VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:32 PM

Default [split] Ys -Foliage Ocean in CELCETA- Original Soundtrack

i knew this was going to be terrible but i didn't think it'd be this terrible. and people say falcom was terrible in 1995!

celceta now joins felghana/semo/rpgfan to create the four biggest insults in video game music. i don't even want the game to be good anymore.

(pardon me, but is track 2-13 supposed to be the final boss theme of this and the dawn of ys? if so, what is THE ORDEAL BECOMES GREAT actually used for, because it sounds like the final boss theme)

edit: too easy to assume i'm trolling/stupid/twisted, yes? 1. music was traded for gameplay. felghana's soundtrack--a bunch of completely lifeless background noise--is an insult to that single thing people actually like about ys iii. i'm willing to bet that felghana has ruined even that. 2. i have not read a semo or rpgfan review where any sentence of it was ground in reality.

Last edited by Despatche; Oct 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:50 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
celceta now joins felghana/semo/rpgfan to create the four biggest insults in video game music. i don't even want the game to be good anymore.
Troll much?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:05 AM
Trusted Editor

Wait what, since when the awesomeness of Felghana is an insult? What is this shit really?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:02 AM

Also, just how twisted do you have to be to perceive SEMO and RPGFan as insulting to VGM? Incidentally, I probably wouldn't be here had I not come across the wealth of Gann's Falcom reviews roughly 6 years ago.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:15 PM

/obvious bias

I am disagreeing with this nonsense.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
i have not read a semo or rpgfan review where any sentence of it was ground in reality.
Nor have I. I don't want to comment on the sites being an overall disgrace to VGM but every review I read looked like it was written with the intent of making it a review exactly like the reviews on any pretentious music review site. In the same vein, I've never read even a semi-negative review from either of those sites, and there was a time where I actually went searching for one just to see if I could find one (and not too long ago, within this past year). I'm interested in reading a review in which the reviewer isn't just using all the same bullshit praises every time. To me they just seem like sites where people show off their higher appreciation for music and their talent for writing typical music reviews. Why would I want the opinions of websites who post all positive reviews; their opinions reveal nothing because they like everything.

*shrug*

Anyway, this thread is about some Celceta game's music that comes out next month. Huh. Confusing.

EDIT: Oh wow, I see, there are Youtube links. Battle #58 was god-awful and Burning Sword was decent but generic. Okay, not looking forward to this one.

Last edited by Hellacia; Oct 27, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:29 PM

One of their Subarashiki kono Sekai reviews was indeed a 1 out of 10, and even after they somehow connected to the industry, SEMO still occasionally gives albums a 3. Personally, I'd prefer positivity-oriented reviews. You know it's pretty easy to criticize something and write about why it sucks to us, but instead of churning out those mere negative reviews, they always seem to try to find out something good in any subject, which requires more time and insight than saying "this is samey sounding, so this is shit". Ideally, every opinion should be respected but after all we're human beings and can't help but feeling bad when seeing our own favorites get bashed in an unfair way. Plus, some naysayers often come off as writing/posting negativity for the sake of drawing attention or even trolling, and it quickly gets tired of reading them. If their reviews like everything, then it's good.

Speaking of Ys Celesta, if we're to add a product entry in this site, should it be a remake (release of YsIV)? Or would it deserve a separate entry?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
celceta now joins felghana/semo/rpgfan to create the four biggest insults in video game music. felghana's soundtrack--a bunch of completely lifeless background noise--is an insult to that single thing people actually like about ys iii.
I rated the soundtrack he's talking about 5 stars, one of the extremely few soundtracks I've given that highest rating to, and reading that didn't make me feel bad at all. I don't even understand why it would - why would I feel bad about someone else's opinion? It's their opinion. I just simply don't agree with him. Maybe if it were about my personal work, I would think the guy is an ass, but even then, when you create art, you have to expect some negative feedback. I don't understand why people feel bad when they see someone talk shit about something they like, it just means that person doesn't like it. Who cares. If I tell you my favorite movie is The Notebook and you say that movie sucked, then we're different. If I tell you my favorite food is fried chicken and you say that's disgusting, then we're different. It shouldn't be about being hurt, it should just be about listening to different people's opinions and finding that interesting.

