VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 22, 2016, 01:13 PM

Thumbs up COMPOSERS who should get more ANIME projects

*EDIT: The thread title should be named: COMPOSERS who should get more ANIME projects, sorry for confusing title.
Please if is this checked by some administrator, please change thread title.

This is little bit strange question, but I believe that everyone has his/her favorite composer who is forgotten or didn´t get so much assigments in todays anime scene.

So I will start with my names:
I already mentioned few names before:

Tomoki KIKUYA: his blends of guitar/rock spound & orchestra is quite unique and I would like see his works outside of box od RomCom series.

Yasunori IWASAKI: master of slap bass & fusion orchestral work with strong jazz-rock-funk elements. Momokyun Sword has some nice funky tunes but no soundtrack released because of obscurity of anime.

Takayuki NEGISHI: Carcaptor Sakura composer & frequent arranger for Tanaka KOHEI, still no soundtrack from shonen GEIST CRUSHER series. Again mixer of various styles in best way.

Osamu TOTSUKA: BISMARCK, SAMURAI TROOPERS composers with frequent colaborator Takahashi IKE

Ken MURAMATSU: piano man with nice sense of rhythm & specific arrangements.

Takeshi NAKATSUKA: big band sound at the best. It is always great to hear this type of music in anime.

Masamicz AMANO: Give this man anime series. Thank you Shiro for using him as orchestrator, but why he isn´t scoring Berserk series...

Please join debate. It would be great to hear your opinnions.
All the best
Porter

Last edited by Porter; May 22, 2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old May 22, 2016, 01:31 PM
VGMdb Staff

Souhei Kano - his only work is Fractale, one of best orchestral anime scores in recent years.

Yuji Yoshino - his only work is Spice and Wolf. His traditional/celtic style music would work great for certain types of anime.

Natsumi Kameoka - only work so far is KanColle. I'm sure she will get more work in the future. She is a great orchestrator and very popular right now.
Old May 30, 2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
Yuji Yoshino - his only work is Spice and Wolf. His traditional/celtic style music would work great for certain types of anime.
Not anime, but he is providing BGM for this game: http://www.otomate.jp/psychedelica/aa-nisus/sound/

From anime composer I am missing scores by Conisch. This man has some unique way of orchestration. It would be great to see him work on mecha anime again.
Old May 31, 2016, 08:20 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
Not anime, but he is providing BGM for this game: http://www.otomate.jp/psychedelica/aa-nisus/sound/
What a coincidence. That must be his first soundtrack in years. Thanks for the heads up.

It looks like Frontier Works is handling the music production so I hope for a soundtrack.
Old May 22, 2016, 01:53 PM

Hideki Naganuma - it'd be nice to see him compose for more anime. He has done a remix for Gintama and two tracks (alongside supervision and executive production) for Air Gear, and having him playing a larger role of composing would be awesome

Wall5 Project - a group of composers who composed for two animes, Air Gear and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds. They done a good job of blending anime music and JSR-inspired music

Tomonori Sawada - hasn't actually composed for a full fledged anime, but he did do music for the DS game Blazer Drive (some of his tracks are featured in the anime cutscenes)

Hideaki Kobayashi - has done work on three animes, but I think he should do more IMO
Old May 23, 2016, 08:19 AM

Shinji Miyazaki: Pokemon Company exclusive composer. I don't know if it's ok to consider him in this list cuz he's been active like all this time but his wonderful music really gets (unfortunately) unnoticed outside the Pokemon community.

Takayuki Negishi: Cardcaptor Sakura is the only score you need to see how magical his music is.

Shota Horie: He's mainly working on theme songs, but all the tracks I like from Strike the Blood OST are composed by him. He has composed nice piano pieces and fast paced battle themes that blends electronic elements, dubstep and piano works perfectly.

Shinkichi Mitsumune: He may not be able to do bombastic music like Kato or Sawano, but his piano pieces and catchy themes are just the best. He's done some nice orchestral themes too, like Passionate Duelist.

Yoshihisa Hirano: God of 18th Century Classical Music style in anime. I wonder what happened to him.

