VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:59 AM

This is the best news I've gotten all day. Now, since they seem to have their own label, let's hope Opoona is also released one day...
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Full composer breakdown in the booklet please.

And yes, Opoona as well. Go go Basiscape!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:34 AM

Any word on which stores will be stocking this?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:45 AM
Trusted Editor

I have listened to the gamerip of this one, and a original soundtrack release is REALLY good news!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Any word on which stores will be stocking this?
Amazon Japan is taking preorders:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...=AN1VRQENFRJN5
Old Feb 9, 2010, 09:05 AM

Does anyone know who did this english translation? It seems a bit vague compared to the Japanese. I did a translation myself, and would gladly post it, but if the current translation's been well established or is official, I'll at least set it up as another tracklist. I'd of course be open to feedback on my translation, but if no one's opposed, I guess I'll post it in a few days.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masahiro7 View Post
Does anyone know who did this english translation? It seems a bit vague compared to the Japanese. I did a translation myself, and would gladly post it, but if the current translation's been well established or is official, I'll at least set it up as another tracklist. I'd of course be open to feedback on my translation, but if no one's opposed, I guess I'll post it in a few days.
I know some websites have already used that WIP tracklist, but go ahead. The reason why I kept it undefault and waited for another is because I was't sure everybody agreed with the philosophy behind it. That is, shorter was better. I wasn't so in favor of literally translating those four-character compounds, especially when they weren't so deeply connected to the game. 鏡花水月 (Kyouka Suigetsu) standed for the scene where flowers reflected on a mirror and the moon reflected on the surface of the water, but it was a bit too long and what's worse, if abbreviated, I doubted anybody got what it wanted to say. I tried to grasp the essence of them within a few words, hence the vaguness.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
The reason why I kept it undefault and waited for another is because I was't sure everybody agreed with the philosophy behind it. That is, shorter was better.
My translation is just using the opposite philosophy of translating the four character compounds, with little regard to song track length (not literal translations of course), for I think (approximately) four word titles better reflect the tone of the original japanese. I am also unsure as to whether this is inherently better, and what other's beliefs are, but I do think that some of the shortenings you use, such as 鏡花水月 as Untouchable Beauty and 折花攀柳 as Womanizing (that one seemed especially odd, baring a misunderstanding of the original japanese on my part; does Folded Flowers, Climbing Willow seem that off?) did somewhat lose the original meaning. I suppose I'll make my changes and keep the WIP annotation to the tracklist?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I am also unsure as to whether this is inherently better, and what other's beliefs are, but I do think that some of the shortenings you use, such as 鏡花水月 as Untouchable Beauty and 折花攀柳 as Womanizing (that one seemed especially odd, baring a misunderstanding of the original japanese on my part; does Folded Flowers, Climbing Willow seem that off?) did somewhat lose the original meaning.
折花攀柳 literally means folding flowers and climbing willow so it's on, but I'm not in favor of literally translating those four character compounds. When you look up this word in a Japanese dictionary, it says "going to Hanamachi and playing with geisha girls" or such, and I doubt people could associate "Folded Flowers, Climbing Willow" with this meaning. Hanamachi was an red-light area of the ancient Japan (I know this was an oversimplification, but still), so Womanizing was my translation but given my very poor vocabulary, I think there could have existed a better word. Likewise, I didn't translate 鏡花水月 as "Flowers reflected on a mirror and the moon reflected on the surface of the water" but "Untouchable Vision" or "Indescribable Beauty" (my current take is between them).

That being said, as I stated, I'm not sure so many agree with my philosophy (avoid redundancy while maintaining the essence of the words) so it has remained undefault (for good?). If you submit yours as a new tracklist I'll remove mine unless two unofficial tracklists are allowed.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
When you look up this word in a Japanese dictionary, it says "going to Hanamachi and playing with geisha girls" or such, and I doubt people could associate "Folded Flowers, Climbing Willow" with this meaning.
I certainly wouldn't have known that, which does suggest that some of my titles may certainly be too literal. Are you using a particular four-character combination dictionary (might it be an online one I could look at)? In other situations though, I think you can translate more literally without the titles going too long. I've translated 鏡花水月 not as "Flowers reflected on a mirror and the moon reflected on the surface of the water" but as "Floral Mirror, Watery Moon", which again, is not perfect, but captures the essence of the four character combination (which makes it, thus, not too long) and doesn't stray too far from the original meaning.

Anyways, I think what I will do is modify the current (your?) list, keeping the work in progress title, and invite you to modify it in turn, especially for anything I may have taken too literally (邯鄲之夢 is another one I was unsure of, as it seemed like it may have been an old version of simple (kantan) dreams, but being unable to find an example of this, I simply put "Dreams of Kantan", and would never have gotten "vicissitude" out of that).

Thanks for your prompt explanations, and I hope you'll like my translations.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:52 AM

Well, 邯鄲 is the name of a Chinese location so "Dreams at Handan" is correct for a literal translation. 邯鄲之夢 is indeed a reference to one short episode from Chinese old folklore. I remember I was torn between "Fragility" and "Vicissitudes", but now I think I selected the wrong one. With regard to 折花攀柳, you can consult online dictionaries (like this) which state its transferred meaning is "going to Hanamachi and playing with girls", but "Folded Flowers, Climbing Willow" is still correct for a verbal translation.