One thing I agree on: there should be more positive reviews than negative reviews. Always. If you find yourself giving more negative feedback than positive feedback about a particular field of music, then you're obviously listening to the wrong kind of music and you should seek out stuff you enjoy more. But at the same time review websites should have more positive reviews, I'd actually like to see more negative ones pop up. I respect the opinions of someone who writes negative reviews 1/5 times more than someone who writes negative reviews 1/100 times, because they don't come off as just "liking everything", they come off as having some kind of actual taste. Let's face it, "I like 99% of what I hear" is not real taste. "I like 80% of what I hear" is far more believable.

Prime example: why do we bother to do weighted ratings here at VGMdb? If some guy goes around giving 5 stars to everything, his ratings are worth less as far as the average goes, right? Well, same for the guy going around giving positive reviews to everything. His opinion is legitimately his, but I'm not going to listen to it nearly as honestly as I will the guy who gives an average of 4 stars to everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
if we're to add a product entry in this site, should it be a remake (release of YsIV)? Or would it deserve a separate entry?
If this game is remade anything like the way Felghana was remade, then it's an entirely new game, it can hardly be considered a remake. At least, that's how Felghana was, it was absolutely its own game. I know nothing about Celceta though.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
Troll much?
Wow, I just noticed this post and realized that you're the same guy that called me a troll when I gave my honest negative opinion about Soukaigi. You just don't have any tolerance for raw honesty at all, do you? You jump to this conclusion way too quickly and you need to chill with the troll shit, any more and I'd think you're the troll, man.

Last edited by Hellacia; Oct 28, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:44 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Prime example: why do we bother to do weighted ratings here at VGMdb? If some guy goes around giving 5 stars to everything, his ratings are worth less as far as the average goes, right? Well, same for the guy going around giving positive reviews to everything. His opinion is legitimately his, but I'm not going to listen to it nearly as honestly as I will the guy who gives an average of 4 stars to everything.
popularity metric
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:21 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
EDIT:

Wow, I just noticed this post and realized that you're the same guy that called me a troll when I gave my honest negative opinion about Soukaigi. You just don't have any tolerance for raw honesty at all, do you? You jump to this conclusion way too quickly and you need to chill with the troll shit, any more and I'd think you're the troll, man.
The Soukaigi thing was one thing. I was aggressive on that, but to be fair, so were you. But I'm not calling Despatche a troll just for disliking the Felghana/Celceta remake music. He also said that *RPGFan* and *SEMO* were two of the *biggest insults to VGM.*

Newsflash: I'm Patrick Gann. RPGFan was basically my life's work for over a decade. There are almost 1600 soundtrack reviews there, and 1000 of them are me. So it goes beyond opinion to insulting thousands of hours of my own labor.

Beyond that, some of my favorite netizens (Don, Chris) are the main guys at SEMO.

So, no, he's a troll and you can drop it.

Last edited by Ramza; Oct 28, 2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Oh, so we do both. Cool, thanks.

Patrick: You're insulted, I just disagree with the use of the word "troll" as it implies that Despatche posted it solely with the intent of invoking negative response rather than it being an expression of his honest feelings. At least, that's what I learned is the definition of "trolling" on the internet. If it's changed since then, well then, I don't know what I'm talking about. Kinda don't think it's changed though. But whatever, I can see why you're personally insulted vs. why you called me a troll for basically no reason. EDIT: I don't mean to defend what he said and I don't agree that those sites are insults to VGM. I just think "troll" is the wrong word here, it's like thinking "ignorant" is an insult for someone you dislike when it really means "one who is not in the know of". Call him a jerk or something similar if you're personally offended.