Takeshi Watanabe: Just when I thought To LOVE-Ru OST was good, he did an even better job on Darkness. One of the best SoL composers imo.
Old May 23, 2016, 09:05 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLBGM View Post
Yoshihisa Hirano: God of 18th Century Classical Music style in anime. I wonder what happened to him.
He took a break for one year to focus on his contemporary music. The first album was released last month: http://vgmdb.net/album/57811

He is now back to writing film/television scores. In fact, he has a drama soundtrack coming out next week. Hopefully he will get to do an anime soon.
Old May 26, 2016, 04:29 AM

Shigeomi Hasumi: I think he did great job on score for Sasameki no Koto and then he disappeared from anime scene.

Kazunori Maruyama: Nice action orchestral scores for Get Ride! AM Driver and for Transfromer Superlink

Toshiyuki Omori: Interesting scores for Amagami series and after that nothing related to BGM in anime.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 07:25 AM

If he can *finally* compose some instead of only arrange... and -god-forbid- have some of his work released:

Shuhei Naruse.

Others: Yutaka Yamada. Ken Arai. Great potential with those.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 08:00 AM

It is interesting to see this thread after two years.
Tomoki Kikuya is composing quite a lot but still his main part is slice of life and comedy series.

Masamicz Amano still only arranging and providing occasionally some brass compositions which are excellent.

I think that also Mina Kubota (my favorite female composer) should get lot more work in anime. I like her strong groovy compositions.

Shogo Kaida composed 91 Days which has nice Italian sound and than nothing.

Shigeo Komori is another talented composer who isn´t seen a lot in anime scene.

Yuya Mori after exquisite orchestral work for Black Clover OVA which should earned him lot of anime projects he got...nothing.

And where is ASSUMED SOUNDS, onoken ... it is quite lot of people

P.S. The best news for me was return of Jun Ichikawa and I hope that he will get more work now.

Last edited by Porter; Nov 3, 2018 at 01:54 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:49 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Yuya Mori after exquisite orchestral work for Black Clover OVA which should earned him lot of anime projects he got...nothing.
Actually, he's currently in charge of the music for Super Dragon Ball Heroes.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:30 PM

Great thread guys,

I'll throw in Keiichi Oku. It's nice he is tutoring the next generation of composers but he's not that old and Ashita no Nadja is my favorite anime score OF ALL TIME.

Second Masamichi Amano as composer (though he does MORE than arranging for Sagisu, let's be honest), Souhei Kano, Natsumi Kameoka and Yoshihisa Hirano in classical mode.

Tomoyuki Asakawa: Japanese Korngold. Since Candidate for Goddess he switched to harp playing only. But he still scores commercials and recently arranged for the Nier Album, there's a new Wataru project but the chances of him returning are very slim.

Hitoshi Sakimoto: RomeoXJuliet was great. A shame he only gets no budget game scores these days.

Koichiro Kameyama: Classical talent.

Misa Chujo: It would be nice to see her on a bigger project.

Yu Tsuji: Dantalian no Shoka is a masterfully crafted chamber score. More please.

Kan Sawada: Also known as the Doraemon composer. I hope he gets another SciFi project eventually.

Yoko Kanno: I know, I know, but its been a while since her last one.

Hajime Mizoguchi: No anime work since his breakup with Kanno, such a talent.

But I'm very glad that Kohei Tanaka, Shiro Hamaguchi, Hayato Matsuo, Takayuki Hattori and Toshihiko Sahashi have a big comeback.

Last edited by VIN; Nov 2, 2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinphonic View Post
Great thread guys,
Second Masamichi Amano as composer (though he does MORE than arranging for Sagisu, let's be honest), Souhei Kano, Natsumi Kameoka and Yoshihisa Hirano in classical mode.
Are you suggesting something like ghostwriting in sense of creation of original composition not only arranging them by M.A. for Sagisu my friend?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 06:24 PM

Definitely agree with Yuji Yoshino & Shogo Kaida. I'd love to hear more out of both of them.

Takeshi Hama: It looks like he might be doing more anime now, but I'm hoping he doesn't get stuck doing just Idol shows. I'd like to hear more in the vein of what he did for Devil May Cry and Maoyu Mao Yusha.

Yasushi Ishii: 70s rock, Funk, Electonic, Trip-Hop, I love everything he's put out and would love to here him do more anime work.

Makoto Yoshimori: He's got steady work doing Natsume Yujincho, but I'd like to see him expand his reach beyond what he's done with Takahiro Omori. I especially think he'd make a fantastic horror soundtrack.

