VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:26 AM

Default SUMMER ANIME SEASON 2014 - LIST OF COMPOSERS

Summer anime season almost here - I think that list contains almost all anime series and few short anime series. For me is return of Yasunori Iwasaki & Tsuneyoshi Saito best news in this season.

SUMMER ANIME SEASON 2014

Nakagawa is scoring mecha so it could be promising but give him real orchestra for once! PV

I like this short music clip from Tokyo Ghoul PV

All the best
Porter

Last edited by Porter; Jun 4, 2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 09:55 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for the list, there are some really interesting names indeed.

Personally, I can't wait for more Sawano

EDIT: Yasuhiro Misawa is doing Sabagebu!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 02:35 AM

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance: YASUYOSHI SUZUKI
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:55 AM

This looks to be a very promising season. Lots of big name in there.

Taku Iwasaki- To be honest I haven't been to thrilled about his latest work. Norgami had no orchestra and while The Irregular has his usual melodic genius in select pieces (especially in a lovely romantic cue played in the beginning of the first episode) it's mostly forgettable and tedious to listen too for me. Akame ga Kill!! which is a very dark and action heavy show could be a step in the right direction for Taku. It could very well bring out the best or possibly the worst in him depending on how he decides to go about it. High expectations as of now.

HIROYUKI SAWANO- Sawano doing another mech show eh? I think Unicorn is his second best work losing only to Gigantic Formula which contains hints that Sawano is capable of composing much more contemporary style if he wanted too. One thing I've noticed though is that Sawano seems to get picked for all the EXTREMELY overhyped shows every season these days. Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill and now Aldnoah.Zero. I suppose that signifies the amount of excitement he is able to protrude into his works lol :P

YASUHARU TAKANASHI- As horrible as this may sound I never watched Sailor Moon once during my childhood......

Not because I hated it or anything I just never did end up seeing it. So there is a high chance that I'll be watching the remake. I'm actually not expecting much from Takanashi on this though. Predicting a very precureish style so I'm hoping he'll be able to show us something new with this one.

YUKI HAYASHI - I think this guy is seriously underrated. He's still very new to the composing scene so he still has a lot to learn but there is a lot of potential for him to possibly become a Taku 2.0 ;P (that's an exaggeration but a boy can dream!).

That said he doesn't really get that much of a budget to work with on most of his works. Gundam Build Fighters really let him show off his stuff but Robotics;Notes still trumps it imo. DRAMAtical Murder sounds like it will be rather techno heavy but I'll still be looking forward to it.

TATSUYA KATO- Interesting that last season is the first time we haven't seen good old Tatsuya show up in a long time lol. But he seems to be back in full force with two shows (again....) this season both being sequels. Both of their first seasons had decent music but nothing spectacular.

YOKO KANNO- Girl hasn't had an anime album with her as the head composer for years. Looking for this to be the biggest gem of the season!

KOTARO NAKAGAWA- It's always good to hear from Nakagawa.........but judging from the PV it sounds like it will be another "The unlimited" and "devil survivor 2". This man does not deserve this kind of unjust treatment =/. Give him a budget!

Last edited by leatherhead333; Jun 13, 2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:33 AM

5 years is something "still very new" ?
hayashi started after sawano but they've the same age (at 3 months or so)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:55 AM

I'm talking about the anime scene. Collectively speaking Yuki hasn't composed very much for anime. Don't know about dramas but it seems he hasn't been active in the business for very long.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 07:45 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead333 View Post
Don't know about dramas but it seems he hasn't been active in the business for very long.
DramaWiki entry
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:38 AM
VGMdb Staff

As usual, not a whole lot going on for summer.

I'm curious to see what style of music Kanno goes with for Terror in Resonance and why she went out to Iceland to record it.

Aside from that, I'm interested in whatever Mitsuda is doing for the new season of Black Butler. Should be his first anime soundtrack where he isn't paired up with another composer.

Btw, I don't think KanColle is airing this season. They were aiming for a summer broadcast but considering there's two weeks left in June and they haven't announced an air date, it's safe to say it's been delayed to October.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:33 AM

I think that Yoshiaki Fujisawa is also promising composer, his score for Akuma no Riddle is interesting and Rail Wars could have some interesting action pieces.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:53 AM

nextday: you don't count pugyuru?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:56 PM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, I don't count it since it's just one of those short 5 minutes per episode shows.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Interesting how many of those scores are actually collaborations with Sawano. They must be close buddies :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
I think that Yoshiaki Fujisawa is also promising composer, his score for Akuma no Riddle is interesting and Rail Wars could have some interesting action pieces.
Oh I forgot about him. Have you listened to Uchoten-Kazoku? There were some great pieces in that one as well and it's the score that originally got me very interested in him.

Last edited by leatherhead333; Jun 13, 2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 05:03 AM
VGMdb Staff

Jinsei - Hidehiro Kawai

All that's left now is Sengoku Basara Judge End, which won't be by Sawano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead333 View Post
Interesting how many of those scores are actually collaborations with Sawano. They must be close buddies :P
They work for the same company. Asami Tachibana too.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:16 AM

No love for Kenji Kawai? Personally I'm looking forward to his Barakamon soundtrack a lot – I've growed quite attached to his music after watching Seirei no Moribito, and Barakamon looks really promising (in a peaceful way).