Last edited by Hellacia; Oct 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:37 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I think the reason I'm comfortable with calling the guy a troll (which, by your definition ... I suppose you're not, though I think at first I did say it because I questioned your motives for saying what you did about Soukaigi ... by now I think I was wrong on that matter!) -- is that he made that statement without ANY backup or reasoning whatsoever.

If I just started a thread randomly back at RPGFan and said in a 3 sentence post that "The Valkyrie Profile OST and vgmdb are the 2 reasons why game music doesn't deserve any respect," knowing that vgmdb admins read that thread but not giving ANY reasoning behind my statement ... what motivation could I possibly have OTHER than trolling?

To make that statement, I'd have to follow it up with SOME KIND of reasoning, right? Whether I knew the site's lead personnel read the statement or not, for the statement to make ANY sense I'd have to at least give an explanation for such an otherwise baseless accusation. The accusation makes no damn sense on its own.

Hence, why I'm prone to believing this guy was just trying to get a rise out of people like myself. And why I played the troll card.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:17 AM

Oh, that's true, he did have to know that members of those sites would be reading that, and he didn't initially give any reasoning as to why he said that (although the statement really came out of complete nowhere altogether). Your example makes sense. Okay, you've defended your accusations well, I recant my somewhat scathing statement on your use of the word "troll" in this situation, though my opinion seems not to matter and I suppose it rightly should not. I opt not to mirror such usage of the word, but see your basis for using it.

EDIT: And Ramza, hopefully you've learned now that if I have something I really want to say about a soundtrack, I'll say it, good or bad Soukaigi is what I can really call a disgrace to VGM, for reasons specifically relating to VGM itself, not just that I dislike the music (I could elaborate but this thread is off-topic enough). I had bad things to say about SaGa Frontier II as well, yes. I've also said good things about Atelier Iris Eternal Mana and Creid, and I've said good things about Eretzvaju and SaGa Frontier in passing. I don't post reviews for reaction, I post them for the same reason anyone else would; to give their honest opinion of something =)

Matron: sorry bro, totally not impressed by any of the songs you linked to. The first one was the most decent, the second one was blah, and the third one was just ugh. Now I have cemented that I will be skipping this soundtrack. But I guess learning this was a good thing.

Last edited by Hellacia; Oct 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:56 PM

@ramza: the purpose of a troll isn't to provoke people?
so the best weapon against that could simply be indifference, no?

despatche is on the chat, come and ask him why if that intrigues you
that makes a while you didn't come btw

edit: ah, he edited his post (if he hadn't said on the chat, I could never know)

Last edited by Phonograph; Oct 28, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Phonograph -- sorry man, haven't even installed an IRC client on this PC since I got it! And I just tried connecting via web browser now, seems like it's not working... looks like I better grab mIRC tonight if I want to join in the festivities before Sandy takes out my power for 48 hours...

As for despatche's edited post -- *edit* -- talking to him in IRC now. It still hurts *deep* but in confronting him, he's at least giving his reasons. So I'll drop it.

Last edited by Ramza; Oct 28, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Nor have I. I don't want to comment on the sites being an overall disgrace to VGM but every review I read looked like it was written with the intent of making it a review exactly like the reviews on any pretentious music review site. In the same vein, I've never read even a semi-negative review from either of those sites, and there was a time where I actually went searching for one just to see if I could find one (and not too long ago, within this past year). I'm interested in reading a review in which the reviewer isn't just using all the same bullshit praises every time. To me they just seem like sites where people show off their higher appreciation for music and their talent for writing typical music reviews. Why would I want the opinions of websites who post all positive reviews; their opinions reveal nothing because they like everything.
"I'm sick of all these reviewers talking about music as if they know things about music and how to write about it." ???

ahahahahahaha what

I've never seen a statement make so little sense, and I saw the earlier guy say SEMO's reviews are never "grounded in reality", which I'm pretty sure is entirely meaningless. Talk about pretentious.

