VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:48 PM

Do we even get to listen to the songs in this website?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 03:13 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

The only way to listen to music through vgmdb is with MAGradio.

I suggest you to read that post.
List of requestable (and listenable) albums is here.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:55 AM

Might as well say this now that a thread has started.

It sounds like Ippo Yamada did Wily Stage 2 in Rockman 7. The background guitar a minute in is a dead giveaway.

And for people like Phrostbite who want to listen to VG music:
Go on Youtube; there's tons of it there to listen to for free if you know where (and how) to look.

Megaman Zero music in particular, though (the originals, not the Remastered versions) is hard to find, so here's a helping hand

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...CD1B80C87A789F - Megaman Zero
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...8F42895624E741 - Megaman Zero 2

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 18, 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
It sounds like Ippo Yamada did Wily Stage 2 in Rockman 7. The background guitar a minute in is a dead giveaway.
All this speculation about MM7's so-called composer team seems to be based on the game's credits. However, that listed MM7's entire sound team and, as with other Capcom works, that includes separate composers, sound effects designers, sound programmers, etc.

Admittedly there could be more composers under weird pseudonyms than the two deciphered, but I expect most if not all the others are sound designers of various sorts.

My expectation that Ippo Yamada didn't compose anything for this release, but instead served a sound design role, as he had always done otherwise at Capcom (e.g. SSFII SNES, RE1 PSX). None of the sources that have said otherwise have been primary ones.

Given I've asked him directly about this, I'll know for sure soon enough and hopefully find out a bit more about the rest of the sound team.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
All this speculation about MM7's so-called composer team seems to be based on the game's credits. However, that listed MM7's entire sound team and, as with other Capcom works, that includes separate composers, sound effects designers, sound programmers, etc.

Admittedly there could be more composers under weird pseudonyms than the two deciphered, but I expect most if not all the others are sound designers of various sorts.

My expectation that Ippo Yamada didn't compose anything for this release, but instead served a sound design role, as he had always done otherwise at Capcom (e.g. SSFII SNES, RE1 PSX). None of the sources that have said otherwise have been primary ones.

Given I've asked him directly about this, I'll know for sure soon enough and hopefully find out a bit more about the rest of the sound team.
You officially win the awesome award

BTW, if you can spare the time, take a look at my attempts at composer identification for Rockman 1, 2 and 4 on the Rockman 1~6 thread, Rockman X1 and X5 on the X1~X6 thread, Rockman and Forte on the Chiptuned Rockman thread (the album that inspired all this) and Rockman 7, X7, and X8 on their respective OST album threads and give me your opinion. I think I've nailed the style for most of them and got the majority of their tracks correctly identified, and this just might crack one of the biggest VGM composer mysteries of all time. Now all I need to do is Sonic 3 and I'll pretty much be done.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 18, 2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 05:29 PM

I've read the sentence, but I still don't think it constitutes a reliable primary resource. I think it is just based on vague and misleading secondary sources listing the sound team credit. After all, it is the interviewer stating that, not Yamada himself and it's part of the introductory paragraph that the interviewee probably never read.

It's still possible Yamada was a composer for the game and that MM7 had a totally unique sound set-up. However, I think it is unlikely despite the numerous assumptions made to the contrary. Soon we will have confirmation either way.

I'd love to help with the other identifications, but I know less about classic Mega Man music than most Capcom soundtracks out there, unfortunately.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:38 AM

Here's the link that explains my latest edit to the notes section. It's the album's official page.

http://suleputer.capcom.co.jp/sulepu.../cpca1092.html

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 24, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Here's the link that explains my latest edit to the notes section. It's the album official page.

http://suleputer.capcom.co.jp/sulepu.../cpca1092.html
Does the composer breakdown come from there? That mostly looks like a tracklist.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Does the composer breakdown come from there? That mostly looks like a tracklist.
The back cover's got the artists. The breakdown is 100% the same as the Remastered versions. I was referring to the very last line and the whole alternate title thing for that one track, as it appears differently on the site than on the album itself.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 12, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:01 PM

@Chris

Forget what I said about Ippo doing Wily Stage 2. I know better now; it was the same exact person who did Wily Stage 1, who I believe to be Tatsuya Nishimura. That means that Ippo, at the bottom of the list, was most definitely just a SE person.

