VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 28, 2020, 12:05 PM

I have not received the limited edition yet so where does that composer/arranger breakdown come from ??

ACE+ and Yoko Shimomura are listed as composers and arrangers for track 9 "A Tragic Decision" but it was originally composed by ACE+ only.
Also, Tsutomu Narita as an arranger for this track ?? He isn't even cited in the credits featured at the end of Future Connected (but they may not be the credits of the full remaster).

And why isn't there composition/arrangement credits for the new Future Connected tracks (11 and 12) ?
Old May 28, 2020, 12:50 PM
Trusted Editor

There are no credits on the release itself, so credits were taken from the original CD soundtrack release submission on here.

I am in no way super familiar with the artists involved for this, so please make changes and adjustments if something is incorrect.
Old May 28, 2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbtz View Post
There are no credits on the release itself, so credits were taken from the original CD soundtrack release submission on here.

I am in no way super familiar with the artists involved for this, so please make changes and adjustments if something is incorrect.
The main game's tracks featured in this release (1-10) are all brand new arrangements so in that case we should not credit any arrangers.
And there are indeed some mistakes even if we consider the original game's credits (Shimomura and Narita weren't involved with composition and/or arrangement for track 9 in the original game).

The only thing we can say for now would be the following :

Quote:
Tracks 1, 2 composed by Yoko Shimomura

Tracks 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 composed by ACE+

Tracks 5, 10 composed by Manami Kiyota
EDIT : I edited album info with what I said

Last edited by Mentalo; May 28, 2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old May 28, 2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalo View Post
The main game's tracks featured in this release (1-10) are all brand new arrangements so in that case we should not credit any arrangers.
And there are indeed some mistakes even if we consider the original game's credits (Shimomura and Narita weren't involved with composition and/or arrangement for track 9 in the original game).

The only thing we can say for now would be the following :

EDIT : I edited album info with what I said
Agreed that no arrangers should be credited yet.

However, we do know from an interview with Tetsuya Takahashi that no cut-scene BGM has been re-done, with the sole exception of Engage the Enemy:
Quote:
Next, how only some of the music tracks in the game are new recordings is pointed out, and Takahashi is asked how they chose said tracks. He says that as a remaster, there were limitations on how much they could do, and this also applied to the music, meaning they could not have an orchestra perform new recordings for every track in the game.

Thus, they ranked the tracks by priority, and did new orchestral recordings for high-priority field and battle tracks, while using other methods such as remixing or using new digital files to improve others. Takahashi also says that the compression rate for music tracks is lower than that of Xenoblade 2’s, resulting in improved sound quality.

As tracks for cutscenes were made to match said cutscenes, modifying them would result them in having to edit the cutscenes as well, and so they used the original versions. However, Engage the Enemy alone is a new recording due to its popularity and how no editing would be required.
source

I'm interested to know who got to compose the new field music for Bionis' Shoulder and whatever else the new scenario required. It's clear from the disc titles that someone arranged Shimomura's main battle theme into a new one for the new field (for all we know it could have been Shimomura herself).
Old May 28, 2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Agreed that no arrangers should be credited yet.

However, we do know from an interview with Tetsuya Takahashi that no cut-scene BGM has been re-done, with the sole exception of Engage the Enemy:

source
Another exception is "A Tragic Decision" (but it can also be considered as a battle song so this may be why Takahashi did not talk about it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I'm interested to know who got to compose the new field music for Bionis' Shoulder and whatever else the new scenario required. It's clear from the disc titles that someone arranged Shimomura's main battle theme into a new one for the new field (for all we know it could have been Shimomura herself).
I could bet my money on ACE for the Bionis' Shoulder theme. It has a lot of similarities with the Kingdom of Torna and Leftheria field themes.
And the Nintendo of Europe twitter account confirmed "Time to Fight! (Bionis' Shoulder)" refers to the main battle theme for the new epilogue which is absolutely NOT an arrangement of Shimomura's "Time to Fight!". I think they just re-used the name, as they did with "Battle!! (Torna)" and "Battle!!" from Xenoblade 2. Oh and Hiramatsu is most likely responsible of this track since he tweeted about it, which is quite surprising ! I first thought it was an ACE track. He never ceases to impress me with his battle themes !
Old May 29, 2020, 02:47 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
That makes good sense. I didn't know that these are all new arrangements.
Old May 29, 2020, 04:45 AM

I still haven't received my limited edition but a friend has sent me a screen of the downloadable version of the European sound selection. And it turns out that it has more tracks than the vinyl ! Actually, that's the same tracklist than the Australian CD (and maybe the Japanese ? I haven't found its tracklist yet).
And it also seems to have composers credits under the "artist" tag !

Sadly, the ACE+ main game songs credits still aren't separeted between ACE and Kenji Hiramatsu.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
I still haven't received my limited edition but a friend has sent me a screen of the downloadable version of the European sound selection. And it turns out that it has more tracks than the vinyl ! Actually, that's the same tracklist than the Australian CD (and maybe the Japanese ? I haven't found its tracklist yet).
And it also seems to have composers credits under the "artist" tag !
Yeah, they all have the same tracklist excluding the Vinyl itself. Each regional variant should be listed as a child album of the Japanese CD (this page). Thanks for the image, by the way, I was looking for something like that.

Quote:
Sadly, the ACE+ main game songs credits still aren't separeted between ACE and Kenji Hiramatsu.
Huh that's... interesting. My credits are more or less the same, but Kenji Hiramatsu is credited separately for some tracks such as Engage the Enemy and Central Factory (which we know he worked on because of the Xenoblade 2 OST webpage). It was taken from the Gracenote database though, I think, and I'm not sure how reliable it is since users can submit their own tracklists and metadata. It's a bit inconsistent though, since it credits ACE+ for the older XC1 tracks while crediting Hiramatsu separately for his tracks, and then strictly ACE for their Future Connected tracks.

That said, it was the only tracklist there so I can't say for sure whether it's trustworthy. I've had new CDs come with no tracklists detected on Gracenote before so I've had to manually enter all the metadata on my own, but I find it interesting that the Australian CD drew metadata which was in Japanese (although this isn't anything that hasn't happened before).

Really hoping we get a full OST release at some stage. I'd imagine every composer remastered their own tracks since all 6 of them returned for Definitive Edition, but there's no way to know for sure.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBgov1133 View Post
I'd imagine every composer remastered their own tracks since all 6 of them returned for Definitive Edition, but there's no way to know for sure.
Manami Kiyota wrote about recording Xenoblade Definitive Edition:
https://note.com/manamikiyota/n/na7dd0237be3f
Quote:
In DE, I re-recorded & rearranged all the field music I composed in the original version.
She specifically mentions in Alcamoth Night,
Quote:
オリジナル版では夜のアレンジはACEさんにやって頂いたのですが、今回は私が自分でアレンジさせて頂きま した。
so the arranger credits are indeed different from the original soundtrack.

Last edited by yindesu; Jul 16, 2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 11:40 PM

Has there been any word on full release for the definitive edition OST?
Old Oct 31, 2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentis View Post
Has there been any word on full release for the definitive edition OST?
Not to my knowledge...