As for never seeing negative reviews, you're not looking hard enough, period. I'm a new writer for SEMO. My first review was an album by Yoko Freaking Kanno and some of the tracks are awful. And not just the Mitsuo Yamamoto ones, either. There are tons of reviews for mainstream soundtracks and things you would consider quite obscure and "underground" that get middling reviews too, so no, that dog won't hunt, sorry.

But beyond that, I get the feeling neither of you really know the first thing about editorial policy or how review sites actually operate. On SEMO at least, different types of material are generally spread out to different reviewers who specilaize in or are interested in different types of music. Don handles most of the newer Japanese stuff and gets exposed to the same composers and development houses, like CAVE and Square. Josh and Simon handle Western stuff, and Chris does a lil of everything because he's siterunner.

Nobody picks and chooses what new thing to handle, so it's not like everybody only does what they're sure to like. It just so happens that our choices of editorial coverage often exposes us to the same couple of composers, and at a certain point, you can be reasonably certain if you're going to like something or not, and conversely, if you're going to agree with a review or not. I despise the western game scores of today, whereas Josh Barron typically showers them with praise. Does that mean he has no taste? No, that's stupid. If anything, it tells me that anything he thinks of an OST, I will likely feel the exact opposite, and that's good, because his review has done its job. His opinion is worth a great deal to me because he's generally positive towards this specific genre.

You know why that old disclaimer "The views and opinions expressed by X are not the views and opinions of Y" exists? Because networks and websites are not hiveminds. It continually boggles my mind how people can assume members of so-and-so review site must all conspire and agree on every single little thing and that the "official" opinion published by one member of the site must naturally be shared by everyone else and thus, we must all like or hate everything. If I were to review, say, Type-0 or Red Dragon or Bastion or Knights of Amalur or Nier or any Western fps or rpg score in the past decade, you'd be seeing 4s and 5s across the board.(Well, maybe a 7 for Nier.) Hilarious irony is, there would still be people kvetching about how I must then hate everything and they should hire someone who will be kinder and more positive to wider swaths of music. There are quite a few OSTs I and a few others could go back and give a second opinion on, but to do so now would be idiotic cause we all have our other obligations and jobs and new releases never stop flooding in.

Why not start your own platform to express your own opinions if you feel sites like SEMO or rpgfan are "too positive" or "too pretentious"? Cause sorry, but none of us are interested in pretending to be harder on shit if we honestly like it just to somehow validate our tastes to some, as to do so would be exactly as dishonest as to think we should like everything just to please readers, and any reviewer who entertains doing either for even a second should be fired.

Last edited by NaotaM; Oct 28, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:08 PM

Just as a disclaimer: Both SEMO and RPGFan have been, er, gracious enough to host negative reviews I've written. I was none too kind to either Chrono Trigger Brink of Time or Star Ocean Till the End of Time Arrange and you'll find plenty of venom in those. But I do have to say, usually, I would write a positive review because *ding* I'm more likely to have listened to the album more and am more willing to revisit it. The only time I've ever felt like contributing negative reviews is when I find the material outright offensive (Brink) or something I feel like I just wasted money on (SO3 Arrage).
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:15 AM

Ramza, I didn't know you were Patrick Gann until a few minutes ago, when I decided to read the last sentence of this post (which I've replied to, btw). Before then, I had no idea why VGMdb kept linking to review sites in the first place (that should tell you quite a bit about me). Nor did I read many of the replies to my post until just now. When a bunch of people came to me in #vgmdb talking about this, I thought they were just responding to my similar rant going on in there; I think that started when someone asked me about it.

This understanding changes nothing. I am not certain that there are "four biggest insults of VGM", but I will insist that Felghana, Celceta, RPGFan, and SEMO are four subjects that are particularly relevant and particularly troubling. Go ahead and call me a troll all you want to; that's not what I'm here for.