Tsuneo Imahori: Obviously he's still around doing guitar for Taku Iwasaki and whoever else, but it would be nice to see him in the composer's chair again.

Last edited by xQdoomQx; Nov 2, 2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQdoomQx View Post
Takeshi Hama: It looks like he might be doing more anime now, but I'm hoping he doesn't get stuck doing just Idol shows. I'd like to hear more in the vein of what he did for Devil May Cry and Maoyu Mao Yusha.
You might be interested to know that Takeshi Hama was employed by Nintendo some years ago and he worked on The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (alongside several other composers such as Mahito Yokota and Hajime Wakai), which is a soundtrack worth checking out overall and I'm sure some people in this forum reached out to him to know which tracks he composed for that, and that also happen to be some of the best in the entire soundtrack. A great shame that this game never got a standalone full soundtrack release outside of compilation or arrangement albums.

I definitely found it interesting that he left Nintendo shortly after that game's release and has been working as a freelancer ever since. He's a great composer and definitely should have more projects, be it anime or even more Zelda games.

To contribute to this thread, I'd actually like to hear some of my favorite video game composers such as Yasunori Mitsuda, Motoi Sakuraba and Yoko Shimomura work on anime a bit more often.

Last edited by Frostwraith; Nov 28, 2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwraith View Post
You might be interested to know that Takeshi Hama was employed by Nintendo some years ago and he worked on The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (alongside several other composers such as Mahito Yokota and Hajime Wakai), which is a soundtrack worth checking out overall and I'm sure some people in this forum reached out to him to know which tracks he composed for that, and that also happen to be some of the best in the entire soundtrack. A great shame that this game never got a standalone full soundtrack release outside of compilation or arrangement albums.
Yeah! I knew the Skyward Sword connection. I'd love to hear him come back to TLoZ. Honestly, there are tracks off of the Maoyu Mao Yusha soundtrack that are exactly what I would want out of a new Zelda game.

Another answer to the original thread, but in a slightly different vein, KOHTA YAMAMOTO. Sure, he's getting work, but is he ever going to get his own soundtrack? So far he's only done collaborations or arrangements, but I think he's more than proven himself a capable composer.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Yeah! I knew the Skyward Sword connection. I'd love to hear him come back to TLoZ. Honestly, there are tracks off of the Maoyu Mao Yusha soundtrack that are exactly what I would want out of a new Zelda game.
Well, there's a reason to take a listen to that soundtrack. I think his contributions to Skyward Sword were some of the best parts of the soundtrack so I'd love to hear more of his work.

He probably isn't coming back to Zelda unless Nintendo hires him again and they already have a lot of other capable composers working on the series but it would be nice if he could get more anime or even other video game works.

Skyward Sword's soundtrack wouldn't have been the same without fantastic songs like Fi's Theme or Lanayru Sand Sea, although the other composers also did a lot of impressive and memorable tracks.

Again, I reiterate: it's a great shame that game never had a proper soundtrack release.

Quote:
Another answer to the original thread, but in a slightly different vein, KOHTA YAMAMOTO. Sure, he's getting work, but is he ever going to get his own soundtrack? So far he's only done collaborations or arrangements, but I think he's more than proven himself a capable composer.
Definitely agree, and I think it's only a matter of time until that happens.

Yamamoto's debut work in Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga interested me, whereas Sawano's portion really wasn't up to the standards he set up in the fantastic 1st season and movie soundtracks that show him to be capable of much more than his now trademark bombast, which is exactly what he did for Kyoto Saga aside from a few standout tracks.

Blue Exorcist had Sawano show a lot more restraint and musical variety compared to other anime works he's done, so his approach to Kyoto Saga was a bit disappointing. I think Yamamoto did a better job in this regard.

Sawano should take a break from working on dramatic action-heavy shounen or mecha shows and work on something different like romance, slice of life or horror. The last time he did was in the 2015 NHK morning drama Mare, so it's been a while since he stepped outside his comfort zone.

