VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:17 PM
VGMdb Staff

Notes reported that the 1st print of this album comes with a wrap-around obi like the Sing!! album of SF (check here: http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=62001).
All copies I've seen in the last times around the net don't have this wrap-around obi, while all copies of the Sing!! album have it. It sounds strange because this kind of obi is very difficult to remove.
Can someone could check his copy?

Last edited by depa; Oct 21, 2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:11 AM
VGMdb Staff

I've never seen a copy of this album with an obi either, those considering how similar this release is to the first print Sing!! album it seems likely that it had one. But I've removed that piece of information for now though as we don't have any confirmation.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:53 AM
Trusted Editor

Does anybody know if the 1st press came with a registry card, as I haven't seen any copies yet having this attached (same goes for my copy). The wrap around obi shouldn't exist, never came across a copy with this.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:00 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

OBI exist for this album.. (might not be the 1st print version though)
Here's the pic
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:15 AM
Trusted Editor

Yup, that's the 2nd press.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 05:15 AM
Trusted Editor

So here's the proof: no wrap around obi for the first pressing, but a seal instead. By the way: it should be the same with PCCB-00132, as I also never came across a copy with an obi and it's the same with the 1st press having a slipcase.

Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:16 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
So here's the proof: no wrap around obi for the first pressing, but a seal instead. By the way: it should be the same with PCCB-00132, as I also never came across a copy with an obi and it's the same with the 1st press having a slipcase.
Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but I think it's hard to consider that definitive proof if it's a second-hand copy. I just think it would be strange if Sing!! Street Fighter II was the only album+slipcase+calendar PCCB release that came with a wrap-around obi.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:45 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but I think it's hard to consider that definitive proof if it's a second-hand copy. I just think it would be strange if Sing!! Street Fighter II was the only album+slipcase+calendar PCCB release that came with a wrap-around obi.
Of course a picture of a sealed PCCB-00075 without an obi wrap-around is not a proof, that PCCB-00132 did not come with an obi. But as I said, if there's one release with slipcase but without obi, chances are high, that others also never got an obi. Furthermore I ran over about 5 copies of PCCB-00132, which were complete otherwise.

By the way: an additional clue could be, if Sing!! Street Fighter II lists the suggested sale price on the slipcase itself, maybe someone could check!? Because PCCB-00075 and PCCB-00132 have the price on their slipcase, which means they wouldn't need an obi necessarily (and PCCB-00075 obviously does not).
Old Jul 4, 2010, 01:00 AM
VGMdb Staff

I recently got the same copy that suicider has posted.
The slipcase comes with a protective plastic with the RED sticker. I'm pretty sure the plastic cover was the original sealed one since there aren't evidence that the sticker was glued onto the plastic in a second time.
It's about one year I've checked on the net and all the copies didn't come with the wrap-around obi like the Sing!! album.
It seems really the only obi in existence is the yellow one of the second simple release.
My last doubt is: does the case inside the slipcase come with the yellow obi in the first release? I don't think but I haven't a definitive proof.

Quote:
Does anybody know if the 1st press came with a registry card, as I haven't seen any copies yet having this attached (same goes for my copy). The wrap around obi shouldn't exist, never came across a copy with this.
yes first press has the registry card

Last edited by depa; Jul 4, 2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 02:50 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
yes first press has the registry card
D'Oh!
Well, thank's for the info though!

EDIT: this release is maddening me Just stumbled over an offer on Jap-Sai.com (Link) which has the cardboard sleeve AND the yellow spine card...

Last edited by suicider; Jul 4, 2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 06:20 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Of course a picture of a sealed PCCB-00075 without an obi wrap-around is not a proof, that PCCB-00132 did not come with an obi.
What I meant was that the picture of PCCB-00075 you posted doesn't necessarily prove that the slipcase didn't come with an obi, since we can't know if the package has been opened or not (it's just a resealable plastic slip after all).