I love the original Ys III soundtrack, specifically the X68000 version. I love the SFC version. I love Ryu Yonemitsu and his work. Felghana pales in comparison to all of these things, but it also pales in comparison to Ys Complete, Ys VI, Ys Origin, Ys Seven, and probably all those other recent Falcom works I know nothing of. It is soulless, it is boring, it is empty, and it makes me wish I had any of these other versions by my side, a privelege I can only get by buying the PSP port. Can't just stick with the new Steam release, no; I'll bet it's because no one cares enough.

I either wish I could know why people like it so much so I could stop complaining about it, or I wish Felghana's arranges made me physically ill so I could really complain about it! I hate Felghana, I hate the fangushing over it, and I hate the fact that the game itself is pretty stellar.

The only thing Celceta has shown me so far is that it's the same fucking thing all over again, and even worse in some ways. This is a god damned injustice.

...Concerning RPGFan and SEMO, I will insist that I do not dislike your reviews because of raw opinion. So, I refuse to talk about them again until I've studied every single review and how they relate to each other for hours on end. That's fair...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:32 AM
Trusted Editor

So, you're labeling sites insulting because they have different opinion about music than you? Good luck with life then.

P.S. Felghana is just mindblowing awesome, so is the original tunes. SNES version sucks.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:12 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Ramza, I didn't know you were Patrick Gann until a few minutes ago, when I decided to read the last sentence of this post (which I've replied to, btw).
I find that pretty humorous considering we were in the #vgmdb chatroom together when this blew up last week and I specifically said to you like 3 times, under the handle "Ramza," "I am Patrick Gann and I've written 1000+ soundtrack reviews for RPGFan."

Read more closely.

Otherwise I don't really have beef with you. I understand where you come from and it's fine and you're not exactly a troll. Though a provocateur, certainly you are that.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I wish I could know why people like it so much so I could stop complaining about it
Here here, I want so badly to know why Soukaigi gets so much praise. I honestly do. It's unfathomable to me how anyone can find any inspiration in it. And it seems they really do... I just have NO idea why. It is the most cliche, lifeless, poser VGM I have ever heard. So I totally know how you feel.

So far Celceta sounds pretty bad, but it's definitely not a disgrace to VGM in my opinion, simply because it's just not bad enough. Sure, what I heard is generic and uninteresting and I don't even like the synth quality, but here's one somehow redeeming thing I can say about Celceta's music: it's video game music. It doesn't sound like it was written to be some sort of eclectic musical masterpiece, it sounds like it was written to fit into areas, scenes, and battles in a video game. At the very least, I get some sort of imagery of video game content when I hear the music. When I hear Soukaigi, I get the imagery of Kikuta stroking his musical-genius-peen, and as you can probably guess, that's not pleasant imagery, I don't want to see that when I listen to anything. Just my two cents on this soundtrack though.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:59 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Here here, I want so badly to know why Soukaigi gets so much praise. I honestly do. It's unfathomable to me how anyone can find any inspiration in it. And it seems they really do... I just have NO idea why. It is the most cliche, lifeless, poser VGM I have ever heard. So I totally know how you feel.
We should make a sticky thread so that Hellacia doesn't need to remind us in every single thread about his intense dislike of Soukagi, Saga Frontier, etc.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:44 PM

Oh, well, I agree with Celceta being a weak version of previous Ys soundtrack remakes, but not so much about the Felghana bit They're not trying to legitimize it with real instruments or even realistic sounding synths; VGM is entitled to being performed with whatever instrument suits it, whether it's a sound chip or a philharmonic orchestra. I just dislike the stuff that doesn't even sound like it comes from a game.

