VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:20 PM

Lightbulb About Super Street Fighter II SFC

Okay, i have lately been wondering who did this version of SSFII's OST, there are credits on SFII World Warrior and Turbo, but not in SSFII. I have seen some people who assume Ippo Yamada, but from what i have heard. he just did some of the sound effects, no music here. So in this case, who was responsible for the music on SSFII on the SFC? Was it the same people as the Previous two? Was it the same with one or two more added? When i listen to it and really look into it, i can clearly tell there is more than one person doing this one. But who they are i ponder.

One of the people seem to be the same person who did the SFC port of Muscle Bomber, this person would have been the one who did Guile's theme, Ken's theme, and a few others from what i can tell, but there are others that use a similar programming style but it sounds way different like different people worked on it, unlike many games where it has more than one composer but they stay more consistent with the rest and allow it to conform better, not so much here.

My guess as to one of the people are Yuki Iwai, Isao Abe, and possibly Setsuo Yamamoto(something about guile's theme in this version sounds similar to his usual style, also it looks put together in a similar fashion to X-Men MA's music) and maybe another one or two? I read somewhere Bun Bun did it, but i can't say whether or not he did anything with it. And if he did, i doubt he was alone due to the differences in many tracks. And could Yuko have had anything to do with it?

Sorry if this seemed like a silly topic, but it was something i had interest it. If anyone managed to read this stuff somewhere, please let me know.

Also, did the same people have any involvement with the MegaDrive version? Or maybe just one of them, and the one/s that did this one were responsible for the ones that sound closer to the SFC and just redid it that way and didn't do the ones from the SFC version that sounded different on the MD? Just a guess.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:12 PM

Here's three good pieces of information.

1) Yasuaki Fujita had absolutely no role in this. The only two Capcom SFC games he contributed to were Final Fight 2 and Breath of Fire. He also had absolutely no role in any of the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games.
http://www.hcn.zaq.ne.jp/first_circl...n_shoukai.html

2) Toshio Kajino and Syun Nishigaki were the Sound Supervisors for the SNES version of Street Fighter Alpha 2. This tells me that, like the SNES versions of Street Fighter II and Street Fighter II Turbo, the original sound staff was involved to some degree. Whereas Isao Abe was definitely involved in both the arcade and SNES versions of SFII & SFIIT, Syun Nishigaki was definitely involved in both the arcade and SNES version of SFZ2. [I think Toshio Kajino only did sound effects for this one, as he usually does]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMWtEXLhUA4#t=15m10s

3) Street Fighter II: Champion Edition had similar sound staff amongst different versions of the game.
-The Genesis version had sound effects by Tatsuya Nishimura (same as SNES SFII games) and Tadashi Joukagi, who are credited in that same order for the Turbografx version.
-The Turbografx version also includes Sound Software Design Credits for Yoshihiro Sakaguchi and Yasushi Ikeda (same people and order as SNES SFII Turbo).
-As for the music design, it's definitely different between the two versions (Tadashi Joukagi, Setsuo Yamamoto for Genesis; Mari Yamaguchi, Isao Abe for Turbografx), but that just makes the Turbografx version even closer to SNES because of Abe's inclusion, even though he does a lesser share in Turbografx than in SNES.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFKBgMGpNf4#t=5m55s - Genesis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSsOYIqSegE#t=8m33s - Turbografx

So what does this mean for SSFII for SNES? I'd say Syun Nishigaki and/or Isao Abe worked on this just as they did the arcade version, as with the SNES versions of SFII and SFIIT. Perhaps Yuki Iwai also had a role in the music. Ippo Yamada's sound effect credit, however, is absolute.

As for SSFII for the Genesis, I'd say Ippo Yamada's sound effect [not sound program] credit carried over, just as Tatsuya's did for Champion Edition. As for music, It could be Setsuo again, if's he's as consistent as Isao is to the arcade and SNES versions.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 29, 2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 01:44 AM

Well, i can definitely hold Setsuo Yamamoto and Yuki Iwai for candidates.

