VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:47 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Default PCCB-00056: Street Fighter II -G.S.M. CAPCOM 4-

Tracklist should be reworked maybe since lots of tracks name are incomplete (due to their very long names).
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:20 AM

Looks silly indeed. Should we just put something like "Magic Sword 1", "Magic Sword 2" and so on?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:37 AM
VGMdb Staff

This happened because the max length for tracknames was too short at the time this tracklist was added. It's much longer now though, so I'll go over it and fix the problems a bit later.

Last edited by seanne; Jun 26, 2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Jap done, will do Eng tomorrow.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 01:57 PM
VGMdb Staff

I've now done my best to clean up this entry and I did a re-translation of the tracklist.

As for the composers, the booklet gives 'ちゃんちゃこりん' as the composer for Carrier Air Wing/U.S. Navy and Magic Sword, but the arcade credits for Magic Sword gives credit to 'M.Gotoh' as seen in the image below. Judging by videos on youtube neither Carrier Air Wing nor Chiki Chiki Boys have any staff credits, though the booklet seems to indicate that the latter was done by ちよま~げ (known Alfh Lyra member).

Old Jun 28, 2009, 05:58 AM
VGMdb Staff

Where does Felix Mendelssohn come from?
arcadehistory.com confirms that M.Gotoh was the composer for Magic Sword, but there are no entries for Chiki Boys and Carrier Air Wing.
I'll check with the mame emulator.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:15 AM
VGMdb Staff

Ken's ending theme features Mendelssohn's Wedding March.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:27 AM
VGMdb Staff

Played all the revisions of Carrier Air Wing and Chiki Chiki Boys available on Mame, and no credit staff is available.
I have corrected a little beating error on the notes, to match the booklet.
What does this ちゃんちゃこりん stand for? A name?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

ちゃんちゃこりん is Chanchacorin, an alias of Manami Matsumae, in hiragana. M. Gotoh is also her (Manami Gotoh, her maiden name), so there's no discrepancy in the credits for Magic Sword.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:29 PM
Trusted Editor

The cover should be replaced by the front cover of the CD, not the booklet cover. Any other opinions on that?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:59 AM
VGMdb Staff

I re-open this discussion cause I want to catalogue the SonMay bootleg of the Capcom GSM4 album since many copies are are common on ebay.
Actually the only things I've found about this bootleg are these:

- it was released in 1994
- It comes with 2 stickers that are different from the one of the original release

Acoording to the SonMay CDs list (if correct) there's no GSM4 release
The list reported these SF albums:
GAME-022 Street Fighter II Image Album
GAME-023 Street Fighter II (Box Set 1/2)
GAME-024 Street Fighter II (Box Set 2/2)
GAME-103 Street Fighter 2 the Movie
GAME-116 Street Fighter ZERO
GAME-117 Super Street Fighter 2

EDIT: confirmed, it's GAME 23-24

Last edited by depa; Oct 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old May 28, 2010, 02:57 AM
Trusted Editor

I don't have a proof, but the release probably has two catalogue numbers, as there are also two CDs included.

GAME-023 Street Fighter II (Box Set 1/2)
GAME-024 Street Fighter II (Box Set 2/2)

Or do you know, what those two releases stand for?
BTW: why don't you ask that eBay seller about the catalogue numbers, I'm sure he still has this CD. Noone wants bootlegs

Last edited by suicider; May 28, 2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
ちゃんちゃこりん is Chanchacorin, an alias of Manami Matsumae, in hiragana. M. Gotoh is also her (Manami Gotoh, her maiden name), so there's no discrepancy in the credits for Magic Sword.
Is it necessary to credit both the same person under a different alias then? Or, opinions on that?

Pii, Oyaji, M.Gotoh, Chanchacorin, Felix Mendelssohn

are the composers listed

----------------------------

Oh, and to toss out, I guess:

D1
01~04: arranged by Alfh Lyra; Composed, 1 by Pii, 2~3 by Chanchacorin, 4 by Oyaji
05~20: composed by Chanchacorin
21~23: composed by Pii (I really don't know if there's a better person to guess for here since these are sound effects)
D2:
01~10: composed by Pii
11~20: composed by Alfh Lyra (ちよま~げ, or some known Alfh Lyra member)

Is this how it should most likely look given limited info? Anyone else agree/disagree?

Last edited by mercenary09; Jun 20, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:46 PM

Forgive me if this is a wrongful place to put this, but this is the best spot i can think of to put this.

Who did the SFII ' themes? The ones not used in the original, the shadaloo ending and end credits themes? Was it Isao Abe? The quality of them seem a little more similar to that of Sagat's theme, like the bass of the two, my guess is isao abe.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarukameiKasumo View Post
Who did the SFII ' themes? The ones not used in the original, the shadaloo ending and end credits themes? Was it Isao Abe? The quality of them seem a little more similar to that of Sagat's theme, like the bass of the two, my guess is isao abe.
G.S.M. Capcom 6, Booklet 3
http://vgmdb.net/album/733

Yoko herself refers to both of them.