I don't own a single "mainstream" or "band" CD (whatever you want to call it), nor could I name but a few songs that bands have done, and it's because that music just doesn't interest me. I also don't own a single film score soundtrack. I hear so much of all that stuff around friends and family, and I remember none of it because it doesn't strike me as inspirational or even interesting. But if I hear fully acoustic game music, it doesn't mean it's not game music - one of my favorite VGM soundtracks of all time is Soul Calibur III - it's all this "folk prog" and "movie score" shit that can take a hike. I'm not disputing your opinion of Felghana, I'm just not a believer that it's trying to "sell out" to audiences outside of VGM by using more modern sounds. My favorite statement: "This song must be good because even my non-VGM friends all liked it." RAAAAAGE. But I don't feel Felghana is trying to do that
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
We should make a sticky thread so that Hellacia doesn't need to remind us in every single thread about his intense dislike of Soukagi, Saga Frontier, etc.
I sense some fanboy rage. Also SaGa Frontier is my favorite VGM soundtrack of all time so it's not only fanboy rage, it's inaccurate drivel hahahaha
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I sense some fanboy rage. Also SaGa Frontier is my favorite VGM soundtrack of all time so it's not only fanboy rage, it's inaccurate drivel hahahaha
If by "fanboy rage", you mean "getting sick of you harping endlessly about your one trite opinion everywhere, no matter the context", then yes. I hate Ishimoto, but that oesn't mean I'll tolerate some jackass whinging about how people could even like The World Ends With You in every thread. We've heard you, we get it. Play a second note, maybe?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:43 AM

I don't mean that at all though, I just mean fanboy rage.

EDIT: I gotta post a non-troll post. Seriously. Because I actually just looked at my post history. I posted about Soukaigi back on May 24. The next time I mentioned Soukaigi was Oct 2, and I didn't say a single negative thing about it, it was referring to the thread conversation in general. After that, I literally cannot find a time I mentioned it until now. So, let's see, after 5 months and over 100 posts later, I've mentioned it once in passing, and once negatively. Man, I just can't drop it, can I.

http://vgmdb.net/forums/search.php?searchid=97631&pp=25

Search yourself.

Oh yeah, and what was that about fanboy rage? Looks like there's two fanboys raging in this thread now. Hi there fanboys
P.S. The context was "disgrace to VGM" and I was making a comparison it wasn't even my original topic you dumbass seriously the internet's full of all kinds of dumb people but you, wow, lmfaooooooo

Last edited by Hellacia; Nov 4, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:25 AM

Claim you don't wank about Soukaigi constantly when a simple search on the forums pins you as the person braying the most about by far in the history of the forums.

Proceed to wank about Soukaigi in hilarious fashion immediately in completely unrelated thread when noone even mentioned you.

LOL Yeah, you sure told me.

Last edited by NaotaM; Nov 4, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:42 AM

I wonder if there are vgmdb rules to prevent a thread be diverted like that
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:55 AM

Prolly should be.

So anyway, how about that Ys- Foilage Ocean in CELCETA.

Really wish I could love something with such a silly title, but I'm not feeling what I've heard in samples or on Youtube. Just feels pretty uninspired. That said...

Quote:
I either wish I could know why people like it so much so I could stop complaining about it
It always irks me when people feel the need to pollute their own statements with useless sentences like this, and more so when said people then wonder angrily and defensively when people label them as trolls. You do realize "Well, it's not THAT good" or "God, why do people even LIKE this?" are not valid critiques or statements of any substance, right? I even agree with you and I find your posts obnoxious.

Why even care that much if other people like it? Are you really that befuddled at the opinions of others or are you just being transparently hyperbolic to make your unpopular stance that much more visible and thus validated?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:14 PM

Anyone who bashes Felghana's OST is a friggin moron.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectZer0 View Post
Anyone who bashes Felghana's OST is a friggin moron.
people have no more the right to hate? you just have to like?
it's not very wise to think that, it's because of that sort of thinking there are wars in the world (imposing a way of thinking)