VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 14, 2011, 04:16 PM

There are some sample videos for some of the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfy-kQwTElU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVsw34Dk8l8

On the second video, two of the tracks have vocals by "Emi Evance." I'm sure it's a typo, but I asked her to be certain, but it does sound like her.

EDIT: It is her, so I've added her to the performers.

Last edited by Don; Sep 14, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:56 PM
Trusted Editor

This is really good news! I just hope that we're still going to see some official release. I mean, come on... the last official release of a Ace Combat OST was in 2007 (Fires of Liberation).
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
EDIT: It is her, so I've added her to the performers.
Just to note the youtube pages reveals more performers than just her.

I didn't credit Jesahm as a composer, since it's not confirmed he composes music, but it's likely. I'm really happy that Nakanishi finally stops composing music here. If only Okubo would have gone as well...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I'm really happy that Nakanishi finally stops composing music here. If only Okubo would have gone as well...
Ehh.. I'm a big fan of Nakanishi and Okubo so I was hoping they both came back. But I'm more into the electronica, ambient-ish styles (i.e. Ace Combat 2, 3, 04), so that's probably why I'm biased. lol. Although, Kobayashi's Ace Combat Zero tunes are my favorite as well. But anyway, I can't get greedy because Ridge Racer (Vita) will balance that out.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:57 AM

can anybody provide a link to the amazon.co.jp version that includes the soundtrack?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 01:15 PM

Free soundtrack from Best Buy with pre-order. I'm not sure what version of the OST this is, however...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at253700050014
Old Oct 6, 2011, 01:28 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
This epic and moving soundtrack features 18 original tracks and over 75 minutes of music.
Should be this one then:
http://vgmdb.net/album/26032
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:28 AM

I'm adding scans, but I can't transcribe the credit until I finish the game, as I plan to hold off on listening to the soundtrack and even reading the booklets (of course anyone is welcomed to do so instead) - I just want to enjoy everything within the context first, and even a bit regret hearing the youtube samples briefly.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
I'm really happy that Nakanishi finally stops composing music here. If only Okubo would have gone as well...
So... you hate Ace Combat music? Then why get excited for this pile of Hollywood-sounding crap?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Ito View Post
So... you hate Ace Combat music? Then why get excited for this pile of Hollywood-sounding crap?
Nah, the series has definitely leaned in a more cinematic direction since AC5, but the composer team (especially Kobayashi and Nakatsuru) had always brought something that didn't just fall into a pale imitation of film scores, and that's why I was a big fan of the music of this series. If you're talking about Assault Horizion in particular, I don't disagree that tracks like "Pipeline" or "Horizon" would qualify as a Hollywoord sounding crap, but some tracks from Kobayashi and Hamamoto still represent there is more to here than such, and I think it's improved from AC6, if slightly. Also, I can certainly see a bright future for this series, if Shiina and Hamamoto will contribute more, not Gem Impact nor Inon Zur.

Anyways I will try to add the rest of credits by the weekend.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:23 PM
Trusted Editor

Hmm, I don't know how to exactly handle this:
The booklet credits Northwest Sinfonia and Northwest Sinfonia & Choir separately. The artist page for NWS (http://vgmdb.net/artist/1410) however seems to alias them.

So, should I just set the ID to 1410 for Northwest Sinfonia & Choir?

Ah yes, another thing. The string quartet on disc 3. So usually we should have 2 violins, 1 viola and a cello, right?

Yuya Yanagihara -> violin
Mikiyo Kikuchi -> viola
Naoko Ishibashi -> violin

So we're looking for a cello here. Could it be that Mayumi Horisawa is actually him?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more, i really don't like this new direction the series' music went, starting with AC6.

I miss that gracefulness and character AC1,2,4,5 and Zero are known for (AC3 is also very good in a different way). While 6 was humdrum and forgettable, most tracks here in Assault Horizon are downright offendingly commercial and unoriginal, imitating conventional Hollywood movie music, with some Middle East sound clichés. I also found Rio Hamamoto's ramblings unpleasant.

The track Undercover -while simple- is really good.

Last edited by DanteLectro; Apr 12, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
I couldn't disagree more, i really don't like this new direction the series' music went, starting with AC6.
Word, even starting with AC5.. all those military style tunes are a waste of space to me.
Then again my fav Ace Combat OST is 3 ELECTROSPHERE, by miles.
Seeing Cedille happy Nakanishi isn't featured on recent Ace albums makes me kinda sad :/
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:28 AM

I would rather have Okubo gone and keep Nakanishi. Okubo though at least was at par with Keiki here than his odd pieces in the last installments. I would say that some character and flavor is lost in this album, but still its full orchestral. I don't know why you guys saying that Nakanishi was left out. I think he was busy with AC 3D Rumble.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:32 AM

Okubo composed some of the greatest tracks in the series: Lifeline (AC4), White Bird parts I & II (AC5), Melt Down, Dynapolis (AC2).
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:19 PM

Im not going to argue with that. I have yet to listen to AC4 and before. I'm still trying to catch up the the last three. Okubo stood out from the other composers, in that his style is a mostly percussive and more sound based, rather than music and emotional rhythm.