I'm curious about Yoko Kanno's soundtrack, too. I love her and really think she is one of the most talented composers out there, but I don't enjoy her jazzy works so much just because I'm not too much into jazz.

As for Sawano: While he certainly has his share of epicness, I think he doesn't entirely deserve the hype. This might be an unjustified accusion, though, since I've only listened to his Shingeki no Kyojin soundtrack as well as a couple of pieces from Kill la Kill and some single tunes from other animes. Personally, I thought he lacked variety throughout his works. A bit like Motoi Sakuraba or Yuki Kajiura, many of his pieces sound the same no matter where you hear them. (It doesn't help that he mostly composes for the biggest mainstream anime of the respective seasons, either.) I find it important that a soundtrack has an identity that makes you connect it with one anime and not only one composer.

Last edited by Blackiris; Jun 18, 2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 09:53 AM
VGMdb Administrator

New PV for Akame ga Kill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOle_TmHE_A

Like leatherhead I didn't particularly care for Iwasaki's latest works (mainly Mahouka, Noragami was at least enjoyable) but this sounds promising. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by Illidan; Jun 20, 2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:25 PM
VGMdb Staff

Terror in Resonance sounds very promising: http://terror-in-tokyo.com/ost.html

I never get tired of hearing Kanno try new styles of music.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 07:21 AM

Still no info about new Basara anime series composer.

BTW Who will get the job or better got? Please share your tips.

Probably: R. Nakanishi (only one anime show this season)
My wish: M.Amano, T.Negishi, K.Miyake, T.Asakawa, T. Hattori
Old Jun 24, 2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackiris View Post
As for Sawano: While he certainly has his share of epicness, I think he doesn't entirely deserve the hype. This might be an unjustified accusion, though, since I've only listened to his Shingeki no Kyojin soundtrack as well as a couple of pieces from Kill la Kill and some single tunes from other animes. Personally, I thought he lacked variety throughout his works. A bit like Motoi Sakuraba or Yuki Kajiura, many of his pieces sound the same no matter where you hear them. (It doesn't help that he mostly composes for the biggest mainstream anime of the respective seasons, either.) I find it important that a soundtrack has an identity that makes you connect it with one anime and not only one composer.
You and I are totally on the same page. This is Sawano in a nutshell. At least with Sakuraba, you can tell it's Sakuraba--there's no mistaking his sound. Even Kajiura is recognizable to the extent that everything she does is so utterly simplistic and often melodramatic. Sawano, on the other hand, there's just no signature style, nothing that is recognizably "Sawanoan" in his music.

And I'm with you on Kawai, too. He's great--one of the true trailblazers of Japanese media scoring.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:47 PM

While I can agree that Sawano is indeed overhyped I do not think him not having his own recognizable style is necessarily true. No one abuses the hell out of an overblown orchestra like him. A lot of his tracks tend to have that completely unsubtle buildup where everything goes silent which leads a an incredibly bombastic opening melody. It's easy to pick him out though that being said I've already listened to basically all of his albums so i know what his tendencies are. But Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill still sound like two different animals to me. Attack on Titan has a much darker and brooding tone with a handful of cheesy vocal numbers giving the overwhelming presence the titans had in the show MUCH more definition. Meanwhile Kill la Kill was constantly upbeat with many jamming guitar/string numbers mixed with a heavy dose of electronica.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 02:49 AM

Sengoku Basara "Judge End" - Tokuda Masahiro (得田真裕)
http://one-music.jp/tokuda/index.html

Interesting young composer working mostly in drama scene. I am enjoying his collaboration with Yugo Kanno on score for Hanasaki Mai ga Damatteinai (TV Series)
Old Jul 18, 2014, 07:06 AM

Majimoji Rurumo - マニュアル・オブ・エラーズ (Manual of Errors)
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/マニュアル・オブ・エラーズ
http://www.manuera.com/ - official site

Also available little preview for fall and winter season 2014:
http://animescorenews.blogspot.sk/20...me-season.html

Last edited by Porter; Jul 18, 2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 05:49 AM

I wonder if there will have composer details for majimoji rurumo since MOE isn't a composer but a label/agency/whatever of composers
Old Jul 27, 2014, 08:37 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
Also available little preview for fall and winter season 2014:
http://animescorenews.blogspot.sk/20...me-season.html
Fate/stay night is by Hideyuki Fukasawa

New PV here, they're going with UBW apparently with Heaven's Feel coming later as movie(s?).
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:14 AM

Added to list of summer anime series soundtrack CD overview. There are 24 series with soundtrack from 36.

Series without soundtrack release:
Akame ga Kill!!
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma*Illya 2wei
Hanayamata
Jinsei (Bonne Vie)
Momokyun Sword
Nobunaga Concerto
Shounen Hollywood – Holly Stage for 49-
PriPara

Last edited by Porter; Sep 8, 2014 at 08:27 AM.