And while I'm on the topic of composers stuck in working on the same thing, I think Yugo Kanno is on that trap with JoJo. I liked the idea of each part having its own composer. Kanno isn't a bad composer at all, but it feels like his work on JoJo Part 5 so far is more of the same kind of music as what he did in Parts 3 and 4. Seeing as the story takes place in Italy, it's such a missed opportunity to not focus more on Italian music and give Golden Wind a more unique sound. Taku Iwasaki would've been perfect for this part, to be honest, considering some of his past works featuring Italian opera pieces. It's also early to judge the whole soundtrack based on just a few episodes, so this is just me being nitpicky. lol

Another composer I'd like to hear more in anime: Takafumi Wada. He's mostly been something of an "assistant composer" for Sawano and the two collaborate often, but he's quite capable and should get more works on his own. I really liked his music in The Seven Deadly Sins, which also had some really nice Celtic-inspired songs by Yamamoto for its 2nd season. They should just have Wada and Yamamoto take over this series and let Sawano go, to be honest. Sawano's output in 7DS 2nd season and movie was really uninspired overall. Almost as if he doesn't want to work on the series anymore and has to do so out of some contractual obligation. Considering Aniplex and their love of advertising Sawano's name on their shows, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

Last edited by Frostwraith; Dec 1, 2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Well, there's a reason to take a listen to that soundtrack. I think his contributions to Skyward Sword were some of the best parts of the soundtrack so I'd love to hear more of his work.
Oh, it's a fantastic soundtrack, I highly recommend both volumes. The track "魔族的崇拝" (track 9 on the first volume) particularly makes me think of Zelda. It has a very similar Dead Can Dance-esque vibe as the temple songs from Ocarina Of Time.

Quote:
Definitely agree, and I think it's only a matter of time until that happens.

Yamamoto's debut work in Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga interested me, whereas Sawano's portion really wasn't up to the standards he set up in the fantastic 1st season and movie soundtracks that show him to be capable of much more than his now trademark bombast, which is exactly what he did for Kyoto Saga aside from a few standout tracks.

Blue Exorcist had Sawano show a lot more restraint and musical variety compared to other anime works he's done, so his approach to Kyoto Saga was a bit disappointing. I think Yamamoto did a better job in this regard.

Sawano should take a break from working on dramatic action-heavy shounen or mecha shows and work on something different like romance, slice of life or horror. The last time he did was in the 2015 NHK morning drama Mare, so it's been a while since he stepped outside his comfort zone.

Another composer I'd like to hear more in anime: Takafumi Wada. He's mostly been something of an "assistant composer" for Sawano and the two collaborate often, but he's quite capable and should get more works on his own. I really liked his music in The Seven Deadly Sins, which also had some really nice Celtic-inspired songs by Yamamoto for its 2nd season. They should just have Wada and Yamamoto take over this series and let Sawano go, to be honest. Sawano's output in 7DS 2nd season and movie was really uninspired overall. Almost as if he doesn't want to work on the series anymore and has to do so out of some contractual obligation. Considering Aniplex and their love of advertising Sawano's name on their shows, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.
Yeah, as much as I like Sawano, his sequels tend to be comparatively lacking. Both Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga and Seven Deadly Sins 2nd season, while not out-right bad, per se, were lacking the distinguishing features that differentiated the first OSTs from the rest of his discography. Though I will say, the new tracks for Thunderbolt Fantasy that have shown up in the show so far, save some new piano arrangements that don't do much for me, have been pretty killer.

And I agree with Takafumi Wada. I'd like for him to do his own stuff both in that I'd like to hear some stuff exclusively by him, as well as, in general, I don't really like when Sawano has co-composers. No mattar how good the co-composers or Sawano's material is by itself, everything Sawano does is so obviously Sawano, and everyone else is so obviously not. It never melds properly and always sounds really awkward to me...

But I digress... I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread into a Sawano discussion... :P
Old Nov 28, 2018, 05:55 PM

Actually, I don't suggest something like ghost-writing. The way I see it Sagisu and Amano are good friends and in addition to orchestrating for Sagisu, he lets him compose the "orchestral cues performed by the Warsaw Philharmonic" he then puts on his soundtracks or in other instances Sagisu just gives Amano melodic ideas he can do whatever he wants with it.

There's numerous evidence in the music and the circumstances of their music production but the most prominent example is a piece by Amano for Mushiking straight up copied for Sagisu's MAGI.

I see them not as two sepatate artists (composer/arranger) working together but rather as one entity (Maybe not so much Eva 3.0 but certainly since Berserk).

Last edited by VIN; Nov 28, 2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:47 AM

Ooo, another one would be Kiyohiko Semba. He's performed percussion on a few Anime, but his only composition credit is Bamboo Blade, and its combination of Taiko drumming and other ethnic percussion with freeform jazz makes for one wild ride. Not all of the tracks are killers, but the ones that are are just pure gold. I also enjoy that there are multiple tracks that breach the ten minute mark in length.