But please, do extract as much from Ippo as possible. See if he can agree to revealing any more individual credits to us fans, and to what extent.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Aug 16, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:42 PM

Has Tetsuya Nishimura ever been confirmed as a composer for anything? I always thought he was a sound designer/sound effects guy.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
Has Tetsuya Nishimura ever been confirmed as a composer for anything? I always thought he was a sound designer/sound effects guy.
Please research these things yourself before responding. That's what this site is for.

For example, I believe that track is done by Tatsuya Nishimura because (a) she is at the top of the list, and (b) the majority of the tracks have the same instruments (especially the bass) featured in Wily Stages 1 and 2. I just put 2 and 2 together.

Here's her page on this site http://vgmdb.net/artist/4165
And some info from non OST games http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...operId,143169/
Let these two sites be your primary sources of information.

Oh, and Sound Design is more often than not the same as Music Composition, especially when it's the only sound-related heading
ex. http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/s...ter-ii/credits
(Guess who's in the credits)

Thank you.

And now to finally put something Rockman Zero-related on here. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CcCgldnNA
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Please research these things yourself before responding. That's what this site is for.
Thank you.
I've done my research, thanks. Nishimura never did any music composition while at Capcom. That mobygames page you linked to just proves this.

And just because they were listed first on the credits means jack. It was a generic "sound" label encompassing the composers and sound designers. Where's your proof? Oh right, you have none.

Do some research, my ass.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

In other words, Tatsuya Nishimura has never been confirmed as a composer for anything (at least for Capcom).

Wasn't that easy?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Please research these things yourself before responding. That's what this site is for. Thank you.
*rolls eyes*
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:27 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I suppose we should have a "sound staff" role type for ambiguous credits taken from game staff rolls.

(by the way, according to this page Tatsuya Nishimura is male)
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Oh, and Sound Design is more often than not the same as Music Composition, especially when it's the only sound-related heading
ex. http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/s...ter-ii/credits
(Guess who's in the credits)
What? Considering Shimomura and Abe composed the original arcade version, Nishimura & Sakaguchi are most definitely credited towards sound design/sound effects/arrangement for the SNES version.

Not to mention, if you were to use your "primary sources of information" you would see that Nishimura is almost always credited under sound effects.

Last edited by strugglepoo; Mar 13, 2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:16 PM

Scrapped Beat (The one with Tomozawa as a composer) is the same case as Setsuo with Theme of Zero; it references Rockman X. Specifically, Vava 2.
(The name itself is also a BIG Hint)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ofkvmx39Fs - Scrapped Beat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIEcb0_piwo (Vava 2) (compare to 0:27-0:52 of Scrapped Beat)
Vava 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haFqNTKQPqQ shares the same melody as Vava 2 (listen to the downward inflection in each), so it, therefore, is also composed by Makoto Tomozawa.

Lastly, this should make Makoto's name here dark blue, just like Setsuo. Here's the ultimate proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oR7Ld67-uM at 1:07 (not listed under Music); Makoto is instead listed under Special Thanks at 2:06

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Aug 16, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:45 PM

Would not mind a new version of this, with the Collection versions of everything. Should have been released alongside the 2011 thing.

edit: No idea what I'm doing. The EXE 4/4/5 album has that funny title too, I don't like the idea of it as a display title for a few reasons (that title is missing the "game title" part, and the first album did not have this title). As for the other change... I don't think we need to go over this again, revert if you wish

Last edited by Despatche; Mar 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 09:36 AM
Trusted Editor

Fixed slight typo on the tracklist, track 2.24 is Old Life Space on booklet, and not Old Space Life.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:46 PM

I was recently going through this album and noticed something. Shouldn't 1-24 "End Title" be credited to both Setsuo and Ippo Yamada? The track is more-or-less a tiny, bite-sized jingle based on Setsuo's Zero theme which is track 6. As of now the track is only credited to Yamada.