on his work on Nier. Can't believe I wasn't familiar with him before. Will be paying attention to his name from now on.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualitydisc.com View Post
This guy is godly based solely on his work on Nier. Can't believe I wasn't familiar with him before. Will be paying attention to his name from now on.
You'd be really happy to know then, that he's also in charge of the music for Nier Automata.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 04:19 AM

Folks should really check out the music he composed for TEKKEN, too. Awesome stuff.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Jun 17, 2016, 07:07 AM

His work on Ace Driver: Victory Lap was also amazing, and I wish he made more music like it.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 04:28 AM

Mini Documentary on him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhTSy9OTWv0
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:51 AM

Was Keiichi Okabe part of SuperSweep at one point? I see him listed under the SuperSweep staff in Xenosaga Freaks's credits (along with Shinji Hosoe, Ayako Saso and Masashi Yano), and he did participate on quite a few arrange albums with the SuperSweep guys during the mid 2000s, although that could just have been through his friendship with Hosoe.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:12 AM
VGMdb Staff

He left Namco in early 2001 and formed MONACA in October 2004. According to MONACA's website, he worked as a freelancer before he created the company.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:26 PM

Yeah, I'm aware he was a freelancer during the time that game came out, although I find it odd how he's listed under the SuperSweep staff there. Either he was part of it so briefly thst he didn't feel it was worth mentioning on his site, or he was never part of it and Monolith just lumped him in with the SuperSweep staff. More likely the latter.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 01:20 PM
VGMdb Staff

It's possible he had a partnership with SuperSweep but wasn't an employee. It's a common practice with music production companies.

In that case, it wouldn't be unusual for him to be credited under the company's name.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 03:18 PM

That’s probably the case then. I guess Takayuki Aihara and Hiroto Saitoh had partnerships with them too.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 06:10 PM

Project contractors is the title commonly used for video game staff that are freelancing but essentially employed for the duration of the work on a specific game. If he's listed as part of SuperSweep the game publisher/developer contracted SuperSweep who in turn contracted him, thus he's listed as part of them.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 04:29 AM

I wonder if it's possible that Okabe switched from full-time to part-time at Namco around 1998? I noticed after that year, his output at Namco slowed down, mostly just a handful of tracks for both versions of Tekken Tag Tournament, while he did more freelance gigs: composing for commercials, remixes and videos. He is also credited on the arrange album L no Kisetsu - The Season of L ~A piece of memories under his real name, when usually in-house composers involved with other companies' games/anime use pseudonyms. His old Monaca profile states he left in 2001 if that is correct, and I have no idea what projects he could've worked on at Namco after TTT (other than one Taiko song, which I don't think he would've spent the whole of 2000 working on); Alpine Racer 3 was done after he left. So the decreased Namco work and increased freelance work makes me suspect he wasn't working full-time at this point.

Things he is known to have worked on during this time frame outside of Namco (excluding hobby work). They're relatively small gigs, but still interesting:

1998:
  • A Xanavi commercial (background music)
  • Sony Vaio composing software (stems; Miyake worked on this too, and told me that Okabe provided this gig to him)

1999:
  • maria / Ross (one remix with DJ Soma)
  • P' / Whoops!! (three songs)
  • L no Kisetsu - The Season of L ~A piece of memories~ (two arrangements)

2000/very early 2001:
  • Yuki Terai: Secrets (Mirror episode; background music)
  • Toppan Printing / Printing Museum exhibition video (background music)
  • Enterbrain sound logo
  • this is who I am / Linnéa (one remix with DJ Soma)

Last edited by fusoxide; Mar 12, 2024 at 08:10 AM.