For the sake of consistency, however, I'm not sure if we should mix two conflicting criteria (literal and liberal) and replace some of your translations which you worry are too literal. I also don't think I'm in a good position to check your translation especially since you have better language skills, pursuit intonation or such and try to keep them in four words, but it's up to you.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm with Cedille in this one. In your example "Floral Mirror, Watery Moon", while it does sounds nice it makes me think of mirrors and moons or something? Not really the intended meaning, fleeting/illusionary beauty and such. Unless they are familiar with the original idiom most people aren't going to get it, I think.
Though personally I'd use two words for all the tracks to keep the "flow style" and consistency :P, some sound a bit abrupt to me, ex Murderous -> Murderous Atmosphere, Dusky -> Dim Twilight and such, just minor touches.

I'd keep Cedille's translation as default, it looks fine to me, and you could add another "English (literal)" translation, nothing wrong with that. (btw you can see who submitted a translation right at the end)

A couple of coments while we are at it:
一陽来復 / Return of Spring: I understand it means "return of a good period/luck (spring) after a bad period/luck (winter). Maybe something along the lines of "Fortune Returning" would fit more?
千紅万紫 / Colorful Flowers: nothing wrong really but seems more like "a multitude of colors", related to this one: 千紫万紅

Btw... LOL @ Kamitani NSFW image... what was he thinking?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:30 PM

I've submitted a new tracklist for literal translations (and fixed a small typo in the current english). Whether the two lists should be integrated into one, kept separate, or if mine should be deleted, I don't know, but I invite everyone to give feedback, and edit the list as you see fit.

If anything, this discussion has enlightened me to the fact that many of my translations are missing far too much meaning in the literal approach, but I decided to keep everything literal for better and worse, in the list I uploaded (for the sake of comparison). I believe that a few translations I did may better represent the songs (in particular I think that 合縁奇縁 is rather nicely stated as "Fated Meetings, Mysterious Fates" rather than "Uncanny Relationship"), but I leave that for you to judge.

Last edited by Masahiro7; Feb 10, 2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:48 AM

I didn't know it was allowed, but I agree having multiples tracklists is the best solution. I really appreciated the suggestions and feedback and finished my tracklist. I'll let others decide what has to be default, and of course, improve mine. Note: I ended up using 'beauties' 6 times, but they really dealt with beauties of something. Some tracks even shared very similar meanings (栄枯盛衰/夢幻泡影 or 焦眉之急/危急存亡), too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Btw... LOL @ Kamitani NSFW image... what was he thinking?
Once the first press bonus box that wraps this art runs out... *shudder* (considering this album sells relatively well for VGM despite the belated release, the limited distribution and the game's moderate domestic sale, I think it comes before long)

Quote:
I believe that a few translations I did may better represent the songs (in particular I think that 合縁奇縁 is rather nicely stated as "Fated Meetings, Mysterious Fates" rather than "Uncanny Relationship"), but I leave that for you to judge.
"Uncanny Relationship" was a suggestion by multiple online dictionaries like this one, but what this wants to say is whether people can get along well or not is pretty much affected by a fate so my poor vocabulary now abbreviates it as "Fated Relationship".
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:44 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Artwork is amazing. Is the artist known ?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki View Post
Artwork is amazing. Is the artist known ?
George Kamitani, the president of Vanillaware.

Speaking of the OP, Opoona is coming, apparently.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:59 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Ooh, same guy as Odin Sphere. Must get artbooks ...
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:24 PM

She's one lucky woman.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
George Kamitani, the president of Vanillaware.

The day that happens, a crime against VGM will have been absolved. I look forward to that day immensely.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Source plz.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
Source plz.
The latest issue of Nintendo Dream has an interview with Tsubasa Yasuoka (a new Basiscape A&R or such) and he states they plan to release Opoona and Terra Diver (Soukyugurentai).
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:32 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
The latest issue of Nintendo Dream has an interview with Tsubasa Yasuoka (a new Basiscape A&R or such) and he states they plan to release Opoona and Terra Diver (Soukyugurentai).
Sakimoto confirmed this on Twitter a few hours ago:
Quote:
we are going to publish Opoona and 蒼穹紅蓮隊 OSTs in this year. plz wait for info on our website. RT @DonKotowski
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:38 PM

mmmm yummy

What's the second one?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It's Soukyugurentai.
Old May 27, 2010, 02:20 PM
VGMdb Advisor

News update: the "Press Start 2010" concert will feature music from Oboro Muramasa!
http://www.famitsu.com/famiweb/pressstart/menu.html
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:02 AM

Shouldn't the display title of this be Muramasa: the Demon Blade Original Soundtrack now that the localization is widely known and used?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 06:31 AM

I think that's where a submitter has discretion like whether or not to change all-caps titles. I initially changed the display title to your suggestion, but reverted it later, in accordance with other entries (Akumajo, Sekaiju no MeiQ and Gyakuten). A recent poll also implied that it was minority who preferred to use an US/EU title as the display (and I was one of the three).
Old Feb 12, 2011, 07:39 PM

I am just coming in to say that the track title translation is quite good!

Although some titles look a bit strange to me (like "Poor Meal", cos I would like to use the word "frugal"), but I am not quite sure about the differences in meanings between Chinese and Japanese even in the same (or similar) word... I may need to check them again before commenting in detail.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:58 PM

Curious to know: Are these track titles that're listed just the Romanized Japanese?

Are these proper names, e.g., proper nouns, or are there English equivalents?

Also, for those who've played the game, does the sequence of the tracks on the album fit the sequential order in which they're first heard in the game, or are the tracks just randomly dispersed amongst the 3 discs?

Any answers would be appreciated!
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:23 PM
Trusted Editor

For that tracklist question, check the tracklist again, you should see 4 tabs:
* Romaji
* English
* English (Literal)
* Japanese