Setsuo always seems to use these effect enhancers with his tracks, every game(or almost) he has done he does this, RMX, X-Men MA, and maybe SFZ1/2. Guile's theme uses these same effect enhancers the setsuo RMX tracks and X-Men MA tracks have. When i sample swap Guile's theme with X-Men MA samples, it even sounds very close, the only difference is a few things altered to suit a particular sample, or else it would sound awkward.

Yuki Iwai, well some of them have many things in common with how the RMX2 songs were put together, which Chill Penguin from RMX1 uses, an alleged Yuki song, which basically puts out further proof she did that song. Anyway, i noticed she always seems to have her instruments fade and often has this sped up hat sample(hard to explain unless you extract the music and look at how it was put together) that nearly every Yuki SFC song has. If there is any song that i can say is a likely yuki song, it is T-Hawk's theme, the strings have that same fade effect and the sped up hat is used in there. Dee Jay's theme also uses these effects(except it's for the brass rather than the strings as it has no string sound in this song). There are a few other ones that do this, but that's not the point, lol, just making a point here.

If syun did any, i have found a few that use that same echo effect heard in the arcade version, ones like Cammy's theme uses it, M.Bison/Balrog's theme, Zangief's theme and few others, if this is correct, then it seems with the SFC he uses a very hard heavy and strong vibrato effect. I also heard that he was involved on the SFC version of Muscle Bomber, which not only sounds very similar to SSFII on the SFC, but it also uses that same heavy vibrato effect, which is the case with every song in there, wheras SSFII does not do this. It also uses a layering effect similar to Zangief's SSFII SFC song.

As Isao Abe, i am not totally sure i got him all figured out, though i get the feeling he handled Sagat's theme. And it does sound put together in a similar manner to that of the first SFC two, just altered to fit the samples, of course. And the hats sort of sound like guy's SFZ theme, i don't know. I also suspect he uses instrumental blending, he does so with Sagat's theme and Ken's theme uses blending, so i guess this is his work?

Well, anyway, if i am going to use an unofficial breakdown i am going to guess this for their stage themes.

Ryu: Syun Nishigaki
E.Honda: Isao Abe
Blanka: Isao Abe(?)
Guile: Setsuo Yamamoto
Mike Bison: Syun Nishigaki
Ken: Isao Abe
Chun-Li: Isao Abe
Zangief: Syun Nishigaki
Dhalsim: ?(Isao Abe?)
Sagat: Isao Abe
Balrog Fabio La Cerda: ?(Abe?)
T-Hawk: Yuki Iwai
Fei Long: ? Definitely not Syun as he would never use that echo for the vibes.
Dee Jay: Yuki Iwai
Cammy: Syun Nishigaki
Lord Vega: Setsuo Yamamoto(Same Effect as Guile's theme)

Just my guesses.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:26 AM

What I want to know is why they used different samples between the US & JP versions.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:50 PM

I have wondered that too. Some of them sound like they wanted it closer to the arcade original, yet some of them actually make them deviate from the arcade even more, like the synth brass is closer to the arcade one than the brass that is rarely used in the original(japanese) version. Not to mention many of them sound much worse than the ones from the japanese version, now granted i don't care for either, and they both sound like the samples explode out of the speakers, but the US one was made much worse, the guitar they used sounds like if the guitar from the japanese version had a whooping cough, and they use the brass sound in very inappropriate places, and it just sounds awkward. I also noticed the US also uses this weird reverb effect that just makes it sound much worse.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:35 AM

Hm. Does anyone think they can contact someone who worked in the sound department for something like this? Maybe Ippo Yamada knows? I know he seemed to know who composed the music to Rockman 7. Maybe someone here knows his e-mail or something? I'm a little nervous to ask this at the risk that it might be a dumb question, but this might be a way of finding out. But i am not sure if he speaks english or not is the problem. I don't know, maybe i'm trying to bite off more than i can chew. But thought i'd give this a shot.

Tags
capcom, famicom, nintendo, super