EDIT (01/28): Also, this:
http://www.midiplex.com/works.html

ストリートファイターII -G.S.M.CAPCOM 4- (ポニーキャニオン)
  ※「ストリートファイターII 」オリジナル音源+アレンジ1曲を収録 --> Refers to original music (+sound effects?) and an arrange track (Spring Thunder)

キャプテンコマンドー -G.S.M.CAPCOM 5- (ポニーキャニオン)
  ※「キング オブ ドラゴンズ」オリジナル音源+アレンジ1曲を収録 --> Supports arrange of Spring Thunder for G.S.M. 4

バース -G.S.M.CAPCOM6- (ポニーキャニオン)
  ※「ストリートファイターII'」オリジナル音源2曲を収録 --> Refers to the 2 new tracks

天地を喰らう II ~赤壁の戦い~ -G.S.M.CAPCOM 7- (ポニーキャニオン)
  ※「パニッシャー」オリジナル音源を収録 --> Punisher = game where Yoko definitely only did music (so no sound effects for G.S.M. 4?)

Lastly...

ストリートファイターII (AC)
キング オブ ドラゴンズ (AC)
ブロックブロック (AC)
ポンピングワールド (PCエンジン CD-ROM2) ※アレンジ半数、作曲数曲担当

ストリートファイターII (SFC)
ストリートファイターII' (AC)
ストリートファイターII' TURBO (AC)
ストリートファイターII TURBO (SFC)
バース (AC) ※

The lack of the Genesis and PC Engine versions of SFII tell me that me that Yoko definitely contributed to the SNES versions directly despite not being credited in the latter game, as she left Capcom the month or two before its release.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jan 28, 2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:44 AM
VGMdb Advisor

In the liner notes, T Yomage comments in place of the original composer ("he"), for Chiki Chiki Boys. Seems he left Capcom. Any ideas who could be?
No idea about SF2's SE either.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 04:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Chiki Chiki Boys (Mega Twins overseas) credits Hifumi with sound design: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJaOKb7U5RM#t=5m15s.

I don't think anyone's figured out who he is, but if he left Capcom by 1991, that would explain a lot.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 05:55 AM
VGMdb Staff

Compared to the booklet, on the tracklist here there are reported to many script that are missing on the booklet itself.
Most : reported on the tracklist (example on track 6 to 13) are missing on the booklet.
I think they have to be corrected
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:22 AM
VGMdb Staff

Corrected tracklist respecting spaces and some special script like according the booklet, but I have still a doubt for some of these. For example there are reported these alfanumerical closed ①②③④ while we have used (1) (2) (3) (4) ecc...
What should we do? It would surely more accurate and it would save space since they are long names
Mod. what do you think about that?

edit. after research I've found few japanese sites that used these alfanumerical so I think is real correct now

Last edited by depa; Jun 8, 2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:17 PM

Is it okay to have Unicode characters in the English tracklist? I'm not sure if all programs are Unicode-friendly yet and it may be better to do the English tracklist another way.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 02:26 PM
Trusted Editor

I don't think you should be using any Unicode characters in an English tracklist. I just corrected a / to a / in another tracklist because it pulled up via the freedb query with the Unicode, and that's not going to work. It's a safe and fair assumption that English users are using an English OS and Japanese users are using a Unicode OS. We shouldn't be forcing Unicode characters into English tracklists for English-speaking users. I would revert the changes on this one and use (1), etc.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:25 PM

Agreed. I can change it back manually or someone can do a revert, whatever way is more agreeable.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:58 PM
VGMdb Staff

I don't agree guys, don't revert the ① and other circled digit characters with that uncorrect old stupid form (1), ect..... they match exactly the booklet, they safe space, also they are perfect to read and recognize subtracks.
Don't ask about English OS and Japanese OS, all tagging programs (mp3tag, tag to rename,ect...), audio software (winamp, vlc, foobar), last microsoft and apple OS support and comes natively unicode and they don't have any kind of problem.

Last edited by depa; Dec 25, 2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 06:55 AM
Trusted Editor

We'll leave it for a mod to decide then, but my stance is firm on the subject. Whether or not the OS or application is capable of supporting it, Unicode has no place in a non-Unicode OS or non-native Unicode environment (English).
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:40 PM

I was never a fan of how CAPCOM contained multiple themes onto a single track in most of their earlier G.S.M. albums.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:10 AM
Trusted Editor

Just stumbled accross this auction. Suppose it is a bootleg. Anyone has heard of such a reprint?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/RARE-CAPCOM-S...item4aab0381fa
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:05 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
Just stumbled accross this auction. Suppose it is a bootleg. Anyone has heard of such a reprint?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/RARE-CAPCOM-S...item4aab0381fa
mmm really strange, no cat.number on evidence but you can see the scitron logo down on the left cutted or bent. Maybe it's genuine.... I've made the question to the seller ...
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That is very strange. Looking through our database, it seems that Scitron stopped casette releases late in 1990, but this cassette would have been released in 1991. We don't have scans of many of them, but when we do, the Pony Canyon and Scitron logos are on the cassette label. Those casettes don't have any log on them. Now, this doesn't necessarily prove anything here, as this might be some kind of weird promo.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:17 AM

Track 4 "LOSE IN TWILIGHT" is an arrangement of "OPENING" and "ROUND5 BAY AREA1" by Manami Matsumae.
Credits taken from Final Fight Original Sound Collection.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 01:20 PM

One of the tracks from US Navy(Carrier Air Wing overseas) is missing from the OST. Anyone familiar with MAME? Has anyone did the sound test, it had a wonderful tune. Probably unused?
Old Mar 7, 2023, 11:33 PM

Can't find any missing song, so I guess the tune you remember is one of 6 unused tunes that are most likely in the sound test?

That's a lot of unused tunes. Poor composer(s).