VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:03 PM
Trusted Editor

Default Your favorite non-VGM/anime artists

Hey there,

what do you guys (and girls) listen to apart from VGM and anime soundtracks? List some of your favorite artists, maybe also explaining a bit why you like them.

I'm splitting my list here in western and asian artists. Album suggestions are contained inside square brackets.

Western:
  • Meat Loaf (my favorite artist, coined (with Jim Steinman) the term 'Wagnerian rock', the 'Bat Out of Hell' album trilogy is probably his most amazing work) ['Bat Out of Hell II']
  • The Corrs (I'm a sucker for celtic/irish style *g*) ['Unplugged']
  • Phil Collins (Another Day in Paradise, do I have to say more?!) ['Serious Hits...Live!']
  • Poets of the Fall (hard to explain, have a very distinct style, strong vocalist) ['Carnival of Rust']

Asian:
  • Angela Aki (the living proof that you don't need any fancy dress for being absolutely amazing in a live concert) ['TODAY']
  • Akiko Shikata (a can't exactly pinpoint why I like her, but her voice gives me the chills - in a positive way) ['RAKA']
  • KOKIA (a voice so fragile, but at the same time so powerful) ['Coquillage: The Best Collection II']

Now it's your turn!

Greets,
Tobias

EDIT: I'm aware that Phil Collins, Poets of the Fall, Angela Aki, Akiko Shikata and KOKIA were involved with soundtracks in one way or the other (composer, vocalist, etc.) - however my focus here is on the works outside of this area.

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Aug 11, 2010 at 03:06 PM.