VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:32 AM

Default Crackdown on VGM (copyright thread)

Looks like the days of having youtube links of various game soundtracks are over for certain new albums. Yuzo Koshiro albums (Bare Knuckle, Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune, etc.) are getting copyright violations and pulled down. I wonder why the industry started doing this.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1 View Post
Looks like the days of having youtube links of various game soundtracks are over for certain new albums. Yuzo Koshiro albums (Bare Knuckle, Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune, etc.) are getting copyright violations and pulled down. I wonder why the industry started doing this.
Some of Supersweep's releases are also affected.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:07 AM

They should have started a lot sooner, but better late than never. EDIT: Maybe they decided that iwth the recent demise of MEGAUPLOAD and 'other' file-sharing services, this was a nice time to do it... or again, they simply said "because why not".
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440

Last edited by ilef; Sep 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 02:40 PM

Makes slight sense for albums still for sale (though free advertisement never hurt), but in general I really hope more copyright owners opt for monetization instead take downs.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 03:01 PM

Definitely makes sense for new releases. It's getting a little ridiculous the amount of copyrighted VGM material that appears on Youtube, even though I'm a little guilty myself when wanting to check out albums. If an album is out of print and no longer manufactured or available for digital release then I think it should be fair game.

Edit: Then that raises another question, if it is when a new release is directly ripped and uploaded from the physical copy then does that include previous rips from emulated files? What about games that have no releases at all?

Last edited by strugglepoo; Sep 6, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 06:02 PM

Copyright is copyright. If a copyright owner would want nobody to have access to his work he can enforce that at least from the law pov.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 09:16 PM

Heh, for the longest time, I thought uploading "videos" of music onto youtube was a safe get-around to sharing music. I'm almost surprised they've caught on (then again, I'm always surprised by the amount of albums I find on there).
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:34 PM

I fear the golden age of online copyright infringement is behind us! Even faithful demonoid has been dragged under (another thing where I sincerely wondered "why not five years ago?). I wonder also when this will extend to dedicated game music archives like Snesmusic or Project2612. Surely it's easier to guess that those are hosting music on them. Although with the amount of questionable credits on the latter it may be hard to decide who has rights to demand what get taken down.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnobium View Post
Although with the amount of questionable credits on the latter it may be hard to decide who has rights to demand what get taken down.
Yeah, it may be hard to decide who pulls the plug, but once that's out of the way... The 'what' part is rather easy to deal with: normally, companies hold rights to EVERY piece of music produced for "X" title and/or media... that includes unreleased stuff. They may not give a shit if you're sharing stuff they haven't published in some form, it's still their property. And about websites which host music in its native format, they may have 'fear' and wipe out/make private the whole database at the first cease-&-desist notice they get.... Or, at least, I've seen it happen in the past.

The current situation sucks for some VGMusic fans, but reason is within the companies.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnobium View Post
I wonder also when this will extend to dedicated game music archives like Snesmusic or Project2612.
The only "official" input we got in all the years were positive, often constructive informative comments by composers (if any at all). Besides most people simply not caring to begin with I guess archives likes these (which are only a tiny part of all the archived data available, most is not documented as well) fly under the radar simply because most people also don't bother trying to figure out how to play non-standard audio files. Youtube is very popular and easy to use, no comparison.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:23 PM

A number of my videos including VGM have been tagged with the "Your video may include the following copyrighted content:", as claimed by Victor Entertainment, Inc. All of them were Namco soundtracks. So far, none have been blocked.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnutz View Post
A number of my videos including VGM have been tagged with the "Your video may include the following copyrighted content:", as claimed by Victor Entertainment, Inc. All of them were Namco soundtracks. So far, none have been blocked.
This is rarely a huge issue. Unless you uploaded a direct copy of the song from the album, most of these complaints are thrown away if you contest them.

I discovered this when I was dealing with Nintendo and their complaints about the super mario brothers theme. In the 2011 Penn State Homecoming Parade, a float came past the camera blasting the theme on some large speakers for about ten seconds. The people were dressed up as Mario and Luigi and various enemies. Nintendo flagged the video as a copyright violation.

When you get one of these flags, you can contest it through a link on Youtube's website. The law states that when you contest a claim, the only actions available to the copyright holder are to do nothing, or to sue. If the copyright holder doesn't sue, then the default action is to permanently re-post the video with no restrictions. This procedure is specified in the DMCA.

Since Nintendo wasn't going to sue over a clip of someone walking down the street playing one of their songs (and they certainly wouldn't have won), the restrictions were removed and the clip is now monetized. I suppose that they might have sued if it was a track direct from one of their soundtracks.

The bar to these companies taking action (a lawsuit) is so high that few will actually protest a counterclaim should you make one.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintin3265 View Post
This is rarely a huge issue. Unless you uploaded a direct copy of the song from the album, most of these complaints are thrown away if you contest them.
So all of them are direct copies of the songs from their albums. Initially I didn't think it would be an issue since I see this all over youtube and none of the publishers seem to care. In any case, they seemed more like "hey we know what you did" warnings. Nothing has actually been taken down yet (unlike my like 9th generation copies of the Cliffhanger LD arcade game which were eventually blocked, heh).