Last edited by xQdoomQx; Dec 6, 2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 09:21 PM

Thanks to CDJapan for mislabelling the Starwing Paradox soundtrack as being composed by Yoko Kanno (she just did the theme song), I just recently discovered Akio Izutsu. Wow! Has he got some cool stuff! The only anime projects he's had so far are "Φ Brain" and a small part of "Genius Party" though. Really hope he gets more in the future, his style is very unique and would do well in more anime.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 09:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks to CDJapan for mislabelling the Starwing Paradox soundtrack as being composed by Yoko Kanno (she just did the theme song), I just recently discovered Akio Izutsu. Wow! Has he got some cool stuff! The only anime projects he's had so far are "Φ Brain" and a small part of "Genius Party" though. Really hope he gets more in the future, his style is very unique and would do well in more anime.
Try his drama music. You won´t be disappointed. He is killer-fusion composer with power brass themes and what is best he is composing lot groovy-jazzy tracks.

If you like Izutsu you will aslo like Masahiro Tokuda or Akihiro Manabe.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I just recently discovered Akio Izutsu.
Here's some random ones (No Minshu no Teki or Black Scandal unfortunately)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97gcWjJYHHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slrGUtK_0ek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJdot8B3k84
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ3cQIqoPio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hDXFULavmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJh4N9ObPTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZngl8Ho3nA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzHgNQ2dEMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joeePESMK78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcyz9GwFE-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59UAFvLHVMo

Quote:
If you like Izutsu you will also like Masahiro Tokuda or Akihiro Manabe.
A full release of Juushinki PANDORA would be nice.

Also Yasushi Asada who did SHINOVI MASTER Last October (Does anyone know how to get the digital version?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VREgD3AyUnk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nP8iaQyZds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0uvFmt5BoQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klhXO-2143o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afst4XR2woE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Crki5FfQX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrpGEfNwuvY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7X7egDy_QE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFJfdAHp4b4

As well as Takatsugu Wakabayashi, Starving Trancer, Ryohei Sataka, Kota Yokoseki in recent terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw9tK17zJCc

Last edited by ladatree; Apr 12, 2019 at 04:33 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I've not delved too deep into drama soundtracks all that much. I admit I have a harder time getting into them compared to Anime and Video Game stuff, but there's no doubt that there's some great music coming from the drama side of things.

Ryohei Sataka is a newcomer that I've been real impressed with. "Release The Spyce," while some of it runs too far into modern EDM territory that I'm not crazy about, has a lot of good stuff in it.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 03:00 PM

The best place is to just start somewhere. You could always start new and work back.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/VPCD-86276 (End of May)
Old Mar 6, 2020, 03:46 PM
Trusted Editor

Yasuo Higuchi - Surprised no one else mentioned him before, but I'm glad to be the first. His work on After War Gundam X is fantastic yet underrated, much like the show itself, and I wonder why he doesn't have more anime projects.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 05:38 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFantomConvoy View Post
Yasuo Higuchi - Surprised no one else mentioned him before, but I'm glad to be the first. His work on After War Gundam X is fantastic yet underrated, much like the show itself, and I wonder why he doesn't have more anime projects.
He's been basically retired for the last decade. He's almost 70 years old.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:58 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
He's been basically retired for the last decade. He's almost 70 years old.
True, but even so he never got many projects even in the 90's or the 2000's.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 05:49 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFantomConvoy View Post
I am big fan. He has unique sound.
His concert a TV commercials work are also great.
Cinema-kan last year released his Nikkatsu movie soundtrack Maruhi Shikijo Mesu Shijo
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/CINK-69
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:31 AM
Trusted Editor

This thread is old, so I wonder if I can still continue, but I have a few additions:
Megumi Ohashi - MS Igloo and Galaxy Force, though she's grown out of that phase where she was still under Sahashi's wing.
Kazuo Nobuta - I know he might be a bit too old now (especially since 1949), but his work for Dynamic Pro OVA's & other Bandai-associated robot anime productions is just so delightful.
Tatsumi Yano - Same issue as above, but I'd certainly like it if he could make a comeback as well.

Last edited by TheFantomConvoy; Mar 15, 2022 at 04:58 AM.