Quote:
By the way: an additional clue could be, if Sing!! Street Fighter II lists the suggested sale price on the slipcase itself, maybe someone could check!? Because PCCB-00075 and PCCB-00132 have the price on their slipcase, which means they wouldn't need an obi necessarily (and PCCB-00075 obviously does not).
Here are some pictures for comparison:

Make of it what you will, but I agree at this point it does seem like 00075 didn't come with an obi for the slipcase.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:59 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
(it's just a resealable plastic slip after all).
Sorry, I've mistaken the plastic slip for a real seal, like it comes with all (?) other Scitron releases. So of course you are right, that this is no proof, that this release never had an obi. Although it's very unlikely.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:02 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
It seems really the only obi in existence is the yellow one of the second simple release.
My last doubt is: does the case inside the slipcase come with the yellow obi in the first release? I don't think but I haven't a definitive proof.
I can confirm the 1st print comes with the jewel case & the yellow obi.
Also comes with the 28 pages Calandar.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:37 PM
VGMdb Staff

Hey Mirkul, so did you get the first print with the yellow obi?
But is that inside the slipcase (like the second print) or is it outside and then different from the one of second print?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:11 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

It's inside, like the 2nd print.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:34 PM
Trusted Editor

So how can you tell? Have you bought a virgin copy ?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:20 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

It's not a personnal copy, but I do believe my source of information.

Slipcase is not sealed, but the package for the first print is complete.
It would be silly to sell the first print box with a second print album with the obi (?)
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:42 PM

Heyup -

As far as we know, the original print of PCCB-00075 comes with a spine card, outside cardboard sleeve and calendar.
The CD was re-issued at least 3 times afterwards (SFII was in its prime and demand was huge) but without sleeve and calendar this time.
Problem is, they are all but identical to the original - with spine printed PCCB-00075. We can never tell them apart.

It certainly has never had an outside wrap like the first print of that nail-bitingly awful 'Sing!! Street Fighter II' album discussed above.
That style wrap-around was often used in the 90s to display guest vocalists' names.

Peace!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:31 PM
VGMdb Staff

So if the Spine Card was available for first print, it can't be the same of second print because you say that it is outside the sleeve and calendar so it should have the middle portion (the one that touch the side) larger than the normal one.
Jap-sai do you still have that copy listed on your site? Please, could you make a make a photo of the obi like final proof?

Last edited by depa; Sep 28, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:28 AM

This is the problem - the spine card is the same!
The first print is identical to the second (with same yellow spine card) except it comes tucked away in a cardboard sleeve along with a calendar.
The re-issue(s) are identical - CD case and spine!
We defo have a few left of the first print package. We put a large pic of the front of the case (& spine) is on the site, and this pic has since been put on vgmdb.
Hope this helps!

Laters!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:54 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap-sai View Post
This is the problem - the spine card is the same!
The first print is identical to the second (with same yellow spine card) except it comes tucked away in a cardboard sleeve along with a calendar.
The re-issue(s) are identical - CD case and spine!
We defo have a few left of the first print package. We put a large pic of the front of the case (& spine) is on the site, and this pic has since been put on vgmdb.
Hope this helps!

Laters!
Ok, I thought the spine was outside the box and not inside.
Do you know if the Garou Densetsu image album has received the same treatment of the SF counterpart?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:47 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Do you know if the Garou Densetsu image album has received the same treatment of the SF counterpart?
I can almost vouch for it, that it did not come with the obi. I bought my copy from a seller who bought the copy new and kept everything as far as he remembers. Also the copy on castleofcollectibles.com does not show an obi and is otherwise complete.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:24 AM
Trusted Editor

Anybody knows more about Hiroshi Saitou? His guitar work is stunning, especially on the final track 'Fight it out', so I'd love to hear more from him. Could it possibly be 'Uppi' from the Game Music Festival 92 Live Album?
Old May 10, 2012, 12:03 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I checked liner notes and nothing, but you might be on something. Tatuji Yokoyama would fit as Tatsui.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 08:40 PM

What does "IMAGE" mean with all these Scitron albums? They seem to be all arrangements of some sorts, I don't know.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 07:42 PM

I also don't think 1st print copies with the slipcase had an obi - like KICA-1001 and KICA-1010. As I can't find a picture of the red sticker easily, here it is for reference:

https://i.postimg.cc/Z5xvhzq8/m85727269322-1.jpg