VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:43 PM

Default ‘Super Mario Bros. 3’ - FULL SCORE

Hello there again,

I completed this project many years ago (2007), but now that I’ve improved using Sibelius, other formatting/design programs, and my overall skill, I decided to redo the whole thing.

Here you go: Click Here!

Enjoy!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:19 AM

Thank you again for your hard efforts. Kondo certainly is fond of certain chords (particularly the sus2), isn't he? I really enjoy looking at this sort of thing.

That said, surely the notation here can be cleaned up a bit. You're using far too many octave transposed clefs, and in Fortress, the right hand part is consistently below the left, which makes for confusing reading. Also, this is extremely pedantic, but in the Ending, measures 7 and 8 after the tempo change should be repeated in score, rather than by using a bar line, because the phrase is 4 bars, not 2; that would also help clear up the notation.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:43 PM

I'm not a very experienced pianist. I thought it would look cleaner using a transposed clef rather than an 8va several bars long.

Also, I thought it would be better this way, because I want to keep the original pitch intact. Crossing lines on one instrument (piano), will obviously be present, to which you could ignore the tenor clef.

Anyway, I could use your advice, yes.

EDIT: Something went wrong with some parts regarding octaves. Fortress doesn't need a tenor clef to keep the original pitch intact.

Last edited by Manolito Mystiq; Dec 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:38 AM

Thumbs up

Hey there. What you did is quite cool and useful.

However, something that strikes me is your weird grouping of 1/8 notes, like in "Music Box". Imho it would be much better readable if you grouped them in a usual way (like 4 + 4) and, if at all, put an accent on the first notes of the current grouping. I see why you put them like that, but - to me - that's super-unusual. (Also, it doesn't fit the rythm in the 7th bar.)

Furthermore, in "Airship", you've left out most of triplets' "3"s (which looks a bit like the unusual way of grouping 1/8 notes again).

Nevertheless, your score is very nice and I fully appreciate it. Aside from that: Cute front and back covers. Maybe I'll print it in colors?

[It would be even better if the entries in the table of contents were linked to the respective pages of the document.]

Last edited by SailorB; Jan 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the comments. I will resolve those issues.

One thing, though. Indeed, as I mentioned earlier, I use a lot of octave clefs, rather than 8va and/or 8vb signs. I guess I should go for the latter, though? Wouldn’t that look rather tiresome, having a sign with a line that under or above a very long part?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito Mystiq View Post
Thanks for the comments. I will resolve those issues.

One thing, though. Indeed, as I mentioned earlier, I use a lot of octave clefs, rather than 8va and/or 8vb signs. I guess I should go for the latter, though? Wouldn’t that look rather tiresome, having a sign with a line that under or above a very long part?
I think it's clearer. I don't expect to find octave-transposed clefs except in choral music. In piano music they're very rare.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:17 AM

Wink

Well, I’ll ‘make’ them popular. My transcriptions will set a new standard!!!

Tags
koji kondo, music, super mario bros